Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,982 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja (4545 Views)

Helpless Accident Victim At National Hospital Abuja / Unknown Patient At National Hospital, Abuja...( See His Photo) / Unknown Patient In National Hospital, Abuja (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 04, 2011
Emergency Response Fresh Air Style : National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20111004222189

National Hospital rejects accident victims in anticipation of bomb blast victims

A female auto crash victim in Abuja died on Saturday following National Hospital’s refusal to admit her at the Accident and Emergency Unit.

PUNCH METRO gathered that there was an “order from above” that patients should not be admitted to the hospital in anticipation that there might be a bomb blast victims as a result of the threat by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta to carry out bombings in Abuja during the 51st independence anniversary on Saturday.

Apart from MEND, which carried out bombings in Abuja when Nigeria marked its golden jubilee anniversary last year at the Eagles Square, Abuja, Boko Haram, the fundamentalist Islamic sect, also vowed to carry out more bombings.

It was learnt that the unidentified accident victim was taken to the hospital at about 8pm by a medical practitioner, Dr. Abiye Kalaiwo, a member of TREM Vision House medical team.

Kalaiwo, who was enraged by the conduct of the medical personnel at the hospital, refused to leave until the victim was attended to. But she died in front of the hospital.

While the tragic drama lasted, another accident victim was brought to the hospital, but was also refused admission.

Kalaiwo has vowed to take up the matter with relevant agencies such as the Ministry of Health and the Nigerian Medical Association.

He said if the hospital had attended to the lady, she would have survived.

Kalaiwo said, “We were in church and there was a road accident right beside the church about 7:05 pm. When I got there, I checked an elderly woman who was lying flat on the floor; she was gasping for breath.

“When I checked her pulse, it was still there. When I came to the office I tried to lay hand on my infusion and tried to do a couple of things to keep her circulatory system completely in order.

“When I got back, a colleague of mine had started doing cardio-pulmonary resuscitation. Since we didn’t have oxygen, we decided to take her to a hospital, which has oxygen. When we got to the Accident and Emergency Unit of the National Hospital, it was like a ghost town.

“I walked in, saw some nurses and introduced myself. But they told me that the Accident and Emergency Unit had been shut down and that they had been told not to admit any patient, unless they were bomb blast victims.

“They told me that they were sorry that the order came from above. I was worried as to who could have given that kind of order.

“They just didn’t answer us. As all these were going on, I started losing my patience and made a lot of noise. Finally, people started trooping out. But a doctor who examined the patient came out and confirmed that the patient had died. But funny enough, she was classified as brought in dead.”

Kalaiwo added that medical ethics demand that whenever a patient is brought to the emergency unit of any hospital, such patient must be given urgent medical attention.

He argued that even if the woman’s heart stopped, cardio-pulmonary resuscitation could bring her back to life.

Kalaiwo explained, “None of that was done. So, we were there and since the woman was dead, they said we should open a folder, after 35 minutes when we got there. I have knowledge of basic and advanced life support. I said if we could take the woman to where she could get good emergency medical treatment she was going to make it.

“During the argument, another taxi driver brought another victim of auto crash from another accident scene. Yet, it was the same story: the nurses still rejected him.

“In emergencies, the first two minutes are critical. The brain could die in the absence of oxygen. Once it is beyond five minutes and someone does not have blood circulating with oxygen, that is when harm is done.”

On the second victim, he said, “I didn’t examine him but based on what I saw, I don’t think that man made it because I took a picture of him and as at the time I took the picture, there was no sign of life in him. There was no chest movement and he was just lying there.

At a point, Kalaiwo said police were called in to lock the gate. “It was a very messy scenario. When the security men came, it was a very clear case. I told one of the policemen that ‘as you are carrying gun here and serving this nation if something happens to you, God forbids, and they bring you here, the way this man is lying lifeless outside the emergency, it is the same thing that will happen to you.’

“Honestly, if I find any human rights lawyer, who is willing to pursue this case, I am willing to cooperate with the person to the end.

“We need to begin to expose certain things so that Nigeria will be a better place. We need to go to any length in pursuing this matter.”

When our correspondent called the spokesman of the hospital, Mr. Tayo Haastrup, on the telephone, he neither picked his calls nor responded to a text message sent to him.

disaster response by the gej administration . this is how they demonstrate to the world that they are on top of the situation - a bizarre and psychotic application of triage in which bomb blast victims are high profile patients who will boost the DOA credentials of the FG and everyone else can literally go and die  sad sad
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by wesley80(m): 10:48am On Oct 04, 2011
If you were not too much of a mischief maker you'd know to blame the managers of the hospital and not Jonathan. This is akin to you blaming your father for your being such a terrible Moderator? Your Papa neva try?
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Nobody: 10:53am On Oct 04, 2011
only a gej supporter would resort to the above. should we be surprised. dumb leader, dumber followers  cheesy cheesy cheesy

abi e dey pain you - internet riffraff forever destined to be nothing more than a pesky troll, hanging on the nuts of those of us who been there done that cheesy
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Beaf: 11:14am On Oct 04, 2011
wesley80: If you were not too much of a mischief maker you'd know to blame the managers of the hospital and not Jonathan. This is akin to you blaming your father for your being such a terrible Moderator? Your Papa neva try?

grin

The man looked for something to hang his sorrows on and decided to blame GEJ for something that happened in the hospital.
These days, if Tina with the round bottom gives her all to oyb and he fails to "rise to the occasion," he would blame GEJ. Dis World sef!
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by wesley80(m): 11:36am On Oct 04, 2011
oyb:

hanging on the nuts of those of us who been there done that cheesy

Buhahahaha! You got me there, funny as hell. And may I ask; been where? Done what? Oloshi millionaire by association who's only hope is to hang out long enough with the successful and hope 'something - anything' rubs off! It's folks like you that spend their lifetime studying Alchemy and lie in the grave wondering why it never worked! Keep heaping useless metals hoping for a breakthrough. Olodo squared!
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 04, 2011
stop derailing thread and address the callousness and disregard for the average citizen of your masters in abuja

abi u think it cannot be you tomorrow?

bunch of animals.

i thought you would even try some sort of damage control - but no team gej can only abuse the messenger

lamebrain nitwits sad
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 04, 2011
bump
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by netotse(m): 5:35pm On Oct 04, 2011
Beaf:

grin

The man looked for something to hang his sorrows on and decided to blame GEJ for something that happened in the hospital.
These days, if Tina with the round bottom gives her all to oyb and he fails to "rise to the occasion," he would blame GEJ. Dis World sef!

@beaf
If we had a government that values human life and is actively showing this, there's no way a national hospital will try something this absurd. The fact that the national hospital management or whoever took the decision could take such a silly decision can be traced to the fact that we have a government that is know to show by their actions(or lack thereof) that they dont value human life.

If our president can fail to step up to the mark when disaster strikes, that same lackadaisical attitude will cascade down.
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Beaf: 5:45pm On Oct 04, 2011
^
Sorry, the wickedness in the health sector has been a culture for decades. It has nothing to do with this govt, except you want to join oyb in cuckoo land.
While such wickedness is not to be encouraged, you don't expect cultures and deep rot that are decades old all over the country can be swept away with a wish, do you?

. . .It rained today, my shoes got wet. . . I blame GEJ! grin
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by seanet02: 5:54pm On Oct 04, 2011
oyb:

stop derailing thread and address the callousness and disregard for the average citizen of your masters in abuja

abi u think it cannot be you tomorrow?

bunch of animals.

i thought you would even try some sort of damage control - but no team gej can only abuse the messenger

lamebrain nitwits sad
U dey wait for beaf to stop the azz licking of Gej?
That no go happen
his three square meals depends on Gej
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by netotse(m): 5:55pm On Oct 04, 2011
Beaf:

^
Sorry, the wickedness in the health sector has been a culture for decades. It has nothing to do with this govt, except you want to join oyb in cuckoo land.
While such wickedness is not to be encouraged, you don't expect cultures and deep rot that are decades old all over the country can be swept away with a wish, do you?

. . .It rained today, my shoes got wet. . . I blame GEJ! grin

that's true. . .but this is the NATIONAL hospital we're talking about, you dig? if it was just any hospital your excuse would hold, when kelis had an issue with UK immigration the mayor of london intervened(dude wrote a letter).

A govt hospital messed up and GEJ is the face of govt. If it was a teaching hospital or federal medical centre it would be different(then we can abuse the minister of health) but the friggin' NATIONAL HOSPITAL, do you have any idea what that means??
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by werepeLeri: 6:24pm On Oct 04, 2011
rubbish, ras, stupid, feeble, meaningless and foolish
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by blank(f): 12:02pm On Oct 05, 2011
It is GEJ's fault because he gave the instruction not to allow anyone in. How can you be waiting for bomb blast victims? Was he hoping that people will die because of him?
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by wesley80(m): 12:05pm On Oct 05, 2011
blank:

It is GEJ's fault because he gave the instruction not to allow anyone in. How can you be waiting for bomb blast victims? Was he hoping that people will die because of him?

Where you there when he gave the instruction to your Fada?
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Progreen: 12:09pm On Oct 05, 2011
Poor Naija
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by blank(f): 12:20pm On Oct 05, 2011
wesley80:

Where you there when he gave the instruction to your Fada?

My father does not work in National Hospital so you are wrong. But it seems you were there that is why u know he did not give the order. Abi, no be GEJ be orders from above? God forbid! His bad wishes will not happen. Instead of looking for solution to bomb blast, he is ordering hospital to make space for potential victims.
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by werepeLeri: 12:20pm On Oct 05, 2011
Politics apart. How can anyone with a sound mind believe the story? That the President will issue instructions to a national hospital not to admit patients in preference of bomb blast patients?

How crude can we go in maligning someone?

Maybe he also gave instructions that they should evacuate the existing patients for new ones? How daft people can be?
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by wesley80(m): 12:33pm On Oct 05, 2011
blank:

My father does not work in National Hospital so you are wrong.

Oh really? So how did you arrive at the conclusion below?

blank:

It is GEJ's fault because he gave the instruction not to allow anyone in.

I thot your Fada was the one that answered Yesssssir when he dished out the instruction? Ok I get it now; It was your Boyfriend, Right?
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by blank(f): 12:47pm On Oct 05, 2011
@ Wesley80, you're really funny. Lol at answered Yessir.
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Kobojunkie: 12:49pm On Oct 05, 2011
WOW . . .  . so now if my papa no work there, I no fit conclude say federal Hospital ought to be responsibility of federal government  . . . . WOOHOO!!! Wetin next? Because say 30 years ago, National Hospital no dey work, mean say, even though we don hire new management to run things better, we no fit hold new management responsible at all.

Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by wesley08(m): 1:05pm On Oct 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

WOW . . .  . so now if my papa no work there, I no fit conclude say federal Hospital ought to be responsibility of federal government  . . . . WOOHOO!!! Wetin next? Because say 30 years ago, National Hospital no dey work, mean say, even though we don hire new management to run things better, we no fit hold new management responsible at all.

Your kolo done start?

blank:

@ Wesley80, you're really funny. Lol at answered Yessir.

Now that's the spirit, you're "Lolling" about it and I'm getting Banned for it. Whatever happened to our Mod's sense of humour? Like I cant guess who's behind this. In any case my reference wasnt borne out of any mischief but I guess it doesnt matter anymore does it? I'm Outta here!

Sorry wesley80, you've lost your forum posting privileges.

Reason: refering to a poster's parent > 120 hours
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by koolman: 1:15pm On Oct 05, 2011
Its quite unfortunate.
GEJ should be blamed for all these woes. I regret voting for him.
Nothing is working in this country.Our so called big men are always treated outside the country when they become sick.
Nelson Mandela has never been treated outside south Africa. We should be ashamed of Nigeria.
Ojukwu has been oversees for treatment since last year,Gani died abroad,Stella Obasanjo died abroad,umaru musa y,adua died overseas though the cabal covered it,Augustus Aikhomu too.I am sorry for Nigeria.
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by werepeLeri: 1:28pm On Oct 05, 2011
and all the above deaths should be blamed on GEJ? LOL.
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by baslone: 1:37pm On Oct 05, 2011
I'm sure a "National Coat of Arms" podium would have been placed at the hospital and

a pre-written "we are on top of the situation" speech placed on it in anticipation of awaiting bomb victims.

Heartless Cowards!!! sad
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Gbenge77(m): 1:42pm On Oct 05, 2011
Gej is 'working'.
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by ignis: 2:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
A black man will forever remain a black man, Black man's mentality is disgusting and annoying.
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by rekeson: 2:41pm On Oct 05, 2011
If any daft person in here wants to play d blame game, den ur opponent should be The Hospital Mgt and The Minister of Health not Gej.
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Amjustme: 9:01pm On Oct 05, 2011
Please dont bring GEJ into dis biko, if uv ever been to National Hospital, you will understand better, I HATE THAT HOSPITAL, i tell you, i dont know why people even go there, they have the most horrible staff you can ever imagine, and these staff had been there from Obasanjo to Yar'Adua, so where does GEJ come in now?
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by wesley80(m): 4:18am On Oct 06, 2011
So I'm back after a successful appeal. Sincere apologies to Blank if i sounded sort of crass. Nuff said, lets go there.
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by Dainy1(m): 2:53pm On Oct 07, 2011
It's so pathetic d woman just died like dat. medical personels ought to care 4 lives, bt some don't. just let it go.
Re: National Hospital Rejects Accident Victims In Abuja by usgee: 1:51pm On Oct 09, 2011
I thought we as good nigerian hoping for the best in this country were to use this medium to at least tinker or really brain storm on how we can get out of these rots. Instead we are mudsligging and putting up defense for ineptitude and (or) incompetence. Saying it is alright for one to wear the garb of the revered medical profession and will be guilty of having total disregard for human life. If you ever watch someone died in your presence just because a "professional" who should do all he can to safe the situation refuses for reasons of policy or order, you will view this appalling action differently, whether the victim is your close person or a stranger.
Nigerians, lets reason. What is bad is bad.

(1) (Reply)

Can Late Marriage/pregnancy Cause Fibroid In Women? / Searching For Housemanship/house Job / "Strengthen Nigeria's Midwifery Services To Deliver Family Planning" - Toyin Sar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.