Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,014 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent (3446 Views)

Outrage As UNIBEN Security Slaps Student Over Alleged Indecent Dressing / UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends / Covenant University Increases School Fees For International Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by BleedingPen: 10:42am On Jun 21, 2023
Management of the University of Benin (UNIBEN), Benin City, has astronomically increased school fees payable by undergraduate (UG) students of the institution by over 100 Per cent.

Checks by METROWATCH on Tuesday night showed that the new fee regime for the institution located in Edo State, takes effect from the next 2022/2023 academic session.

Science students, who until now pay the sum of N73,400 as school fees per session, will henceforth pay N190,000; while fees for non-science students was increased from the current N69,900 to N170,000.

A breakdown of the new fee regime showed that while items such as ICT, Counseling, Accreditation, Sanitation and Certificate Screening were introduced into the list; charges for existing items such as Examination Fee, Laboratory Fees, Library/MTN Lib., Orientation Brochure, Sport, Utility, Bank Charges/Portal Charges and Student Union dues were simply increased.

It was, however, observed that fees for returning students for the current 2021/2022 academic session remain unchanged. While Science students pay N45,400, their non-science counterparts pay N41,400.

Meanwhile, efforts to obtain comment from Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Institution, Mrs Benedicta Adeola Ehanire, on the development, proved abortive.

But, President of the Institution’s Students Union, Mr Nmoye Israel, alias Cyano, in a post on social media, ascribed the fee to typographical error, while calling on students to remain calm as the “error” would be corrected.

However, an explanation offered on the website of the University saying the new price regime takes effect from the 2022/2023 academic session and does not affect returning students, contradicted Israel’s statement.

“Please note that all students admitted before the 2022/2023 session will continue to pay their earlier stated respective charge(i.e N45,400 for science and N41,400 for non-science students),” the statement published on the students’ portal of the University of Benin read.

According to the amended calender of the Institution, affected [new] students for the 2022/2023 academic session are expected in the halls of residence on July 2, while lectures are to commence on July 10.

Students kick

Meanwhile, students of the institution have kicked against the austronimcal increment of school fees, while calling for immediate reversal of the hike and threatening to occupy the streets.

Our correspondent observed that the students have since taken to social media to vent their anger against management of the institution and the Bola Tinubu led federal government.

Some believe that the new price regime may not be unconnected to the FG students loan recently signed into law by President Tinubu, where the federal government had hinted that it could no longer fund universities’ activities.

https://metrowatchxtra.com/2023/06/21/students-kick-as-uniben-increases-school-fees-by-over-100-per-cent-metrowatch/

Lala Seun Mynd44

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by BleedingPen: 10:42am On Jun 21, 2023
Thoughts?

1 Like

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Illuminatiship(m): 10:46am On Jun 21, 2023
God punish tinubu , peter obi and all our Nigerian politicians.it shall be well with the youths...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by drugBaronTINUBU: 10:48am On Jun 21, 2023
BleedingPen:

https://metrowatchxtra.com/2023/06/21/students-kick-as-uniben-increases-school-fees-by-over-100-per-cent-metrowatch/

Lala Seun Mynd44
My school
Chai
I paid 40k for clearance and 40k school fees as a year one student
From year 2 to year 4 I paid 10k as school fees
Year 5 which was my final year, i paid 14k

I say big capital NO to the increment
It's so painful that people that enjoyed relatively free education are the ones championing for heavy increment in school fees
Perfect example of cutting the ladder after crossing

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by helinues: 10:49am On Jun 21, 2023
Toh
Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by clockwisereport: 10:52am On Jun 21, 2023
GO TO COURT
Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by festacman(m): 10:53am On Jun 21, 2023
Mind you, tuition fee never enter ooo!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Ogene001: 10:54am On Jun 21, 2023
No tuition yet ooo. This one is just for the inflation. By the time government stop funding universities and tuition is introduced na over one million naira be that

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Creamcrest(m): 11:01am On Jun 21, 2023
Is it by force they must go to school?

Let them learn a trade or a lucrative skill.

3 Likes

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by CJStarz: 11:21am On Jun 21, 2023
Sad indeed

drugBaronTINUBU:

My school
Chai

It's so painful that people that enjoyed relatively free education are the ones championing for heavy increment in school fees
Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Acidosis(m): 11:29am On Jun 21, 2023
Can anyone confirm this? Maybe they're trying to get the reaction of students.
Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Adabestseason(m): 11:32am On Jun 21, 2023
Instead for the students to close down the school you are coming to nairaland,those who benefited so much from the system are closing the doors against poor nigerians.The country is for them and their children,next election students should get their PVCs and vote anyhow they want.

2 Likes

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by kelechi50: 11:33am On Jun 21, 2023
And the worst part is that after paying the fees, you may end up staying 6 years for four years program.

After all a former minister of education said he knew nothing about education system before being appointed.

God bless my country.l

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by folake4u(f): 11:34am On Jun 21, 2023
Acidosis:

It's true.

3 Likes

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by mizzhathaway: 11:40am On Jun 21, 2023
Acidosis:

It's true 🥲

2 Likes

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by CandidAdmin(m): 11:54am On Jun 21, 2023
Hope the increament no go affect my school too much

Question of the day - is it possible to keep up with the fees without taking the loans? Cause I don't want to.

Check my siggy!
Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Image123(m): 12:02pm On Jun 21, 2023
Na wa. The definition of corruption fighting back. ASUU has openly opposed the students loan. They want to frustrate it because they don't want autonomy in the real sense. They want the FG to continue taking care of them and feeding them, sharing the money.
Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Samfloxin(m): 12:15pm On Jun 21, 2023
The more the youths are educated the more they challenge them . They don't have plans for the youths

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Teenwolf(m): 12:19pm On Jun 21, 2023
rubbish
Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by PoloG: 12:49pm On Jun 21, 2023
edo nor be Lagos cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Leopoldm: 12:54pm On Jun 21, 2023
✅✅

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Acidosis(m): 1:05pm On Jun 21, 2023
folake4u:

It's true.

Ahh.. Nawao. Better to take that money to a private university.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by folake4u(f): 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2023
Acidosis:

Ahh.. Nawao. Better to take that money to a private university.

Exactly. Na to go Private University win am.

The school fees was first 13,400 then it increased to 40k and now 170k/190k.

2 Likes

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Acidosis(m): 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2023
mizzhathaway:

It's true 🥲

Hmmn.. It is well.

1 Like

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Acidosis(m): 1:11pm On Jun 21, 2023
folake4u:

Exactly. Na to go Private University win am.

The school fees was first 13,400 then it increased to 40k and now 170k/190k.

Yes o.. Many private universities are relatively affordable now with zero strike action or cultism.

Maybe they want to encourage yahoo on a maximum scale. If the federal government genuinely want to increase fees, then the government should start with northern universities.
Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by folake4u(f): 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2023
Acidosis:

Yes o.. Many private universities are relatively affordable now with zero strike action or cultism.

Maybe they want to encourage yahoo on a maximum scale. If the federal government genuinely want to increase fees, then the government should start with northern universities.

True. Just that private universities can be advanced secondary school with all their restrictions. lipsrsealed

Yahoo is already everywhere.😂😂😂😂
Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by fuckingAyaya(m): 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2023
Illuminatiship:
God punish tinubu , peter obi and all our Nigerian politicians.it shall be well with the youths...
you well?

1 Like

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by kmaster007: 2:02pm On Jun 21, 2023
I thought you people dey hail Obi
Illuminatiship:

1 Like

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Dougad: 2:14pm On Jun 21, 2023
Wow!

I paid N14400 back then

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students Kick As UNIBEN Increases School Fees By Over 100 Per Cent by Delightsome2023: 2:21pm On Jun 21, 2023
drugBaronTINUBU:

My school
Chai

it was later Increased.
I graduated from uniben as well but my 100 level acceptance fee was 70k, My 100 level fees 73k and as a returning student from 200 level till final year I paid 45k.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nov 14th Is Closer Than You Think…. Hope You Have Started Preparation? / Biochemistry And Microbiology, Which One / Will Muslims Ever Stop Been Terrorists And Murderers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.