Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,170 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. (19679 Views)

Benin 0-1 Nigeria: Paul Onuachu Speaks After Goal (Photos, Video) / Real Story Behind India’s 99-1 Win Over Nigeria In World Cup Game(Video) / Poland 0 Vs 1 Nigeria: 5 Things We Learnt In Super Eagles Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by jeff1607(m): 11:46am On Sep 02, 2023
Shaolin soccer
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Kewellbanks: 11:47am On Sep 02, 2023
Padipadi:
Who remembered this lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. It should be the most successful lie in the history of Nigeria.
The indomie generation won't know this.
That was the greatest lie ever told!!!

3 Likes

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Timoleon(m): 11:48am On Sep 02, 2023
The man tried Na. He sacrificed his life to score one for us.
Xwizard:
Still looking for the clip and the first person to plot this terrible lie. We folks then con dey see Okparaji as a saint

1 Like

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Timoleon(m): 11:49am On Sep 02, 2023
Yes Na. The juju was too much
rickleye:

And that was why India was banned from playing soccer so they play cricket
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Kewellbanks: 11:49am On Sep 02, 2023
MrsTwrite:
What's going on here, I don't understand this.πŸ˜‚
Indomie Generation at it again...! Sorry my dear

2 Likes

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Timoleon(m): 11:53am On Sep 02, 2023
Extra grossly exaggerated.
butterfly777:

That's why. It's started dieing down from the middle 90s when television became more common.

Another one is that Jayjay Okacha dribbled the whole team in Germany. It has also died down because people can now watch the video clip of what actually happened on YouTube. And men. It's grossly exaggerated.
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Kewellbanks: 11:55am On Sep 02, 2023
Guyman01:
We were told Emmanuel Okala the Super Eagles goalkeeper anytime he wants to catch the ball he would see 7 balls at the same time with the ball even turning into a Lion grin
And the striker Chris Ogedemgbe if he wants to score against India the ball will turn into a big stone.

Childhood back in the day was fun, we were free like birds, no one bordered about your whereabouts until dinner preparation time or when the Muslims will announce the evening Call to Prayer from the famous AHUJA Loudspeakers then we would be returning from the football pitch where all these stories, myths and mythology were spread looking very dirty and nobody will ask you to go and shower before going to bed.
This gives me goosebumps. What a memories...!
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by fojjosh: 11:56am On Sep 02, 2023
What is wrong with you self, U need to change this Ur format that U having been using all this days to extort money from people and don't forget to also inform FAITH Ur second bcoz that is the format that both of U always use.
Merose:
Please guys, pls if anybody can help me with any little amount to eat I will be very happy. Feeding is a big problem for me and my family please no matter how small. I havent eaten anything since yesterday in the morning pls. My dad is a retired teacher and my mom is late. Am a single mother with my own son mouth to feed, the little money i make have use it to cater for my dad illness and pay house rent but his health is getting worst. Now we can't even eat or buy water to drink. Please if you're reading this message pls come to our aid, no matter how small it will go a long way pls. May God meet you at the point of your need as you have show us mercy amen
Acct num; Angela Ubi
G.TBank
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by aremubabs: 11:56am On Sep 02, 2023
There were many versions of that story.

One story said it was Teslim Balogun that scored Nigeria's only goal and died because he kicked a stone which the ball had turned into. There was a legend about Teslim Balogun's left leg. That if he kicked a ball with the left leg, it often tore the net. It was even said that when his brother tried to stop one of Teslim's shots, the ball tore through his chest and killed him. Because of Teslim's powerful left leg, he was able to shoot the stone and score, but ended up dying.

Another version said it was Mudashiru Lawal that scored the only goal and died as a result of kicking a stone.

Another version said it was Samuel Okwaraji who scored that goal and died as a result of kicking a stone.

The one thing that baffles me about this extraordinary story is how we all swallowed it. I mean, the story has so many holes, yet we swallowed it and even helped to spread it to our younger ones.
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Timoleon(m): 11:58am On Sep 02, 2023
It’s a myth Na. The story will change with time and with each retelling. By the early 90s the story became more interesting with the death of okwaraji.
Demurray:
Okwaraji ke? Na Segun Odegbami I dey hear for dat story o, that scorely the goal for Nigeria. Even the story was in existence even before I hear the name Okwaraji.
Also It was their goal keeper that turned lion while ball, stone.Since that match, the were banned from international competition .

Anyways, everybody bought the lie

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Mubieey: 12:01pm On Sep 02, 2023
Hahaha I remembered they even said that was the reason why India was banned from Football because of their magic during football games
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Mubieey: 12:03pm On Sep 02, 2023
They even said that was the reason for banning India from football because of their use of magic during matches
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Princeton92(m): 12:04pm On Sep 02, 2023
Unforgettable
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Ifylee515: 12:14pm On Sep 02, 2023
They storyteller becomes annoyed once you question the authenticity of the story e.g date, venue and players.

1 Like

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by skylar89: 12:16pm On Sep 02, 2023
A bu m number 1.
A bu m number 2.
A bu m number 3 Taribo West.
Aga m echeta Sam Okwaraji,
Onye Nigerian onwuru onwu ike.
Kpa kpa kpa, kpa goal keeper.
Goal keeper e felie elu tie akwaoche.
Akwaoche di oke onu.....

2 Likes

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by JuanDeDios: 12:29pm On Sep 02, 2023
DeAnonymousGuy:

Which do you consider the greatest in your opinion?
That subsidies are bad and must be removed for a country to make progress.

1 Like

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by kapelvej: 12:54pm On Sep 02, 2023
Sheuns:
One story I totally believed while growing up.

It was said that the ball changed and shifted shape from stone, to lion to fire before Sam Okwaraji managed to kick it and scored the one goal that Nigeria needed to win a match they were losing by 99-0. How hilarious it is to believe such story.
you
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by kapelvej: 12:54pm On Sep 02, 2023
Sheuns:

It was said that the ball changed and shifted shape from stone, to lion to fire before Sam Okwaraji managed to kick it and scored the one goal that Nigeria needed to win a match they were losing by 99-0. How hilarious it is to believe such story.
you must 45 and above
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by zedman1(m): 1:00pm On Sep 02, 2023
Unfortunately, I still have people of my age grade who still believe that fairy tale was true. If you ask them why they still believe such trash, they'll ask you why we don't see India participating in the world cup. Do I need any juju to explain why? Na wah o. We really suffered from such things in the "good old days".
Modified ;
Kai, I've seen a lot of people I described here still asking that ridiculous question.
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Joyson: 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2023
I was there witnessing the changes of the ball, write from the beginning of the match till the end. shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Tokziby: 1:05pm On Sep 02, 2023
aremubabs:
There were many versions of that story.

One story said it was Teslim Balogun that scored Nigeria's only goal and died because he kicked a stone which the ball had turned into. There was a legend about Teslim Balogun's left leg. That if he kicked a ball with the left leg, it often tore the net. It was even said that when his brother tried to stop one of Teslim's shots, the ball tore through his chest and killed him. Because of Teslim's powerful left leg, he was able to shoot the stone and score, but ended up dying.

Another version said it was Mudashiru Lawal that scored the only goal and died as a result of kicking a stone.

Another version said it was Samuel Okwaraji who scored that goal and died as a result of kicking a stone.

The one thing that baffles me about this extraordinary story is how we all swallowed it. I mean, the story has so many holes, yet we swallowed it and even helped to spread it to our younger ones.

The original version was about Teslim Balogun aka Thunder Balogun and the myth about his left leg that ended up killing his only brothe as u said.
It can't be Samuel Okwaraji cos we witness his death in 1989 at the Mainbowl of the national stadium in Surulere. After his death Kolington Ayinla (old school Fuji artist) paid tribute to him in his song few years later as well as Nelson Mandela when he gained freedom from the prison after 27yrs.
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by DeAnonymousGuy(m): 1:09pm On Sep 02, 2023
JuanDeDios:

That subsidies are bad and must be removed for a country to make progress.

Lol πŸ˜‚ grin
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by InvertedHammer: 1:32pm On Sep 02, 2023
Padipadi:
Who remembered this lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. It should be the most successful lie in the history of Nigeria.
The indomie generation won't know this.
/

What's a lie about it?

It is only as absurd as believing that holy spirit fell on a virgin who gave birth to God in the form of a man. It is equally as absurd as believing that a serpent had discussion with a woman which reminds one of those Igbo folktales about tortoise and other animals.

But then, if it is written in a book, it must be true. Do you believe Harry Porter? Why not?

/

1 Like

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by thatigboman: 1:55pm On Sep 02, 2023
VinnyBaba:

Even in my Hood those days watching France 1998 World cup,
We claimed Sunday Oliseh scored against Spain from CENTER FIELD. πŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜„
but Sunday oliseh scored a free kick from the centre field naa

1 Like

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by thatigboman: 1:59pm On Sep 02, 2023
Timoleon:
It’s a myth Na. The story will change with time and with each retelling. By the early 90s the story became more interesting with the death of okwaraji.
exactly. The one I was told, there was no mention of Nigeria scoring. Just that it ended 99-0 but would have been 100 if not that our keeper saved 1.

1 Like

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by mrdipye(m): 2:11pm On Sep 02, 2023
Omo I still haven't heard the real story o
I'll keep believing till I hear a more convincing one
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Padipadi(m): 2:26pm On Sep 02, 2023
InvertedHammer:

/

What's a lie about it?

It is only as absurd as believing that holy spirit fell on a virgin who gave birth to God in the form of a man. It is equally as absurd as believing that a serpent had discussion with a woman which reminds one of those Igbo folktales about tortoise and other animals.

But then, if it is written in a book, it must be true. Do you believe Harry Porter? Why not?

/
Koriburuku, koshi lo!
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by princeabdul(m): 2:57pm On Sep 02, 2023
Available πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯

Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by VinnyBaba: 3:05pm On Sep 02, 2023
thatigboman:
but Sunday oliseh scored a free kick from the centre field naa

Lolss.

It wasn't from Center field, my man. πŸ˜πŸ™‚
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Nursepepeye(f): 3:16pm On Sep 02, 2023
Sheuns:

and the one goal eventually killed okparaji
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by MrsTwrite(f): 3:29pm On Sep 02, 2023
Kewellbanks:
Indomie Generation at it again...! Sorry my dear

πŸ₯²
Re: Who Remembered This Lie? India 99-1 Nigeria. by Josbreed: 3:36pm On Sep 02, 2023
MrsTwrite:
What's going on here, I don't understand this.πŸ˜‚

Indomie gen.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Vinicius Praises Sevilla For Ejecting Fan Making Racist Gestures / PSG Ready To Make Mbappe Highest-Paid Player Ahead Of Messi, Neymar / Hugo Lloris Announces Retirement From International Football (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.