Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,963 members, 7,821,383 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries (39653 Views)

FG To Pay Nigerians Transport Allowance After Fuel Subsidy Removal- Zainab Ahmed / Akpabio, Wike And Other Oil-Producing State Governors Meet Buhari / Senate Blocks Move To Recognise Kogi As An Oil-producing State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by blowjohn(m): 6:54pm On Jun 17, 2023
themanderon:

There are non alcoholic beers now. Have you not seen them before ni?

E still get alcohol.

E just be like sugar free bread.

Las las the flour used for the bread na still carbohydrate
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by themanderon: 6:54pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

Like you did not read my post

I SAID...that WE SHOULD CUT POLITICANS salaries and money WELL WELL

Once again, we should cut politicans salaries well well

In case you did not hear me...WE SHOULD CUT POLITICANS MONEY WELL WELL WELL.

But the money raised won't even pay for one quarter of what we need for subsides this year.

What is this subsidy we are even talking about and who calculated it? Is it not the same government? Why was the subsidy becoming astronomical with each passing year? And why does it not fall when the price of crude falls at the international market when the price of pms is expected to fall?
Once again I say do not be deceived by what they are telling you.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by Padipadi(m): 6:55pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

What part don't you understand , where I said, that I won't argue with you that we should cut politicans salaries. Indeed we must and should cut the politicans salaires.

The issue where we disagree is....the monies raised from cutting the salaries won't be enough to pay for subsidies as it stands.
Whichever way, one bold step to reduce corruption is to slash their money. Make their posts less juicy. Let those that wanna serve come in, not those we are servicing.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 6:59pm On Jun 17, 2023
themanderon:

What is this subsidy we are even talking about and who calculated it? Is it not the same government? Why was the subsidy becoming astronomical with each passing year? And why does it not fall when the price of crude falls at the international market when the price of pms is expected to fall?
Once again I say do not be deceived by what they are telling you.

Okay, let's have some figures here.

In 2011, landing cost of fuel by December that year was N99, and fuel was N65

In 2023, May, landing cost was N371 and fuel was N195.

The subsidy is what is paid to 1) cover the difference between the landing cost and the price at the pump and 2) paid to transporters so that fuel can cost N195 in Lagos, Aba, Enugu, Oturkpo, Maiduguri and Sokoto and Ibadan.

In other words, the difference between the landing cost and the cost at the pump.

In the good old days, subsidy was what was paid to cover the resulting loss from selling fuel below what it cost to produce and transport.

And it rises because

1.Consumption rates of fuel...taking away smuggling and stealing and inflated claims...rises year in and out.

2.Cost of producing fuel rises due to new production methods, workers welfare, etc....

3.Cost of transporting fuel rises...rise in diesel costs, workers welfare, etc....and the fact we import.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 7:01pm On Jun 17, 2023
Padipadi:

Whichever way, one bold step to reduce corruption is to slash their money. Make their posts less juicy. Let those that wanna serve come in, not those we are servicing.

Good idea, but we won't have enough money to pay for subsidy from what we raise from such cost cutting.

Like I told you, national assembly is spending N170 billon naira this year. Even if we took all that money and used it for subsidy it won;t cover subsidy costs for a month...which according to this year's budget was 600billion naira for one month alone.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 17, 2023
themanderon:

There are non alcoholic beers now. Have you not seen them before ni?

Mention one abeg!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by BreconHills(m): 7:14pm On Jun 17, 2023
pafra:

I wish you know what is going on. From your initial post you lack empathy. I still perceive pride and arrogance in the later.

I wish you know they are those that don't have capital to capitalize, don't have nothing to merge

Which problem do I have coming to terms with tinubu. He is not more than any politician. That stolen the common wealth of the poor. Because he is your Kingsman, you believe he will change Nigeria to eldorado .

Keep defending them.

It's not about empathy it's about reality. I have passed through the SAP era of Babangida, the global recession of 2009 and the covid/ energy crisis of 2020 to date. No economy moves in straight upward line. I lost a house in the capital market collapse of 2010 so anyone that plays in this market has to have clear eyesight. This is reality. Emotions don't count.

You speak about the poor as if the subsidy has helped them. You say only 1% of Nigerians are criminals and imply that the rest are victims. You appear not to understand that the entire system of subsidies is mot new. Its been with us since the 80's. In fact under Shagari rice, oil and essential foodstuffs ( essenco) were subsidized by the government is that it creates non value creating arbitrage. It is this rent seeking environment that entrenched the 1%. PBAT is fighting massive entrenched interests that are relying on arguments like yours to keep the masses poor and the rich at stratospheric levels.

In order for the situation to change for the majority of Nigerians subsidies and fx gaps must be closed.

Will it hurt - yes. Is it avoidable- no. Will it last forever - no. Already the gas value chain is being energised. Gas and the various innovations from it will power Nigerias future. People of your age are getting engaged with CNG and trying to understand its trajectory while you are trying to hold on to the past under the guise of compassion.

I tell you truly there is always a generation that gets left behind. If you spend your time focusing on an election that has already been won and lost you will be left behind. Nigeria is developing at warp speed. If you blink you will miss it. It isn't yet reflecting in prices but prices are always a lagging indicator of change.

For your own good whether you live in Nigeria or not - open your eyes and stop the politicking. That ship has sailed.

JP Morgan who incidentally manage a proportion of Nigdrian debt are see a ngn at 600 and foreign investment inflows anticipation has lifted the index to 2008 levels.

The ball is in your court. Markets don't do sentiment and believe me you are in transition. My advice
Keep your eye on the ball

excuse all typos.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by sucess001(m): 7:19pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

If they kept the subsidy...we would have eventually run out of money...and IMF would have refused to borrow us money anymore.

Then true suffering would start.

And the refineries? Stop making excuses for ineptitude
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 7:21pm On Jun 17, 2023
sucess001:

And the refineries? Stop making excuses for ineptitude

The basic problem with subsides is that fuel is sold below the production cost...and any money paid in subsides cannot replace any potential profits that would have been made without subsides in place.

Then subsides in themselves engender corruption and stealing...because free government money

Add both up and you get bad refineries.

As an example..NITEL was subsidised. MTN was not. Guess which is still standing strong in Nigeria now?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by hedonido: 7:26pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

Yeah, but at the end of the day,the issue with refining is that under subsidy, it was not profitable....because subsidy meant that in essence, refineries sold petrol at a loss. Or marketers sold at a loss, and did not have enough money to pay refineries, and the subsidy paid did not cover losses adequately.

At least the paper mill's problems on the other hand was years of monopoly, and not being an active exporter. That meant that when the market was opened in the 90's, they could not compete with better imported products.

Please stop this madness.

Do local refineries have to buy crude in USD or at international prices? Why can't the real subsidy be in the government supplying crude (which we have in excess in reserves) at stable, rebated prices to local refineries? If that is the case, why should locally refined petrol be selling at international, free market petrol prices?

Don't get me started.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 7:32pm On Jun 17, 2023
hedonido:

Please stop this madness.

I don't recall calling you mad. You can be more polite next time, thank you

Do local refineries have to buy crude in USD or at international prices? Why can't the real subsidy be in the government supplying crude (which we have in excess in reserves) at stable, rebated prices to local refineries? If that is the case, why should locally refined petrol be selling at international, free market petrol prices?

Well, they could...but at the end, the people who extract crude would lose money, and won't be able to meet up with their obligations(eg upgrading facilites, paying workers improved salaries, paying taxes, paying community develipment, etc,)...which could have an impact on our domestic crude production.

The best government can do is have Dangote and co pay for crude in Naira, but that won't make much difference. Maybe tax breaks too...but again that won't make the difference.

Hopefully, since subsidy is now gone, domestic refining would be attractive, which would lead to more and more refineries, and prices dropping. Won't drop to below N200 though....unless value of naira improves, another story.

Also, I doubt we have crude in excess....and reserves exist for a reason, opening them up can lead to more problems.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by emorse(m): 7:37pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

1,Nigeria Ariways...badly managed. (for example, people were not paying excess luggage...loss of money) plus probably cheaper than other competitors. Result..losses
Whose fault? Aren't we saying the same thing here? Besides, it was never cheaper than its competitors. It actually ran quite profitably for a while until the Nigerian factors came in play.

2.Nitel: Heavily subsidized. Even their mobile arm Mtel was so subsidised, that at the end they could not make the profits needed to compete with MTN and co....result losses
Nitel was never subsidised. As a matter of fact, it enjoyed monopoly for a very long time during which it was mostly unaffordable to the middle and lower classes. When MTEL came, it was considerably more expensive than Econet and Glo. What did you say about it being subsidised again?

3.Nipost: NiPOST works very well,thank you very much. It is just that emails, SMS and whatsapp have replaced letter writing which was its bread and butter...and the telephone replaced telegraphs long time ago.
Bro, are you for real? Maybe you're just pulling my legs sha. USPS predates Nipost and emails and all didn't kill it. Are you aware that billions of naira is still budget to run those dilapidated structures that dot our surroundings? Those very same buildings that are always virtually empty o.
4.NRC: Run badly. Very badly..pjus even now tickets are cheap. (British railways was a mess till it was privatised..today it runs very well).
Once again, we're saying the same thing using different words. Bad management the younger brother of corruption. The Chinese government runs the most complex railway network in the world and they have never complained. As a matter of fact, you can't but envy them.

See bro, as long as we continue to permit corruption (especially in high offices), no amount of money we earn or save will be enough to run this country. Our budget for petrol subsidy has been in the trillions of naira for years because NNPCL claims that our daily consumption was about 60m litres. Subsidy was removed and the price of petrol in neighbouring countries suddenly jerked up. Who is fooling who? Don't you see that we could have saved a lot from simply checking the smuggling if our petrol? Those tankers and pipelines used to smuggle are not pocket sized na. But no, as someone said earlier, we have to cut off the penis and seal off the vagina to control our high libido. We're just paying for their ineptitude jare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by hedonido: 7:39pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

I don't recall calling you mad. You can be more polite next time, thank you

Well, they could...but at the end, the people who extract crude would lose money, and won't be able to meet up with their obligations(eg upgrading facilites, paying workers improved salaries, paying taxes, paying community develipment, etc,)...which could have an impact on our domestic crude production.

The best government can do is have Dangote and co pay for crude in Naira, but that won't make much difference. Maybe tax breaks too...but again that won't make the difference.

Hopefully, since subsidy is now gone, domestic refining would be attractive, which would lead to more and more refineries, and prices dropping. Won't drop to below N200 though....unless value of naira improves, another story.

Also, I doubt we have crude in excess....and reserves exist for a reason, opening them up can lead to more problems.

You know we have crude in excess. We can't meet ordinary OPEC quota due to inefficiencies such a bunkering. Then again the phenomenon of oil bunkering and such are purely down to government incompetence. Which is the argument some of us put up against the so-called subsidy removal. The masses cannot and must not be punished for government incompetence and corruption.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by NothingDoMe: 7:39pm On Jun 17, 2023
LadyExcellency:

Our current prices are inflated compared to our neighbour's official cost of petrol.

Cutting the peñis and sealing the vargîna is not a solution to curb high libido.

The government is not governing through various agencies that are required to do their jobs of stopping the abuse of social welfare hence they want them removed. The ultimate aim of any government is to make life easy and dreams achievable for the citizens.
Cutting the penis and sealing the Vagina 😄😄😄😄😄😄
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 7:40pm On Jun 17, 2023
The problem with subsidy is price setting.

Everything else, including ineptitude...and corruption...arises from the first cause...price setting...

I'll end it here.

emorse:

Whose fault? Aren't we saying the same thing here? Besides, it was never cheaper than its competitors. It actually ran quite profitably for a while until the Nigerian factors came in play.

Nitel was never subsidised. As a matter of fact, it enjoyed monopoly for a very long time during which it was mostly unaffordable to the middle and lower classes. When MTEL came, it was considerably more expensive than Econet and Glo. What did you say about it being subsidised again?

Bro, are you for real? Maybe you're just pulling my legs sha. USPS predates Nipost and emails and all didn't kill it. Are you aware that billions of naira is still budget to run those dilapidated structures that dot our surroundings? Those very same buildings that are always virtually empty o.

Once again, we're saying the same thing using different words. Bad management the younger brother of corruption. The Chinese government runs the most complex railway network in the world and they have never complained. As a matter of fact, you can't but envy them.

See bro, as long as we continue to permit corruption (especially in high offices), no amount of money we earn or save will be enough to run this country. Our budget for petrol subsidy has been in the trillions of naira for years because NNPCL claims that our daily consumption was about 60m litres. Subsidy was removed and the price of petrol in neighbouring countries suddenly jerked up. Who is fooling who? Don't you see that we could have saved a lot from simply checking the smuggling if our petrol? Those tankers and pipelines used to smuggle are not pocket sized na. But no, as someone said earlier, we have to cut off the penis and seal off the vagina to control our high libido. We're just paying for their ineptitude jare.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2023
hedonido:

You know we have crude in excess. We can't meet ordinary OPEC quota due to inefficiencies such a bunkering. Then again the phenomenon of oil bunkering and such are purely down to government incompetence. Which is the argument some of us put up against the so-called subsidy removal. The masses cannot and must not be punished for government incompetence and corruption.

On the other hand, a good way to punish the masses is by saddling them with debt resulting from increasing subsidy costs.

Note, I don;t deny corruption and incompetence. Subsidy in itself is a big fuel for corruption and incompetence because free government money.

Removing subsidy means the refineries HAVE TO WORK FOR THEIR MONEY...meaning no more room for corruption and incompetence.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

Well it is around 445 naira or thereabouts. At least it isn't below N300.

And they do that because

1.They can afford both subsides and keeping up their refineries

Libya sells petrol below N20 per liter...and earns revenue from selling 1.8 million barrels of crude a day...whcih it shares among 7.8 million people.

Nigeria at best produces 2 million barrels of crude a day...which it has to share revenue from..among 220 million people.

2.Also, all those countries have massive debt as a result.

Iran subsidsies fuel...AND even has working refineries...AND even has electricity working well....

The problem is at the end of the day, they spend twice their revenue from oil on subsides, and have a very heavy extenral debt. And when the government there suggests removing subsidy....

3.And then there is Venezuela. Heavy subsides...and losses from smuggling of up to 18 billion dollars, and diminished refining capacity...because their refineries cannot make enough money to pay for maintenance...it is what happens when you sell fuel at N12 a liter.
the cost of producing a litre of fuel is 445? Bros abeg stop the false information.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nomolos92: 7:57pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

If they kept the subsidy...we would have eventually run out of money...and IMF would have refused to borrow us money anymore.

Then true suffering would start.

That's the lies they told you, they'll remove what you benefit from the government and make you believe it's for your good but they'll never reduce their exorbitant salaries, bonuses and allowances an inch.
Buhari administration had 44 ministers just for political rewards and senseless jamboree, meanwhile we only have 28 federal ministries and the constitution only allow 36 cabinet members (one from every state)
This is just one of the waste the waste money and make governance so expensive, they'll never reduce the cost of governance but they'll make stupid excuses to strip you of your benefits and pass the suffer to you
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by emorse(m): 7:58pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:
The problem with subsidy is price setting.

Everything else, including ineptitude...and corruption...arises from the first cause...price setting...

I'll end it here.

You've actually tried bro. I wish you'd get paid. However please check this before you go and tell me how on earth they were making losses at the previous price if not for corruption.

[URL]https://voltaoil.com/what-makes-up-retail-price-for-gasoline/[URL]
nairalanda1:

On the other hand, a good way to punish the masses is by saddling them with debt resulting from increasing subsidy costs.

Note, I don;t deny corruption and incompetence. Subsidy in itself is a big fuel for corruption and incompetence because free government money.

Removing subsidy means the refineries HAVE TO WORK FOR THEIR MONEY...meaning no more room for corruption and incompetence.
You seem to be missing the point. We shouldn't be borrowing in the first place because the subsidy bills shouldn't be so high. Yes it is a fuel for corruption and ineptitude but that's because people don't get punished for their wrong doings. And now matter how free the market becomes, no amount of money we earn or save will be sufficient for is if we continue to shift blames to the masses instead of punishing offenders.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by Babinski: 7:59pm On Jun 17, 2023
LadyExcellency:
The cost (N500) in Nigeria 🇳🇬 is high.

Nigeria was selling at N195 and Benin Republic domestic fuel sold at CFA508 (N381), so the smuggler took that advantage to exploit Niger’s market, selling below our litre price. - Benin Republic Reports.

The actual price of petrol in Benin Republic is N381

After Tinubu's inauguration speech on Fuel Subsidy, most Petrol Stations jacked their prices to around N300 per litre and some even sold their old stock at their old prices. Until NNPC announced new prices and the stations adjusted. The truth is that the proper susbidy removed price for our oil is more around N300 than N500!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nomolos92: 8:01pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

Removing subsidy is more like dealing with the source of the high libido, not cutting anything (and I don't advise self mutilation by the by cheesy)

The problem with subsidy is that the difference between the production and transport cost AND the subsidized retail price is always growing...and it keeps growing, until one day, we wake up and we are shoveling all our oil revenue, AND borrowed money to pay for subsides.

Add the fact that oil revenues have not been sufficient for us for years, and the naira value is falling, ....and at the end, we could be spending far more than we earn to keep fuel cheap.

At some point, IMF would start telling us to get our house in order, or no more loans.

It's a mess, personally I think we need subsidy because people are poor (me mask slipped), but if we do not want to end up like Sri Lanka , we have to remove subsidy now.

They budget billions for refineries every year and still go back to loot it
Let them fix the refineries first
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by imagrg(m): 8:01pm On Jun 17, 2023
It's expensive in Nigeria because our refineries are not working.

The cost of exportation of crude oil for refining and later, importing same product to Nigeria further escalate the price of petrol in Nigeria.

The pump price of petrol will fall drastically soon as more refineries are set up and made operational.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 8:02pm On Jun 17, 2023
franciskaine:
the cost of producing a litre of fuel is 445? Bros abeg stop the false information.

Refining crude oil into one liter of fuel costs between 0.40 dollars to 0.70 dollars...which is N308-N532.

Sauce: Google.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by Thomasankara(m): 8:02pm On Jun 17, 2023
[/color]if these resources cannot cater for us all,then let everyone return to their tents[color=#770077]
Ventura1:
Did this comparison factor in the population of these countries? I doubt.

LIBYA: The current population of Libya is 7,146,669 as of Friday, June 16, 2023, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data
Libya Crude Oil: Production was reported at 1,164.000 Barrel/Day th in Feb 2023

ALGERIA: The current population of Algeria is 46,185,544 as of Friday, June 16, 2023, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data. 2023
Algeria Crude Oil Production was reported at 1,013.000 Barrel/Day in Mar 2023.

NIGERIA: The current population of Nigeria is 221,210,114 as of Friday, June 16, 2023, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data
Nigeria Crude Oil: Production was reported at 1,380.000 Barrel/Day th in Feb 2023
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 8:03pm On Jun 17, 2023
nomolos92:

They budget billions for refineries every year and still go back to loot it
Let them fix the refineries first

NNPCL is fixing refineries...has been serious about them for a year now.

Source: someone i know who works for one of the companies involved in repairing the refineries.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 8:05pm On Jun 17, 2023
emorse:

You've actually tried bro. I wish you'd get paid. However please check this before you go and tell me how on earth they were making losses at the previous price if not for corruption.

[URL]https://voltaoil.com/what-makes-up-retail-price-for-gasoline/[URL]

You seem to be missing the point. We shouldn't be borrowing in the first place because the subsidy bills shouldn't be so high. Yes it is a fuel for corruption and ineptitude but that's because people don't get punished for their wrong doings. And now matter how free the market becomes, no amount of money we earn or save will be sufficient for is if we continue to shift blames to the masses instead of punishing offenders.

No, I am not tired...lol

I am just telling you that when you fix prices below production cost, alot of distoritons result.

But guys like you want cheap fuel. And yes, I get it. I too would want fuel to be cheap. But it costs money, even if we get rid of corruption and stealing, to make one liter of fuel. That liter has to be sold at a profit to make the refineries run well, pay for upgrades, and pay for maintenance.

Bring in subsides and corruption always results. Plus debt.

You are missing things because you believe that running deficits to pay for subsidy is good economics. It isn't and we are in a mess because of that.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 8:08pm On Jun 17, 2023
nomolos92:

That's the lies they told you, they'll remove what you benefit from the government and make you believe it's for your good but they'll never reduce their exorbitant salaries, bonuses and allowances an inch.
Buhari administration had 44 ministers just for political rewards and senseless jamboree, meanwhile we only have 28 federal ministries and the constitution only allow 36 cabinet members (one from every state)
This is just one of the waste the waste money and make governance so expensive, they'll never reduce the cost of governance but they'll make stupid excuses to strip you of your benefits and pass the suffer to you

Okay, let's cut government expenditure.

Presidency this year spent...133 billion naira
National assembly spent ...N169 billion naira

Total..just above 300 billion naira

Subsidy costs for one month...N600 billion naira.

Even if we cut costs ....we won't be able to cover subsidy costs for a month, talkless of one year.

AND WE SHOULD CUT COSTS FOR THE POLITICANS...no argument with that.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by Corrections: 8:38pm On Jun 17, 2023
Okay, let's cut government expenditure.

Presidency this year spent...133 billion naira
National assembly spent ...N169 billion naira

Total..just above 300 billion naira

Subsidy costs for one month...N600 billion naira.

Even if we cut costs ....we won't be able to cover subsidy costs for a month, talkless of one year.

AND WE SHOULD CUT COSTS FOR THE POLITICANS...no argument with that.

Please how did you arrive at this your figures of subsidy cost for a month? Does NIGERIA government know the number of foreigners that enter this country a day? Do they have a reliable data base to arrive at this figures. On what ground did they arrive at these false figures?? You see what corruption can do

Is like you don't understand something which is " anything built on the foundation of corruption will not stand."

SUBSIDY REMOVED + CORRUPTION STAYING = MORE SUFFERING FOR NIGERIANS

All these theorical analysis won't amount to anything when the PRACTICAL REALITY of CORRUPTION set in. It won't solve anything Nigerians will just be suffering for what they don't deserve.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by Padipadi(m): 8:59pm On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

Good idea, but we won't have enough money to pay for subsidy from what we raise from such cost cutting.

Like I told you, national assembly is spending N170 billon naira this year. Even if we took all that money and used it for subsidy it won;t cover subsidy costs for a month...which according to this year's budget was 600billion naira for one month alone.

Ok fine. Stop making it appear as if I don't understand your explanation on the subsidy stuff. Let fuel be at N2K per litre. Those thieving pigs ll still thief the money and wreck the economy.
What FG should do next is to de-market politics. Cut earnings so that we can have genuine people in government that are ready to work. If that N170b is shredded to like N30b, it's good.
Look at the recent Kano madness. A new gov started demolishing roundabout built by past administration. Shey na Ganduje's personal money he take build the structure?
Cutting their cost is a way of preventing all those rubbish. And the way they do projects should be monitored.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by ChenHao23: 9:00pm On Jun 17, 2023
Someone that was granted import license for pms as confirmed by the house of representatives?
Does that looks like someone who's sincere about refining crude oil to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal?
nairalanda1:

Corruption is a sympotm of subsidy...it happens whenever there is a subsidy...because free government money.

At the end, let's see if Dangote is serious about domestic refining.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 9:14pm On Jun 17, 2023
Corrections:

Subsidy figures for this year are freely available online
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries by nairalanda1(m): 9:15pm On Jun 17, 2023
ChenHao23:
Someone that was granted import license for pms as confirmed by the house of representatives?
Does that looks like someone who's sincere about refining crude oil to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal?

Import licences till.his refinery is fully ready.

Anyway, wait and see

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sit-at-home In Southeast Has No Economic Impact On Nigeria - Reno Omokri / Atiku Returns To Nigeria After Spending 7 Months In UAE / Buhari’s Kinsmen Attack Aisha Over Villa Crisis - Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.