Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,590 members, 7,837,221 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? (334 Views)

“You Represent The True Nigerian Spirit”, Peter Obi To Hilda Baci. / Goodluck Jonathan Visits Umar Muttaka In The Hospital, Commend His Bravery / Tinubu’s Misdirected Anger And Obasanjo’s Bravery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by TokunboCarsOnly: 4:19am On Jun 29, 2023
I have been in very deep thought about the people called Nigerians. I have taken time to study them, observe and listen to their conversation about happenings around them and I wonder the deity that made these set of people. I marvel at their adaptation to abnormally, I wonder their spirit of tolerance and ability to move on fast in the presence of political and economic provocations that should elicit wide spread protest and forcing reversal of inhuman government policies and I ask, the Nigerian spirit, bravery or Cowardice?

Right from time, Nigerians have demonstrated high level of acceptance of whatever their government throws at them. Their political leaders live in affluence with their families and cronies at the expense of the poor masses yet nobody cares. In the face of all, the little fraction who try to build opinion around the evil machinations of government are castigated, called names, abused and sometimes threatened or seen as anti government. Most dangerously today, anyone who dares question the activities of government is tagged in a certain ethnic or religious colouration.

Of course, many do no think that the greatest undoing of an average Nigerian is tribalism and religion. These are the reasons Nigerians are who they are. These are the reasons Nigerians don't achieve much with the instrumentality of government. Tribalism and religion are why Nigeria and Nigerians are where they are. Because the man in power is from my region or same faith with me, then he can do whatever he likes I don't care and I can even kill anyone who talks ill about him. That is the spirit of an average Nigerian. Again I ask, is this bravery or cawordice?

Today, patrol price has gone up, prices of foodstuff is on the rice, car owners will start paying annual fee for their cars, subsidy has been removed without adequate measures in place to cushion the effect, proposed salaries increase for public servants underway at the expense of the poor masses, electricity tariff about to skyrocket by 40%, insecurity is daring, no sector of the economy is vibrant and delivering at maximum best yet not a single protest whatsoever, again I ask, bravery or cawordice?

Why do we tolerate so much as Nigerians? The manner in which we adjust to and move on with life like nothing happened can't be condoned in Ghana or South Africa. Why are we too docile and quiet about our collective sufferings imposed on us by selected few? Why do we easily blend and move on with these unacceptable policies of government? Introduce a terrible policy today, watch Nigerians make pocket noise about it on socal media and in their homes for a day and by the next day it is business as usual. Even a few who try to speak up are villified and demonized forcing them to keep shut, and the cycle continues.

Again I ask, this Nigerian nature, bravery or cowardice?

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by nedu666: 4:37am On Jun 29, 2023
Cowardise bro. Brave men no dey suffer. Rather he will do the unthinkable to survive. But coward na apostles of God dey, it's well, we shall survive.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by OlujobaSamuel: 4:42am On Jun 29, 2023
Addressing Nigerians in the 3rd party as though you are not one.
I've seen and read of a single man protest in the past in this same Nigeria during the time of the most brutal dictator a state could ever have, also read of same about some of the nation's you are making reference to. Can you kindly avail us with such records of you engaging in similar 1man public protest?
Btw, you might need to start from your spellings.
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by Oxb90: 4:42am On Jun 29, 2023
You have answered your question (s) already.

But if you are still in doubt, we are where we are because an average Nigerian
Politicians makes use of the 'populace' magic wand.
Religion and Tribalism are their tools.

Unfortunately, the military which would have come to the aid of the people has all been bought over.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by SmartPolician: 5:45am On Jun 29, 2023
The problem is simply lack of unity! Someone said united we stand, but divided we fall. That's a very powerful statement.

A country where unity doesn't exist is finished because everything is perceived from a tribal perspective. APC, I must add, is very good at divide and rule.

The implication is that self-serving politicians will do a lot of things and get away with it. That's the state Nigeria is currently in.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by XY23: 6:14am On Jun 29, 2023
It's a question of mind over matter; and it matters because this level of mind-control requires blood sacrifice. Many people think their 'will' (e.g defending the oppressors) is their own. The more the suffering and lives lost, the more invincible the evil politicians become. Our own GREED as citizens, makes this mind-control very potent.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by Johnjustice: 6:17am On Jun 29, 2023
The alternative to resolving issues via the courts and democratic apparatus is violence, chaos and anarchy, is that what you want?

At that point we won't only have bad governance, but have to deal with destruction of properties and violence.
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by JASONjnr(m): 6:17am On Jun 29, 2023
Lol....

Aside unity, Nigerians will easily betray you and take over your space.

The government understand that if they make good policies, the people will likely fight for a better governance and will still be entitle to good life.

Sooner or later, protesting in Nigeria will be marked as a treason.

Na still our fellow Nigerians been collect money from thieving politicians to saboteur the 2020 nationwide protest.

This country isn't ready to get things done, until everyone feel the heat.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by helinues: 6:18am On Jun 29, 2023
Na so una wail for the 8 years of former president Buhari government, seh una wan turn to panla fish for the next 4 years ni.

This wailing don dey turn to generational things oo

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by Validated: 6:23am On Jun 29, 2023
helinues:
Na so una wail for the 8 years of former president Buhari government, seh una wan turn to panla fish for the next 4 years ni.

This wailing don dey turn to generational things oo

Hailers of their oppressors are like broom. They use broom and tuck it in the corners.

I thought you would be in Tinubu's convoy, but still saw you on NL. You are different than the wailers,,, are you?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by helinues: 6:26am On Jun 29, 2023
Validated:

Hailers of their oppressors are like broom. They use broom and tuck it in the corners.

I thought you would be in Tinubu's convoy, but still saw you on NL. You are different than the wailers,,, are you?

Sorry, being a patriot does not require being paid. I was a patriot during GEJ's term even though I didn't support his reelection.

Opposition don't exist in our dictionary cos we don't live a bitter life like some people.

If you are not been paid for supporting European football clubs, how then can some shallow minded people bw thinking you are supporting a politician because of your stomach

Eish, hiss

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by udeh3(m): 6:29am On Jun 29, 2023
Those that have carried weapons to terrorise the govt in the past are now in govt or close to the govt or working for the govt.

For those who can speak up did in the past and they looked like fools and even mocked by same people they spoke for...

The level of economic ignorance or illiteracy in this country is alarming. The lack of education
in Nigeria and majorly in the north is a major draw back. This is a calculated game by the elite to put us to check

We'll keep pushing, talking and writing just as you've done. Channel your protest to writing. Go to your SM space, provoke the thought of an average Nigerian who can read or reason with your writings. If you're a singer, provoke the thoughts of Nigerians via singing and rhymes and if you're a poet like Uncle Dike, write poems, voice them for Nigerians and the world in general to hear.

For the now, I'll advice we shun the street... The leaders will have now have no sympathy for souls anymore, so, wasting a life is like nothing to them. They almost denied the ENDSARS shooting. This is just of recent and a testament that Nigerians aren't cowardice, but there's need to sit down, challenge our protest channels and come out with a 21st well thought out plans moving forward

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by ManWater: 6:31am On Jun 29, 2023
None of the above.
Answer is Tribalism. We are too divided along tribes to unite to fight oppression. Except for football & sports, you hardly find Nigerians speaking with one voice.
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by limeta(f): 6:33am On Jun 29, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:
I've seen and read of a single man protest in the past in this same Nigeria during the time of the most brutal dictator a state could ever have, also read of same about some of the nation's you are making reference to. Can you kindly avail us with such records of you engaging in similar 1man public protest?

Here you are aah
I saw this and remember you

In the face of all, the little fraction who try to build opinion around the evil machinations of government are castigated, called names, abused and sometimes threatened or seen as anti government. Most dangerously today, anyone who dares question the activities of government is tagged in a certain ethnic or religious colouration.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:15am On Jun 29, 2023
limeta:

Here you are aah
I saw this and remember you

In the face of all, the little fraction who try to build opinion around the evil machinations of government are castigated, called names, abused and sometimes threatened or seen as anti government. Most dangerously today, anyone who dares question the activities of government is tagged in a certain ethnic or religious colouration.

I don't get. Pls explain.
I, nor the op have ever accused the other of such, do you mean between you and myself? I have not done that and won't do it to anyone. It doesn't make sense to me doing such to anyone
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by limeta(f): 8:00am On Jun 29, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

I don't get. Pls explain.
I, nor the op have ever accused the other of such, do you mean between you and myself? I have not done that and won't do it to anyone. It doesn't make sense to me doing such to anyone

One more try
Would you agree you left the message and went for the messager ?
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by Pwettylinda(f): 8:02am On Jun 29, 2023
Nigerians are Severely fear stricken cowards

Biggest cowardice country in the world

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by marvrick: 8:12am On Jun 29, 2023
TokunboCarsOnly:
I have been in very deep thought about the people called Nigerians. I have taken time to study them, observe and listen to their conversation about happenings around them and I wonder the deity that made these set of people. I marvel at their adaptation to abnormally, I wonder their spirit of tolerance and ability to move on fast in the presence of political and economic provocations that should elicit wide spread protest and forcing reversal of inhuman government policies and I ask, the Nigerian spirit, bravery or Cowardice?

Right from time, Nigerians have demonstrated high level of acceptance of whatever their government throws at them. Their political leaders live in affluence with their families and cronies at the expense of the poor masses yet nobody cares. In the face of all, the little fraction who try to build opinion around the evil machinations of government are castigated, called names, abused and sometimes threatened or seen as anti government. Most dangerously today, anyone who dares question the activities of government is tagged in a certain ethnic or religious colouration.

Of course, many do no think that the greatest undoing of an average Nigerian is tribalism and religion. These are the reasons Nigerians are who they are. These are the reasons Nigerians don't achieve much with the instrumentality of government. Tribalism and religion are why Nigeria and Nigerians are where they are. Because the man in power is from my region or same faith with me, then he can do whatever he likes I don't care and I can even kill anyone who talks ill about him. That is the spirit of an average Nigerian. Again I ask, is this bravery or cawordice?

Today, patrol price has gone up, prices of foodstuff is on the rice, car owners will start paying annual fee for their cars, subsidy has been removed without adequate measures in place to cushion the effect, proposed salaries increase for public servants underway at the expense of the poor masses, electricity tariff about to skyrocket by 40%, insecurity is daring, no sector of the economy is vibrant and delivering at maximum best yet not a single protest whatsoever, again I ask, bravery or cawordice?

Why do we tolerate so much as Nigerians? The manner in which we adjust to and move on with life like nothing happened can't be condoned in Ghana or South Africa. Why are we too docile and quiet about our collective sufferings imposed on us by selected few? Why do we easily blend and move on with these unacceptable policies of government? Introduce a terrible policy today, watch Nigerians make pocket noise about it on socal media and in their homes for a day and by the next day it is business as usual. Even a few who try to speak up are villified and demonized forcing them to keep shut, and the cycle continues.

Again I ask, this Nigerian nature, bravery or cowardice?

It is neither. Every grown up Nigerian knows that Nigeria will never work. We are always looking out for number one which is me. We are all busy both the government officials and the common man, seeking and securing our interests until the unweldly behemoth of a country disintegrates on its own, a fate both Britain and France know will be the cummulation of their joint colonization of nigeria.
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by OlujobaSamuel: 8:30am On Jun 29, 2023
limeta:

One more try
Would you agree you left the message and went for the messager ?
The post centres around individual like you and I.
Such messages can't be dissociated from the speaker, except we want to use the doctrine of Do as I say, not Do as I do.
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by OlujobaSamuel: 8:32am On Jun 29, 2023
marvrick:

It is neither. Every grown up Nigerian knows that Nigeria will never work. We are always looking out for number one which is me. We are all busy both the government officials and the common man, seeking and securing our interests until the unweldly behemoth of a country disintegrates on its own, a fate both Britain and France know will be the cummulation of their joint colonization of nigeria.
Aptly put. You get the Nigeria situation.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by xristos(m): 8:32am On Jun 29, 2023
NIgeria's problem is simply ethnic/tribal DIVERSITY especially as blacks = TRUTH

Two can never walk a distance except they AGREE.

at best, they can only walk a metre then fight again...then start from beginning..
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by Reality3080: 8:38am On Jun 29, 2023
Oxb90:
You have answered your question (s) already.

But if you are still in doubt, we are where we are because an average Nigerian
Politicians makes use of the 'populace' magic wand.
Religion and Tribalism are their tools.

Unfortunately, the military which would have come to the aid of the people has all been bought over.
did u witness d military regime?

Many of u are kids who didn’t know about that time but since u don’t like d president u talk about military regime that u don’t know anything about

Shebi u get time to dey insult governor n president for twitter n e dey sweet u n u can even do anyhow anytime

If u witness military regime u won’t say this rubbish, ordinary twitter ban many of u were shouting

Military regime will do far worse n there’s nothing u can do about it, buhari just gave u d least a military man can do

So for your mind u think a military general will talk n u an ordinary civilian will believe u have a contrary opinion

If soldiers can b brutalizing people in democracy n nothing happen picture what will happen in military regime

Read about dele giwa
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by Reality3080: 8:45am On Jun 29, 2023
SmartPolician:
The problem is simply lack of unity! Someone said united we stand, but divided we fall. That's a very powerful statement.

A country where unity doesn't exist is finished because everything is perceived from a tribal perspective. APC, I must add, is very good at divide and rule.

The implication is that self-serving politicians will do a lot of things and get away with it. That's the state Nigeria is currently in.

apc is good at divide n rule but labor party n igbos that keep shouting Yoruba Muslim n Christian are angels abi?
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by limeta(f): 8:46am On Jun 29, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

The post centres around individual like you and I.
Such messages can't be dissociated from the speaker, except we want to use the doctrine of Do as I say, not Do as I do.

Unrepentant
I know your type
Goodbye and goodluck
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by Reality3080: 8:49am On Jun 29, 2023
JASONjnr:
Lol....

Aside unity, Nigerians will easily betray you and take over your space.

The government understand that if they make good policies, the people will likely fight for a better governance and will still be entitle to good life.

Sooner or later, protesting in Nigeria will be marked as a treason.

Na still our fellow Nigerians been collect money from thieving politicians to saboteur the 2020 nationwide protest.

This country isn't ready to get things done, until everyone feel the heat.
what marred d 2020 nationwide protest were many

It was endsars before nnamdi kanu started saying they must destroy lagos n kill tinubu, d videos are online

It was endsars before pdp hijacked it n changed it to end Nigeria n end buhari

It was endsars before your so call activists started collecting money from politicians to scatter everywhere

Government raised an issue about how activists got huge money into their accounts from opposition politicians n till today none of them could say anything

Endsars was a good fight till they sabotage it
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by tsdarkside(m): 8:53am On Jun 29, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

dont mind the olodo....
lets bet if he is igbo....
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by marlow1962(m): 8:59am On Jun 29, 2023
Cowardice.
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by OlujobaSamuel: 9:49am On Jun 29, 2023
Reality3080:
did u witness d military regime?

Many of u are kids who didn’t know about that time but since u don’t like d president u talk about military regime that u don’t know anything about

Shebi u get time to dey insult governor n president for twitter n e dey sweet u n u can even do anyhow anytime

If u witness military regime u won’t say this rubbish, ordinary twitter ban many of u were shouting

Military regime will do far worse n there’s nothing u can do about it, buhari just gave u d least a military man can do

So for your mind u think a military general will talk n u an ordinary civilian will believe u have a contrary opinion

If soldiers can b brutalizing people in democracy n nothing happen picture what will happen in military regime

Read about dele giwa
My dad and mum with a baby trekked from OPIC Kara to Idimu during June 12 crisis, some wey never witness crisis don't know how good God is to them.
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by Reality3080: 9:55am On Jun 29, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

My dad and mum with a baby trekked from OPIC Kara to Idimu during June 12 crisis, some wey never witness crisis don't know how good God is to them.
don’t mind all these small children

We no dey see kerosene but that time my dad n my brother will trek to one far saw mill to buy saw dust

I could remember they even threw teargas into our compound that time b so many shits, na gunshot almost everytime with no peace of mind

But all these indomie generation children believe military is d best, buhari ban twitter they were crying n same people want military not knowing military will do worse n nobody can query them
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by OlujobaSamuel: 10:09am On Jun 29, 2023
Reality3080:
don’t mind all these small children

We no dey see kerosene but that time my dad n my brother will trek to one far saw mill to buy saw dust

I could remember they even threw teargas into our compound that time b so many shits, na gunshot almost everytime with no peace of mind

But all these indomie generation children believe military is d best, buhari ban twitter they were crying n same people want military not knowing military will do worse n nobody can query them
Hopefully, most of them won't learn the hard way
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by TokunboCarsOnly: 10:20am On Jun 29, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

And what if I tell you am not a Nigerian but a foreigner living in Nigeria?
Re: The Nigerian Spirit, Bravery Or Cawordice? by OlujobaSamuel: 10:28am On Jun 29, 2023
TokunboCarsOnly:

And what if I tell you am not a Nigerian but a foreigner living in Nigeria?
And is that the case?

(1) (Reply)

Guber Poll: Bayelsa APC In Disarray Over Maciver / No Court Set Kanu Free / Fabricated Ministerial List;- Group Lambast Dele Alake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.