Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,142 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) (1437 Views)

Fuel Subsidy Removal: Cost Of Living, Petrol Rates In Oil Producing Countries / List Of 5 Worst Governors In Nigeria (Opinion) / The Cjn’s Removal: The Lamps Are Going Out All Over Nigeria- Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Hardtotrust: 10:37am On Jul 01, 2023
Stealing, armed robbery, kidnapping etc likely to increase.

Any period of extreme economic hardship is likely to rebound with criminal consequences.

It's a simple economic principle. When it's too difficult for people to survive, taking up any of the aforementioned is inevitable.

Dears, except you are not living in the country or you live above the average in terms of earnings, you would understand that this period is a very tough one for Nigerians. You see people complaining bitterly. In the school environment, the staff, the students, the business people everybody complaining bitterly. When you enter the street, you see the worse. Hawkers, market men and women, taxi drivers and all complaining and murmuring bitterly.

In my neighbourhood, 3 car batteries have been stolen from people who parked their car outside the last one week. A week before last, a man parked his Lexus to see someone and before he returned in less than 20 minutes, the battery had gone. He shouted and ran around to no avail. It was even in broad daylight.

Yesterday, another man parked his car and entered a compound to see someone. Low and behold, before he came out, the car magically developed wings and flew away. It was like a movie scene but in reality. Till now, I dont know if the car has been recovered. The man almost went mad because of his Toyota Corolla.

This is to state that the decision of government has direct impact on the people. Therefore, don't rule like you are ruling trees in the forest whereby your decision has little or no effect on them. Whatever is the intention for removing subsidy, such decision is not something you take so carelessly. No palliatives and nothong to cushion the effects.

At least, if goverment had bought buses to states across the country to carry people at a reduced cost this period, that to some extent would have reduced the transportation effect but nothing of such. I may be wrong though, so please do you have any of such in your state/city?

Monetary gift. We learnt the governmemt was planning to give poor Nigerians certain amount of money to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal. Who has received here or knows someone who received? To the best of my knowledge, nothing of such. You just used your inaugural speech to declare "subsidy is gone" without assessing the impact of that declaration on the people.

This harsh economic situation would certainly increase crime. We had thought after all we went through under Buhari, a new goverment would give us some reliefs but here we are into more trouble.

Whoever is close to those in power should inform them that Nigerians are really suffering and the hardship will push them into crime including revolting.

To end it, I would say, help someone anytime you can. People really need any help they can get this period. The consequences on fuel increment from N189 to N550 is heavy on Nigerians, especially struggling Nigerians which incidentally I am one of them. God knows i really need help.

I rest my case.

5 Likes

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Hardtotrust: 10:37am On Jul 01, 2023
Difficult times indeed.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Guyman01: 10:38am On Jul 01, 2023
Whether crime rate increase or not this administration will favour me and my family

12 Likes

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Onyiiobi7735(m): 10:42am On Jul 01, 2023
The more reason people should watch their properties like a hawk, because criminals are becoming more daring and bolder than ever.Even if you are stepping outside your house for a two minute walk,lock and padlock your doors, because your neighbors are unpredictable.

1 Like

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by radiolover(m): 10:46am On Jul 01, 2023
May be those Kidnappers should go for people like Helinues, FreeStuffNG and the rest of them. These guys keep commenting in this forum and I keep wondering if they live in this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by sotall(m): 10:55am On Jul 01, 2023
This administration will favour my family grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by yemobrown(m): 11:02am On Jul 01, 2023
In my area, most churches musical instruments have been stolen in the last 1week. Terrible times we are!
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by ibechris(m): 11:02am On Jul 01, 2023
A valid opinion.

And nothing but the truth.

Work place theft has already started and on the increase.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by HeDied: 11:03am On Jul 01, 2023
We told them but it was all about tribe and religion. APC had no business to remain in power no matter who was their flag bearer. It was more like rewarding failure with another failure.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by CodeTemplar: 11:08am On Jul 01, 2023
Hardship inspires crime. Drug fuels it.
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Odin13: 11:08am On Jul 01, 2023
This administration will bring back armed robbery,
Bank robbery,
Car snatching at gun point

Kidnapping will fade.. no money..

Even yahoo go disappear.. core rituals go take over

You can’t increase poverty and limit crime..

As for me and my family.. we will be favored

1 Like

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Hardtotrust: 11:10am On Jul 01, 2023
Odin13:
This administration will bring back armed robbery,
Bank robbery,
Car snatching at gun point

Kidnapping will fade.. no money..

Even yahoo go disappear.. core rituals go take over

You can’t increase poverty and limit crime..

As for me and my family.. we will be favored

Is there a family who wouldn't want to be favoured?
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Odin13: 11:14am On Jul 01, 2023
Hardtotrust:

Is there a family who wouldn't want to be favoured?

Yes..
Some people deny this reality and live in illusion of the obvious .. they defend the evil.. and wish it on themselves..

Let it happen to them
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by helinues: 11:17am On Jul 01, 2023
The evil vindicators them.

You shall all be disgraced IJN

1 Like

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Tinubucocainesn: 11:20am On Jul 01, 2023
helinues:

So a week is gone you are still jobless

1 Like

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by PositiveDirect: 11:25am On Jul 01, 2023
helinues:

Your brain dey pain you. I can't run gen for my business again.

1 Like

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by DrinkWater247: 11:42am On Jul 01, 2023
I'm happy even those who supported him with all their might based on religion and tribe are feeling the heat.

1 Like

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Hardtotrust: 1:01pm On Jul 01, 2023
Odin13:

Yes..
Some people deny this reality and live in illusion of the obvious .. they defend the evil.. and wish it on themselves..

Let it happen to them

Isoright
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Garrieveryday: 1:38pm On Jul 01, 2023
I pray when this shall happen, it shall be to the houses of those in power. Not struggling citizens like me.
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Parachoco: 1:43pm On Jul 01, 2023
I disagree
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Parachoco: 1:45pm On Jul 01, 2023
yemobrown:
In my area, most churches musical instruments have been stolen in the last 1week. Terrible times we are!
What's the name of your area?

Tell us the name of your area and the State its located
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Roger3D(m): 1:48pm On Jul 01, 2023
The neo liberal policies of this government are about to be the doom of Nigeria. Poverty levels are going to go up as months progress with the crime rate escalating at an even greater proportion. I hope when next I visit I won't fall a victim to one of the products of an unjust system

2 Likes

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by naijapips04: 1:50pm On Jul 01, 2023
HeDied:
We told them but it was all about tribe and religion. APC had no business to remain in power no matter who was their flag bearer. It was more like rewarding failure with another failure.

But you voted for them. You voted for Tinubu and another 8 years of suffering under APC.
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Roger3D(m): 1:51pm On Jul 01, 2023
radiolover:
May be those Kidnappers should go for people like Helinues, FreeStuffNG and the rest of them. These guys keep commenting in this forum and I keep wondering if they live in this country.
Peter Obi would have done even worse. He too subscribes to the neo liberal agenda of the Bretton Woods institutions to take down every succor for the poor. He's equally as useless as Tinubu

3 Likes

Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by HeDied: 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2023
naijapips04:

But you voted for them. You voted for Tinubu and another 8 years of suffering under APC.

Who voted for Tinubu?
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by nedu666: 2:31pm On Jul 01, 2023
Pumping machine is the new gold. The way pumping machine is been stolen is amazing
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Zandena(f): 2:41pm On Jul 01, 2023
But some of you clapped for Sanusi Lamido when he visited Tinubu last month and said the markets are happy with the subsidy removal and Naira floating.
Which markets was he referring to?
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by JagabanBorgu: 2:55pm On Jul 01, 2023
HeDied:
Obi has no business coming to power.
If things were rosy, APC wouldn't have gotten to power in the first place.
Re: Fuel subsidy removal likely to increase crime rates in Nigeria (Opinion) by Opanka44(m): 3:20pm On Jul 01, 2023
Onyiiobi7735:
The more reason people should watch their properties like a hawk, because criminals are becoming more daring and bolder than ever.Even if you are stepping outside your house for a two minute walk,lock and padlock your doors, because your neighbors are unpredictable.

Robbers broke into my house two weeks ago and catered away with my properties while I was at work. The situation and cases of theft in my area here is a serious matter.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Real Reason Okupe Dumped Labour Party Emerges / 4 Graduates Arrested For Drug Trafficking. / Mend: Nigerian Gov't Forces Launch Full Scale Attack On Militant Camps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.