Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,829 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? (942 Views)

Official Portrait Of Fashola As Minister Of Power, Works And Housing / New Hurdle For Amaechi, Fashola As Senate Rules That Two Senators Must Endorse E / The Best Democratic President Nigeria Has Ever Had (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Blackteeth(m): 9:04pm On Oct 03, 2011
Do You Prefer Fashola As A Dictator Or Democratic President?

Personally I must say that democracy is not working in Nigeria and will never work as long as the current lawlessness in the sphere of governance persists. In my opinion, I think it is easier for Nigeria to get transformed under a dictator who rules with absolute power than a democratic ruler in the kind of democracy practiced in Nigeria. The power sharing nature of democracy will never make any Nigerian president with good intentions achieve anything substantial or implement strict policies when he has to contend with a massive majority of selfish corrupt politicans who will shoot down anything that threatens their grip on the nation's resources. Though we have had dictators in the past who misruled the country, I still believe if a responsible dictator comes in and takes charge Nigeria will be better off than her lawless democracy.

So if may ask, between someone like fashola for instance as a democratic president or fashola as a dictator which one will be better off for Nigeria?
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Sunofgod(m): 9:06pm On Oct 03, 2011
Its never wise to smoke crack and drink cheap homemade alcohol at the same time.

Op - Please go and sleep it off rather than display to all the side effects.

(What a ridiculous question to ask)
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Blackteeth(m): 9:10pm On Oct 03, 2011
Lol. Everyone's got opinion abeg. Ridiculous or not.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Sunofgod(m): 9:12pm On Oct 03, 2011
Blackteeth:

Lol. Everyone's got opinion abeg. Ridiculous or not.

Bros,

Your suggestion is too ridiculous.

You would have sounded more sane if you suggested 'Patience' runs for president in 2015 under ACN with Buhari as her running mate.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Blackteeth(m): 9:26pm On Oct 03, 2011
Sun of god, democracy isn't working in Nigeria. Thats my opinion. Simple.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Blackteeth(m): 9:27pm On Oct 03, 2011
Besides you didn't state the problem you had with it the post.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Blackteeth(m): 9:30pm On Oct 03, 2011
I used fashola as an example since most people exalt him as the action man. Am not implying he should be president.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Sunofgod(m): 9:33pm On Oct 03, 2011
You may want to be ruled by a dictator but a majority of Nigerians do not share the same view.

What tribe/religous sect would accept being ruled indefinetely by a dicatator who they dont consider one of their own?

Would the Hausa's accept your proposals?

Would an Igbo man even contemplate your proposals yet alone accept them?

I think not, (+ Fashola is a below average politician)

And if I remember well from my childhood - Action man (Fashola) was a toy who's actions were determined by his controller (Tinubu)
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Blackteeth(m): 9:42pm On Oct 03, 2011
Sun of god, I said I used fashola as an example. I didn't really mean he should be president. Secondly, if a dictator gets it right, why would Hausas, yorubas etc remember what tribe they belong? At least a dictator can set the needed foundation to run a proper democracy later on.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by MrGlobe(m): 10:14pm On Oct 03, 2011
smh at how much of a d.umb people we have in Nigeria. Some dust headed people will just post rubbish to proof an unproovable point rather than still to commenting their irrelevant comments on post. This is how y'all paint the country to the world. What's the essence of this post. Y'all can have it. MOD if you delete my post, devil punish you in advance
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by BigB11(m): 10:16pm On Oct 03, 2011
Just put in place tools that will help to enforce our laws and we will witness miracle in this country.
Do you know that a good percentage of Nigerians are very happy that Nigeria is a lawless country? Many of us are making big money in Nigeria today simply because nothing works correctly. Many wealthy Nigerians can not leave this country for more than 5 days because everything and anything goes in Nigeria.

Therefore, I think democracy or dictatorship regime will not work effectively in Nigeria if our laws are not enforced from the top to the bottom.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by danjohn: 10:23pm On Oct 03, 2011
Democracy for the sake of Democracy is the "demonstration of craziness". 

Democracy with voters who cant read and write +
Democracy with voters who are very susceptible to ethnic bigotry +
Democracy with voters susceptible to religious extremism =
NIGERIA

Obviously having a leader with absolute power and no form of checks and balances is not the solution.  Nonetheless, we should not outrightly dismiss societies that are less democratic.  A less democratic society works best when it is a technocracy.  When the best and the brightest minds in the country for a limited period of time make the key decision needed to get a country off the ground.  An advantage that less democratic societies have is that decisions are made very quickly and implementation does not get stuck in red tape.  Countries like South Korea, China, Qua tar, etc have developed rapidly because of this.  It also helps when certain checks are put in place to prevent the rise of a cult of personality and also to secure a succession process.  I will not support Fashola becoming a supreme leader who rules by decrees.  But if we have a technocracy similar to China where there is a standing committee (board of directors) made up of brilliant people who go out to search for a President (CEO); if there is a retirement age from the standing committee, hence, it is not a lifetime appointment.  If the President has term limits like China where a president can serve for two 5 yr terms among other things.  Then this can be considered.

Outside of a civil war that brings in a progressive crop of leaders, moments that lead to progressive governments do not present themselves very often.  They usually happen when there is a small window of opportunity.  Given how bloody a civil war will be, a progressive coup d'état may be a more realistic option.  This time it can be made up of an upright Ceremonial Military President (with towering integrity like Idiagbon) with a Civilian Prime Minister like Fashola who forms a government.  The Military can serve as an anti-corruption watchdog and certain rules can be put in place e.g. term limits, succession plan, etc.

Nonetheless, I doubt this can work in Nigeria.  We are too divided.  Before you know it people will say there are not enough Igbo people in the government, not enough Hausa people, not enough Christians or Muslims etc.  Then to meet these demands mediocre people will be added to the government.  The end result will be a country that moved from being controlled by many mediocre leaders to a country that is controlled by few mediocre leaders.  In addition, systems like this often lead to the existence of a dangerous personality cult and no succession plan in the event the president dies.  This is not good for posterity.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Sunofgod(m): 10:49pm On Oct 03, 2011
Up until this point I thought you were sane:

Outside of a civil war that brings in a progressive crop of leaders, moments that lead to progressive governments do not present themselves very often.  They usually happen when there is a small window of opportunity.  Given how bloody a civil war will be, a progressive coup d'état may be a more realistic option.  This time it can be made up of an upright Ceremonial Military President (with towering integrity like Idiagbon) with a Civilian Prime Minister like Fashola who forms a government.  The Military can serve as an anti-corruption watchdog and certain rules can be put in place e.g. term limits, succession plan, etc.

Please review the history of Nigeria - As the definition of insanity is doing things the same way but expecting different results.

All that s.hit you posted in the last paragraph has already been tried and failed . . .  . .
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by danjohn: 11:03pm On Oct 03, 2011
Sun of god:

Up until this point I thought you were sane:

Please review the history of Nigeria - As the definition of insanity is doing things the same way but expecting different results.

All that s.hit you posted in the last paragraph has already been tried and failed . . .  . .

Dude, we are discussing a hypothesis on how Oga Fashola can effectively become a progressive compassionate dictator.  That is the context of my argument.  Don't call my argument s.hit and don't imply that I am insane.  That hurts my feelings grin.

On a side note I think that I should have arranged the paragraphs differently.  What the last paragraph was saying was "if this was to ever happen, this is how it could happen".  The paragraph before it offered my opinion on why an arrangement like this will be hard to make successful.  I have changed the arrangement of the paragraphs to improve the flow of my argument.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Blackteeth(m): 11:05pm On Oct 03, 2011
@big big1. Ehm. . . You said something about putting in place tools to make our laws function effectively. The question is HOW CAN THAT BE DONE? Don't you think it would require a dictatorial input?
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by Sunofgod(m): 11:36pm On Oct 03, 2011
danjohn:

Dude, we are discussing a hypothesis on how Oga Fashola can effectively become a progressive compassionate dictator.  That is the context of my argument.  Don't call my argument s.hit and don't imply that I am insane.  That hurts my feelings grin.

On a side note I think that I should have arranged the paragraphs differently.  What the last paragraph was saying is "if this is to ever happen, this is how it could happen".  The paragraph before it offered my opinion on why an arrangement like this will be hard to make successful.  I have changed the arrangement of the paragraphs to improve the flow of my argument.

Name one living 'Compassionate dictator' in the mould Nigeria would want.

I'm intrigued to know the sort of character we Nigerians want to dictate us.

Thanks,
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by BigB11(m): 11:45pm On Oct 03, 2011
Blackteeth:
I think I know what you're thinking.
Buhari would have been the perfect Nigerian to deliver what is missing in this country.

Yes, there are many ways to enforce our laws without moving away from democracy. All it takes is a sincere leader to take control by taking the bull by the horns.

If demeji Bankole and Gbenga Daniel are found guilty, imagine locking them up for 25 years without parole. What do you think will happen to the rest? My friend, it doesn't take much, we just need real leaders who are sincere and bold enough to make tough and effective decisions.
If Mustapha could be locked up for almost 15 years, there should be nothing stopping Nigerian government from locking up corrupt leaders for 25 or 30 years without parole.

Buhari would have brought the change we deserve in this country. You can just forget it with this dude that is currently just living in Aso rock. Nothing great will happen for the next 4 yrs. Sorry guys.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by danjohn: 12:24am On Oct 04, 2011
Park Chung Hee is an example.  He brought development to his country with military precision and he had the resolve and the determination to fight corruption.  His time in Office was not perfect that is why I have added different caveats to my argument and yes I know he is not living.  But he is an example of a dictator who moved his country in the right direction.  Most people give him credit for building the infrastructural and economic foundation of South Korea.  When he became President, South Korea's per capita GDP was less than Ghana's.  Today South Korea has the 15th largest economy in the world and a very high standard of living.

Also Deng Xiaoping as paramount leader of the People's Republic of China from 1978 to 1992 also had the courage to put in place the reforms that have set his country on the path to become the next leading super power in the world.  His was a dictatorship with mild checks and balances.

You will be surprised that Nigerians don't mind being dictated as long as the person dictating is making peoples lives better.  I remember the days of Buba Marwa in Lagos.  He made cosmetic improvements in Lagos and improved security by creating Operation Sweep and before we knew it he became very popular.  People loved him even though they hated the military.

There are examples of societies who jump started themselves with technocracies.  Nonetheless, I still believe that democracy offers the best option for the smooth transition of power.  For a democracy to work effectively, we need an informed and educated electorate.  We currently have millions of voting age citizens who cannot read and write.  In addition, we have schools that are not educating our children; and up North, we have millions of children being educated under a system that is based primarily on memorizing a religious text.  This gives us citizens who are ignorant, sentimental, and short sighted.  This is reflected in the leaders that we elect as well as the state of our country.  These things need to be corrected before our democracy can thrive.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by koruji(m): 2:11am On Oct 04, 2011
Lazy heads.

It is all relative, and in relative terms this is the rule: [size=14pt]If a country does well under dictatorship, that country will always do better as a democracy. If a country does bad under a democracy it would be worse under a dictatorship[/size]. "Better" is defined by the totality of people's welfare - and in that respect absolutist/dictatorship regimes do not qualify.

Nigeria's 50 year history proves the second part of the above. [size=14pt]We have already tried dictatorship in Nigeria - it doesn't work, it will never work.[/size]

Please show me one person that has ruled Nigeria or contested to rule Nigeria that is the kind of phanton "beneficient dictactor" you guys are thinking up.

Besides, I have no idea why you - Blackteeth - are always associated with degrading ideas where the African is concerned. Any reasons for your condition?

Blackteeth:

Personally I must say that democracy is not working in Nigeria and will never work as long as the current lawlessness in the sphere of governance persists. In my opinion, I think it is easier for Nigeria to get transformed under a dictator who rules with absolute power than a democratic ruler in the kind of democracy practiced in Nigeria. The power sharing nature of democracy will never make any Nigerian president with good intentions achieve anything substantial or implement strict policies when he has to contend with a massive majority of selfish corrupt politicans who will shoot down anything that threatens their grip on the nation's resources. Though we have had dictators in the past who misruled the country, I still believe if a responsible dictator comes in and takes charge Nigeria will be better off than her lawless democracy.

So if may ask, between someone like fashola for instance as a democratic president or fashola as a dictator which one will be better off for Nigeria?

danjohn:

Park Chung Hee is an example.  He brought development to his country with military precision and he had the resolve and the determination to fight corruption.  His time in Office was not perfect that is why I have added different caveats to my argument and yes I know he is not living.  But he is an example of a dictator who moved his country in the right direction.  Most people give him credit for building the infrastructural and economic foundation of South Korea.  When he became President, South Korea's per capita GDP was less than Ghana's.  Today South Korea has the 15th largest economy in the world and a very high standard of living.

Also Deng Xiaoping as paramount leader of the People's Republic of China from 1978 to 1992 also had the courage to put in place the reforms that have set his country on the path to become the next leading super power in the world.  His was a dictatorship with mild checks and balances.

You will be surprised that Nigerians don't mind being dictated as long as the person dictating is making peoples lives better.  I remember the days of Buba Marwa in Lagos.  He made cosmetic improvements in Lagos and improved security by creating Operation Sweep and before we knew it he became very popular.  People loved him even though they hated the military.

There are examples of societies who jump started themselves with technocracies.  Nonetheless, I still believe that democracy offers the best option for the smooth transition of power.  For a democracy to work effectively, we need an informed and educated electorate.  We currently have millions of voting age citizens who cannot read and write.  In addition, we have schools that are not educating our children; and up North, we have millions of children being educated under a system that is based primarily on memorizing a religious text.  This gives us citizens who are ignorant, sentimental, and short sighted.  This is reflected in the leaders that we elect as well as the state of our country.  These things need to be corrected before our democracy can thrive.
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by igbo2011(m): 2:40am On Oct 04, 2011
Yes Nigeria is very divided. But I am igbo and if we had a Hausa or Yoruba who raised 50 million people out of poverty, low child mortality, long life expectancy, 99% literacy, nice roads, 24 7 power supply, great welfare of people, many jobs for people,many factories and ways to get forex, etc. I would not care what tribe he/she is in. As long as people are living better and corruption is gone. If a dictator can make Nigerian happy that they are in Nigeria and proud a proud Nigeria, if he can make people list a bunch of positive aspects about Nigeria instead of negative ones (like a see here in NL all the time) then it doesn't matter. Why do Hausas care so much about who the president is. I rather has a great Hausa then a lousy Igbo president.

But if a democracy then we need to lessen the politicians. Too many useless people taking money with 1000 advisers.

I am more of an economist than a politician, but during dictatorship rule, are there governors and LGA chairpeople?
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by WebSurfer(m): 5:01am On Oct 04, 2011
subscribing, cool cool
Re: Fashola As Dictator Or Fashola As Democratic President? by sp2002(m): 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2011
i have a suggestion that goes thus: vote for FASHOLA AND OSHIOMOLE for presidency come 2015 under any party.

(1) (Reply)

Death Of Nigerian Graduates Due To Economic Instability / The Only Way To Sanitize Nigeria's Political Terrain! / Bishop Oyedepo And Goodluck Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.