Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,986 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? (1019 Views)

Available To Teach Further Mathematics In Osogbo / Professional Private Home Tutor For Mathematics In AMAC Abuja / Akwa Ibom To Employ First-class Graduates To Teach In Secondary Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by Delightsome2023: 8:11am On Jun 20, 2023
I was looking for a job so I applied for a teaching job and they responded to me and told me they mostly need mathematics teachers since its a recently established school with few teachers.
I'm Arts and my knowledge of mathematics is below par but since I'm so desperate for a job, I now need your opinion to know if I can use open AI (Chatgpt) to teach students mathematics?
Cc mrshape
Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by Vasgas: 8:23am On Jun 20, 2023
Delightsome2023:
I was looking for a job so I applied for a teaching job and they responded to me and told me they mostly need mathematics teachers since its a recently established school with few teachers.
I'm Arts and my knowledge of mathematics is below par but since I'm so desperate for a job, I now need your opinion to know if I can use open AI (Chatgpt) to teach students mathematics?
Cc mrshape

He go hard.. mathematics na by sabiness no be by copy and paste

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by Delightsome2023: 8:25am On Jun 20, 2023
Vasgas:

He go hard.. mathematics na by sabiness no be by copy and paste
exactly what I was thinking. It's not a theoretical course that I'll just generate content and explain to the students.
Alright mission aborted

1 Like

Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by SUPERPACK: 8:53am On Jun 20, 2023
Delightsome2023:
exactly what I was thinking. It's not a theoretical course that I'll just generate content and explain to the students.
Alright mission aborted
Which class are you planning to teach?

1 Like

Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by Mrshape: 10:34am On Jun 20, 2023
Delightsome2023:
Cc mrshape
It won't be possible, teach a subject you are grounded in so that students won't embarrass you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by WantsandMore: 1:18pm On Jun 20, 2023
But it would've been an interesting test of hypothesis as to wether or nor conversational learning is sustainable & the impacts it has on humans. Cos come to think of it, even with the generated answers there's a lot for you to learn as you can ask it to explain its answers thereby opening up your below par maths skills. Try, if it doesn't work, quit. Just curious 😏
Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by Highways: 1:22pm On Jun 20, 2023
Why not... Combine your brain with chatgpt

1 Like

Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by Mrshape: 1:54pm On Jun 20, 2023
WantsandMore:
But it would've been an interesting test of hypothesis as to wether or nor conversational learning is sustainable & the impacts it has on humans. Cos come to think of it, even with the generated answers there's a lot for you to learn as you can ask it to explain its answers thereby opening up your below par maths skills. Try, if it doesn't work, quit. Just curious 😏
I have experimented it,
It sometimes gives wrong answers and if you are not good in that aspect of mathematics you will not know, hence sending wrong Information to the children.
And someone that can't solve mathematics can't command chat Gbt correctly because it is the command you give it that is what it will process,

And again what chat GPT will give you is solution and steps ( that is if it is able to interpret your command correctly)
So what the need when textbook has the solution and step in text.

I don't mean chat Gbt is not intelligent no,
If you give it a clear command you will get an accurate answer of high degree,

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by WantsandMore: 2:28pm On Jun 20, 2023
Mrshape:

I have experimented it,
It sometimes gives wrong answers and if you are not good in that aspect of mathematics you will not know, hence sending wrong Information to the children.
And someone that can't solve mathematics can't command chat Gbt correctly because it is the command you give it that is what it will process,

And again what chat GPT will give you is solution and steps ( that is if it is able to interpret your command correctly)
So what the need when textbook has the solution and step in text.

I don't mean chat Gbt is not intelligent no,
If you give it a clear command you will get an accurate answer of high degree,

he can use mathematics text books for his prompt now or why mathematics solved that question in that way thereby opening up possibilities of exploring maths instead of craming maths. Aren't you curious?
Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by Mrshape: 3:15pm On Jun 20, 2023
WantsandMore:
he can use mathematics text books for his prompt now or why mathematics solved that question in that way thereby opening up possibilities of exploring maths instead of craming maths. Aren't you curious?
?
Who say anything about cramming.
I said chat Gbt will not help him to teach when he don't have good Mathematics mastering,
Besides let him get a mentor if he want to learn on the job,
Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by WantsandMore: 3:19pm On Jun 20, 2023
Mrshape:

?
Who say anything about cramming.
I said chat Gbt will not help him to teach when he don't have good Mathematics mastering,
Besides let him get a mentor if he want to learn on the job,
you've a point but you didn't have to be all knowing about his future when there's room for improvement
Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by Mrshape: 3:38pm On Jun 20, 2023
WantsandMore:
you've a point but you didn't have to be all knowing about his future when there's room for improvement
What I mean is that even some maths teachers that can teach mathematics more than average can't use chat Gbt, let alone someone that says he is clearly not good in it,
Fine he can improve let him get a mentor I have a lot of mathematics teachers I mentor, when they run into problem they visit me before they go to class,
Let him find a mentor close by if he can't let he teach what he is good at, unless the students are very bad in mathematics if not they will frustrate his effort or he will end up puting wrong knowledge in them, and it is better for a child not to have learnt anything in mathematics than for him to learn and master wrong approach, because for you to unlearn wrong mathemaical concept from children is very difficult.
Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by Maj196(m): 4:08pm On Jun 20, 2023
ChatGPT isn't perfect, it makes mistakes to. So don't rely on it too much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by GodWrites: 7:53pm On Jun 20, 2023
The AI can teach you, then you teach your students. But first you have to learn it. You can't give what you don't have.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by Mrshape: 8:07pm On Jun 20, 2023
GodWrites:
The AI can teach you, then you teach your students. But first you have to learn it. You can't give what you don't have.
The AI can teach you rubbish in some questions, the bad thing about it is that a novice will not know if it is wrong, it takes a professional to detect error in AI calculation.
Textbook is better for learning with less error because it has being reviewed by many before published,

One thing with learning mathematics is that make sure you learn with error free material unless you will end up learning rubbish.
I am going to publish some errors in chat Gbt in mathematical computations, to prove that it can't be trusted by novice but can be very helpful to professionals in their field because they can detect errors using besic principles that guild the subject matter
Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by OBA117(m): 8:21pm On Jun 20, 2023
You better don't go and disgrace yourself. When the students ask you practical questions that demand immediate answer what will you do?
Re: Can I Use CHATGPT To Teach Mathematics In A Secondary School? by aorseer: 10:13pm On Jun 20, 2023
grin

(1) (Reply)

Anybody That Took Maritime Exams? / Ap Moeller Interview / Intercontinental Bank Test Result Abuja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.