Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,929 members, 7,810,583 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) (4485 Views)

Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) / Umahi Hands Over King David University Of Medical Sciences To Catholic Church / Cherubim And Seraphim Church To Establish University At Omu Aran Kwara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by siofra(f): 8:37pm On Jun 22, 2023
The Tragic History of the Castrati: The Italian Boys Who Were Castrated to Preserve Their High Singing Voices

In the 16th century, the Vatican implemented a ban prohibiting women from singing in church choirs. However, the desire for high singing voices remained, leading choirs throughout Italy to adopt an alternative solution: employing castrati. These were young boys who had undergone castration before reaching puberty. By removing their testicles, the procedure prevented their voices from deepening during adolescence, allowing them to retain their high-pitched singing voices into adulthood.

While the castrati possessed unique vocal abilities highly prized in the music world, their lives were marked by significant hardships. Castration resulted in a lack of testosterone production, which led to various adverse effects on their bodies. The castrati often experienced abnormal bone growth, osteoporosis, and a propensity for depression.

Some fortunate castrati managed to achieve fame and fortune thanks to their exceptional voices, securing prestigious positions in renowned choirs and opera houses. However, the majority of castrati lived in poverty and obscurity throughout their lives. Many faced immense challenges and struggles, both due to the physical consequences of the castration procedure and the social stigma associated with their condition. This often led to a tragic existence until their eventual death.

@historyinmemes

Source: Facebook

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by siofra(f): 8:38pm On Jun 22, 2023
I wonder why our priest doesn't talk about this on Sundays grin

14 Likes

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Flight90: 8:40pm On Jun 22, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by bigdammyj: 8:42pm On Jun 22, 2023
Noted.
Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Theomarvelus(m): 8:46pm On Jun 22, 2023
I do not know Gods mind, but I think this is a SIN...

3 Likes

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jun 22, 2023
siofra:

What is funny? Don't behave like the party of touts

2 Likes

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:09pm On Jun 22, 2023
which of you "holy pass xtians" want to give up their anaconda for the church?!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by 1Sharon(f): 9:21pm On Jun 22, 2023
Why the preference for male singing voices over females? undecided

It's what the homosexual priests wanted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by vastolord4(m): 9:30pm On Jun 22, 2023
Imagine sacrificing a body part created by God to serve God.. is it not a sin? I'm sure the boys willing gave them up cos slavery was/is another form of religion
Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by grandstar(m): 10:30pm On Jun 22, 2023
This is what false religion can do.

What's the scriptural backing for castration? None

3 Likes

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by DodadaKoKigbe: 10:53pm On Jun 22, 2023
Only Africans with slave mentality STILL subscribe to Christianity or Islam.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Rich4god(m): 10:54pm On Jun 22, 2023
siofra:

You are only being mischievous, cos your heading and content of the message is two different things.

Your topic made it seem like the church forced castration on them, rather they choose to be castrated in other to join choir of the church.

Or maybe you can explain better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Baronthecelebri: 12:21am On Jun 23, 2023
Very bad
Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Adukpe19(m): 5:13am On Jun 23, 2023
That's impressive

1 Like

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by crossfm: 5:31am On Jun 23, 2023
Another topic to bash the Catholic church.

While I don't hold brief for any church,but let's not forget the fact that this article is talking about 16 century.

Let's just imagine what was going on in other cultural and religious setting at that point in time.

Another salient point, which the op failed to establish is that it was still a Roma Catholic pope who abolished the practice. It was in 1878 that Pope Leo XIII banned the church from hiring castrati.

The article also didn't do justice to the fact that in most cases that the parents are the ones who sort for their children to be castrated,so that they could achieve fame and riches.

It also failed to mention the fact that these musicians did not perform only in catholic church's. They performed in famous occasions and for the high and mighty. It was recorded that Queen Elisabetta Farnese of Spain, hired Farinelli to cure her husband of depression.

Mind you like I said earlier,am not holding brief for anybody,but let's be holistic in telling history.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by CJStarz: 5:49am On Jun 23, 2023
How can you say they CHOSE to be castrated when the evil act was carried out on the CHILDREN BEFORE PUBERTY? Please stop defending the indefensible. It was a gross form of child abuse.

Rich4god:

You are only being mischievous, cos your heading and content of the message is two different things.

Your topic made it seem like the church forced castration on them, rather they choose to be castrated in other to join choir of the church.

6 Likes

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by 1Sharon(f): 5:56am On Jun 23, 2023
Rich4god:

Are you really saying a child can consent to such a major decision over their bodies?

How many adult men alone consent to castration, unless there is something wrong with their testicles?

5 Likes

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Nobody: 5:59am On Jun 23, 2023
The useless religion. Christians will try and try to cover this atrocity. To them, there's nothing wrong with it as long as it's for their god.

Chai, religion don really destroy some people mentality. Tueh! 😭

4 Likes

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by mytime24(f): 6:04am On Jun 23, 2023
No f angry sad fr dem lipsrsealed
Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Xtboy15(m): 6:24am On Jun 23, 2023
Am waiting for uncle rightousness to say some thing on this issue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by udede(m): 6:26am On Jun 23, 2023
DodadaKoKigbe:
Only Africans with slave mentality STILL subscribe to Christianity or Islam.
abeg which one do you subscribe to, maybe we can try it out, im a Rastafarian thiugh

3 Likes

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by osmosis101(m): 6:31am On Jun 23, 2023
siofra:

Do you go to chuch?

1 Like

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Dougad: 6:33am On Jun 23, 2023
I remember one useless internet theory wey talk say Michael Jackson papa castrate am to retain e youthful voice.

lmao
Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Gentleswift(m): 6:38am On Jun 23, 2023
Their choices.

1 Like

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Aladdin1(m): 6:48am On Jun 23, 2023
They would never appreciate the enormity of sins they were rescued from.what calamity and sins the penis cannot lead a man to commit.does not exist!.

1 Like

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Popesuccess(m): 7:28am On Jun 23, 2023
Theomarvelus:
Is the highest form of evil before God and man.
Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by eepeepook: 7:46am On Jun 23, 2023
Man is imperfect. It is reflected in religion, politics and our lifespans.

2 Likes

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Loadedtheory: 7:59am On Jun 23, 2023
Alot of attrocities have been constituted by the Church. I wonder how evil the church would be some many years ago. Anbody who have read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown would understand more.

1 Like

Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by potent5(m): 8:03am On Jun 23, 2023
siofra:
Because the church is not a place of truth. The church has become a place worse than the coven of the wicked politicians.
Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by Kevineleven(m): 8:05am On Jun 23, 2023
Theomarvelus:
A terrible sin
Re: Italian Boys Castrated By The Catholic Church To Retain High Voices (photo) by KingMack(m): 8:58am On Jun 23, 2023
The church have done a lot of questionable things in the past😔☹️☹️

(1) (2) (Reply)

Brain Tease Questions And Answers / Rivers State University Of Sci. & Technology (RSUST): Aspirants, Under/graduates / Riot In Delta State Polytechnic Ozoro, (DSPZ)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.