Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Is Tithe Meant For Us? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Tithe Meant For Us? (863 Views)

Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? / Is Tithe Collected Daily, Weekly, Monthly Or Yearly? / Is Tithe For Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Tithe Meant For Us? by benlay(m): 5:38am On Sep 07, 2007
Tithe/tithing has been really stressed today in Xtiandom,i now ask-"is tithe meant 4 us". If anybody has to contribute the Bible alone should be our creed here.
Re: Is Tithe Meant For Us? by fadenike(f): 1:32pm On Sep 07, 2007
Of course Bible alone should be our creed but do remember that Bible is not isolated, it comprises commandment of which giving tenth part of your earning is one.
thus if u believe Bible, tithing should be done without grudging.
check malachi 3:10-12. It is a commandment, also remember that it has being from Abraham.
Re: Is Tithe Meant For Us? by benlay(m): 6:54am On Sep 08, 2007
what Abraham did was a commandment under the Law,we are now in the Christian age & no more under the Law;1 Cor.16:1-2.
Tithe was 4 Israel alone. Levites (male children above 18 in Levi's tribe were annoited as Priests to work in the Tabernacle & they did not work then)were receiving Tithes Num 18:26,Neh.13:26
Re: Is Tithe Meant For Us? by pilgrim1(f): 3:40pm On Sep 08, 2007
@benlay,

benlay:

what Abraham did was a commandment under the Law,we are now in the Christian age & no more under the Law;1 Cor.16:1-2.
Tithe was 4 Israel alone. Levites (male children above 18 in Levi's tribe were annoited as Priests to work in the Tabernacle & they did not work then)were receiving Tithes Num 18:26,Neh.13:26

Please do us just one favour: find us the verse that says Abraham gave tithes as a matter of "a comandment under the Law". Who "commanded" Abraham to give tithes to Melchizedek?

Cheers.
Re: Is Tithe Meant For Us? by benlay(m): 10:35pm On Sep 09, 2007
When i said what Abraham did was under the Law,i did not mean Tithe actually but i was referring to the fact dt God was giving DIRECT commandment to His people then but now speaks to us through His son.Heb. 1:1 and dt God has made a new convenant wt us ,Heb. 8:6,  9:15-20. Nobody will be saved by the Law.
Read Rom.3:20, 28,  4:13-16, 1 cor. 16;1-2
i dont know where Abraham paid tithe
Re: Is Tithe Meant For Us? by pilgrim1(f): 10:38am On Sep 10, 2007
@benlay,

benlay:

When i said what Abraham did was under the Law,i did not mean Tithe actually but i was referring to the fact dt God was giving DIRECT commandment to His people then but now speaks to us through His son.Heb. 1:1 and dt God has made a new convenant wt us ,Heb. 8:6, 9:15-20. Nobody will be saved by the Law.
Read Rom.3:20, 28, 4:13-16, 1 cor. 16;1-2

I see. The point I'd wanted you to clarify was about what Abraham did "a comandment under the Law" - as you're here discussing "tithes" and connecting it to Abraham.

benlay:

i don't know where Abraham paid tithe

Abraham gave tithes, but he did not do so as "a comandment under the Law". See:

[list]
Gen. 14:18-20
'And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all. '

Heb. 7:1-2, 4
"For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace. . . Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils."[/list]

Cheers. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Bishops Wear Caps. Jews And Arabs Too / Who Is God? / Judge Not So That Ye Be Not Judged!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.