Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,044 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success (7374 Views)

5 Ways To Maintain A Work-life Balance / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? / Work-life Balance: Its A Holiday, Leave Work At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by odutolu1(m): 8:12am On Jun 15, 2023

So, have you noticed how remote work is becoming more common in our society and how it’s changing our lifestyles? Personally, I work from home too, and I’m not sure if I could ever go back to a regular office job 😅.

But let’s get real for a moment. Working from home is amazing because it gives us so much freedom and flexibility, right? And you get to grow and raise your kids and/or pets if you’re a family or pet-loving person like me.

So here’s the thing: it’s also making it super hard to keep work and personal stuff separate. Like, seriously, it’s tough to find that balance.

But no worries! In this article, I’m going to share some awesome strategies to help you nail that work-life balance in your remote workplace. With these tips, you’ll rock it both in your personal life and at work.

1. Establish Clear Boundaries
First things first, create a separate workspace if you can. Keep it separate from where you chill. You know what I mean?

Having a physical divide helps your brain switch between work mode and personal mode. Next, set specific working hours and make sure your team knows them. It’s all about communication!

Let everyone know when you’re available and when you’re off the clock. By establishing these boundaries, you’ll be able to juggle work and personal life like you’ve been doing it all your life.

2. Create a Daily Routine
Alright, I’ll be honest with you. If you want to nail that work-life balance, you’ve got to have a daily routine.

Get yourself a structured plan for each day. Prepare a daily work sheet or a to-do list for each day of the week. It depends on your daily work routine though.

Set aside time for work, breaks, personal stuff, and relaxation. It’s all about finding that balance. Set goals and prioritize your tasks, so you stay on track and get stuff done.

When you stick to a routine, it brings stability and control into your life. That means less stress and better overall well-being. So, get that routine in place and watch yourself thrive.

3. Take Regular Breaks
When you’re working remotely, it’s so easy to get sucked into work without giving yourself a breather.

But here’s the truth…

Taking regular breaks can help you stay productive and keep that work-life balance intact.

Make it a point to have short breaks throughout the day. Stretch those limbs, relax, and recharge.

You can even try out cool techniques like the Pomodoro Technique. That means working hard in short bursts and taking quick breaks in between.

Stepping away from work every now and then helps you avoid burnout and boosts your overall productivity.

4. Communicate Openly with Your Team
Effective communication is vital in remote work environments. Clearly communicate your availability and preferred modes of communication with your team.

Set expectations for response times and let your colleagues know when you are not available. Openly discuss workloads, deadlines, and challenges to ensure everyone is on the same page.

Transparent and proactive communication fosters collaboration and reduces stress, contributing to a healthier work-life balance.

5. Prioritize Self-Care
You have to be open and honest with your team. Let them know when you’re available and how you prefer to communicate.

Set some expectations for response times and make it clear when you’re not around. It’s all about being upfront. And don’t be afraid to have open discussions about workloads, deadlines, and any challenges you’re facing.

When you communicate openly, you promote collaboration and reduce stress. That means a healthier work-life balance for everyone involved. So, keep those lines of communication wide open.

6. Set Digital Boundaries
Constant connectivity can blur the lines between work and personal life. Establish clear digital boundaries to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

Set limits on checking work emails or notifications outside of working hours. Utilize features like “Do Not Disturb” or notification settings to minimize interruptions during personal time.

Creating a separation between work-related digital activities and personal use of technology helps create a healthier work-life integration.

7. Learn to Say No
As a remote worker, it can be tempting to take on additional tasks or work beyond your designated hours.

However, learning to say no and setting realistic boundaries is crucial for work-life balance. Assess your workload and prioritize tasks based on importance and deadlines.

Be assertive in managing expectations and communicate when you have reached your capacity. Setting boundaries around your time and workload helps prevent burnout and ensures a healthy work-life balance.

Source: https://techloging.com/2023/06/13/work-life-balance-in-a-remote-workplace-7-strategies-for-success/#:~:text=Work

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by JasminH: 9:13am On Jun 15, 2023
Nice!

2 Likes

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by bukatyne(f): 10:23am On Jun 15, 2023
Remote worker as in doing freelance work or a 8am - 5pm person working from home?

Because if it is the latter, some parts of the article doesn't work. You are not given additional tasks because you 'work' from home, you are given additional tasks because it is part of your JD/ your boss has collected more work to proof the boy/girl is 'efficient'.

You also don't take 'official' regular breaks. Work hours is 8am - 5pm with an hour break. Outside your break, you are expected to be available at all times. In practice, you might be able to take a break when the workload is reduced or in between meetings but it is 'not your right' hence cannot be scheduled.

They give you more work and you say no? Pack your load home. Or who else would do the work? You can only negotiate the delivery timeline if possible I.e. the task is not urgently required by management because of a policy that just came up.

I agree with you on creating a separate workspace so there is a mental shift between work and play else your home feels like work and no longer a place of relaxation.

Also communicating with your team mates how to reach you urgently during/ after work hours is key. Also try to have your mails and official tools of communication on your smart phone so if an emergency pops up and you have taken a stroll down the street, you can run back and attend to it.

If you have strong head and stepping out of your workstation for a while, respect yourself and carry your laptop and mobile Internet with you.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by GboyegaD(m): 1:06pm On Jun 15, 2023
Hmmm....it needs be deliberate. Most importantly find a way to balance things. Having experienced both, work from home can be crazy and sometimes sets unnecessary expectations as proof of efficiency.

4 Likes

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by ATEAMS: 1:07pm On Jun 15, 2023
Self Discipline and work ethic is the keyword here

1 Like

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by iconicceo: 1:07pm On Jun 15, 2023
Filled with depression and lack of happiness if you’re not dedicated, not me, I jump it over✅
Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by pocohantas(f): 1:07pm On Jun 15, 2023
Reading ..

1 Like

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by Frank688915: 1:09pm On Jun 15, 2023
cool
Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by poppingtags: 1:10pm On Jun 15, 2023
Nice one...
Sadly, once you started working from home, you've become an internet fraudster to your neighbors. That's why I don't encourage it !

2 Likes

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by emmy512: 1:14pm On Jun 15, 2023
Number 4 is my problem, can't count how many times they've complained about my communication especially meetings.

I have this feeling so far u get shit done, I don't owe a series of meetings and all that,

I'll be skipping a meeting for 3 today for same reason,

The communication part takes a lot of my time having to hear everyones story.

My way of communicating is to set a task, and once I'm done, Asana marks it as done an the whole team sees it.

No need to ask me to tell you what I've done
Shish

3 Likes

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by theophorus(m): 1:14pm On Jun 15, 2023
It's fun initially until more and more gets into it and then it becomes messy.

2 Likes

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by bukatyne(f): 1:29pm On Jun 15, 2023
emmy512:
Number 4 is my problem, can't count how many times they've complained about my communication especially meetings.

I have this feeling so far u get shit done, I don't owe a series of meetings and all that,

I'll be skipping a meeting for 3 today for same reason,

The communication part takes a lot of my time having to hear everyones story.

My way of communicating is to set a task, and once I'm done, Asana marks it as done an the whole team sees it.

No need to ask me to tell you what I've done
Shish

You deliberately miss meetings?

You must be the bosses' boss.

Even my CEO cannot deliberately miss a meeting. I hope you are fine being commended for your hardwork without growth aka promotion.

If you cannot work with people (lack of team spirit) while in lower cadre, nobody is going to trust you to lead a team because up there is more of people management and strategy than proving technical skills everyone knows you have.

7 Likes

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by JaskanFactor: 1:35pm On Jun 15, 2023
thanks for contributing this professional level output .

personally for me as person who has worked for over 30 years and an amateur ancient history researcher

I dont think people who fail at getting the work life balance are getting it wrong, i think the problem is fundamentally due to the fact that its just too much work, and life is just too short to be concentrating so much on work .

They said greatest trick the devil ever played on mankind is to pretend he doesn't exist , but i will also add to that the fact that the devil has fooled man into thinking too much work is holy activity.

You wont even remotely struggle with work life balance if the work requirement was humane in the first place.

The entire invisible world that follows you around al day is forever whispering trying to guide and interact with you, but thats what the too much work is for, so that you dont hear them , you too stressed , too busy you hear the ancestors who are only allowed to assist in whisper tones. That is why the devil wants the world to be too busy, so that they wont be able to hear the voice of God.

And its not always the fault of employer, they always offer a raw deal almost regardless of pay, its also people who want to go into the rat race regardless of the spiritual consequences it will have on thier life.

As Allaan Watts the late American philosopher put it, many people dont even have the time to realize they have become an adult due to too much work, until they retire and die shortly after never knowing what life was truly about.

You can always like many people are doing now, move to a place so cheap you dont have to rely on full time work to survive , cause then you will sleep better , be less stressed and these are the requirements to be able to grow spiritually as you age. I for example never truly saw the wonders of the night sky until i was over 40 and moved to remote area to get away from the rat race, but my intervention was brought on by temporary illness , which turned out to be a blessing.

Cause the entire spiritual world is really truly a physical place, that people who sign up for busy life cannot see. And that is why the devil wants people to be so busy , to keep them blind.

You should pride yourself in having an empty diary , and many days so boring , you just had to sleep it through, cause you activities during the day, cooks the dreams you have at night , and a non spiritual day, leads to a non spiritual dreams at night..

Get out of the rat race , and relocate to a cheap place where you can work just enough without sacrificing your soul.

Here is a documentary about dreams to let you know , your dreams have great value for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQTDTcup04&t=4202s

2 Likes

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by airsaylongcome: 2:13pm On Jun 15, 2023
Get a good chair and desk. E get why
Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by whtv: 2:21pm On Jun 15, 2023
Quite informative... Learnt something fresh. Thanks for sharing!
Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by Rubyjade: 2:47pm On Jun 15, 2023
How do you manage work-life balance in a remote job?

What are some tips for creating a good work-life balance while working remotely?
1) Scheduling time off is so important. Make sure to schedule breaks throughout the day to keep your mind fresh and creative for work-related tasks.

2) Organization can be challenging when remote working - but just try your best! Set up a system that works well with you - whether that's separate folders for different types of files or installing a productivity app on your phone. Also, don't forget to back up all of the files related to work! In case anything goes wrong, you should always have a backup of work files and notes. Losing data will cost you extra hours and disappointment

3) Sometimes remote work can take over your life - make sure you schedule in some me-time! Whether that means going for a walk, working out at the gym, cooking dinner, or just taking an hour out of work every now and then.

4) Make friends outside of work when possible - especially if they're in the same industry as you. It's always nice to have people who'll understand what you're going through and will help motivate you.

5) Don't be afraid to say 'no.' Sometimes remote work is so overwhelming and feels like it's consuming your life - don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings and prioritize yourself. Learn to say "No" when tasks start piling up, and you feel like drowning

6) Do sports. Find an hour to get moving every day. It gets really comfortable to live between the laptop and the fridge. Push yourself and exercise daily. This has numerous benefits, like improving focus, overall health, better sleep, relieves stress and anxiety, etc.

7) Get creative, take pictures of all of those fabulous work destinations you go to for meetings/meet-ups/etc. Be sure to share them on social media too! Or maybe start a diary/journal. Draw a sketch when in a rut? Find something small to do every day when you start feeling it gets too much.

cool Find a hobby. Explore something new, or maybe go back to what you used to love as a kid. Devote at least 2 hours weekly to this and always have it as a priority in your schedule.

9) Reward yourself for all that hard work - whether that means going out with friends or buying yourself something nice after hitting a major goal as a remote worker. Reminding yourself of all the great things you've accomplished remote work-wise is so essential!

10) Unplug. Pick a day in the week and be offline for 24 hours. Do the things you love, spend the day with loved ones, or just do nothing, whatever makes you feel best

1 Like

Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by Maclink288: 3:20pm On Jun 15, 2023
Getting a good workspace increases productivity.
Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by dbuktown(m): 3:55pm On Jun 15, 2023
This is cool, I really learnt a lot from this article, thanks for sharing.

Please I have been having interest to land a remote job but non seems coming my way.
I would appreciate if you or anyone can put me through. Thank you in anticipation.

odutolu1:

So, have you noticed how remote work is becoming more common in our society and how it’s changing our lifestyles? Personally, I work from home too, and I’m not sure if I could ever go back to a regular office job 😅.

But let’s get real for a moment. Working from home is amazing because it gives us so much freedom and flexibility, right? And you get to grow and raise your kids and/or pets if you’re a family or pet-loving person like me.

So here’s the thing: it’s also making it super hard to keep work and personal stuff separate. Like, seriously, it’s tough to find that balance.

But no worries! In this article, I’m going to share some awesome strategies to help you nail that work-life balance in your remote workplace. With these tips, you’ll rock it both in your personal life and at work.

1. Establish Clear Boundaries
First things first, create a separate workspace if you can. Keep it separate from where you chill. You know what I mean?

Having a physical divide helps your brain switch between work mode and personal mode. Next, set specific working hours and make sure your team knows them. It’s all about communication!

Let everyone know when you’re available and when you’re off the clock. By establishing these boundaries, you’ll be able to juggle work and personal life like you’ve been doing it all your life.

2. Create a Daily Routine
Alright, I’ll be honest with you. If you want to nail that work-life balance, you’ve got to have a daily routine.

Get yourself a structured plan for each day. Prepare a daily work sheet or a to-do list for each day of the week. It depends on your daily work routine though.

Set aside time for work, breaks, personal stuff, and relaxation. It’s all about finding that balance. Set goals and prioritize your tasks, so you stay on track and get stuff done.

When you stick to a routine, it brings stability and control into your life. That means less stress and better overall well-being. So, get that routine in place and watch yourself thrive.

3. Take Regular Breaks
When you’re working remotely, it’s so easy to get sucked into work without giving yourself a breather.

But here’s the truth…

Taking regular breaks can help you stay productive and keep that work-life balance intact.

Make it a point to have short breaks throughout the day. Stretch those limbs, relax, and recharge.

You can even try out cool techniques like the Pomodoro Technique. That means working hard in short bursts and taking quick breaks in between.

Stepping away from work every now and then helps you avoid burnout and boosts your overall productivity.

4. Communicate Openly with Your Team
Effective communication is vital in remote work environments. Clearly communicate your availability and preferred modes of communication with your team.

Set expectations for response times and let your colleagues know when you are not available. Openly discuss workloads, deadlines, and challenges to ensure everyone is on the same page.

Transparent and proactive communication fosters collaboration and reduces stress, contributing to a healthier work-life balance.

5. Prioritize Self-Care
You have to be open and honest with your team. Let them know when you’re available and how you prefer to communicate.

Set some expectations for response times and make it clear when you’re not around. It’s all about being upfront. And don’t be afraid to have open discussions about workloads, deadlines, and any challenges you’re facing.

When you communicate openly, you promote collaboration and reduce stress. That means a healthier work-life balance for everyone involved. So, keep those lines of communication wide open.

6. Set Digital Boundaries
Constant connectivity can blur the lines between work and personal life. Establish clear digital boundaries to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

Set limits on checking work emails or notifications outside of working hours. Utilize features like “Do Not Disturb” or notification settings to minimize interruptions during personal time.

Creating a separation between work-related digital activities and personal use of technology helps create a healthier work-life integration.

7. Learn to Say No
As a remote worker, it can be tempting to take on additional tasks or work beyond your designated hours.

However, learning to say no and setting realistic boundaries is crucial for work-life balance. Assess your workload and prioritize tasks based on importance and deadlines.

Be assertive in managing expectations and communicate when you have reached your capacity. Setting boundaries around your time and workload helps prevent burnout and ensures a healthy work-life balance.

Source: https://techloging.com/2023/06/13/work-life-balance-in-a-remote-workplace-7-strategies-for-success/#:~:text=Work
Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by odutolu1(m): 5:57pm On Jun 15, 2023
poppingtags:
Nice one...
Sadly, once you started working from home, you've become an internet fraudster to your neighbors. That's why I don't encourage it !

I can relate
Re: Work-life Balance In A Remote Workplace: 7 Strategies For Success by kellyH: 12:21pm On Jun 19, 2023
Much of the article has already been put into practice, but I also found something new. Thank you very much!

(1) (Reply)

FRSC Board Promotes 20 Officers / Logistics And Supply Chain Management / Here’s How To Deal With Annoying Co-workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.