Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,925 members, 7,810,557 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape (8763 Views)

Nigerian Soldiers Jubilating After Victory Over Boko Haram (photo) / APC Carpets Jonathan Over Boko Haram, Hails Military / Army Arraigns General Over Boko Haram Suspects’ Escape (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by homerac7: 6:23am On Oct 02, 2011
Court Martial sanctions army commander over Boko Haram suspects escape

The special court martial set up to try former Commander of the 33 Artillery Brigade, Bauchi, Brigadier-General Muraina Raji, over the escape of two Boko Haram suspects from detention at the brigade has discharged and acquitted him.

But the court martial convicted him on what it called “special findings” for which he was sentenced to three months loss of seniority.

Delivring judgment on Friday night, the presidentof the court martial, Major-General John Zaruwa said the sanction, subject to confirmation by the appropriate military authorities, was because the official failed to show interest in the escapees “who were regarded as high profile detainees”.

Zaruwa said the court martial took note of Raji’s meritorious service to the Nigeria Army for the past 33 years during which he received several commendations and awards.

“It is your willingness to cooperate with other security agencies to accept suspects for safe-keeping with good intentions which had led to this unfortunate incident of escape which led to this trial. The court found out that, in your career, you have never had any case of indiscipline, misdemeanour or misconduct. In view of all these good deeds, the court has decided to award you three months loss of seniority in your present rank of Brigadier General. This award is subject to confirmation by appropriate superior authorities.”, he stated.

The court martial was constituted by former General Officer Commanding, Three Armoured Division, Major-General John Idoko, to try Raji over alleged neglect to perform military duties punishable under Section 62(b) of Armed Forces Act (AFA) CAP A20 Law of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 by failing to provide guard and standing orders for soldiers on duty at the  Wetland Detention Facility at Shadawanka Barracks between January 17 and February 18.

He was also charged with negligent performance of military duties punishable under the same section of AFA at Shadawanka Barracks by failing to adequately assign responsibilities to officers under him to guarantee the safety of high profile detainees at the detention facility.

The third allegation was failure to perform military duties punishable under the same law for neglecting to provide feeding for the two guards performing 24 hours’ duty at detention facility as a result of which one of them went in search of food during which the detainees escaped.

Reacting to the judgment, the lead defence counsel, Mr. Femi Falana, described it as contradictory in law for a court to discharge and acquit an accused and, at the same time, slam a sentence on him.

He said: “After exonerating the general in its verdict, the special court martial, which sat in Jos, turned round, in a rather bizzare manner, to frame a new charge of conduct prejudicial to service discipline contrary to section 103 (1) of the Armed Forces Act against him.

“Without asking the accused officer to plead to the new charge and defend himself, he was convicted and sentenced to a three-month loss of seniority. Thus the special court martial turned itself into the accuser, the prosecutor, the witness and the judge in a criminal case, contrary to all known canons of natural justice.”

Falana, nonetheless, commended the speed with which the trial was conducted, urging other judicial organs to borrow from the example.

The lead defense counsel was absent at the judgement which was initially fixed for October 4 based on an agreement of the court, the prosecution and the defence, but the court later changed its mind and went ahead to deliver judgement at about 8.30 on Friday, lasting till about 10 p.m.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/court-martial-sanctions-army-commander-over-boko-haram-suspects-escape/
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by homerac7: 6:32am On Oct 02, 2011
looks to me like he's a good man
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by hamsky: 10:59am On Oct 02, 2011
Would've  loved to say this in a better way but "THE MODERN DAY NIGERIAN MILITARY IS SHIT AND FILLED WITH POLITICS"
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 02, 2011
3months loss of seniority, LWKMD
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by slimdude(m): 11:26am On Oct 02, 2011
3months loss of seniority,
LWKMD
The laff don kill me die finish!
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by Orblonde: 11:28am On Oct 02, 2011
Corruption kills more terrorism. Focus on that and everthing else will follow!
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by freecocoa(f): 11:31am On Oct 02, 2011
So that to them is punishment enough,as if no be dem plan the escape.RUBBISH.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by kabba7(m): 11:37am On Oct 02, 2011
Is this a military court martial or a civil political tribunal ,sound's more like the later,mere loss of 3 months seniority for aiding/abeting the escape of a terrorist suspect .Rubbish 4 Rubbish. He ought to have been promoted       GENERAL and made chief of Army Staff!! YEYE PPLE.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 02, 2011
The shows that the current chief of Army staff is so powerless and can't control the hausa/fulani-dominated military.This trial is a show of shame and a National disgrace !
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by homerac7: 12:10pm On Oct 02, 2011
guess theres something we r missing from ds report:

“Without asking the accused officer to plead to the new charge and defend himself, he was convicted and sentenced to a three-month loss of seniority. Thus the special court martial turned itself into the accuser, the prosecutor, the witness and the judge in a criminal case, contrary to all known canons of natural justice.”

looks to me like the stated charges was newly presented and served as basis for his temporal demotion wtout privileged of him pleading against them. looks to me like a kangaroo cout martial process. they just must hang d poor guy for som reason.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by Akanbiedu(m): 12:17pm On Oct 02, 2011
~Bluetooth:

The shows that the current chief of Army staff is so powerless and can't control the hausa/fulani-dominated military.This trial is a show of shame and a National disgrace !

Shine your eyes! This is not hausa/fulani, it's the new power bloc in operation. MB/SS/SE
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 02, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Shine your eyes! This is not hausa/fulani, it's the new power bloc in operation. MB/SS/SE
Shine wetin ? A suspected terrorist escaped from custody and the only punishment he could get is 3 months loss of seniority ? shocked shocked forget that your irrelevant powerless bloc that can't do shiit !
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by redsun(m): 12:40pm On Oct 02, 2011
He must have been threatened by the bokos to let the criminals escape or face the direct wrath of the bokos.How else could they have escaped without outright jail break?
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by redsun(m): 12:44pm On Oct 02, 2011
Or he could possibly be a loyal secret fundamentalist.What is going on in nigeria right now is a game of us against them,a game of evil versus evil,while the very innocent and naive ones always suffer.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by Texther(m): 1:21pm On Oct 02, 2011
No reason 2 comment
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by Texther(m): 1:32pm On Oct 02, 2011
slimdude:

3months loss of seniority,
LWKMD
The laff don kill me die finish!
and what makes dis funny? angry angry angry
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by mathskill: 1:36pm On Oct 02, 2011
~Bluetooth:

You seem to be active from your post of over 9800 but your brain is sure dumb and static cause it i simply INACTIVE or else how can you claim the General on court martial is hausa/fulani just because some suspected boko haram  guys escaped from custody.I advice you not to only shine your eyes but also re-energise your brain.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 02, 2011
mathskill:

You seem to be active from your post of over 9800 but your brain is sure dumb and static cause it i simply INACTIVE or else how can you claim the General on court martial is hausa/fulani just because some suspected boko haram  guys escaped from custody.I advice you not to only shine your eyes but also re-energise your brain.
Go back and find out the punishment for the escape of a suspect in the Nigerian Army before you start displaying your ignorance here mofo ? 3 months loss of seniority my foot !
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by mathskill: 2:08pm On Oct 02, 2011
My point of contention is not the punishment metted out to him but your jumping to the conclusion that Gen.raji is hausa/fulani .I also want to point out to you that you made the conclusion because of the  hatred,prejudice and stereotyping you have for the hausa/fulani i made you not go beyond the Generals name to confirm if he is in fact one of them.And your statement also insinuates that the fact that some boko haram suspects escaped from his command then he must have conspired in their escape.So try and look beyond your nose before making allegations.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 02, 2011
mathskill:

My point of contention is not the punishment metted out to him but your jumping to the conclusion that Gen.raji is hausa/fulani .I also want to point out to you that you made the conclusion because of the  hatred,prejudice and stereotyping you have for the hausa/fulani i made you not go beyond the Generals name to confirm if he is in fact one of them.And your statement also insinuates that the fact that some boko haram suspects escaped from his command then he must have conspired in their escape.So try and look beyond your nose before making allegations.
It's simple.how did the terrorist escape in the first instance or are you telling me that an average hausa/fulani man doesn't have sympathy for boko haram struggle ?
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by sammirano: 2:30pm On Oct 02, 2011
one thing about the hausa's here is they don't even try to look at the truth, all they care about is defending their corrupt officer and protecting their heartless bokos
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by mathskill: 2:32pm On Oct 02, 2011
~Bluetooth:

It's simple.how did the terrorist escape in the first instance or are you telling me that an average hausa/fulani man doesn't have sympathy for boko haram struggle ?
That is were you are completely wrong,for starters the founders of boko haram are kanuri the only common factor they have with the hausa/fulani is the islam factor.Now that is were it gets a bit complicated.the boko haram guys are izala were most fulani are of the darika sect of islam,I assure you also if your claim that the average hausa/fulani is sympathetic to boko haram is true,then maiduguri will not be the only city of the 19 states in the north that will be boiling now.so please don't restrict your source  of information to pages of  newspapers.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by JimmyBoy1: 2:35pm On Oct 02, 2011
Well if the court-marshal was fair then there is no issue. By the way there was a time a whole ship got missing in Naval custody, we did not hear of anyone being court- martialed
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by mathskill: 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2011
sammirano:

one thing about the hausa's here is they don't even try to look at the truth, all they care about is defending their corrupt officer and protecting their heartless bokos
For goodness sake the guy is not hausa ,he is yoruba from kwara.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by mathskill: 2:40pm On Oct 02, 2011
Jimmy Boy:

Well if the court-marshal was fair then there is no issue. By the way there was a time a whole ship got missing in Naval custody, we did not hear of anyone being court- martialed
Thank you.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2011
mathskill:

That is were you are completely wrong,for starters the founders of boko haram are kanuri the only common factor they have with the hausa/fulani is the islam factor.Now that is were it gets a bit complicated.the boko haram guys are izala were most fulani are of the darika sect of islam,I assure you also if your claim that the average hausa/fulani is sympathetic to boko haram is true,then maiduguri will not be the only city of the 19 states in the north that will be boiling now.so please don't restrict your source  of information to pages of  newspapers.
Your matter tire me o.You can't distinguish hausa/fulani based on bok harams crisis.The fulani are not just conquering hausa today,uthman dan fodio has done that a long time ago.Cultural homogenity between the two ethnic has turned them into one.if you conclude that boko haram is a thing of kanuri,how will hausa not show sympathy to their cause either because of cultural homogenity or religion affiliation ? Maiduguiri is not the only place crisis breaks out,it extend to place like bauchi,katsina,kano and other hausa territories !
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by udezue(m): 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2011
LOL he deserves 6 month unpaid suspension.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by WebSurfer(m): 2:50pm On Oct 02, 2011
mere words. no actions.
Re: Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape by mathskill: 2:51pm On Oct 02, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Your matter tire me o.You can't distinguish hausa/fulani based on bok harams crisis.The fulani are not just conquering hausa today,uthman dan fodio has done that a long time ago.Cultural homogenity between the two ethnic has turned them into one.if you conclude that boko haram is a thing of kanuri,how will hausa not show sympathy to their cause either because of cultural homogenity or religion affiliation ? Maiduguiri is not the only place crisis breaks out,it extend to place like bauchi,katsina,kano and other hausa territories !
Are there not hausa's in sokoto ,zamfara,kebbi,katsina,yobe,fulani in adamawa,taraba,benue ,kogi,kwara but are they fighting? are they not muslims?even in kano the occurance of violence is less than in the 80's and 90's.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos To Experience Seven-day Rainfall – NIMET / Nobody Delivered On Board Our Flight- Arik / Breaking News: Rochas Okorocha Tears Up Result Sheets,assaults Inec Officials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.