Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,745 members, 7,813,441 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu (45148 Views)

President Tinubu Signs Student Loan Bill Into Law (Pictures) / 10 Benefits Of 2023 Electricity Act Bill Signed By President Tinubu / National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by ttmacoy: 10:23pm On Jun 12, 2023
I'm no fan of Tinubu but Buhari was literally sleeping for the first 6 months. How long did t take him to even form his cabinet? lol

LagosFirstSon:
Initial gragra as usual . Buhari did more than this at the begining of his first Time.

But seriously, Bola Tinubu is too ugly , president no fit am.

1 Like

Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by starstaz(m): 10:24pm On Jun 12, 2023
Hamachi:

Student loans are a financial burden which does not quite make sense on a pure accounting basis. So, you have signed up for a loan (a liability, surrender of your future earnings) and you have nothing to show for it. On the other hand, when you take a loan on a house (a mortgage), you have a liability (a mortgage) and an asset (a house), so when things get tough, you can sell the asset to cover that liability. And in a worst case scenario, you simply file for bankruptcy and walk away from it - with a beaten up credit score, but you recover fully in about 7 years (in US, bankruptcy is removed within 7 years from the person's credit profile). Easy. Simple. Elegant.

Now, we have a student loan. You take a loan and you spend money. You gain nothing tangible - no assets. You have an expectation of future earnings, but it's not a guarantee. However, once you are out of school, loan is due - regardless of whether or not you have means to pay for it, such as a job. Now, when things get very tough - let's say you need to pay rent and you need to eat and you would like to get a family - but the student loan is still there, and it's not going away. You can't discharge it in a simple bankruptcy. You can't make it go away in an easy way - it's a forever burden.

Summary

When we reach the point where politicians are running for office on a platform of, “free college for everyone,” you know that we have gone past the tipping point. “Free” college is just going to throw kerosene on this fire.

We are seeing some cracks around the edges, e.g. coding bootcamps and startup apprenticeships like Praxis, but what is needed is a better educated consumer.

PS

I saw a question on career section this afternoon. “Should I go to school X or school Y? (Money is an object, but I might get some financial aid at school Y.)”

School Y’s cost of attendance is more than twice that of school X. No thought of can I afford either one of these schools? No thought of preparing a financial analysis. We have a generation of irresponsible morons whose parents are mentally absent. That’s why we have a financial aid crisis.

smiley
💭Leadership is not about seeking personal glory, instead its about taking responsibility for the people you are in charge of.

🎯Some key takeaways:

✔️Responsible leaders take accountability for their actions. Instead of blaming others, they identify the problem and try to fix it.

✔️Therefore, to become responsible leaders professionals must remember to take accountability for actions and stop blaming others for their mistakes.

✔️One of the foremost qualities in a successful employee or leader is a willingness to accept Responsibility for one's actions and behavior, good or bad.

✔️Taking Responsibility means making decisions, taking action, setting high standards, learning from our mistakes and always doing what we say.

✔️Lastly, leadership is about setting an example. Let see his grandchildren, relatives & family members participate in these students loan

Stone head. Give us a better ideas. Mr man. And kiindly contest for the next councillorship election that is closer to you, to develop and implement your beautiful alternative.

3 Likes

Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Poske95(m): 10:38pm On Jun 12, 2023
Like the scrapping of oil subsidy, scrap the NYSC program and reinvest the funds into a post secondary and post tertiary school program for the most talented and hardworking students .
Have private sector and other corporations invest their monies and focus on making the best universities autonomous but not too expensive.
...the US is reeling from students loans....na Naija wan come.go there....?!
Initial gragra.....watch who go dey receive an.
When parents no get work to push their children forward....?
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by JagabanBorgu: 10:40pm On Jun 12, 2023
Mindlog:

So you acknowledge the Anchor Borrowers Program, APC was bragging as an achievement in the agricultural sector was actually a failure while those who earlier said so were tagged enemies of progress..won da fu.

It is not about "nothing ever fails" but using the same mould and still expecting a different shape ....sheer insanity!
Anchor borrower's program and this one has same method?
APC gave Nîgeriàns that opportunity and they faiIed to utilize it.
I was part of anchor borrower's program, I pulled out of it because the embezzlements by people involved was too much.
I know how much I would have gotten, I intentionally pulled out, pastors who owns churches were part of the embezzlements and córruption.
I have always said it faiIed it's purpose, I cañ't remember telling u it was a success, did I tell u that?

1 Like

Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Wiselinks: 10:47pm On Jun 12, 2023
TakeNigeriaBack:
Thank God I supported Jagaban. Imagine if I supported the failure Peter Obi Obituary, how will I explain to my descendants? Thank God for Bola Ahmed Tinubu the Jagaban and Asiwaju of the Universe.
Your stupidity is like follow come battery!
Wetin concern us with who supports.
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by garfield1: 11:25pm On Jun 12, 2023
Obaman12:

I have a 4.37 CGPA in my Masters programme at FUTMINNA. Would really appreciate if this truly turns out to be real.

I have an outstanding payment of N252,000 to make for two sessions.

Hmmm.
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by IbeOkehie: 12:07am On Jun 13, 2023
JagabanBorgu:

Anchor borrower's program and this one has same method?
APC gave Nîgeriàns that opportunity and they faiIed to utilize it.
I was part of anchor borrower's program, I pulled out of it because the embezzlements by people involved was too much.
I know how much I would have gotten, I intentionally pulled out, pastors who owns churches were part of the embezzlements and córruption.
I have always said it faiIed it's purpose, I cañ't remember telling u it was a success, did I tell u that?

NOTHING from government, especially NATIONAL GOVERNMENT or Federal Governments, ever works efficiently. Nothing at all. That's all anyone needs to know. The evidence is all around you.

ALL of Nigeria's problems flow from excessive government control, interference and benevolence. Yes, even when the intentions are good the results are not. Federal takeover of ALL universities in 1975, how did that work out? Wow, what about the fuel subsidy introduced in 1973 or the more recent Anchor Borrowers Program, School Feeding Scheme and Conditional Cash Transfers to the poor?

NEPA is still there, now called TCN, how far? NTA and FRCN, National Stadium Lagos and Abuja, NNPC and it's refineries, Ajaokuta & Delta Steel? Federal Government Colleges? NYSC? Even CBN can't handle the national currency....the value keeps plummeting year after year and it got to the point Nigerians had to use new money to buy old money to transact business.

Nothing from government ever works. It's impossible in Nigeria.

Good Luck to Nigeria.
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Lightorder: 12:28am On Jun 13, 2023
TakeNigeriaBack:
Thank God I supported Jagaban. Imagine if I supported the failure Peter Obi Obituary, how will I explain to my descendants? Thank God for Bola Ahmed Tinubu the Jagaban and Asiwaju of the Universe.
why won’t you support Jagaban who does everything to protect what he stole without reasoning the out come

What is the payback plan as the student may not be readily employed after graduation.

All these college of education graduates sef on NL wey no dey reason
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Menclothing: 12:31am On Jun 13, 2023
Mindlog:

Going by antecedent, repayment will be very low as Nigeria do not have the structures to make it sustainable.

But people can buy easy buy phone 500k
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by JagabanBorgu: 12:33am On Jun 13, 2023
IbeOkehie:

NOTHING from government, especially NATIONAL GOVERNMENT or Federal Governments, ever works efficiently. Nothing at all. That's all anyone needs to know. The evidence is all around you.

ALL of Nigeria's problems flow from excessive government control, interference and benevolence. Yes, even when the intentions are good the results are not. Federal takeover of ALL universities in 1975, how did that work out? Wow, what about the fuel subsidy introduced in 1973 or the more recent Anchor Borrowers Program, School Feeding Scheme and Conditional Cash Transfers to the poor?

NEPA is still there, now called TCN, how far? NTA and FRCN, National Stadium Lagos and Abuja, NNPC and it's refineries, Ajaokuta & Delta Steel? Federal Government Colleges? NYSC? Even CBN can't handle the national currency....the value keeps plummeting year after year and it got to the point Nigerians had to use new money to buy old money to transact business.

Nothing from government ever works. It's impossible in Nigeria.

Good Luck to Nigeria.
Many of these things were working till 1999 when OBJ took over.
From OBJ to Buhari and most all these stuffs dîèd and dyiñg sIowIy.
Shows civilian rule/democracy is not for us.
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Lightorder: 12:33am On Jun 13, 2023
TakeNigeriaBack:
. Student loans are a financial burden which does not quite make sense on a pure accounting basis. So, you have signed up for a loan (a liability, surrender of your future earnings) and you have nothing to show for it. On the other hand, when you take a loan on a house (a mortgage), you have a liability (a mortgage) and an asset (a house), so when things get tough, you can sell the asset to cover that liability. And in a worst case scenario, you simply file for bankruptcy and walk away from it - with a beaten up credit score, but you recover fully in about 7 years (in US, bankruptcy is removed within 7 years from the person's credit profile). Easy. Simple. Elegant.

Now, we have a student loan. You take a loan and you spend money. You gain nothing tangible - no assets. You have an expectation of future earnings, but it's not a guarantee. However, once you are out of school, loan is due - regardless of whether or not you have means to pay for it, such as a job. Now, when things get very tough - let's say you need to pay rent and you need to eat and you would like to get a family - but the student loan is still there, and it's not going away. You can't discharge it in a simple bankruptcy. You can't make it go away in an easy way - it's a forever burden.

Summary

When we reach the point where politicians are running for office on a platform of, “free college for everyone,” you know that we have gone past the tipping point. “Free” college is just going to throw kerosene on this fire.

We are seeing some cracks around the edges, e.g. coding bootcamps and startup apprenticeships like Praxis, but what is needed is a better educated consumer.

PS

I saw a question on career section this afternoon. “Should I go to school X or school Y? (Money is an object, but I might get some financial aid at school Y.)”

School Y’s cost of attendance is more than twice that of school X. No thought of can I afford either one of these schools? No thought of preparing a financial analysis. We have a generation of irresponsible morons whose parents are mentally absent. That’s why we have a financial aid crisis.

smiley
💭Leadership is not about seeking personal glory, instead its about taking responsibility for the people you are in charge of.

🎯Some key takeaways:

✔️Responsible leaders take accountability for their actions. Instead of blaming others, they identify the problem and try to fix it.

✔️Therefore, to become responsible leaders professionals must remember to take accountability for actions and stop blaming others for their mistakes.

✔️One of the foremost qualities in a successful employee or leader is a willingness to accept Responsibility for one's actions and behavior, good or bad.

✔️Taking Responsibility means making decisions, taking action, setting high standards, learning from our mistakes and always doing what we say.

✔️Lastly, leadership is about setting an example. Let see his grandchildren, relatives & family members participate in these students loan

- Hamachi on NL

1 Like

Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by soojar(m): 1:26am On Jun 13, 2023
Mindlog:

Going by antecedent, repayment will be very low as Nigeria do not have the structures to make it sustainable.

It is actually very easy to administer.

If you don't have job, you don't pay..

Any employer will make sure you get clearance from cbn that you are not owing, and if you are, a percentage of your salary will be going into repayment.

If you are self employed, a percentage will be deducted from any of your bank accounts monthly except you won't operate any bank account, you won't have any reason to register anything with government, etc.

We only hope it won't be man know man, or people in charge making it difficult to access so you can come 'buy' the loan

We learn every day.
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Barims(m): 3:00am On Jun 13, 2023
sreamsense:

We need ugly president with functioning brains like Tinubu. What is the benefit of big head of obi without brain? Ugly Tinubu is a first class product while handsome obi is a 3rd class product. In administration, give it to Tinubu, we are not here for "mark-my-word" in futility. You have 8yrs to wail, just keep changing moniker and weeping along. Most of your markets in Onitsha, enugu and many more may become empty for a while as many that can't afford school fees now have opportunity.

Bro are you referring to obi as handsome? What a joke grin
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by barbstee(m): 4:48am On Jun 13, 2023
LagosFirstSon:
Initial gragra as usual . Buhari did more than this at the begining of his first Time.

From Tinubu must contest, to ge can't win primary, to he can't win the election, to he'll never be sworn in and now this.

Sorry Bro

I feel your pain

1 Like

Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by maasoap(m): 6:09am On Jun 13, 2023
LagosFirstSon:

Dey there and don't position yourself for opportunities just because you don't like your president. I know how much I got from the opportunities provided by Buhari.
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Standardcosting(m): 6:13am On Jun 13, 2023
Hamachi:

Student loans are a financial burden which does not quite make sense on a pure accounting basis. So, you have signed up for a loan (a liability, surrender of your future earnings) and you have nothing to show for it. On the other hand, when you take a loan on a house (a mortgage), you have a liability (a mortgage) and an asset (a house), so when things get tough, you can sell the asset to cover that liability. And in a worst case scenario, you simply file for bankruptcy and walk away from it - with a beaten up credit score, but you recover fully in about 7 years (in US, bankruptcy is removed within 7 years from the person's credit profile). Easy. Simple. Elegant.

Summary

PS

smiley

🎯Some key takeaways:

You are so dumb, cos the only assets you know are tangible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by maasoap(m): 6:15am On Jun 13, 2023
Lightorder:
. Student loans are a financial burden which does not quite make sense on a pure accounting basis. So, you have signed up for a loan (a liability, surrender of your future earnings) and you have nothing to show for it.

You rant too much. I guess you would prefer to drop out of school than to take students interest free loan. You thought you are wise but you are dumber than the dumbest person in the world!
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Obaman12: 6:38am On Jun 13, 2023
garfield1:

Hmmm.

What sir? Scarry fees abi?
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by garfield1: 7:21am On Jun 13, 2023
Obaman12:

What sir? Scarry fees abi?

Yes oh same thing am in

1 Like

Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by barkays001: 7:22am On Jun 13, 2023
I would appreciate it if you could show us a picture of your dad with his achievements so we can check something.
LagosFirstSon:

Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Obaman12: 7:24am On Jun 13, 2023
garfield1:

Yes oh same thing am in
It is well, God will help us all.
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by ycat: 8:11am On Jun 13, 2023
It should be done by home region.
Candidates should go home and apply, so some people don't get to keep what is allocated for their region and still go and share from another region.
Zionmdde:
Good move
Just that the average Nigerian graduate hardly gets jobs nowadays
And what mechanisms will be put in place to ensure there is no discrimination and that the government can get their money back?

1 Like

Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by blaise26abj(m): 9:18am On Jun 13, 2023
Abolodje:

Alright thanks for your input but you can kindly shove it up your ass.

The quicker you realize you are stupid the faster your healing comes .
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Abolodje: 12:43pm On Jun 13, 2023
blaise26abj:

The quicker you realize you are stupid the faster your healing comes .
Lmao
Whatever you say to help you sleep better at night 😹
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Lightorder: 2:08pm On Jun 13, 2023
maasoap:

You rant too much. I guess you would prefer to drop out of school than to take students interest free loan. You thought you are wise but you are dumber than the dumbest person in the world!
yes ! My dumbest state is way better than your bightest best.
Same pattern of empty submission and narrative since 2015 when your god buhari got into power . His performance at the end shows how senseless and dumb you have been born to be
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Theomarvelus(m): 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2023
LagosFirstSon:

what is initial gragra in this bill that has been enact... you better wise up
Re: Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu by Hamachi(f): 7:44pm On Jun 15, 2023
Standardcosting:

You are so dumb, cos the only assets you know are tangible.
I ain't the reason you are unfortunate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

WTO: Peter Obi Visits Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Discusses Nigeria's Economic Recovery / Maiduguri Under Attack On Election Day, 7 Explosions Occur Within 10 Minutes / Civilian-JTF Shoot 4 Female Suicide Bombers Dead In Borno(Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.