Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches (1121 Views)

Top 10 Pentecostal Churches In Nigeria. / Top 10 Nigerian Pentecostal Churches With The Best Choir/Music Department / Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Nsogbu001(m): 12:51am On Jul 02, 2023
I'm not a Roman Catholic but I really prefer Catholic church than Pentecostal churches because everything is well organized in the catholic church. The solemn system of Catholic is compare to none. When you visit any of the major seminaries like, Bigard memorial seminary, you will agree with me that Catholic church is very powerful and unique. I know we all worship the same God but the solemnity of Catholic church is top notch.
Share your own experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FTihN1b88c

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Kobojunkie: 1:15am On Jul 02, 2023
Nsogbu001:
I'm not a Roman Catholic but I really prefer Catholic church than Pentecostal churches because everything is well organized in the catholic church. The solemn system of Catholic is compare to none. When you visit any of the major seminaries like, Bigard memorial seminary, you will agree with me that Catholic church is very powerful and unique. I know we all worship the same God but the solemnity of Catholic church is top notch.
You are obviously in this to belong to a group rather than to actually find and worship God. My question is why not join the rotary club or maybe a men's club instead? They are also organized and engage in several rituals which may in fact enhance your life more than these churches can, and they at least do not offer you lies laced in the many mentions of the name of God to deceive you with. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Nsogbu001(m): 1:18am On Jul 02, 2023
Kobojunkie:
You are obviously in this to belong to a group rather than to actually find and worship God. My question is why not join the rotary club or maybe a men's club instead? They are also organized and engage in several rituals which may in fact enhance your life more than these churches can, and they at least do not offer you lies laced in the many mentions of the name of God to deceive you with. undecided

What are u trying to say? That they worship Satan? Maybe u have not attended the church shaa
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by DaddyCoool: 1:19am On Jul 02, 2023
Nsogbu001:
Share your own experience.
https://youtu.be/0FTihN188c

I see your point, but what do you say to people who say you worship Virgin Mary and Saints and bow to graven images and worship them?

3 Likes

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Nsogbu001(m): 1:20am On Jul 02, 2023
DaddyCoool:

I see your point, but what do you say to people who say you worship Virginia Mary and Saints and bow to graven images and worship them?

They DON'T worship it. The HONOUR it only.

1 Like

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Kobojunkie: 1:22am On Jul 02, 2023
Nsogbu001:
What are u trying to say? That they worship Satan? Maybe u have not attended the church shaa
Religion as a whole has absolutely nothing to do with God as it is instead a system of lies put together by men — false teachers and false prophets, those typically referred to as religious authorities/leaders— as a tool with which to gain power and control over the very lives and minds of the gullible folks out there desperate enough to submit to their claims in ignorance. undecided
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Nsogbu001(m): 1:30am On Jul 02, 2023
The society would have been in chaos without religion. Religion has it's own flaws but there is supreme being which is God they worship. U don't rule the fact that there's no God bc of few individuals that do the very opposite
Kobojunkie:
Religion as a whole has absolutely nothing to do with God as it is instead a system of lies put together by men — false teachers and false prophets, those typically referred to as religious authorities/leaders— as a tool with which to gain power and control over the very lives and minds of the gullible folks out there desperate enough to submit to their claims in ignorance. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Kobojunkie: 1:39am On Jul 02, 2023
Nsogbu001:
■ The society would have been in chaos without religion.
■ Religion has it's own flaws but there is supreme being which is God they worship. U don't rule the fact that there's no God bc of few individuals that do the very opposite
I don't know how old you are but back in the 80s, long before religious houses became commonplace in Nigeria, society was stable and everyone was fine. I don't know where you lot get these ideas that religion saved the day in Nigeria but that is of fables fed to you by your many religious authorities. undecided

2. Like I said earlier, religion isn't about God so the question of God does not even come up here. In religion, you instead worship the rules and ideas put forth by those men you have as gods over your lives. undecided
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by DaddyCoool: 1:47am On Jul 02, 2023
Nsogbu001:

Then what do you call this below? The bible clearly says thou shall not bow to images

2 Likes

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by LikeAking: 1:52am On Jul 02, 2023
DaddyCoool:

Then what do you call this below? The bible clearly says thou shall not bow to images

Whatever they do not concern you. The most important thing is: ' Is it working? '

Mind ya biz..

God no complean.

1 Like

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by DaddyCoool: 1:58am On Jul 02, 2023
LikeAking:

Whatever they do not concern you. The most important thing is: ' Is it working? '

Mind ya biz..

God no complean.

I never said it concerned me. I simply very politely and honestly asked what he says to people who raise those points - because I really want to know

2 Likes

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Nsogbu001(m): 2:28am On Jul 02, 2023
LikeAking:

Mind ya biz..

God no complean.

I pray one day you will understand
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Nsogbu001(m): 2:31am On Jul 02, 2023
DaddyCoool:

U bow wen u meet ur elderly ones right? It's th d same
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Nsogbu001(m): 2:33am On Jul 02, 2023
Kobojunkie:
I don't know how old you are but back in the 80s, long before religious houses became commonplace in Nigeria, society was stable and everyone was fine. I don't know where you lot get these ideas that religion saved the day in Nigeria but that is of fables fed to you by your many religious authorities. undecided

2. Like I said earlier, religion isn't about God so the question of God does not even come up here. In religion, you instead worship the rules and ideas put forth by those men you have as gods over your lives. undecided

Tradition too is a religion right?
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Kobojunkie: 2:51am On Jul 02, 2023
Nsogbu001:
■ Tradition too is a religion right?
Think about it carefully. Your parents begin indoctrinating you from the moment you are born in the ways they call tradition. You are made to live your life according to rules that they — your parents — had absolutely no hand or mind in putting together, and are not even able to question out of fear of men who are referred to as traditional leaders. Does this not remind you of religious authorities/leaders? Not only are you not allowed to question any of the logic behind the many traditional rules, but you are also told to believe that obedience without question of what your traditional leaders say is your lot in life. Isn't that religion? undecided
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by olus01(m): 2:55am On Jul 02, 2023
You mean the church that see Marry the mother of Jesus as their Christ
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by Kobojunkie: 2:56am On Jul 02, 2023
olus01:
■ You mean the church that see Marry the mother of Jesus as their Christ
You think your own denomination does not worship idols as well? undecided
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:35am On Jul 02, 2023
Nsogbu001:

I know we all worship the same God
Are you sure of this? 1Corinthians 8:5

Jesus said:
"By their fruits you will know them" Matthew 7:16

So if a religious group is well organized in what they does in their gathering but another is not then what convinced you that they're both under the direction of the same deity (god) ? undecided
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by paxonel(m): 5:08am On Jul 02, 2023
DaddyCoool:

i ain't no catholic, but atleast i have interacted with some professional cathecists back then while i was in school and i asked them the same questions you are asking.

Here is the thing.
Bowing before figures and images among Catholics does not necessarily mean worship but it is a traditional thing of the ancient Roman empire.
In a bid to show respect to figures or biblical characters they consider heronic, they traditionally bow before their images and monuments, just like the Yoruba tradition demands that the younger ones bows before their elders. In such case, the younger ones are not said to worship their elders but rather, they are showing signs of respect.

But spiritually,, in the real sense, what is worship in Christianity?
How do we distinguish between mere bowing down before someone, figures or images from worship?

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Mark the phrase THE HOUR COMETH.
It refers to the hour when Christ will die and resurrect. From that point the true worshippers begin to exist in contrast to those who worship during the old covenant. These true worshippers are believers.

So if Catholics have believed in Christ and they profess that Jesus is the Christ, then it is unfair to use their mere traditional practices of bowing and honoring monuments of faithful martyrs to judge them, seeing that tradition is already part of the people and there is nothing you can do to separate certain traditional practices from the people.

But what is fascinating is, most Catholics cannot explain what they do if you ask them. Because they are usually groomed to obey without asking questions

2 Likes

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by vdestro: 7:20am On Jul 02, 2023
Nsogbu001:

This is proof that you have always been a catholic.

That your honouring is worship especially the chanting part just proves babalawoism and then not to forget The Law on images, which you people rub and kiss and cry and bow to and pray to.

So is their anything done to idols that you people have not done to your idols? (You also lift up sacrifices to it)

1 Like

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by vdestro: 7:25am On Jul 02, 2023
Nsogbu001:
Share your own .

It is a fraud and a lie to pretend that you have not always been a catholic. No none-catholic will ever go to a seminary
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by vdestro: 7:32am On Jul 02, 2023
Nsogbu001:

U bow wen u meet ur elderly ones right? It's th d same

Only the living elderly ones or even honourable living people

But never to their photos or images, which of course we never even raise images of them.

So, your reply is still off the Mark and out of Law!
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by vdestro: 7:40am On Jul 02, 2023
paxonel:
i ain't no catholic, but atleast i have interacted with some professional cathecists back then while i was in school and i asked them the same questions you are asking.

Here is the thing.
Bowing before figures and images among Catholics does not necessarily mean worship but it is a traditional thing of the ancient Roman empire.
In a bid to show respect to figures or biblical characters they consider heronic, they traditionally bow before their images and monuments, just like the Yoruba tradition demands that the younger ones bows before their elders. In such case, the younger ones are not said to worship their elders but rather, they are showing signs of respect.

But spiritually,, in the real sense, what is worship in Christianity?
How do we distinguish between mere bowing down before someone, figures or images from worship?

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Mark the phrase THE HOUR COMETH.
It refers to the hour when Christ will die and resurrect. From that point the true worshippers begin to exist in contrast to those who worship during the old covenant. These true worshippers are believers.

So if Catholics have believed in Christ and they profess that Jesus is the Christ, then it is unfair to use their mere traditional practices of bowing and honoring monuments of faithful martyrs to judge them, seeing that tradition is already part of the people and there is nothing you can do to separate certain traditional practices from the people.

But what is fascinating is, most Catholics cannot explain what they do if you ask them. Because they are usually groomed to obey without asking questions

Breautiful argument but still flawed. Why?

Because, we all understand what God had in mind when He Said "do not make any image..."

And obviously, the Romans disregarded God, just like the isrealites and did as they please, therefore setting the tradition of disregard of God.

Thus, the yorubas bow to older living persons, but certainly never created images of the elder ones to bow to them.
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by davinchecodes(m): 7:44am On Jul 02, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Oga rest, religion have been in existence since man existed.

1 Like

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by davinchecodes(m): 7:46am On Jul 02, 2023
vdestro:

Because, we all understand what God had in mind when He Said "do not make any image..."

And obviously, the Romans disregarded God, just like the isrealites and did as they please, therefore setting the tradition of disregard of God.

Thus, the yorubas bow to older living persons, but certainly never created images of the elder ones to bow to them.

God said you shouldn't bow to any living things
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by paxonel(m): 8:04am On Jul 02, 2023
vdestro:

that is, in the old testament right?

I can categorically tell you that in the old testament people were still primitive, so bowing down to graven images as at time implies worship.
But today, that isn't the case anymore, because humans are becoming more knowledgeable such that you can't always judge people's minds by mere what they do.

Today, if you see someone bowing before one orunmila or sango or obatala, it does not necessarily mean that he has faith or believes in the deity. Except, when you ask the person he tells you that is what he truly worships, that is the only way you can conclude that he is truly worshipping the deity. Otherwise any conclusion you make without asking is only assumption and non effective.

Me, I have had reasons to enter a mosque and bow among Muslims and non of them didn't know that i wasn't a Muslim.
Does my bowing my head to the ground in a mosque make me a Muslim?
Absolutely no

Because it is only the spirit that judges the mind.
And God who is a spirit have the absolute power to determine what is in the mind of humans, not another person who knows nothing in the mind of another person.

Joseph of Arimarhea in the bible was among the Pharisees doing everything the Pharisees does, but he was secret disciple of Jesus Christ, how do you explain that?

1 Like

Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by AntiChristian: 8:25am On Jul 02, 2023
paxonel:

I can categorically tell you that in the old testament people were still primitive, so bowing down to graven images as at time implies worship.
But today, that isn't the case anymore, because humans are becoming more knowledgeable such that you can't always judge people's minds by mere what they do.

Today, if you see someone bowing before one orunmila or sango or obatala, it does not necessarily mean that he has faith or believes in the deity. Except, when you ask the person he tells you that is what he truly worships, that is the only way you can conclude that he is truly worshipping the deity. Otherwise any conclusion you make without asking is only assumption and non effective.
Because it is only the spirit that judges the mind.
And God who is a spirit have the absolute power to determine what is in the mind of humans, not another person who knows nothing in the mind of another person.

Joseph of Arimarhea in the bible was among the Pharisees doing everything the Pharisees does, but he was secret disciple of Jesus Christ, how do explain that?

In the beginning of Matthew when the Maggi aka wise men purportedly "worshipped" Jesus, how did they worship?

Don't you do same to your idols of Mary, Jesus and saints you pray to?

I have heard it so many times in mass "Saint Ignatius of Loyola"........other chorused "pray for us" and so many other saints!

Even the hail Mary you recite, you keep telling a dead woman to pray for you!
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by vdestro: 8:33am On Jul 02, 2023
paxonel:

So is stealing, adultery and murder, all in the same Commandment and they are still in force today.

paxonel:

Joseph of Arimarhea in the bible was among the Pharisees doing everything the Pharisees does, but he was secret disciple of Jesus Christ, how do explain that?

The bible described him as a rightous man which means that he was not doing every thing which the pharisees did and all his acts are within public knowledge, to earn him being called a rightous man, so, you still have no point.
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by vdestro: 8:44am On Jul 02, 2023
davinchecodes:

God said you shouldn't bow to any living things

I said "living persons" not living things.

And God knows that when we bow before living people, it is as a result of His Law of "respect the hoary head"/ honour the honourfull man.
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by paxonel(m): 8:55am On Jul 02, 2023
AntiChristian:

In the beginning of Matthew when the Maggi aka wise men purportedly "worshipped" Jesus, how did they worship?
ofcourse they bowed before Jesus. Again, there is no record in the bible that their bowing to baby Jesus is a translation of what they truly worshipped, neither was there any record that these people ended up becoming disciple of Jesus.
Remember, they were more or less like astrologers who study stars, perhaps stars could be their religion.

Don't you do same to your idols of Mary
I ain't no catholic, I'm just being object here talking like someone who have gone to verify the truth. Those things aren't Idols, they are monuments of Christian martyrs of which Mary was one of them.

, Jesus
has nothing to do with you

and saints you pray to?
they don't pray to any saint. Rather, they believe that these saints are still alive today praying

I have heard it so many times in mass "Saint Ignatius of Loyola"........other chorused "pray for us" and so many other saints!
catholic mass are usually symbolic. Going by the fact that Jesus resurrected, Catholics believe that these saints have also resurrected and they are alive today praying for the world. That's why they keep saying pray for us

Even the hail Mary you recite, you keep telling a dead woman to pray for you!
well, that's your own belief.
But we Christians believe that the saints are still alive grin
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by paxonel(m): 9:16am On Jul 02, 2023
vdestro:

So is stealing, adultery and murder, all in the same Commandment and they are still in force today.
you know, if one is caught stealing or committing murder or adultery you can easily judge the person according to the law. But when someone bows to a graven image there is no law you can use to judge that one but the law of faith.Hence, we are justified by our Faith in Christ, not by the law, new testament will confirm that one.

You can't judge Catholics until they tell you themselves that :
1. They don't believe in Christ
2. The images they bow before are idols and not monuments.

You will only let God who is a spirit to judge them.

The bible described him as a rightous man which means that he was not doing every thing which the pharisees did and all his acts are within public knowledge, to earn him being called a rightous man, so, you still have no point.
which bible describe Joseph as a righteous man, where? grin

Contrary to that

1 John 1: 8 says all have sinned, no righteous man
Re: Why I Prefer Catholic Church To Pentecostal Churches by vdestro: 9:36am On Jul 02, 2023
paxonel:
you know, if one is caught stealing or committing murder or adultery you can easily judge the person according to the law. But when someone bows to a graven image there is no law you can use to judge that one but the law of faith.

What has been going on here? Is it not the judging of the catholics bowing to images, with The Law?

There is actually nothing for you to say.
paxonel:

which bible describe Joseph as a righteous man, where? grin
Contrary to that

1 John 1: 8 says all have sinned, no righteous man

Obviously you have not read the bible well enough. Luke 24:50/51.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bauchi Mayhem: Why Is Islam So Prone To Senseless Violence And Killing?!? / ? Who Is Truly Born Again And What Qualifies U To Enter Into The Kingdom Of God / Bermuda Triangle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.