Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,692 members, 7,813,289 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages (14589 Views)

PSC To IGP Egbetokun: Consider more State Commissioners From SE, NE Zones / PSC To Policemen: Return To Duty Posts Or Face Dismissal / Mbu Ordered Shoot At Electoral Offenders In Self Defence, APC Kicked (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by fergie001: 1:53pm On Jul 03, 2023
The National Industrial Court on Monday ordered the Police Service Commission (PSC), to pay retired AIG Mbu Joseph Mbu, the sum of ₦40 million as general damages.

”I hold that the claimant’s premature retirement through a press release on July 2, 2016 is unlawful, unconstitutional, null and void and of no effect”.

The court in addition set aside the purported retirement and declared that the claimant remained an officer of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), until he attained the mandatory retirement age of 60 on May 10, 2018.

Furthermore, the court ordered the defendant to pay Mbu his salaries, allowances and entitlement from July 2, 2016 when he was retired until May 10, 2018 when he ought to have retired having attained 60 years.

The judge while delivering the judgment ordered that the sum of ₦750,000 be paid to the claimant as cost of the suit, stating that failure of the defendant to comply with the orders of the court within 30 days will attract a 10 per cent interest per annum.

The court, however, declined the relief of promotion to the position of a DIG and reinstatement sought by the claimant. This, the court explained cannot be sustained as the claimant had reached the mandatory retirement age on May 10, 2018 when the suit was pending.

From facts, the claimant, Mbu instituted the suit against the commission over his alleged compulsory retirement on July 2, 2016, when he was the commandant of the Police Staff College.

In his statement of facts, he stated that he was born May 10, 1958, and joined the police on Dec. 11, 1985, and had not reached the mandatory retirement age of 60, nor had he spent 35 years in service before he was retired in 2016.

The claimant had therefore sought, amongst other reliefs, an order of the court to invalidate his retirement, which he claimed was done via a press release as he was never served statutory notice of retirement.

He also sought for an order of the court directing the defendant to pay his salaries, allowances and other entitlements from July 2016 to 2018, when he would have been due for retirement. He also sought for payment of his terminal benefits, ₦500 million as general damages and ₦20 million as cost of the suit.

The defendant on its part through processes stated that the claimant was not retired through press release, but that he was pulled out from the force in a ceremonial event. The defendant equally averred that promotion in the force is not automatic and that the claimant did not meet some of the requirements for promotion.

According to the defendant the reorganisation in NPF at the time of the claimant’s retirement followed due process and the claimant was not the only person affected.

The court in its judgment stated that although the defendant abandoned it case by failing to show up in court to conduct its defence, the action did not exonerate the claimant from the burden to proof his case.

The judge submitted that pleadings are not synonymous to evidence as the defendant was never in court regardless of several hearing notices served.

Justice Obaseki-Osaghae in addition stated that the defendant was deemed to have abandoned its case as the claimant’s submissions were not contested. She said that the claimant having proven his case on its strength through credible evidence without relying on the weakness of the defendants, was entitled to some of the reliefs he sought.

SOURCE

PREVIOUS THREAD:
https://www.nairaland.com/3200658/joseph-mbu-manko-ringim-retired#47115362

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by TemplarLandry: 1:53pm On Jul 03, 2023
cool
Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by yarimo(m): 1:58pm On Jul 03, 2023
Mbu should go and meet GEJ and PEJ for any benefits undecided undecided

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by Heroicvic(m): 2:00pm On Jul 03, 2023
It's only in Nigeria that everyone ignores laws verdict and do otherwise.. buhari started it ...

They won't pay shishi

In other thread, I revealed how my friend hacked his easy buy phone and one mofo mentioned me and started laying curses on my friend.
even though I'm against what he did coz I stated that I've left the place for some time in fear of being arrested as an accomplice

I think y'all should focus more on news like this eyin oponu

"the Buhari administration made provisions of N11.92 billion for feeding and foreign trips of the President and Vice President in the 2023 Budget of the Federal Government which Tinubu and VP Shettima have now inherited."

6 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by bigdammyj: 2:00pm On Jul 03, 2023
Noted.

I want to believe he'll get it sha because he is part of the system, if to say na odinary man now, dat judgment na voice mail.

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by topoftheworld(m): 2:01pm On Jul 03, 2023
Which Business can I start with this my 500k?
Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by Racoon(m): 2:01pm On Jul 03, 2023
Lawlessness everywhere across this nation.

4 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by osuofia2(m): 2:02pm On Jul 03, 2023
Aig Mbu Joseph Mbu. A disciplinarian, Rugged and sharp officer. I remember his forceful retirement, when IGP Kpotun was made IGP by Buhari. A lot of bulllshit went under the dullard

9 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by 123yes(m): 2:02pm On Jul 03, 2023
Mbu was a fine offer then. I wonder why Nigeria police retired this fine offer then. Hope they pay him.

5 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by Emmypure: 2:02pm On Jul 03, 2023
See cash out
Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by kokoA(m): 2:02pm On Jul 03, 2023
Nigeria govmt dey pay judgement money?

1 Like

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by Isokotolopia: 2:03pm On Jul 03, 2023
Who has the background of this story
Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by richard870(m): 2:04pm On Jul 03, 2023
Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by marlow1962(m): 2:04pm On Jul 03, 2023
Aig to catch out 40 meter like this, nice one.
Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by Desmond2011(m): 2:04pm On Jul 03, 2023
Good judgement

1 Like

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by slimmax: 2:05pm On Jul 03, 2023
Police scam police, no harm done

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 03, 2023
shocked shocked
Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by Robchuks77(m): 2:06pm On Jul 03, 2023
yarimo:
Mbu should go and meet GEJ and PEJ for any benefits undecided undecided
EVERY thing no be cruise... Who forcefully retired him??

6 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by atobs4real(m): 2:07pm On Jul 03, 2023
Na waoo.
They added all the illegal means of acquiring monies together.
Lol
Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by anidan(m): 2:07pm On Jul 03, 2023
Amaechi's nightmare
Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by Blueace247(f): 2:07pm On Jul 03, 2023
First and foremost, it is essential to recognize that court decisions are made based on the interpretation of the law and the evidence presented. While we may not have access to all the details of the case, it is crucial to respect the legal process and the judgment delivered. The court, being an impartial body, evaluates the merits and facts before reaching a decision.

That being said, it would be interesting to understand the circumstances that led to this court order. It is essential to acknowledge that public figures, such as law enforcement officers, often face complex and challenging situations in the line of duty. Without having specific information on the case, it is challenging to pass a definitive judgment on the court's ruling.

Moreover, it is worth noting that financial compensations awarded by courts are meant to provide redress for damages suffered by individuals. These damages can range from physical harm to reputational damage and emotional distress. The court, after assessing the evidence presented, determined that Mr. Joseph Mbu was entitled to compensation amounting to ₦40 million.

It is vital to respect the court's decision and remember that it is not our role as forum participants to determine guilt or innocence. The court has conducted a thorough evaluation of the facts and has reached a conclusion based on the available evidence.

In any legal system, there are mechanisms for appealing court decisions if either party believes there were errors in the judgment. It is possible that the PSC may choose to pursue such avenues if they believe the ruling is unjust or incorrect.

For your academic writings

https://www.nairaland.com/7750619/academic-writer

4 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by Opanka44(m): 2:07pm On Jul 03, 2023
Who will obey this court order?
Who will pay that money to Mbu Joseph?

1 Like

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by abobote: 2:10pm On Jul 03, 2023
Only 40M? This man dealt with Amaechi that year, though Amaechi later laughed last

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by yarimo(m): 2:13pm On Jul 03, 2023
Robchuks77:

EVERY thing no be cruise... Who forcefully retired him??
When he was busy preventing seating Governor from entering government house you don't know everything was cruise then abi ?

4 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by Robchuks77(m): 2:15pm On Jul 03, 2023
yarimo:
When he was busy preventing seating Governor from entering government house you don't know everything was cruise then abi ?
U can sound so perry atimes.. I shouldn't be reasoning with u..

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders PSC To Pay Rtd AIG Joseph Mbu ₦40m For Damages by IamANigerianMan: 2:15pm On Jul 03, 2023
Heroicvic:
It's only in Nigeria that everyone ignores laws verdict and do otherwise.. buhari started it ...

They won't pay shishi

In other thread, I revealed how my friend hacked his easy buy phone and one mofo mentioned me and started laying curses on my friend.
even though I'm against what he did coz I stated that I've left the place for some time in fear of being arrested as an accomplice

I think y'all should focus more on news like this eyin oponu

"the Buhari administration made provisions of N11.92 billion for feeding and foreign trips of the President and Vice President in the 2023 Budget of the Federal Government which Tinubu and VP Shettima have now inherited."

Cokrate has 5 yrs to retire, Buhari went down to someone who six years to retire, many AIGs retired that time... That is why people don't use their mind work in this because no reward.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Consumers Lament As Food Prices Rise 30% In Eight States / Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival / Arrested Judges: Ogungbeje Sues Buhari, AGF, DSS Others For N50bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.