Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,879 members, 7,828,126 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

National Security Adviser:my Take - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Security Adviser:my Take (912 Views)

How Big Is The Position Of Nigeria's National Security Adviser? / Profile Of Nuhu Ribadu, National Security Adviser / President Buhari Commissions The New Office Of National Security Adviser. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Security Adviser:my Take by Gajagojo: 3:24pm On Jun 15, 2023
A lot of people have opinions about the National SECURITY ADVISER appointment for Tinubu

The First National security adviser was

Aliyu Gusau appointed by Babangida in 1993 as a reaction to Gideon Orkar coup.
Aliyu Gusau had a background in Military Intelligence and his appointment was essentially to forestall coups. It was not about National security. It was self preservation for Babangida.
Since then he has been appointed to that position again by Obasanjo and YarAdua
His first stint ended when Babangida left office and he was replaced by Ismaila Gwarzo a policeman. with intelligence background

Let me point out that we used to have an organisation called the Nigerian Security Organisation which became the SSS.
The NSO was birthed out of the police just like EFCC and was very effective in aborting coups. Babangida understood this very well and throughout his time as Chief of Army Staff made great effort to recruit major military and civilian intelligence organisations and personnel to his cause

The role did not exist before 1993.

All of this is to emphasise that the NSA was conceived during the military era to forestall a d prevent coups and nothing to do with National security

PROBLEM

The problem is that it was a post with potentially unlimited power and funds that was not accountable within the normal military hierarchy even to more senior officers and undermined discipline Also the intelligence nature of the position meant the person possessed information that was of great value and could make or break a coup

E.g Ismaila Gwarzo policeman was appointed by Babangida on leaving office for Ernest Shonekan and he was there when Abacha overthrew Shonekan and remained in office till Abacha died. Clearly he was a mole for Abacha
It is alleged that he was linked to the theft of over $2 billion.

DEMOCRACY
Do we still believe there is a risk of coups ? Is an NSA necessary in a democracy??
Well we copy a lot from America and they have one. But what is their practice?
We have seen university professors appointed and their job is to. ADVICE the president. It is not operational to the extent of issuing gun licences or bullet proof vehicle licences

Our challenge is banditry,Boko Haram etc which is nothing to do with coups.

NSA was put in the constitution by a military General based on his training and orientation

We should be able to ask whether the role is relevant today.
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by eddynaira125: 3:55pm On Jun 15, 2023
Dismantling coup agenda is part of their Job, but even the situation we have now is worst than coup, politicians use religious and ethnicity to cause National security breach, this is were the NSA comes in.
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by FirstCounsel(m): 4:27pm On Jun 15, 2023
So long as a competent individual with sound intelligence background is appointed to the position, all well and good. The previous occupant of that position was from the intelligence community yet bandits and terrorists ran rings around that government.
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by yarimo(m): 5:19pm On Jun 15, 2023
Op so until it happens unexpected before the next president to think of appointing NSA abi ? Prevention is far better than cure
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by Gajagojo: 5:39pm On Jun 15, 2023
yarimo:
Op so until it happens unexpected before the next president to think of appointing NSA abi ? Prevention is far better than cure
Not sure you comprehended what I wrote, though I am not targeting it at everybody
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by yarimo(m): 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2023
Gajagojo:

Not sure you comprehended what I wrote, though I am not targeting it at everybody
you should try and comprehend my post too
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by Belafonte(m): 6:43pm On Jun 15, 2023
With the proliferation of insecurity and insurgents on all sides, the role of the NSA hasn't been more crucial to the survival of our country than it is now. We need to eradicate Boko Haram, kidnappers, killer herdsmen and UGM or we will no longer have a country in the near future

As for Nuhu Ribadu, I dont know if he can be trusted because the insecurity in and from the north is our biggest challenge. However, I trust Tinubu's judgement and believe he knows what he's doing. Still early days though
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by Gajagojo: 6:47pm On Jun 15, 2023
Belafonte:
With the proliferation of insecurity and insurgents on all sides, the role of the NSA hasn't been more crucial to the survival of our country than it is now. We need to eradicate Boko Haram, kidnappers, killer herdsmen and UGM or we will no longer have a country in the near future

As for Nuhu Ribadu, I dont know if he can be trusted because the insecurity in and from the north is our biggest challenge. However, I trust Tinubu's judgement and believe he knows what he's doing. Still early days though
. What exactly is The role that is the question
Do you believe if you get 10 Nigerians they will give you the same answer?

No one knows the role though everyone has opinions of what they think it should be
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by Belafonte(m): 6:55pm On Jun 15, 2023
Gajagojo:
. What exactly is The role that is the question
Do you believe if you get 10 Nigerians they will give you the same answer?

No one knows the role though everyone has opinions of what they think it should be

The role is deliberately ambiguous and encompasses internal and external threats to the security of the country
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by Belafonte(m): 6:57pm On Jun 15, 2023
FirstCounsel:
So long as a competent individual with sound intelligence background is appointed to the position, all well and good. The previous occupant of that position was from the intelligence community yet bandits and terrorists ran rings around that government.

I'm not sure they ran rings around the government. I think it was more lack of interest in actually fighting these people. It's no secret that the sponsor of insurgents are members of the Nigerian society. The right word is that security agencies unlooked

1 Like

Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by 9jatriot(m): 7:05pm On Jun 15, 2023
If this position was not important before, it will be now. Not with all these disobedient family and their pastors claiming vision of one interim government.

We non wan hear story
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by Gajagojo: 7:07pm On Jun 15, 2023
Belafonte:

The role is deliberately ambiguous and encompasses internal and external threats to the security of the country
The role is relatively New and there is no evidence that it is necessary or useful
A fundamental issue which a lot of young people miss is The overhang that military rule Has left on our psyche.

I do not agree that it is deliberately ambiguous. It was put in the constitution by soldiers because it may be useful in a military government. As a tool in a democracy it has proven to be clumsy
Now there are different security situations that arise in any country from time to time right now we have insurgency,Unknown Gun men,banditry etc. That is a different situation from say the Biafra war and needs different approaches.

We need greater cooperation ,coordination no doubt but it is very important to ensure that the message is not lost that this is a democracy. And elected officials are in charge. Even the hand over ceremony from Buhari to Tinubu was a military ritual.

Coordination between Customs,Immigration,Police,DSS,Army etc must improve that should be the Job of the Defence Minister,and other Ministers as in other democracies not some nebulous
NS A with a vague role.

Bottom.line it is not working and it will not work
Re: National Security Adviser:my Take by osuofia2(m): 12:22am On Jun 16, 2023
Mumu people, the NSA advices the president on security matters. Even appointing service chiefs can fall under the office of the NSA base on his recommendation to the president. Ribadu and Tinubu have come a long y

(1) (Reply)

Watch: Sanusi Meets With Tinubu For Details Of Niger's Visit / This Song Should Be Played On Certain Days In The South East Geo-Political Zone / Should I Move To Karu In Abuja??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.