Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,046 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? (17256 Views)

Airtel Sacks Workers, Pays Off Affected Staff / Virgin Atlantic Airline Sacks All Nigerian Cabin Crew / Lacasera Shuts Down Operations; Sacks All Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by Reference(m): 2:23pm On Oct 04, 2011
tosino_t:

i pray that telecommunication business will not become like cybercafe business, where it will be survival of the fittest,where turnover will gradually come down.

This is exactly where it is heading. With the price wars going on I find it hard to imagine why most of us expect lower tariffs without lower operational profits and thus lower wages or/and staff right sizing.

This is pure market economy, something we have never seen in mega corporate Nigeria not with corruption, useless subsidies and price gouging.

At a time Walmart was the second largest cap company in the world but paid one of the lowest American wages, saying one thing: size doesn't translate to salaries., but what matters is the industry that pays them.

A decade ago telecoms was big business outgunning even oil but technology has killed that and opened the field to all comers and once Asians took hold they simply undercut all countries including the U.S.

Now a battlefield commander using a Qatari cell phone in the movie 'Transformers 1' has to go through a lousy indian call centre to the Pentagon. Who needs a bloody premium package under fire. I'm not laughing neither should anyone working in telecoms.

Take it from me. The glory days are over. Very soon all other companies one by one will begin their right sizing to survive.

So if you are not like the average 'chop without looking up till I drop' Nigerian or another deaf, dumb and paralysed 9 to 5 statistic get prepared.

History has told us that time and technology never favours telecoms. Just ask your cybercafe or post man.
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by otokx(m): 2:38pm On Oct 04, 2011
@instinctg

cocaine is not a legal possession so your conclusion is false.
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by otokx(m): 2:42pm On Oct 04, 2011
http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/oct/04/national-04-10-2011-0011.html

From the above link, the staff were not sacked, their contract just expired.
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by TomFord: 4:03pm On Oct 04, 2011
This is a wake up call to nigerians.Never get comfortable in your comfort zone.making reference to ghana's quota system,the truth is foreign investor or not,no govt will entertain investment at the expense of her citizens.after all they own the resource,provide the environment(tax incentives etc) the investor only brings the needed cash&expertise.in brazil,a certain fixed percent is left for the local populace.one fundamental problem facing the entity called nigeria is 'putting round pegs in square holes' added to that is what can be termed Misplaced priorities.
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by olajide8(m): 4:43pm On Oct 04, 2011
Nigerians, nigerians, pure nigerians and the way they think, I am really sorry some are loosing their jobs but what difference does it make some people think that after 2-3 certifications it makes them indispensable looking at it critically do you benefit or is that amount justifiable for the customer care services they render "PLS HOLD" you would soon be transferred to a customer care agent for 30mins well when banks were down sizing did the whole economy think they were immune when civil servants had there share in 2006 when their pay packs were 21k-35k the world went on shell outsources their staff and others sign contractual agreements for specific periods. Like I said they should leave and start off their own businesses create employment and stop relying on some stupid people to work for let them start something with all their certifications, I have and thou I have not reached my promise land I don't have to contend with all these kind of hopelessness when you start of your own businesses all these things they see and say, you would have a better picture of, basically the main intent behind business is Profit and if by reducing cost you will achieve that so be it, do you know what they have gone through to attain that economic height, the day banks went after them and they had to hide in the ceiling of their homes is it because they are foreigners what of the counter part funders banks in nigeria is the business terrain easy, if you were in their shoes what would you do is there anything free in this world, when you first hear of nigeria outside nigeria they would tell you its a nation of 140million people the first thing that comes to mind is high availability of cheap labour, they own their business and most of them borrowed to finance the business so they also think china and nigeria are synonymous so,
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by olajide8(m): 4:43pm On Oct 04, 2011
Nigerians, nigerians, pure nigerians and the way they think, I am really sorry some are loosing their jobs but what difference does it make some people think that after 2-3 certifications it makes them indispensable looking at it critically do you benefit or is that amount justifiable for the customer care services they render "PLS HOLD" you would soon be transferred to a customer care agent for 30mins well when banks were down sizing did the whole economy think they were immune when civil servants had there share in 2006 when their pay packs were 21k-35k the world went on shell outsources their staff and others sign contractual agreements for specific periods. Like I said they should leave and start off their own businesses create employment and stop relying on some stupid people to work for let them start something with all their certifications, I have and thou I have not reached my promise land I don't have to contend with all these kind of hopelessness when you start of your own businesses all these things they see and say, you would have a better picture of, basically the main intent behind business is Profit and if by reducing cost you will achieve that so be it, do you know what they have gone through to attain that economic height, the day banks went after them and they had to hide in the ceiling of their homes is it because they are foreigners what of the counter part funders banks in nigeria is the business terrain easy, if you were in their shoes what would you do is there anything free in this world, when you first hear of nigeria outside nigeria they would tell you its a nation of 140million people the first thing that comes to mind is high availability of cheap labour, they own their business and most of them borrowed to finance the business so they also think china and nigeria are synonymous so,
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by tunnytox(m): 5:20pm On Oct 04, 2011
Talk is cheap! Start your own biz, start your own biz blah blah blah can you start your own biz without money? It's obvious that People most times need to work for a while to gather funds and experience required to start their own biz.
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by niviso: 5:39pm On Oct 04, 2011
Why are the Asians taking over every aspect of our economy? Where are those best business heads paraded on the alter of excellence. Where are our business experts, where are those who stole monies from us. Cant they use the monies to buy the best businesses and business heads if they ever exist?
Oh noooo, it is the same old stories. Why cry this way man? Why now?
What is Casualization,
What is Temporary staffing etc.
Call it what ever you like, it is the same old story. The same method of short changing people by the greedy commercial entities.
If you short change one by 20k another by 120k it is all the same.
Am not supprised. They know that millions will be willing to take up the job even with the miger pay.
Cry, cry cry oh you helpless! Wale and let you tears fill you skin bottle and drink from it untill you realise the foly in your choice. World over it is same story.
Sorry for man.
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by uzoo: 5:59pm On Oct 04, 2011
what on earth is wrong with these indians. . . what's the dignity in this ?

@original poster
i will definately spread this right from my phone.
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by olajide8(m): 11:18pm On Oct 04, 2011
@tonytox due respect but, believe it or not, I am one thou I know others still exist to have started a business with practically nothing a pure example, while I would watch my friends in airconditioned official cars, I was hussling, see I will tell you what it entails a business plan workable meaningful business plan and contigency upon contigency plans and an opportunity, the plan must not be different from what other people are doing or may want to do. I would start a thread about my own example to show you its possible, see if you see me you may not think I am not worth anything but as at the april this year valuers valued my assets which were already in excess of N10m 2007-till date. I am owing banks about 2m so its not as if its a some ride I visit the hospital almost every 2 weeks but that's the price I guess I have to pay, I guess only one NL has been to my office she maybe able to talk about it coz she also started from what some people will feel to big to do! the greatest problem is you feel when you go to school your certificate would put 3 square meals on your table fa fa fa fow! I have a masters and 4 professional qualification so what of you I have driven a taxi, done a contract job for 15k with my grades from school, I lost all my friends coz I knew if I was to achieve my goal my motto had to be "if you were not my friend before when I was toiling, don't expect me to take you as my friend now when things are better" coz of it I don't have friends I don't dress like people would expect, I guess when you see me you would see that class rubs off on me but maybe issues, YES business issues, thou I come from a family where my father is a retired fellow accountant mother retired civil servant how many can compare, for you to see what I am talking about I may even have to show you pictures of my shoes while I was and I am still doing this, thou I am still not out of the woods completely I am an example of from nothing as in zero rolling on the ground to where I am now, so why can't you guys start something off.of N10m 2007-till date. I am owing banks about 2m so its not as if its a some ride I visit the hospital almost every 2 weeks but that's the price I guess I have to pay, I guess only one NL has been to my office she maybe able to talk about it coz she also started from what some people will feel to big to do! the greatest problem is you feel when you go to school your certificate would put 3 square meals on your table fa fa fa fow! I have a masters and 4 professional qualification so what of you I have driven a taxi, done a contract job for 15k with my grades from school, I lost all my friends coz I knew if I was to achieve my goal my motto had to be "if you were not my friend before when I was toiling, don't expect me to take you as my friend now when things are better" coz of it I don't have friends I don't dress like people would expect, I guess when you see me you would see that class rubs off on me but maybe issues, YES business issues, thou I come from a family where my father is a retired fellow accountant mother retired civil servant how many can compare, for you to see what I am talking about I may even have to show you pictures of my shoes while I was and I am still doing this, thou I am still not out of the woods completely I am an example of from nothing as in zero rolling on the ground to where I am now, so why can't you guys start something off.
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by hillary22: 4:07am On Oct 05, 2011
all of you who go writing supporting what Airtel has done are all fools and cowards.
shame on you all.
idiots
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by steamslide(m): 4:33am On Oct 05, 2011
Why are we complaining about airtel when our government is refusing to pay 18,000 to its own citizens?
Foreigners cannot love our citizens more than our government!
I believe we have ourselves to blame for this. Let us stop pointing fingers at others when we have many fingers pointing at us.

IF WE DO NOT RESPECT OUR CITIZENS, HOW DO YOU EXPECT OTHERS TO RESPECT US?
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 05, 2011
@tonytox due respect but, believe it or not, I am one thou I know others still exist to have started a business with practically nothing a pure example, while I would watch my friends in airconditioned official cars, I was hussling, see I will tell you what it entails a business plan workable meaningful business plan and contigency upon contigency plans and an opportunity, the plan must not be different from what other people are doing or may want to do. I would start a thread about my own example to show you its possible, see if you see me you may not think I am not worth anything but as at the april this year valuers valued my assets which were already in excess of N10m 2007-till date. I am owing banks about 2m so its not as if its a some ride I visit the hospital almost every 2 weeks but that's the price I guess I have to pay, I guess only one NL has been to my office she maybe able to talk about it coz she also started from what some people will feel to big to do! the greatest problem is you feel when you go to school your certificate would put 3 square meals on your table fa fa fa fow! I have a masters and 4 professional qualification so what of you I have driven a taxi, done a contract job for 15k with my grades from school, I lost all my friends coz I knew if I was to achieve my goal my motto had to be "if you were not my friend before when I was toiling, don't expect me to take you as my friend now when things are better" coz of it I don't have friends I don't dress like people would expect, I guess when you see me you would see that class rubs off on me but maybe issues, YES business issues, thou I come from a family where my father is a retired fellow accountant mother retired civil servant how many can compare, for you to see what I am talking about I may even have to show you pictures of my shoes while I was and I am still doing this, thou I am still not out of the woods completely I am an example of from nothing as in zero rolling on the ground to where I am now, so why can't you guys start something off.of N10m 2007-till date. I am owing banks about 2m so its not as if its a some ride I visit the hospital almost every 2 weeks but that's the price I guess I have to pay, I guess only one NL has been to my office she maybe able to talk about it coz she also started from what some people will feel to big to do! the greatest problem is you feel when you go to school your certificate would put 3 square meals on your table fa fa fa fow! I have a masters and 4 professional qualification so what of you I have driven a taxi, done a contract job for 15k with my grades from school, I lost all my friends coz I knew if I was to achieve my goal my motto had to be "if you were not my friend before when I was toiling, don't expect me to take you as my friend now when things are better" coz of it I don't have friends I don't dress like people would expect, I guess when you see me you would see that class rubs off on me but maybe issues, YES business issues, thou I come from a family where my father is a retired fellow accountant mother retired civil servant how many can compare, for you to see what I am talking about I may even have to show you pictures of my shoes while I was and I am still doing this, thou I am still not out of the woods completely I am an example of from nothing as in zero rolling on the ground to where I am now, so why can't you guys start something off.a

This asshole is just bragging for nothing. Talk is cheap abeg. Anything u think u've made in ur dreams is for ur pocket.
Lots of people on this forum have also suffered and then made it. Your so called story is nothing special. reserve it for ur grand kids.

@topic
Let's get real, these people were contract staff and their contract expired. Airtel can no longer retain their services at previous rate and so negotiated a pay cut. It's either they take it or leave.
The full time staff o fAirtel are still there and are looking forward to the end of year bonus and profit sharing. wink
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by olajide8(m): 11:22am On Oct 06, 2011
@aqva

i sincerely feel for them truthfully, its not my style i don't know how to do it "brag" because that is the problem the world is having at this point in time UN-PRODUCTIVITY, I just felt its better we create employment, secondly its split milk, its already done. the generation of between 45-60years is a corrupt generation that gave birth to another generation of UN-PRODUCTIVE people. I suspect Aqva belongs to this generation shekenaa!
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by ogaju007(m): 2:09pm On Oct 06, 2011
@Aqua or whatever you call yourself. Thats part of what we're talking about. CELEBRATE Success not wealth. The guy gave a motivational story of how he started instead of encouraging him and using his story to encourage other, u dey there dey beef the guy. hhhaaa nnaaawaaaooo . Learn to Celebrate little success stories as they eventually turn out to be big ones.
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by Gemc3(f): 4:16pm On Oct 06, 2011
Near my house, a principal sacked all her teachers. (Can't remember wht τ̲̅ђε̲̣ teachers did) Now airtel has sacked 3000 of her workers. Now Nigerians ª̳͡Rε̲̣̣̣ asking other Nigerians to quit using thier airtel lines. 4wht? So our lives shld be put on hold too cos of it? If u want to stop modern day slavery, it is not τ̲̅ђε̲̣ way to go. Think up something else. Ppl hv lives 2live. Ppl hv businesses 2run wit their phones. It's a sad tale but it happens everyday, all over τ̲̅ђε̲̣ world esp in τ̲̅ђε̲̣ private sector. It's an unfair thing to ask of Nigerians. Some ª̳͡Rε̲̣̣̣ still hunting for jobs 2bother abt τ̲̅ђε̲̣ jobs of others. The business world is cruel. U guys should know that by now
Re: Airtel Sacks All Her Customer Care Staff? by U1(m): 2:45pm On Apr 07, 2012
The company has taken a turn for the worse since Airtel took over. They promise and fail like an average Nigerian politician, and there is no one to fight for us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Folasade Ogunniyi: Sweeper Yet To Get N45k Compensation 6wks After Death On Duty / Pure, Applied, Industrial & Bio Chemists' Zone / Voice Of America Sacks 15 Hausa Employees In A Nigeria Bribery Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.