Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,317 members, 7,839,518 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence (371 Views)

Residents Flee Benue Community Over Resurgence Of Herdsmen’s Attacks, Killings / Resurgence Of Kidnapping Along Gusau-Funtua Highway Puts Travellers On Edge / CBN, Abokifx And The Resurgence Of Authoritarian Regulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by oxygen9gs: 3:50pm On Jun 10, 2023
I am pleasantly surprised by President Bola Tinubu's recent actions, although it is still too early to make a definitive judgment. Based on his decisions, he has demonstrated a readiness to address issues directly and move our beloved Nigeria forward. Here are my thoughts on some recent developments:

Subsidy removal: While this decision may cause short-term hardships, it presents an opportunity to let free market forces determine the price of commodities. It also eliminates the corruption associated with the subsidy regime, such as inflated consumption figures, falsified import amounts, and disincentives to efficiency. The higher prices will naturally regulate consumption (state governments are already recommending 3-day work weeks) and may even encourage remote work options.

Emiefele Suspension: The suspension of the CBN governor is a welcome development. His poor monetary policies have severely impacted the Nigerian economy over the past 9 years. The creation of dual exchange rates, which have significantly widened in recent years, has allowed arbitrage opportunities for individuals to make billions without creating real value or contributing to the actual economy. Additionally, his excessive printing of money through ways and means has been a major driver of inflation in Nigeria. His failed currency redesign resulted in hardships without achieving any tangible goals. The suspension of Emiefele is a step in the right direction, although it may take years to recover from the damage he has caused. The commitment to unify the exchange rate will also have a positive impact on the economy by incentivizing wealth generation through value creation rather than connections to the CBN.

Signing the electric bill: Allowing individuals, corporations, and state governments to develop their own independent power projects is a viable solution to the long-standing challenge of electricity generation and supply in Nigeria.

Meeting with diverse groups: One of the significant damages caused by the previous administration was the polarization of Nigeria along ethnic and religious lines. The current president's proactive steps to engage with people across political, religious, and ethnic backgrounds, as well as aligning governors, national assembly members, and labor unions towards a common vision of rejuvenating Nigeria, is commendable.

While it is still too early to make definitive conclusions, I see glimpses of Nigeria rising again howbeit from an unlikely source, and it fills my heart with joy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by Donjazet2: 3:58pm On Jun 10, 2023
Useless propagandists at work as usual.

2 Likes

Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by oxygen9gs: 4:38pm On Jun 10, 2023
Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by oxygen9gs: 4:40pm On Jun 10, 2023
Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by oxygen9gs: 4:44pm On Jun 10, 2023
Donjazet2:
Useless propagandists at work as usual.

It's unfortunate that some people find it challenging to separate personal opinions from factual statements. As I mentioned in my initial post, these are my views and not an endorsement of Bola Tinubu, as I'm not a particular supporter of him. My approach is more rational than emotional, and I'd prefer not to engage in debates fueled by emotion.

However, I firmly believe that when someone performs commendably, it's only fair to acknowledge it, regardless of personal feelings about the individual. As for my optimism about the future, it might be premature, but I'd rather maintain a hopeful perspective than succumb to pessimism.

Remember this quote: "Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today." - Thich Nhat Hanh. It's essential to stay hopeful, even in the face of uncertainty.

3 Likes

Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by lastmessenger: 5:04pm On Jun 10, 2023
This hyping it too early o. I want tinubu to succeed if supreme court does not sack him but lets be sincere he has not done anything yet apart from what we all have been expecting which is the fuel subsidy removal.
Soften the pedal on hyping him. We have a long way to go
Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by Isobug: 5:10pm On Jun 10, 2023
Nonsense, what is the positive effects in you in particular? He's busy scattering everywhere without plans and you are being impressed by unprepared announcement of subsidy removal and busy receiving guests at the villa every minute of the day.
Sacking Emefiele is the easiest thing to be done because he has no backing whatsoever. A supposed weak Jonathan suspended Sanusi with all the backings he has got.
Be praising irrelevancies
Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by oxygen9gs: 5:15pm On Jun 10, 2023
lastmessenger:
This hyping it too early o. I want tinubu to succeed if supreme court does not sack him but lets be sincere he has not done anything yet apart from what we all have been expecting which is the fuel subsidy removal.
Soften the pedal on hyping him. We have a long way to go

I concur with your viewpoint. That's precisely why I underscored at both the beginning and end of my post that it might be premature to draw conclusions. My comments were based solely on the decisions he has made so far. A defining characteristic of a competent leader is the ability to make timely decisions and take accountability for the ensuing outcomes and ramifications.

2 Likes

Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 10, 2023
oxygen9gs:

It's unfortunate that some people find it challenging to separate personal opinions from factual statements. As I mentioned in my initial post, these are my views and not an endorsement of Bola Tinubu, as I'm not a particular supporter of him. My approach is more rational than emotional, and I'd prefer not to engage in debates fueled by emotion.

However, I firmly believe that when someone performs commendably, it's only fair to acknowledge it, regardless of personal feelings about the individual. As for my optimism about the future, it might be premature, but I'd rather maintain a hopeful perspective than succumb to pessimism.

Remember this quote: "Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today." - Thich Nhat Hanh. It's essential to stay hopeful, even in the face of uncertainty.
The best antidote for Nigeria headless mobb is to ignore them.
Just ignore and ignore them.
They remain in griefs., the got stucked in denial.
98% of the children of hate still believe that PBAT is not the president.
They are really suffering from headless mobb syndrome.
Obi-diots syndrome
Elupi syndrome
Alaigbo syndrome.
Labour in vain syndrome.

2 Likes

Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by flokii: 5:19pm On Jun 10, 2023
See ehnn. that man Tinubu is nobody's mate in politics as far as Nigeria is concerned.

Notice how he is tying up loose ends before Ministers and new service chiefs will come on board. I wish he can complete the full auditing of our budgetary allocations to security before appointing service chiefs cos it is as if it is Nigeria's money enemies of Nigeria are using to fight Nigeria.

Did you know he ordered freezing of government MDAs accounts so monies won't develop wings and fly away? That's smart move in good leadership.

I pray God will give him health so he can restore Nigeria to glory. The man has everything and won't touch anything from government's purse the way I see it.

2 Likes

Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by oxygen9gs: 5:28pm On Jun 10, 2023
Isobug:
Nonsense, what is the positive effects in you in particular? He's busy scattering everywhere without plans and you are being impressed by unprepared announcement of subsidy removal and busy receiving guests at the villa every minute of the day.
Sacking Emefiele is the easiest thing to be done because he has no backing whatsoever. A supposed weak Jonathan suspended Sanusi with all the backings he has got.
Be praising irrelevancies
Indeed, decision-making isn't just about selecting the next step; it's about aligning that step with a long-term strategic vision. This might sound straightforward until we recall instances where urgent action was needed without ample time to prepare. A clear example is when a prior administration, lacking in competence, leaves the country heavily indebted, with 96% of our revenue dedicated to debt servicing. It's like using 96% of your salary to pay only the interest on a loan, not even the principal.

Such a predicament demands resilient leadership, capable of making tough, unpopular decisions for the greater good. An easier, yet ultimately harmful choice, would be to continue borrowing and printing money to maintain subsidies, further destabilizing the Nigerian economy while preserving temporary popularity. Unfortunately, the previous administration chose this path, unwilling to remove unsustainable subsidies, perhaps due to fear of losing an election or unwillingness to face public disapproval.

Finally, an additional point to remember is the importance of maintaining decorum in our discourse. We can have engaging, intellectual discussions without resorting to vulgar or derogatory language. This respectful approach not only keeps the conversation civil but also contributes to more productive and enlightening discussions.

2 Likes

Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by oxygen9gs: 5:39pm On Jun 10, 2023
Mankindman:

Obi-diots syndrome
Elupi syndrome
Alaigbo syndrome.
Labour in vain syndrome.
As we strive to call out wrongdoings, it's vital that we avoid falling into the same traps ourselves. While I might not agree with certain perspectives in a discussion, I firmly believe that resorting to insults or disparaging remarks is not a constructive approach. Although I'm not an ardent supporter of Bola Tinubu (BAT), I appreciate his recent leadership decisions and his track record of selecting competent individuals for governance roles.

I also hold high regard for Peter Obi's humility and integrity. Admiration or respect for an individual does not necessitate agreement with all of their viewpoints or becoming their fan. It's important for us to uphold civility in our interactions. Life in Nigeria can already be challenging; let's avoid adding to those difficulties by stirring up negative emotions. Let's focus instead on fostering a positive, respectful, and constructive dialogue.
Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by Isobug: 5:43pm On Jun 10, 2023
oxygen9gs:

Indeed, decision-making isn't just about selecting the next step; it's about aligning that step with a long-term strategic vision. This might sound straightforward until we recall instances where urgent action was needed without ample time to prepare. A clear example is when a prior administration, lacking in competence, leaves the country heavily indebted, with 96% of our revenue dedicated to debt servicing. It's like using 96% of your salary to pay only the interest on a loan, not even the principal.

Such a predicament demands resilient leadership, capable of making tough, unpopular decisions for the greater good. An easier, yet ultimately harmful choice, would be to continue borrowing and printing money to maintain subsidies, further destabilizing the Nigerian economy while preserving temporary popularity. Unfortunately, the previous administration chose this path, unwilling to remove unsustainable subsidies, perhaps due to fear of losing an election or unwillingness to face public disapproval.

Finally, an additional point to remember is the importance of maintaining decorum in our discourse. We can have engaging, intellectual discussions without resorting to vulgar or derogatory language. This respectful approach not only keeps the conversation civil but also contributes to more productive and enlightening discussions.
Because you wrote politely but intellectually, no further engagement. I enjoyed the your comment but I still stand on my point. Until there's a visible improvement in the economy, security and welfare of the citizens and the nation, he has not done anything worth praising
Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by oxygen9gs: 5:58pm On Jun 10, 2023
flokii:
See ehnn. that man Tinubu is nobody's mate in politics as far as Nigeria is concerned.

Notice how he is tying up loose ends before Ministers and new service chiefs will come on board. I wish he can complete the full auditing of our budgetary allocations to security before appointing service chiefs cos it is as if it is Nigeria's money enemies of Nigeria are using to fight Nigeria.

Did you know he ordered freezing of government MDAs accounts so monies won't develop wings and fly away? That's smart move in good leadership.

I pray God will give him health so he can restore Nigeria to glory. The man has everything and won't touch anything from government's purse the way I see it.

If this information is accurate then it is a good step.
Re: Unexpected Glimmers Of Hope: Nigeria's Path To Resurgence by AfonjaConehead: 9:54pm On Jun 10, 2023
Mankindman:

Obi-diots syndrome
Elupi syndrome
Alaigbo syndrome.
Labour in vain syndrome.
He says ignore obidients but all his posts are all about the same obidients,what a life of Sifia pains grin

(1) (Reply)

The Fate Of Bureau De Change Companies Following Exchange Rate Unification / Video: Drama As Adeleke Leaves Eid Ground In Anger Over Poor Seating Arrangement / Tinubus Hardent Supporter Cries Like A Kid On His Tiktok Page.. With Link..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.