Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers (15990 Views)

Petrol May Cost N340/litre After Subsidy Removal In 2022 — Kyari / FG To Pay Nigerians Transport Allowance After Fuel Subsidy Removal- Zainab Ahmed / Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Lekan239(m): 5:14pm On Jun 11, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Under fair consideration, food prices shouldn't see more than 20% increase because the heavy lifting is done by diesel powered trucks. We all know diesel price didn't go up. Petrol use is mostly for short distances.
welcome to Nigeria
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Evii: 5:17pm On Jun 11, 2023
JagabanBorgu:

If it has been possible for u Obi followers to dèñy that Obi wouldn't have removed subsidy, u would have done that.
No "cushioning plan" will work in this Nigèria.
U know that, we all know that, but since agreeing with the decision is tough for most of u, u all resórt to cushioning plans.
Obi wouldn't have been able to provide any cushioning plan just like he didn't provide in Anambra when he hiked tuition fees of ANSU.
And Obi said clearly that "subsidy is an eviI I won't allow to spend another day when I assume office"

Bro good day, I didn't post this and I don't know who's using my NL account to comment...
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Yusman316(m): 5:19pm On Jun 11, 2023
Wodu89:
Unplanned Feul subsidy removal is like a worker quiting his job before.planning for how to keep up with family needs. E go suffer.

We keep telling them the practicality of the
unplanned removal of the Feul subsidy is devastating

Subsidy is the only way the nation gives back to the citizens without saying take free money and the only provision for the removal of the subsidy is still the subsidy itself. Many Nigerians won't rise above the hardship it would create for up to 5-10 years

The bigger enemy isn't subsidy , but lack of management and control of subsidy payments because of infalted invoices. This means the invoicing system, recording and 0ayment structure is the problem in itself not the subsidy. The baby should not be thrown away with the bath water. Rather the bath water o ky needs to be made clean

The citizenry looses alot with the removal of subsidy payments because in this clime, salaries do not increase readily, meaning purchasing power becomes more and more difficult with this economic overhaul.

Maintaining the subsidy is to the benefit of the average citizen. It's managing the invoicing system that's the problem. We can have metered and regulated suslbsidy payment in place with FG placing caps on subsidy payment and then hedging the excesses against Government backed bonds, so short term economic traction is cushioned by long-term macrofinances of the court ey.

If invoicing and lack of accountability is the issue with feul subsidy, then why don't we grant licensing that pays subsidy payments based on metered importation allowance?

When would Nigeria let thinking people lead ? When !

The same 2012 problem is repeating itself. Sensationalism. Assuming that the subsidy only implies people stealing,.forgetting or not even considering it's benefits.

The average minimum wage of a worker can't mean anything in a post subsidized feul economy.

Increase in food prices, Housing, transportation, lifestyle all at once without corresponding rise in salary payments is nothing short of a disaster. Be it Peter Obi, Tinubu, Atiku subsidy removal must be planned and strategized before actualized

In the end, the bigger enemy is the Hausa Fulani hegemony who setup cabals in all state instructions to run them down so private ones are setup to mop up the national treasury. Nigerian refineries and Dangote is typical

If Hausa and Fulani allowed our refineries worked like NLNG, we wouldn't be talking subsidy removal or Dangote

The focus must be maintained. For Nigeria to work, Hausa Fulani hegemony has to die
We have had 'thinking people/Nigerians led some very important sectors in this country, and what they have shown is, thinking people are not the solution to our problems. On the Hausa and Fulani issue, blame other Nigerian tribes for not standing up
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by asanausana91: 5:24pm On Jun 11, 2023
magoo10:
you removed subsidy without the necessary provision to ameliorate the hardship of the people to the extent that some state governors are reducing number of work and school days in a week but you boldly arrested emefiele for naira design that stopped looters from using their bullion vans to buy votes and sponsor terrorism leaving those who have been engaging in subsidy fraud.
my brother I tot I am the only one that is seeing tinubu stupidity. During the time of new naira redesign food was cheaper. I am in Jos I could remember how egg price was reduced by 50% same thing to tomatoes and other food items.
This drug lord just want to finish Nigeria patapata.
"RENEWED SURFER"

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by NinjaMetahuman: 5:25pm On Jun 11, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Under fair consideration, food prices shouldn't see more than 20% increase because the heavy lifting is done by diesel powered trucks. We all know diesel price didn't go up. Petrol use is mostly for short distances.
true. But expect greedy Nigerians to take advantage of everything.

Good thing, there is something called trickle down effect.
You can't sell expensive and expect to buy cheap. Everybody must collect. grin

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by asanausana91: 5:29pm On Jun 11, 2023
CodeTemplar:
what of the food sellers, are they not going to use cars, Keke napep.l?
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by asanausana91: 5:34pm On Jun 11, 2023
CodeTemplar:
between the naira scarcity suffering and Tinubu suffering on masses, which is more?
These people hear what is sweet yo their ear and not what is happening.
I swear during the crash crunch food was very cheap. I can remember how egg and tomatoes becomes so cheap in jos. Tinubu is here to give us RENEW SURFER
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by millionboi2: 5:50pm On Jun 11, 2023
You didn't tell them thy can also loss their capital
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by magoo10(m): 5:56pm On Jun 11, 2023
asanausana91:
my brother I tot I am the only one that is seeing tinubu stupidity. During the time of new naira redesign food was cheaper. I am in Jos I could remember how egg price was reduced by 50% same thing to tomatoes and other food items.
This drug lord just want to finish Nigeria patapata.
"RENEWED SURFER"
you said it all
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by mightyhaze: 6:10pm On Jun 11, 2023
Highlife217:
God’s punishment for what happened to Obi.
Obi will get his mandate
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by nairalanda1(m): 6:18pm On Jun 11, 2023
Wodu89:

Pharaoh went to the prison to get the person who had the knowledge to solve a looming crises not just for his entire nation, but for the entire region in ancient world. Knowledge many times is in the heart of the vessels that carry them

I can solve Nigeria's subsidy problem withina year without breaking a sweat. I won't publicize my insights. The day will come when there will be a big problem that would lead to a search for me. I wait for my time

I decided to look at your previous posts...

[quote author=Wodu89 post=123721038]

Subsidy is the only way the nation gives back to the citizens without saying take free money and the only provision for the removal of the subsidy is still the subsidy itself. Many Nigerians won't rise above the hardship it would create for up to 5-10 years

Education and healthcare in government institutions are subsidsed, as is power to some extent.

Whether the subsides work is another thing...and the truth is, they do not work for a reason..which I'll soon get to

The bigger enemy isn't subsidy , but lack of management and control of subsidy payments because of infalted invoices. This means the invoicing system, recording and 0ayment structure is the problem in itself not the subsidy. The baby should not be thrown away with the bath water. Rather the bath water o ky needs to be made clean

You have identified a problem , but not the problem...or the cause of the problem

Subsides basically involve selling fuel below its production and transport cost...and the money paid to compensate for the resulting loss is the subsidy.

THE problem is, that means price controls...and where there are price controls, there are mega losses....because the sector is not allowed to make a profit.

So sharp pracitices like overinvoicing and smuggling and so on happen because the people involved in bringing the fuel to you have to make money, and a lot of it.

Ever wonder why similar issues do not happen in your food supply? Because people who sell you food are not forced to sell it at a loss.

In the end, the bigger enemy is the Hausa Fulani hegemony who setup cabals in all state instructions to run them down so private ones are setup to mop up the national treasury. Nigerian refineries and Dangote is typical

If Hausa and Fulani allowed our refineries worked like NLNG, we wouldn't be talking subsidy removal or Dangote

The focus must be maintained. For Nigeria to work, Hausa Fulani hegemony has to die

Well

1. Venezuela, Libya and Iran have the same issues as we do....with smuggling and massive losses from subsiding fuel and corruption and in Venezuela's case, depreciation of refining capacity.

2.How many Hausas live and work in Venezuela, Iran and Libya? None.

3. Ghana has a lot of Hausas who are native to the country...as a lot of Fulanis. Niger too has large indigenous Fulanis and Hausas in their country. Yet fuel flows there freely....and their refineries work....because both countries DO NOT SUBSIDISE FUEL.

Niger has a Hausa Fulani population...yet they sell fuel at higher prices than we do until we removed subsidy. It is around N452 naira.

The reason why we do not have working refineries is because we do not sell fuel at a profit and have not done so since 1973. That is why we have bad refineries.

Why hasn't the Hausa fulani oligarchy ruined the LNG project then? Because we sell our LNG at a profit, therefore it works well enough

FUEL is not cheap oga. That is why subsidy is problematic. Fuel is not cheap.It costs money to make. Blaming people does not change that.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Wodu89: 6:20pm On Jun 11, 2023
nairalanda1:

I decided to look at your previous posts...

Smiles. You don't know the oil industry one bit.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by nairalanda1(m): 6:23pm On Jun 11, 2023
Wodu89:

Smiles. You don't know the oil industry one bit.

The problem is, you don't know what a subsidy is, and why it is damaging

You want cheap fuel. I get it. I too want cheap fuel. But fuel costs far too much money to make, and keeping it cheap is one of the reasons that we are now in severe debt.

I don't expect you to agree with me, or to believe I am right. At the end, there is no such thing as cheap fuel. Blaming Hausas, Fulanis, Cabals, IMF, everyone, does not change that. There is no such thing as cheap fuel.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Jeffyblaq(m): 6:25pm On Jun 11, 2023
Y'all should be prepared for robbers cos thatz imminent..

No dull cappings here
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Blazebond(m): 6:36pm On Jun 11, 2023
Thieves,always looking for avenues to hike prices.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by ThatCEO: 6:45pm On Jun 11, 2023
CodeTemplar:

Dey play, because d diesel driver kids n wife whose transport n food bill will go up? grin
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by ThatCEO: 6:51pm On Jun 11, 2023
Ijaya123:
I don’t agree with this. Most of the vehicles being used to convey food and farm produce run in diesel.

And diesel price is already coming down.

Please keep quiet, d cunny kyari pushed this nonsense narrative.

No marketer has ever used their money to procure fuel. The banks always queue up to give them free money cos d bank gets their profit back per litre, n it's d government that pays this profit.

I might not know slot about how government runs but this petroleum pricing template, I Sabi am pass kyari
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by nairalanda1(m): 6:54pm On Jun 11, 2023
ThatCEO:

No marketer has ever used their money to procure fuel. The banks always queue up to give them free money cos d bank gets their profit back per litre, n it's d government that pays this profit.

I might not know slot about how government runs but this petroleum pricing template, I Sabi am pass kyari

Well subsidy has gone, and with that , government paying profit as you put it has ended.

What you described were payments made to marketers back when there was a subsidy to keep prices equal across the nation. That ended with the end of subsidy.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Ijaya123: 6:55pm On Jun 11, 2023
ThatCEO:

Next time, read to comprehend, not to argue.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Raph82(m): 7:02pm On Jun 11, 2023
Evolutionlove:

Where did you see Gas selling for N350??
Confirm the current price from the nearest gas station. Dont let them cheat you please. Gas is now 350/kg in Akure.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jun 11, 2023
Raph82:
Confirm the current price from the nearest gas station. Dont let them cheat you please. Gas is now 350/kg in Akure.

This was on the June 1st 2023.

Perhaps you meant N650/Kg.

Snap the Gas Station selling for N350 and Post here.

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by theredaddy: 7:23pm On Jun 11, 2023
jmoore:

I was not the one shouting Emi lokan. If he had no solutions, what exactly is his reason for seeking election?

Hi prophet of doom, its being 13days since Tinubu acknowledge Subsidy removal, Asides fuel & transport things i buy like groceries are still the same price, which depict market prices have being over strecthed,

So why you and your friend go around shouting doom, maybe you should bear it in my that when people fall they learn to rise

The harm we do to ourselves is even more than what we condemn the govt do to us, if transportation cost was the burden of farmers may the increase will have a hitch effect, but we know greed starts from the farmers to the middlemen,security agencies on the road down to the market.

Do you know it takes an eagle egg 35days to hatch ... Nigerians have elected a man with capacity & vision we just have to wait for him to work. sometimes you will need to fall to bounce higher cheesy
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Dybala11(m): 7:32pm On Jun 11, 2023
JagabanBorgu:

Obi said he won't allow subsidy to stay for "one day" if he assumes office.
U all clapped for him and started writing everywhere how billions is being lost to subsidy.
Lo and behold, he lost the election, another càndidàte did exactly same thing u all applauded Obi for and now he is èviI, he doesn't Iike the màssés etc.
Hypôcrîsy sinks a society.
Don't mind the dude jor. The only misgiving I have concerning the subsidy removal is that since we know how our Nigerian societies work, has the federal government put any policy in place to mitigate the effects of subsidy removal on average Nigerians?? So far it seems as if there's nothing at all, the goal is to remove the subsidy with no provision to directly create a way to ease the impacts on the common man. We shall see as things unfold sha.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Dybala11(m): 7:39pm On Jun 11, 2023
seborrhic:
It doesnt automatically follow like that because that should not also forget that when food items become too expensive consumers will boycott the item and woe befall the farmer if its a perishable food item.
So there is limit to which a farmer can raise the prices of his farm produce
That is if the price hike is too much beyond the reach of many people, food is an essential commodity don't forget.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by theredaddy: 7:41pm On Jun 11, 2023
Angelfrost:
The Poor will eat sand and stones...!

Something must be done to mitigate these inevitable price hikes!.

You can't leave the citizens to suffer for the poor policies and leadership of APC and PDP over the years!

You are sounding like farmers need petrol to wet there seeds all mornings cheesy
the dependence & attitude of nigerians round "fuel matters" deserves a chemotherapy
Farmers bear so many cost buh they aint the ones that bear transportation cost, middlemen bear that cost but that is a cost that is one cost that migitated, simply use transportations with alternative source of energy.
At some point in our lives we need to fvcking grow up and let fuel stop dictating our lives it should be a blessing not curse.

why can't we have rails from north to south that will cost fuel cost it will reduce traffic & extortions on the road, in the main time the people can call out security agencies that extort drivers on the road, that is what really shoot up prices, i remember covid most police were fvcking rich
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by femicyrus(m): 7:42pm On Jun 11, 2023
This is the easiest problem to solve.
Just open border and allow food to come in
Let them compete for sales at the international market with their price
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Dybala11(m): 7:47pm On Jun 11, 2023
Tsolutionifede:
shut up, u stupid OBIDIENT, that will never appreciate anything good from the man regime
You want to tell us that you're not feeling the effects of the sudden subsidy removal??
Say na something good. 😂😂😂
There should have a been a plan on how to go about it, not just taking a decision like that on a whim. Sha get ready for the ripple effects as things unfold.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Dybala11(m): 7:49pm On Jun 11, 2023
Evolutionlove:

The British And Royal Niger Company will never allow this to Happen.

Only the East and West combined can Champion this Course.

The British and The Northerners are the Sole Proprietors holding the Nation to Ransome. The West has no choice than to be doing Follow Follow.

Only the East and Niger Deltans really want out. If the West should solely join the Course. That's the End of Nigeria.

But for now, People are still enjoying the United Sufferings
You're still blaming Nigeria's recent plight on the British??
Yeah, they're the ones making all the bad decisions for our politicians hence the reason our country is where it is right now. Dey deceive yourself.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by theredaddy: 7:50pm On Jun 11, 2023
Raph82:
At the same time, what brought down the price of gas from 800 to around 350? I still can't understand

human gas or coooking gas undecided i still filled gas @ 700k per kg some days ago
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Dybala11(m): 7:54pm On Jun 11, 2023
mrvitalis:
Subsidy has near zero effects on farming
Your statement can only be true if the farmers don't take transport like common people and only take diesel powered vehicles as a means of transportation too. Farmers will have to increase their price too to sustain themselves.
Also, do you buy from retailers or from wholesalers??
The last time I checked, retailers don't transport their farm goods with diesel powered vehicles. Everybody literally have to increase the prices of their goods or services to meet up with the increase in the price of things.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Dybala11(m): 7:59pm On Jun 11, 2023
N3TRAL:

... and even large scale interstate transportation of agricultural products. The heavy-duty trucks, and trailers use diesel.
And farmers are living in a society where the prices of goods are not affected by the hike in petrol prices??
Dey whine us o. 😂😂

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We did not attack Gov Fubara, he was in the midst of aggressive people - Police / Governor Nasir El-Rufai Visits Destitutes' Home In Kaduna / We Must Restructure Before 2019 – Falae

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.