Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. (20991 Views)

Why Cyber Security Course? / Best Career Books For Year 2022 / Best Career Advice Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by o123456789(m): 9:20pm On Jun 10, 2023
Cyber security is your best bet when it comes to choosing the best career path in technology.

When some people hear the word cyber security what comes into their mind is how to develop antivirus or firewall software and you must be a programmer before you can qualify for a job role in cyber security, but are these assumptions true? the answer is capital no. Cyber security is one of the easiest career to pursue in technology, you don't need a degree to work as a cyber security person, what you need is just the right skills, unlike other jobs in which without certificate you cannot work, no cyber security is not like that, infact despite no certificate is needed you cannot see a quack in cyber security that is working like in other sectors, it is self regulatory, your skills will speak for you, and you cannot be in cyber security and be poor.

ADVANTAGES OF CAREER IN CYBER SECURITY
1. Remote or physical job opportunities.
2. You can own your own business or be employed by organizations.
3. Start up your own business at a very small cost.
4. Earn big salaries.
5. Opportunity to work for multiple companies simultaneously.
6. Work with little or no knowledge of coding/programming.
7. You don't need a degree. Only your skill is needed.
8. You will be a respected hacker etc.

JOB DESCRIPTION
Cyber security have so many branches but I will give job description about two branches I love and I have also worked in for a long time. The two branches are (i)Bug bounty hunting, (ii)Cyber threat intelligence.

BUG BOUNTY HUNTING
This is the area of cyber security in which you work from anywhere in the world, and your job is to find how a computer, website, database, CCTV, iot etc, can be hacked or manipulated for fraud and you are paid immediately or in a few days, in this job the more bugs/vulnerabilities you submit the more your pay, the least bug/vulnerability is priced at $200. Your employment is 100 percent guaranteed.

CYBER THREAT INTELLIGENCE
In this area your job is to get intelligence on cyber criminals for the purpose of knowing there tools and attack methods. This is a very good career path, you can be an expert witness in a case, or you can be hired by an organization to investigate a cyber attack.

**Ayanbe Francis Uzezi is a cyber security expert.

49 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by DAVIDMOE(m): 9:27pm On Jun 10, 2023
How possible will it be to secure job as a cybersecurity expert without degree?
Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by o123456789(m): 9:34pm On Jun 10, 2023
DAVIDMOE:
It is very possible, Google "bug bounty hunting". then learn from the master and you are good to go. Mind you it is not like Upwork or Fiverr thing in which you wait for customers, reverse is the case here, work is waiting for you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by emoboy4u: 12:06am On Jun 11, 2023
DAVIDMOE:
Don't let anybody deceive. it is difficult to secure with degree sef not to talk of no degree. Cybersecurity is not an entry level job.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by dextersec: 9:21am On Jun 11, 2023
Getting into cyber security is pretty straightforward even with zero experience in IT or programming, here's how I got started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECux2YI5_cI

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by o123456789(m): 12:40pm On Jun 11, 2023
emoboy4u:
Don't let anybody deceive. it is difficult to secure with degree sef not to talk of no degree. Cybersecurity is not an entry level job.
This your comment shows you don't know anything about cyber security, by the way do you have a degree in computer science? Let me tell you, don't comment on issues you don't know. Google the name Marcus Hutchins. This is a guru in cyber security without any form of certificate or degree, he is notable for stopping the global ransomware called WannaCry. And it will shock you to know that WannaCry was coded by Ramon Abbas aka Hushpuppi, always research before you comment. Finally I want you to know that the IBM X-force team are hackers without certificate or degree in computer science.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by emoboy4u: 5:08pm On Jun 11, 2023
o123456789:
This your comment shows you don't know anything about cyber security, by the way do you have a degree in computer science? Let me tell you, don't comment on issues you don't know. Google the name Marcus Hutchins. This is a guru in cyber security without any form of certificate or degree, he is notable for stopping the global ransomware called WannaCry. And it will shock you to know that WannaCry was coded by Ramon Abbas aka Hushpuppi, always research before you comment. Finally I want you to know that the IBM X-force team are hackers without certificate or degree in computer science.

Firstly, Hutchins is an exception, he stopped a global cyber threat which is a feat not any random Joe can achieve and uhm, he completed community college which a form of a higher education.

"... WannaCry was coded by Hushpupi" kindly share your source.

Every member of the IBM Xforce have some form of academic degree. It's apparent that the one that's not up-to-date is you sir.

Lastly, Let me put it this way. I'm not saying you need a degree to be an expert. What I'm saying is, a degree is the bare minimum for any organization to even consider you for a role or trust you with their network. You guys need to stop selling this "you don't need a degree to enter this IT field"

I still stand on the fact the Cybersecurity is NOT an entry-level role. It'll take you years of experience to be an expert.

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by Pelaiye2703(m): 9:37pm On Jun 11, 2023
emoboy4u:

Firstly, Hutchins is an exception, he stopped a global cyber threat which is a feat not any random Joe can achieve and uhm, he completed community college which a form of a higher education.

Every member of the IBM Xforce have some form of academic degree. It's apparent that the one that's not up-to-date is you sir.

Lastly, Let me put it this way. I'm not saying you need a degree to be an expert. What I'm saying is, a degree is the bare minimum for any organization to even consider you for a role or trust you with their network. You guys need to stop selling this "you don't need a degree to enter this IT field"

I still stand on the fact the Cybersecurity is NOT an entry-level role. It'll take you years of experience to be an expert.

Ten bottles of any drink of your choice on my name. I'm still surprised when we try to lure people to believe some I.T jobs are that easy. Like are you kidding?
Cybersecurity na ur mate??

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by emoboy4u: 6:10am On Jun 12, 2023
Pelaiye2703:

Ten bottles of any drink of your choice on my name. I'm still surprised when we try to lure people to believe some I.T jobs are that easy. Like are you kidding?
Cybersecurity na ur mate??
People think these are get rich quick schemes.

17 Likes

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by Edipet(m): 7:33am On Jun 12, 2023
emoboy4u:

please which tech is have entry level roles, I was also told that data science is not an entry level tech

2 Likes

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by xristos(m): 12:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
Thank you
Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by Dikaveli(m): 12:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
I wasted my time going for web developing

I am going back for cyber security or data analytics

9 Likes

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by kroger: 12:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
As a cyber security engineer I approve this message .

9 Likes

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by SirLakes: 12:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
dey play oooo!!! You think a company will hand a random Joe with no degree, no certification and no experience a Cyber Security job

Body go tell you and your eyes go clear when you enter the field grin

Make una stop to dey mislead people

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by blackslayer: 12:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
Free advice! The future is in Artificial intelligence.

4 Likes

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jun 12, 2023
Thank you for this
Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by harsysky(m): 12:43pm On Jun 12, 2023
There are some tech jobs that are more like looking for a branch manager role in a commercial bank without ever having experience in the banking sector. Cyber security, machine learning Engineer, data scientist are a few. One has to do extensive research to know all these things. In as much as I respect the op for sharing information, people like him do not know how to educate people on field in IT to choose or start learning from.

14 Likes

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 12:43pm On Jun 12, 2023
Why Cyber crime (yahoo yahoo) is the best career path for young people in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by pman06(m): 12:43pm On Jun 12, 2023
Being a red teamer is easy to get in to cyber security. But i can't say the same for blue teamer.

1 Like

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by Billionaire2: 12:43pm On Jun 12, 2023
Nice
Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by Ologundudu2020: 12:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
Same way I was cajoled to web development

Anyway Very intelligent Lhasa Apso puppy for sale in Abeokuta.
Chekc my thread for more info
Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by Akwamkpuruamu: 12:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
Edipet:
please which tech is have entry level roles, I was also told that data science is not an entry level tech

Web design, cloud computing

2 Likes

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by BigBlackPreek(m): 12:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
Tech is the new crude oil!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by pman06(m): 12:45pm On Jun 12, 2023
Dikaveli:
I wasted my time going for web developing

I am going back for cyber security or data analytics

Or you can use your knowledge in development and pivot to DevOps. It's what i do + a dose of cyber security experience too.

8 Likes

Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by Houseofglam7(f): 12:45pm On Jun 12, 2023
cool
Re: Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. by sofeo(m): 12:46pm On Jun 12, 2023
Alright.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Help!!! My Colleague Is Stealing Our Company's Money And Changing Records / Please Help!! I Wish To Be More Productive To Myself / Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.