Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,863 members, 7,813,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

My Barbing Business Is Dying - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Barbing Business Is Dying (1875 Views)

How My Business Is Dying / Invest 18k On Me For My Barbing Saloon / How Much Is Needed To Open A Standard Barbing Salon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Barbing Business Is Dying by Sirchiboy: 8:11pm On Jun 10, 2023
exactly 2 months now since I birthed this business.

On this day my barbershop was birthed... But we have barely operated for upto a month with hitches here and there.

First it starts with the non availability of professional barbers to run the business, all the barbers are either not interested or cannot give it their 100% when they get the job.

Many are frustrated with the poor patronage which is expected of any business or according to an article I read, they are "jealous" of their employer (still trying to figure this out).

All efforts via advertisement and physical search have proved barren as no barber has the patience to work or they are either no longer interested in a skill they learnt (instead have decided to rock the high-way(Yahoo)).

Well all said and done I want persons to know this and learn a lesson off my experience. Never invest in a business you have no skill (training) about.

As the Rent still counts, I continue to be hopeful

12 Likes

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by brain54(m): 8:15pm On Jun 10, 2023
Have you thought of learning barbing…

So you can run and manage the place yourself?

9 Likes

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Omihanifa: 8:17pm On Jun 10, 2023
Try and put play station inside the shop in other to generate income. If the PlayStation picks up, close the barbing and focus 100 percent on the PlayStation.

11 Likes

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by LikeAking: 8:22pm On Jun 10, 2023
Sirchiboy:

On this day my barbershop was birthed... But we have barely operated for upto a month with hitches here and there.

First it starts with the non availability of professional barbers to run the business, all the barbers are either not interested or cannot give it their 100% when they get the job.

Many are frustrated with the poor patronage which is expected of any business or according to an article I read, they are "jealous" of their employer (still trying to figure this out).

All efforts via advertisement and physical search have proved barren as no barber has the patience to work or they are either no longer interested in a skill they learnt (instead have decided to rock the high-way(Yahoo)).

Well all said and done I want persons to know this and learn a lesson off my experience. Never invest in a business you have no skill (training) about.

To make it in barbing, you must know how to Barb..

Or forget it.

Sorry!

Don't boda learning how to Barb..

I mean u must be a barber.

7 Likes

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by hippyj(m): 8:27pm On Jun 10, 2023
I opened a barbing saloon in 2018, it cost me more than 650k, I closed it on 2021 after it gulped up extra 200k to maintain and keep it afloat.

* No dedicated barber
* The ones that stayed gives excuse everyday
* I always renew rent from my pocket.
As you said, don't venture into business you can't handle( lack of experience/technical know-how).

17 Likes

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Sirchiboy: 8:32pm On Jun 10, 2023
hippyj:
I opened a barbing saloon in 2018, it cost me more than 650k, I closed it on 2021 after it gulped up extra 200k to maintain and keep it afloat.

* No dedicated barber
As you said, don't venture into business you can't handle( lack of experience/technical know-how).
Thank you bro.
What do you suggest?
Can I put makeup artist or photographer so that the rent won't expire?

1 Like

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Westerhoffe(m): 8:35pm On Jun 10, 2023
hippyj:

* No dedicated barber

LikeAking:

To make it in barbing, you must know how to Barb..

Or forget it.

Sorry!

Don't boda learning how to Barb..

I mean u must be a barber.

How I wish someone is here to read these comments... Perhaps he'll understand me better.
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Westerhoffe(m): 8:37pm On Jun 10, 2023
Sirchiboy:

Your business ain't dying bro… you invested in the wrong business... It's not your call… not your way. But if you can find someone whose way goes that lane, smiley you'd be tempted to open a second shop.

5 Likes

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by visaclick: 8:52pm On Jun 10, 2023
grin grin see another victim of motivation speakers. They will be yelling “run a business “ “ open a business” meanwhile they won’t tell you what to expect the risks and losses involved. I always say that if your business succeeds in nigeria, you were just lucky or you added some hook and crook. No business is sure. I remember watching too much tiktok and invested more than 500k into laptop selling, those laptops all rot im my shop. Someone that hasn’t fed himself is who you are expecting to purchase a laptop?
Any skill you have that is fetching you money even if it’s every 2months keep doing it. Even real estates agents that flip homes stay up to a year just to sell one house.
Things are extremely hard these days.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Martinsmine(m): 9:08pm On Jun 10, 2023
Some comments here are funny but OP try add more things to the saloon. Dont close it.. Add makeup as someone suggested or rather change the business and location.

1 Like

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Uten9z(m): 9:14pm On Jun 10, 2023
Sirchiboy:

Guy I feel for you. This is because I was in same position like you once and I paid for rent for 3yrs and this guys kept disappointing me to the point that we endeded up in police station because theyy stated selling my things.

The truth is if your not a Barbar yourself (I learnt to barb but am not) but nursed a dream of running a barber shop since from childhood, it will take grater grace, if not you will end up wasting money and like you added the youths we have this days are not patient to earn their creative handworks, they just want hammmer and flex that's it.

In my case I even offer to give it to anyone that is ready to be paying me for as long as he keeps the shop running but after 3months I returned and there was no one card for me, I stationed a pos girl to serve as a secretary but they con her and turn the shop to love nest + even smoke loud in the shop.

Last last I had close the place and one female hairstylist came and collected it and the place is now booming with customers in and out , but then I realized she's had been in the area and her baby daddy has a shop and his friends to the barbers that run me down but I thank God because she paid for some of my installations but some of my things are still left there.

I am simply telling my story to add to your experience not to discourage you or anyone but probably you may learn something from it and thrive to a better success in your case.
Good luck.

13 Likes

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by hippyj(m): 9:16pm On Jun 10, 2023
Sirchiboy:
Thank you bro.
What do you suggest?

My dear, I don't have any special advise to offer, as I said, mine failed.
Instead of spending more money there, I suggest you....
* Relocate it to a junction
* Look for street
* Look for someone who hasn't tasted money already (young boy) that will learn and handle it.
* Put it up for sale( use the money and invest in something you can control)
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by DrSam4(m): 9:54pm On Jun 10, 2023
Where is the location?
You pay Salary or percentage?

Reply Asap

Sirchiboy:

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by ghettochild(m): 9:56pm On Jun 10, 2023
Convert it to a Playstation game center

1 Like

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Sirchiboy: 10:09pm On Jun 10, 2023
DrSam4:
Where is the location?
You pay Salary or percentage?

Reply Asap

You balance me weekly.
Ogwashi uku
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by DrSam4(m): 12:24am On Jun 11, 2023
Sirchiboy:
You balance me weekly.
Ogwashi uku

Rent it out
Both your tools & d shop
Advertise it
Sign agreement oo
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by darealez(m): 4:42am On Jun 11, 2023
Sirchiboy:
Thank you bro.
What do you suggest?

Hi, I've gone through many of the comments here, and unfortunately they're mostly very funny.

Every businessman knows surviving a business can be challenging. This is whether you're skilled or unskilled in the domain.

Starting a business is not dependent on how much you can pump in or how skilled you are particularly in that trade. Rather, your ability to make right decisions and manage resources.

What's your business plan like?
How much do you pay barbers?
Salary or deal?
Are you doing anything differently or special at your saloon?
How much was put into awareness?
How much do you cut?

These and many more questions are to be asked. Talk to managers who have scaled through hard times in business.

If you can't barb, you'll have to offer professional barbers quality package to retain them, as they're your primary assets.

1 Like

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Ynix(m): 5:59am On Jun 11, 2023
Sirchiboy:

Can we talk and strategize around this, chat me up on 08184397113 let's do some brainstorming together
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by michlins(m): 6:40am On Jun 11, 2023
This is exactly why I don't take pity on people who say they are jobless. Barbing is a skill you can pick up within six months but you will see people (male and female) walking around looking for salary job in banks.

In this Nigeria, there's insane shortage of skills and experience. If you want to earn,pick up one and be good at it and you will earn a decent living.

Right now everyone wants to be a tictok star and earn forex including people who have no single content

Op, kindly find money and move to places like Ghana and see if there are people who are willing to work and bring them here. You will have to spend more but you will see to it that your business did not die

2 Likes

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by ITbomb(m): 8:08am On Jun 11, 2023
Every wise investor will tell you to run your business for at least 6 months before handing over to any professional.

And, try paying in commission + basic salary instead of just salary or commission.

2 Likes

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Egoat(m): 10:11am On Jun 11, 2023
Ignorance. grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Phoenix873: 10:20am On Jun 11, 2023
As a fellow barber with years of experience, my advice for you is to make inquiries about the other barbers within the town your barbing salon is located, they would normally have a set day, mostly Tuesdas, on which they come together for weekly meetings. Find out who their chairman or secretary is and try to see him one on one.
Tell him about the challenge you are facing in your nascent business and ask him to inform his members in one of their meetings that you need an experienced barber to be managing the shop for you.
You are unlikely to get one of the members there whose business is struggling, but you can request to have one of their experienced apprentice who is on the verge of doing freedom to come and be managing the shop for you. Such apprentices are usually eager to leave their boss, work and earn for themselves to gather money for their freedom.
Depending on how the business fares and how you treat them, they may or may not decide to remain parmernently in your shop working for you.

11 Likes

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Omihanifa: 1:53pm On Jun 11, 2023
Phoenix873:
As a fellow barber with years of experience, my advice for you is to make inquiries about the other barbers within the town your barbing salon is located, they would normally have a set day, mostly Tuesdas, on which they come together for weekly meetings. Find out who their chairman or secretary is and try to see him one on one.
Tell him about the challenge you are facing in your nascent business and ask him to inform his members in one of their meetings that you need an experienced barber to be managing the shop for you.
You are unlikely to get one of the members there whose business is struggling, but you can request to have one of their experienced apprentice who is on the verge of doing freedom to come and be managing the shop for you. Such apprentices are usually eager to leave their boss, work and earn for themselves to gather money for their freedom.
Depending on how the business fares and how you treat them, they may or may not decide to remain parmernently in your shop working for you.

Brilliant

1 Like

Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by kmaster007: 2:49pm On Jun 11, 2023
Reduce your fee
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by MercySpeak(m): 2:59pm On Jun 11, 2023
Where in Ogwashi-ukwu? I lecture at the polytechnic there. My brother can manage it for you(he just finished his HND and still around) let’s meet.

Sirchiboy:
You balance me weekly.
Ogwashi uku
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Inflencer212: 3:31pm On Jun 11, 2023
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Sirchiboy: 3:33pm On Jun 11, 2023
MercySpeak:
Where in Ogwashi-ukwu? I lecture at the polytechnic there. My brother can manage it for you(he just finished his HND and still around) let’s meet.

Court junction, post office side
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Harddiskng(m): 3:48pm On Jun 11, 2023
Sirchiboy:
….

Change the ownership structure, get 3-4 barbers. Each would work independently in the same shop and remit a part of their income to you weekly and keep the rest for themselves (this would motivate them to work hard).

You are the one that figured out each barber’s minimum weekly/monthly remittance to cover rent and make some profit.

These independent barbers would pool resources together to cover their operational costs eg electricity, fuel for gen etc.
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by Sirchiboy: 7:16pm On Jun 14, 2023
Shop closed down completely
Re: My Barbing Business Is Dying by michlins(m): 12:27am On Jun 16, 2023
Sirchiboy:
Shop closed down completely
chaii. That's rather very unfortunate. Regardless,use your experience from this to jumpstart any other investment

(1) (Reply)

Getting A Bureau De Change License / Must Read: What Is Happening In Ap (african Petroleum)? / Great Business You Can Start Less Capital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.