Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,086 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? (872 Views)

Do Africans Have Any Widespread Religion Before The Advent Of The Europeans? / Tb Joshua - 'Pray Against The Interruption Of Democratic Practice (Throwback) / Perfect Religion: Why Do Some Pastors Emphasise Mala. 3:10 More Than James 1:27? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by DeezNutz200: 7:25pm On Jun 10, 2023
Don't bother bringing up Ethiopia, Africa is not a monolith and even then Christiantiy was bought to them by the Phoenician Greeks in the 4th century with St. Frumentius ordained as Ethiopia's first bishop.

Along with Islam and Judaism, Christianity was a religion born in the Middle East and bought waaay later to Africa by racist European missionaries that demonized our ancestor beliefs, traditions, cultures, and way of life. Read about the White Mans Burden: to civilize the uncivilized heatherns in their words. Before their arrival, many ethnic tribes already had a way to connect to god, spirits to connect with their ancestors and so on yet the same Africans brainwashed into Christiantiy now do their colonial master biddings and demonize portion of their own culture.

Its sad and even pathetic to think that desendants of slaves such as those in the Caribbean and Brazil (speifically talking about Yoruba beliefs here) are closer to our ancestors and embrace their ancestors cultural practices more so than the so-called Africans do where it originated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYLWpmAgeE0

There is a famous African saying.

"When the westerners came, we had the land and they had the Bible. They asked us to close our eyes in prayer, and when we opened our eyes we had the Bible and they had the land."

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by PoliteActivist: 9:07pm On Jun 10, 2023
You are being economical with the truth.
The truth is, we used our gods to fight Christianity. We gave them our gods' sacred forests to build their churches expecting our gods would kill them off. Instead they took our gods to museums in Europe. They told us our gods were powerless. In the end they were proven totally right.
Same thing happened with them too by the way. When Christians were telling Romans that Zeus who helped them conquer the world doesn't exist, they were killed for blasphemy. In the end they were proven right!
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by DeezNutz200: 11:33pm On Jun 10, 2023
PoliteActivist:
You are being economical with the truth.
The truth is, we used our gods to fight Christianity. We gave them our God's sacred forests to build their churches expecting our gods would kill them off. Instead they took our gods to museums in Europe. They told us our gods were powerless. In the end they were proven totally right.
Same thing happened with them too by the way. When Christians were telling Romans that Zeus who helped them conquer the world doesn't exist, they were killed for blasphemy. In the end they were proven right!

Except they aren't.

Haitians defeated their enslavers with the help of Yoruba great spirits such as Ogun. Jamaicans led by Queen Nanny defeated the British with their African gods as did Yanga Gaspar defeated their Spainish masters. Even then, when places like India was defeated and conquered for almost 200 years, they didnt give up their cultural practices of believing in Lord Shiva for a foreign one.

Are you honestly telling me that Africans were that weak willed? Christianity kept the black man and especially slaves docile with the lie that we had to suffer in life to be rewarded in the afterlife. Even today in black churches/Christianity you’ll notice the preachings are mostly to do with tolerating suffering and living in fear.

How else could foreigners such as the Chinese you read about in the newpapers mess with Africans today in their own land?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by PoliteActivist: 12:52am On Jun 11, 2023
DeezNutz200:

Except they aren't.

Haitians defeated their enslavers with the help of Yoruba great spirits such as Ogun. Jamaicans led by Queen Nanny defeated the British with their African gods as did Yanga Gaspar defeated their Spainish masters. Even then, when places like India was defeated and conquered for almost 200 years, they didnt give up their cultural practices of believing in Lord Shiva for a foreign one.

Are you honestly telling me that Africans were that weak willed? Christianity kept the black man and especially slaves docile with the lie that we had to suffer in life to be rewarded in the afterlife. Even today in black churches/Christianity you’ll notice the preachings are mostly to do with tolerating suffering and living in fear.

How else could foreigners such as the Chinese you read about in the newpapers mess with Africans today in their own land?

You are mistaken. Vast majority of Africans enslaved in the America's became Christians till.today, including all those places you mentioned, and they were the ones who led the rebellion.
You keep forgetting that Christianity is not a whiteman's religion, that the whites also fought against it and lost.
The india you mentioned is actually proof whites didn't need Christianity to colonise a place. All they needed was a dane gun!
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by Kobojunkie: 1:08am On Jun 11, 2023
DeezNutz200:
Along with Islam and Judaism, Christianity was a religion born in the Middle East and bought waaay later to Africa by racist European missionaries that demonized our ancestor beliefs, traditions, cultures, and way of life. Read about the White Mans Burden: to civilize the uncivilized heatherns in their words. Before their arrival, many ethnic tribes already had a way to connect to god, spirits to connect with their ancestors and so on yet the same Africans brainwashed into Christiantiy now do their colonial master biddings and demonize portion of their own culture.

Its sad and even pathetic to think that desendants of slaves such as those in the Caribbean and Brazil (speifically talking about Yoruba beliefs here) are closer to our ancestors and embrace their ancestors cultural practices more so than the so-called Africans do where it originated."
What is more sad and pathetic is that you expect people to follow African gods simply on the basis that they,the people were born in Africa or to parents who have roots in Africa. Why not demand your gods reveal themselves and give the people reasons to follow them? undecided

Do you really have little to no confidence in your gods that you feel you need to resort to bullying people into worshipping them much like the other? undecided
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by DeezNutz200: 1:08am On Jun 11, 2023
PoliteActivist:

You are mistaken. Vast majority of Africans enslaved in the America's became Christians till.today, including all those places you mentioned, and they were the ones who led the rebellion.
You keep forgetting that Christianity is not a whiteman's religion, that the whites also fought against it and lost.
The india you mentioned is actually proof whites didn't need Christianity to colonise a place. All they needed was a dane gun!

It was forced upon us, we had no choice in the matter because our ancestors were the lowest possible class held & were treated like property not as human beings with rights. So, we had to accept it just like we had to give up our cultures, names, languages, and traditions or be tortured and killed, thats why black people outside of Africa excluding Africans who have recently immigrated to the Americas are Christian today.

Before the Haitian revolt, Dutty Boukman, called Boukman because he could read as slavers didn't allow slaves to learn how to read or write led a voodoo ceremony incorperating Ogun for enslaved Haitians at Bois Caiman by drinking the blood of a pig that ignited the beginning of the Haitian Revolution. It wasn't done by that ghastly religion kept us in bondage.

Also, how does that refute my point that Indians didn't give up their traditional beliefs after being colonized whereas Africans were more than willing to accept a foreign religion at the drop of a hat as soon as the missionaries from Europe landed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by DeezNutz200: 1:11am On Jun 11, 2023
Kobojunkie:
What is more sad and pathetic is that you expect people to follow African gods simply on the basis that they,the people were born in Africa or to parents who have roots in Africa. Why not demand your gods reveal themselves and give the people reasons to follow them? undecided

I'm actually an Atheist but you could say the same thing about Christiantiy as well that Christians expect others to follow without any evidence.
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by Kobojunkie: 1:12am On Jun 11, 2023
DeezNutz200:
■ I'm actually an Atheist but you could say the same thing about Christiantiy as well that Christians expect others to follow without any evidence.
Oh ! You are an atheist demanding others worship gods you do not even acknowledge existence of? How utterly ludicrous that makes your entire thread.undecided
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by DeezNutz200: 1:18am On Jun 11, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Oh ! You are an atheist demanding others worship gods even you do not acknowledge? How utterly ludicrous your argument is reduced even more to. undecided

While I might not acknowledge any gods myself, I still respect what my ancestors back in Africa developed over the millenniums only to see it demonized by the majority of hypocritcal post-modern Africans claiming whats unafrican and professing to protect "African culture and values" while championing on a unAfrican religion and foreign values. My point is that its ironic the enslaved children are closer to their ancestors than the actual African man is in Africa.
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by Kobojunkie: 1:37am On Jun 11, 2023
DeezNutz200:
While I might not acknowledge any gods myself, I still respect what my ancestors back in Africa developed over the millenniums only to see it demonized by the hypocritcal modern Africans claim whats unafrican while practicing an unAfrican belief system.
My point is that its ironic the enslaved children are closer to their ancestors than the African man is in Africa.
Your ancestors literally believed everything was operated by gods--- the very breath of their nostrils were conducted by the gods every moment of their lives. Yet you, an athiest, are convinced that it your unbelief somehow you show respect for your ancestors? You think say na mumu you dey address? undecided

2. You mean more ironic than an African who claims to have absolutely no belief in any of the gods(or supernatural beliefs) of his own ancestors who he claims to have respect for? undecided
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by PoliteActivist: 1:39am On Jun 11, 2023
DeezNutz200:

It was forced upon us, we had no choice in the matter because our ancestors were the lowest possible class held & were treated like property not as human beings with rights. So, we had to accept it just like we had to give up our cultures, names, and traditions or be tortured and killed, thats why black people outside of Africa excluding Africans who have recently immigrated to the Americas are Christian today.

Before the Haitian revolt, Dutty Boukman, called Boukman because he could read as slavers didn't allow slaves to learn how to read or write led a voodoo ceremony incorperating Ogun for enslaved Haitians at Bois Caiman by drinking the blood of a pig that ignited the beginning of the Haitian Revolution. It wasn't done by that ghastly religion kept us in bondage.

Also, how does that refute my point that Indians didn't give up their traditional beliefs after being colonized whereas Africans were more than willing to accept a foreign religion at the drop of a hat as soon as the missionaries from Europe landed.

You are probably an African-American. Africans in Africa were never treated as property, nor did they ever give up their names, traditions, or culture till today.

Only 2% of Haitians are voodoo neither is Voodoo an African religion (see below).
A higher percentage of Indians are Christians. There are millions of Christians in India.
Unlike Africa where almost every family have their own god, 80% of the Billion+ Indians are Hindu, making it harder to evangelise

Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by DeezNutz200: 1:58am On Jun 11, 2023
PoliteActivist:

You are probably an African-American. Africans in Africa were never treated as property, nor did they ever give up their names, traditions, or culture till today.

Only 2% of Haitians are voodoo neither is Voodoo an African religion (see below).
A higher percentage of Indians are Christians. There are millions of Christians in India.
Unlike Africa where almost every family have their own god, 80% of Indians are Hindu, making it harder to evangelise

Close but no.

I'm Bajan, Barbados, within the Caribbean but not African American.

I know the majority of Haiti is Christian today but that still doesn't lessen the fact the the revolution was started and won by African native beliefs and not the Christian god. Also, I never said Africans in Africa were forced to give up their identities but the ones sold as slaves certainly were hence why we have no idea what ethnicity we come from in Africa. We are just a mix of African tribes with roots from Africa. So, we had to form a new identity using what they gave us "black".

Also, Voodoo has the stigma it has today because of western projections that connect the religion to witchcraft and death.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by PoliteActivist: 2:46am On Jun 11, 2023
DeezNutz200:

Close but no.

I'm Bajan, Barbados, within the Caribbean but not African American.

I know the majority of Haiti is Christian today but that still doesn't lessen the fact the the revolution was started and won by African native beliefs and not the Christian god. Also, I never said Africans in Africa were forced to give up their identities but the ones sold as slaves certainly were hence why we have no idea what ethnicity we come from in Africa. We are just a mix of African tribes with roots from Africa. So, we had to form a new identity using what they gave us "black".

Also, Voodoo has the stigma it has today because of western projections that connect the religion to witchcraft and death.

Well, Congrats on your ancestors surviving the middle passage and slavery.
The truth is that people follow religion that works for them or that they see working for others. There's a reason only 2% of Haitians is Voodoo, yet that's the voodoo capital of the world. If you are Viodoo and people can see you live a pathetic life, why would lots of people become voodoo?
If you were a mess but straightened up once you become a Christian why won't people want a piece of that? That's human nature
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by PoliteActivist: 3:25am On Jun 11, 2023
PoliteActivist:

The truth is that people follow religion that works for them or that they see working for others. There's a reason only 2% of Haitians is Voodoo, yet that's the voodoo capital of the world. If you are Viodoo and people can see you live a pathetic life, why would lots of people become voodoo?
If you were a mess but straightened up once you become a Christian why won't people want a piece of that? That's human nature

That's exactly how Christianity conquered Rome by the way. Spectators could see for themselves that the Christians being executed and fed to animals were
joyous and were somehow better people and better off than the people doing the executions. They knew they wanted a piece of that badly - no need for preaching or force. Till Constantine's own mother and wife and generals became Christians leaving him no choice really
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by hashtagged(m): 3:37am On Jun 11, 2023
DeezNutz200:

It was forced upon us, we had no choice in the matter because our ancestors were the lowest possible class held & were treated like property not as human beings with rights. So, we had to accept it just like we had to give up our cultures, names, languages, and traditions or be tortured and killed, thats why black people outside of Africa excluding Africans who have recently immigrated to the Americas are Christian today.

You have a choice now, there is no Dane gun pointed at you. So you can follow him or follow the devil, the choice is up to you have a good day
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by vdestro: 5:44am On Jun 11, 2023
Even this phone and english and clothes you are using is unafrican
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by KnownUnknown: 5:58am On Jun 11, 2023
All these back and forth about indigenous gods and foreign gods are useless. Nigerians and too many other Africans are too busy answering the most basic questions to worry about intellectual or philosophical activities such as indigenous vs foreign gods and the effect on society.

The basic question that must be answered before discussing gods is, “what shall we eat?
Unfortunately, that question isn’t be answered satisfactorily.
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by KnownUnknown: 6:01am On Jun 11, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Voodoo or Christianity has nothing to do with success or being “straightened out”. They are -
ideologies equally based on nonsense. If Christianity “straightened” anything out, African counties would be leading economic powers.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by KnownUnknown: 6:05am On Jun 11, 2023
PoliteActivist:

That's exactly how Christianity conquered Rome by the way. Spectators could see for themselves that the Christians being executed and fed to animals were
joyous and were somehow better people and better off than the people doing the executions.

I doubt this comment jives in reality in anyway. Keep in my the penchant for lies when it comes to religion and the sheer absurdity of the claim.
Do you really think people would be joyous as they are fed to animals?
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by orisa37: 6:08am On Jun 11, 2023
TO KNOW THE GRAND ORDER DOMINION BETTER, IT IS BETTER TO BE BI- AND OR MULTI-RELIGIONIST.
I AM IFA(WIZARD), AN ISLAMIST AND A VERY GOOD CHRISTIAN. SO NO PRIEST(JUJU), IMAM(SHEIKH ALFA) OR PASTOR(ALADURA), AND POPE(MONK) OR PRIMATE(MONKEY) CAN BAMBOOZLE ME, TINUBU AND SHETTIMA ANYHOW.

FROM ORUNTO27 ORISAORUNTOSPEAKS.
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by vdestro: 6:09am On Jun 11, 2023
KnownUnknown:

Voodoo or Christianity has nothing to do with success or being “straightened out”. They are -
ideologies equally based on nonsense. If Christianity “straightened” anything out, African counties would be leading economic powers.

Yet African politicians fear having a christian ruler! A true Christian not the fake churchgoing ones who equate churchgoing with Christianity.
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by orisa37: 6:19am On Jun 11, 2023
YOU ARE TALKING NONSENSE. SUCCESS IS SECURITY AND SAFETY. IT IS HIGH LEVEL ELECTRONIC PHILOSOPHY. WHEN AFRICANS SPIN ON THEIR HEADS, EU, UK, US AND RUSSIA SHOULD RUN. WORSE THAN ARMAGEDDON IS IN THE OFFING.

FROM ORUNTO27 ORISAORUNTOSPEAKS
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by KnownUnknown: 6:22am On Jun 11, 2023
vdestro:

Yet African politicians fear having a christian ruler! A true Christian not the fake churchgoing ones who equate churchgoing with Christianity.

African, and all, politicians only fear knowledgeable people or people capable of harming them. Christianity is a nonstarter and a Christian ruler is usually more corrupt than the norm.
Why is that? Well, if the magic Jew can forgive you for any and everything, why not act with impunity? Steal $1m and pay $100k to the “man of god” who invites you to the altar for special prayers while the sheep bleat hallelujah.
All supported by the book of Hebrew bullshit and psychotic fantasies. Abraham giving 10 percent of the loot to Melchizedek comes to mind.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by vdestro: 6:31am On Jun 11, 2023
KnownUnknown:

African, and all, politicians only fear knowledgeable people or people capable of harming them. Christianity is a nonstarter and a Christian ruler is usually more corrupt than the norm.
Why is that? Well, if the magic Jew can forgive you for any and everything, why not act with impunity? Steal $1m and pay $100k to the “man of god” who invites you to the altar for special prayers while the sheep bleat hallelujah.
All supported by the book of Hebrew bullshit and psychotic fantasies. Abraham giving 10 percent of the loot to Melchizedek comes to mind.

You are just making a foolish noise. It is already clear that politicians will never allow a Christian (not fake churchgoing folks but a true and real Christian) to rule.
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by KnownUnknown: 6:34am On Jun 11, 2023
vdestro:

You are just making a foolish noise. It is already clear that politicians will never allow a Christian (not fake churchgoing folks but a true and real Christian) to rule.

Call it whatever you want, I know you lot have problems with reality.
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by orisa37: 6:49am On Jun 11, 2023
VERY GOOD QUESTION. SEARCH FOR SUCCESS. THE WORLD IS DANGEROUS AND SERIOUSLY UNCHARTED. JUST IMAGINE HOW RUSSIA SOLD ALASKA TO US? WHERE DID RUSSIA GET ALASKA FROM? RUSSIA RUDELY INVADED UKRAINE. WHY? DOES RUSSIA THINK THAT IT OWNS THE WORLD? VERY SOON PUTIN WILL INVADE THE HEAVENS AND GOD'S PHERE. PUTIN IN HIS FIRST LIFE WAS A JEW WHO ROCKETED JESUS UPWARDS AND OUT OF THIS WORLD IN RESURRECTION STYLE.
NOW AFRICANS WANT TO KNOW WHY. TINUBU, REMI AND SHETTIMA ARE SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS IN IFA, CHRISTIANITY AND ISLAM. MAY THE GRAND ORDER DOMINION DIRECT THEM WISELY.

FROM ORUNTO27 ORISAORUNTOSPEAKS.
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:56am On Jun 11, 2023
What is UNAFRICAN RELIGION? undecided
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by xproducer: 7:23am On Jun 11, 2023
@ Op... First, and contrary to your assertion... the first report of the message of the Gospel of the Lord YESHUA, the CHRIST in Africa was through the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts chapter 8... many centuries before the arrival of Europeans on the continent in the 1400s and beyond.

Second, the message of the Gospel is soul-saving and good... but evidently a number of foreigners who brought it were flawed, exhibiting and adding cruelty to the message under the mantra of introducing the threes Cs (Commerce, Civilization and Christianity).

Since the fall of man... “The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?" - Jeremiah 17:9

Third, all those who have become true believers of/in the Lord YESHUA, the CHRIST and have abandoned extensive idol worship for the only true Almighty GOD often declare... "Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ" - Philippians 3:8

"And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." - John 17:3
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by vdestro: 8:51am On Jun 11, 2023
KnownUnknown:

Call it whatever you want, I know you lot have problems with reality.

Says the one who already has problems with reality and living and you are just looking for who to join you. The very definition of misery loving and seeking company.
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by PoliteActivist: 10:13am On Jun 11, 2023
KnownUnknown:

Read the topic of the thread again. The question is why. The answer is that people can see Christianity working in other people's lives or it worked in their own lives. Example was Constantine - he believed it was what helped him win a tough battle
Re: Why Do Africans Practice An Unafrican Religion? by PoliteActivist: 10:52am On Jun 11, 2023
KnownUnknown:

I doubt this comment jives in reality in anyway. Keep in my the penchant for lies when it comes to religion and the sheer absurdity of the claim.
Do you really think people would be joyous as they are fed to animals?

Watch this short. If it doesn't convince you nothing will

56 seconds
https://youtube.com/shorts/BCm0LSHBLUI?feature=share3

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Food For Thought / Reason For Life / An Update About Nasfat Events

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.