Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,810 members, 7,827,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers (16017 Views)

Petrol May Cost N340/litre After Subsidy Removal In 2022 — Kyari / FG To Pay Nigerians Transport Allowance After Fuel Subsidy Removal- Zainab Ahmed / Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Angelfrost(m): 3:12pm On Jun 11, 2023
Tsolutionifede:
go n die, subsidy is gone for gone

He should go and die for speaking the truth?!!

11 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Kaffy2903(f): 3:13pm On Jun 11, 2023
Wodu89:

You're joking with these prices right ?
[quothose author=richidinho post=123723966]

Have you been going to the market?
[/quote]most things has not increased that much oo I sell them

3 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Ismael97(m): 3:14pm On Jun 11, 2023
Who will please help with something no matter how small to buy food please? I'm starving
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Ijaya123: 3:16pm On Jun 11, 2023
I don’t agree with this. Most of the vehicles being used to convey food and farm produce run in diesel.

And diesel price is already coming down.

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Wodu89: 3:17pm On Jun 11, 2023
Kaffy2903:
[quothose author=richidinho post=123723966]

Have you been going to the market?
most things has not increased that much oo I sell them

Lobatan. Ogun n ti wo lu

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Relixy2k: 3:20pm On Jun 11, 2023
Your head dey dere.
CodeTemplar:
Under fair consideration, food prices shouldn't see more than 20% increase because the heavy lifting is done by diesel powered trucks. We all know diesel price didn't go up. Petrol use is mostly for short distances.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by michoim(m): 3:20pm On Jun 11, 2023
Nigeria situation is like a sinking mire where there is no standing...it is a myriad of interconnected complex issues that need a big hand to resolve. May God finally & quickly come to our rescue...

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Highlife217: 3:23pm On Jun 11, 2023
God’s punishment for what happened to Obi.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by mrvitalis(m): 3:25pm On Jun 11, 2023
N3TRAL:

... and even large scale interstate transportation of agricultural products. The heavy-duty trucks, and trailers use diesel.
exactly
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by SmartyPants(m): 3:30pm On Jun 11, 2023
[Quote]So, those trailers cannot say the price of petrol has gone up, because they don’t use petrol but they use diesel. Therefore, the price of food, which they transport should not be affected, but the irony is that it will be affected,” he stated.[/quote]

This is the reality. Any increase should be minimal
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by JagabanBorgu: 3:30pm On Jun 11, 2023
Highlife217:
God’s punishment for what happened to Obi.
Obi said he won't allow subsidy to stay for "one day" if he assumes office.
U all clapped for him and started writing everywhere how billions is being lost to subsidy.
Lo and behold, he lost the election, another càndidàte did exactly same thing u all applauded Obi for and now he is èviI, he doesn't Iike the màssés etc.
Hypôcrîsy sinks a society.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by nairalanda1(m): 3:33pm On Jun 11, 2023
Yes, things are going to be hard for sometime

The problem with Nigeria is that we don't like doing the right thing. Had we done the right thing in 1992, or even 2012, by now, we would have long been since over the worst.

Here we are , forced by something called running out of money to take a decision that we should have taken ages ago. And even though I support subsidy removal, Lord knows, I am not happy about how people would suffer. I really am not.

Next time,...take decisions on time.

Tinubu is removing subsidy because he has no choice, not because he is wanting to take serious economic decisions. Anyone else in charge would have made the same decision.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Raph82(m): 3:33pm On Jun 11, 2023
richidinho:
Dude just spent two weeks in office

Medium size Close up has jumped from 200 to 300 naira

Lipton tea that used to be 20naira each as of 28th of May is now 30naira each

Do you know that a satchet of peak milk sold at 100naira is now 150naira? .

At the same time, what brought down the price of gas from 800 to around 350? I still can't understand

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by JagabanBorgu: 3:34pm On Jun 11, 2023
richidinho:
Dude just spent two weeks in office

Medium size Close up has jumped from 200 to 300 naira

Lipton tea that used to be 20naira each as of 28th of May is now 30naira each

Do you know that a satchet of peak milk sold at 100naira is now 150naira?

I have no doubt u supported Obi who said "I won't allow subsidy to spend another day when I assume office", u all clapped for him.
Do u think things would have been different if he removed subsidy?
Of course things would be different, ur comments and posts will be "córruption is fighting back", "APC is sponsoring all these unions", "all these people are hiking prices, they think this is APC and Buhari that don't know what they are doing" etc etc.
Ur comments and replies would have been the only things different.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by EnterpriseMan: 3:35pm On Jun 11, 2023
ImoleNaija:
Funnily, people are getting used to the current situation already. grin
The situation starts end of june. The current petrol in the market is still subsidized, they only hiked the pump price so they can "raise enough money to purchase at the new price" when the current subsidy payment expires.

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by richidinho(m): 3:36pm On Jun 11, 2023
Raph82:
At the same time, what brought down the price of gas from 800 to around 350? I still can't understand

Na Jagaban grin

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by rezzy: 3:37pm On Jun 11, 2023
Things haven't gone up like that, i pray it remains so.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by thegooddieyoung: 3:39pm On Jun 11, 2023
Oga, Peter Obi also clearly stated that he would set up systems to ensure that the poor masses do not feel immediate bites of subsidy removal hence the need to remove it in phases of 50%.

I bet that you do not even fare better now but you must comment to feel among.

I hope you attended the inauguration ceremony in Abuja, how did you manage to come back after the ill-timed announcement?

JagabanBorgu:

Obi said he won't allow subsidy to stay for "one day" if he assumes office.
U all clapped for him and started writing everywhere how billions is being lost to subsidy.
Lo and behold, he lost the election, another càndidàte did exactly same thing u all applauded Obi for and now he is èviI, he doesn't Iike the màssés etc.
Hypôcrîsy sinks a society.

5 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by lexy2014: 3:39pm On Jun 11, 2023
Wodu89:
Unplanned Feul subsidy removal is like a worker quiting his job before.planning for how to keep up with family needs. E go suffer.

We keep telling them the practicality of the
unplanned removal of the Feul subsidy is devastating

Subsidy is the only way the nation gives back to the citizens without saying take free money and the only provision for the removal of the subsidy is still the subsidy itself. Many Nigerians won't rise above the hardship it would create for up to 5-10 years

The bigger enemy isn't subsidy , but lack of management and control of subsidy payments because of infalted invoices. This means the invoicing system, recording and 0ayment structure is the problem in itself not the subsidy. The baby should not be thrown away with the bath water. Rather the bath water o ky needs to be made clean

The citizenry looses alot with the removal of subsidy payments because in this clime, salaries do not increase readily, meaning purchasing power becomes more and more difficult with this economic overhaul.

Maintaining the subsidy is to the benefit of the average citizen. It's managing the invoicing system that's the problem. We can have metered and regulated suslbsidy payment in place with FG placing caps on subsidy payment and then hedging the excesses against Government backed bonds, so short term economic traction is cushioned by long-term macrofinances of the court ey.

If invoicing and lack of accountability is the issue with feul subsidy, then why don't we grant licensing that pays subsidy payments based on metered importation allowance?

When would Nigeria let thinking people lead ? When !

The same 2012 problem is repeating itself. Sensationalism. Assuming that the subsidy only implies people stealing,.forgetting or not even considering it's benefits.

The average minimum wage of a worker can't mean anything in a post subsidized feul economy.

Increase in food prices, Housing, transportation, lifestyle all at once without corresponding rise in salary payments is nothing short of a disaster. Be it Peter Obi, Tinubu, Atiku subsidy removal must be planned and strategized before actualized

In the end, the bigger enemy is the Hausa Fulani hegemony who setup cabals in all state instructions to run them down so private ones are setup to mop up the national treasury. Nigerian refineries and Dangote is typical

If Hausa and Fulani allowed our refineries worked like NLNG, we wouldn't be talking subsidy removal or Dangote

The focus must be maintained. For Nigeria to work, Hausa Fulani hegemony has to die

What you have stated concerning fuel subsidy isn't rocket science but unfortunately many nigerians just can't think properly. Thinking in this part of the world is based on emotions.

Those in govt concoct lies and feed the people but the people don't ask questions. Fuel subsidy is the crook. It's the villain. It is the cause of all Nigerias problems. It must be arrested.

6 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by SpatialKing(m): 3:40pm On Jun 11, 2023
ImoleNaija:
Funnily, people are getting used to the current situation already. grin

Is not like they are getting use to it
What do you expect people to do protest so that they will use soldiers to kill you...

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by lexy2014: 3:40pm On Jun 11, 2023
EnterpriseMan:

The situation starts end of june. The current petrol in the market is still subsidized, they only hiked the pump price so they can "raise enough money to purchase at the new price" when the current subsidy payment expires.

Who hiked the price?

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by jahsharon: 3:41pm On Jun 11, 2023
The farmers are MAD. Borders have been opened. We will buy from Cotonou, Ghana, Togo

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by seborrhic: 3:42pm On Jun 11, 2023
It doesnt automatically follow like that because that should not also forget that when food items become too expensive consumers will boycott the item and woe befall the farmer if its a perishable food item.
So there is limit to which a farmer can raise the prices of his farm produce

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Ebubu2: 3:44pm On Jun 11, 2023
Mainly because cost of transporting their agric produce from rural farm to city markets has increased due to cost of transportation/fuel increase.

Minimum wage has to be increased and CNG powered vehicles adopted.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Ebubu2: 3:45pm On Jun 11, 2023
seborrhic:
It doesnt automatically follow like that because that should not also forget that when food items become too expensive consumers will boycott the item and woe befall the farmer if its a perishable food item.
cost of transporting farm produce from rural area to city markets has increased because driver will charge more due to fuel increasing. So how is it not justified for them to raise price of food if driver is collecting more money from them due to fuel increase ?

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by nnamdi640: 3:45pm On Jun 11, 2023
magoo10:
you removed subsidy without the necessary provision to ameliorate the hardship of the people to the extent that some state governors are reducing number of work and school days in a week but you boldly arrested emefiele for naira design that stopped looters from using their bullion vans to buy votes and sponsor terrorism.
You said the right thing, you will see how their senseless and foolish supporters will come after you with their baseless point. They don't just know the effect of what this subsidy remover will bring.

4 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by lexy2014: 3:47pm On Jun 11, 2023
nairalanda1:

The problem with Nigeria is that we don't like doing the right thing. Had we done the right thing in 1992, or even 2012, by now, we would have long been since over the worst.

Here we are , forced by something called running out of money to take a decision that we should have taken ages ago. And even though I support subsidy removal, Lord knows, I am not happy about how people would suffer. I really am not.

Tinubu is removing subsidy because he has no choice, not because he is wanting to take serious economic decisions. Anyone else in charge would have made the same decision.

Have the price of diesel and kerosene come down? If they haven't, how then is your first sentence valid?

How is Nigeria running out of money? Is it because of fuel subsidy that nigeria is running out of money?

How does Tinubu not have a choice? Since you are too ashamed to answer the simple questions, Pls look for and read wodu89 post so you can be better informed.

Uptill now, you can't even answer the following questions.

the government has been removing fuel subsidy since the 90s maybe earlier. what was the percentage of the cost of each litre of fuel was the government paying as subsidy?

with each partial withdrawal of subsidy, what percentage of subsidy was removed and what was left?

In this attempt by tinubu, what was the percentage of subsidy left that he removed?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by lexy2014: 3:48pm On Jun 11, 2023
seborrhic:

Which food items have consumers in Nigeria boycotted because it's too expensive?

There's a limit on farmers raising prices but there's no limit on how far govt can increase fuel price

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by JagabanBorgu: 3:54pm On Jun 11, 2023
thegooddieyoung:

Oga, Peter Obi also clearly stated that he would set up systems to ensure that the poor masses do not feel immediate bites of subsidy removal hence the need to remove it in phases of 50%.

I bet that you do not even fare better now but you must comment to feel among.

I hope you attended the inauguration ceremony in Abuja, how did you manage to come back after the ill-timed announcement?

U Will set up systems in ur one day in office?
I am sure u will prèteñd he didn't say that.
I watched an interview in one town hall meeting where Obi said, "I already know your problems and I am coming to solve it".
In another town hall meeting he said "I won't be a president who stays in Abuja, I will go around and know your problems".
Someone who said in a previous interview that he already knows our problems is saying in the next interview that he will know our problems.
The àssIicking u guys were giving him didn't make u realize the incoherence in his speeches abi?
I didn't vote Tinubu to fare better in a matter of 2 or 5 months, I read his manifesto, I followed his campaign, I voted him because he has the vision and capacity to make necessary changes, necessary changes always cause inconvenience, that's the knowledge most of u Iàck, u all believed a messiah is coming where every policy will give u joy, u need to wake up.

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Dbegining: 3:57pm On Jun 11, 2023
N3TRAL:

... and even large scale interstate transportation of agricultural products. The heavy-duty trucks, and trailers use diesel.

See,
No1: it's not only about transportation. The prises if things will generally go up. Movement of people, production of goods and services etc. And these Farmers also make use of these services, so in order to meet up, they need to make more profit. That means to incerese the prises if goods.

No2: Do you know what is called multiplier effect?

Make una suffery dey talk about wetin una no know.

3 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:57pm On Jun 11, 2023
nairalanda1:

and d masses will keep subsidizing d lifestyle of d politicians!

our govt is not suffering wit d masses is d actual bone of contention.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by missionmex(m): 3:59pm On Jun 11, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Under fair consideration, food prices shouldn't see more than 20% increase because the heavy lifting is done by diesel powered trucks. We all know diesel price didn't go up. Petrol use is mostly for short distances.
oga in economics even that 20% is very big.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

50th Birthday Party Of Muiz Banire (Photos) / Okorocha Calls For Traditional Method Of Oath Taking To Curb Corruption / Nigeria Takes Recovery Of Ex-governor Ibori's £4.2 Million Loot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.