Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari (832 Views)

Ikoli Harcourt Whyte – Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 5 / Links Between Kalabari And Igbo Part 3 – History Of Kalabari / Asari Dokubo Chides Wike Over Insult On Amanyanabo Of Kalabari Kingdom (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by AfricanColumbus: 8:50pm On Jul 03, 2023

Brief history of Kalabari Communities 2 (By ECBLOG)

Odum Ama/Bakana

Persistent disagreements over the kingship of Kalabari and eventual violence, led to the breaking apart of Elem Kalabari. A major opposing group to the ruling Amakiri house, the Odum Barboy group eventually left in 1881 and founded Odum Ama (translation Ama Odum; meaning Odum's town or lion's town, in Igbo). The town is known today as Bakana.

HRH King Lawrence Odum Barboy (Odum Barboy IX). King Of Bakana Kingdom

Isiowu Ama/Abonnema

Another split headed by Dee Isiowu and supporting groups founded Isiowu Ama in 1881. In the following year, 1882, Isiowu was joined by other supporting groups. The current name of the town is Abonnema. The town was founded on land originally occupied by the Obonoma people. Hence the corruption of the original Obonoma to Abonnema.

Dee Isiowu

Amakiri's Town/Buguma

The last group to leave Elem Kalabari was the Amakiri house and supporting groups in 1884. After traditional enquiries from Arochukwu, they migrated to their current location and founded Buguma (a new town on a land from the Bukuma people). Hence the corruption of the original Bukuma to Buguma.
Buguma has retained its status as the capital of the Kalabari people and the seat of the Kalabari royal house.

King Amakiri xi

You can also view this post in video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZwiEI5ZyZM

https://easternconsigliereblog.com/links-between-kalabari-and-igbo-part-4-brief-history-of-kalabari-communities/

Did you miss the earlier story. Read Links Between Kalabari And Igbo Part 3 – History Of Kalabari

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by AfricanColumbus: 10:30am On Jul 04, 2023

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 10:26pm On Jul 06, 2023
Lwkm 😂
Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 10:49pm On Jul 06, 2023
Is so funny how an Igbo man from the South East go dey tell Ijaws about Ijaw History grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Penguin2: 12:50am On Jul 07, 2023
Parachoco:
Is so funny how an Igbo man from the South East go dey tell Ijaws about Ijaw History grin
Where is it written that only the member of a tribe can write the history of the tribe?

And did the OP tell you those are his words? That he is posting it on Nairaland, does it mean he wrote it?

And lastly, how did you come to the conclusion that the OP is Igbo?

3 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by BitterTruth01: 2:32am On Jul 07, 2023
Parachoco:

But even you Yoruba don’t know your real history or have twisted it and told another story and passed it down from generation to generation until you all believe it.

You claim that Oduduwa descended from heaven as an Orisha and is a divine king. Meanwhile the guy was actually iIzoduwa who was an exiled prince from the ancient Benin Kingdom. Before his time , Benin already had about 36 Kings . That’s thousands of years before Izoduwa. So Benin already had history even before Iziduwa (Oduduwa) travelled west to ile-Ife to go and start yoruba history.

Yoruba history started thousands of years after Benin history , yet you people claim Ooni and Alaafin are superior to Oba of Benin.

Even the word Oba is from Benin language. But you’ve stolen their history

4 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by NaMe4: 3:32am On Jul 07, 2023
Did the Kalabari begin to exist from the late 1800s?

What was the history of these people prior to this period and what key events took place during the previous centuries?

How come disagreements between Kalabari clans suddenly existed post 1800?

Why is the history of the Igbos and their 'relationship' with other ethnic groups in the Southern region always centered on the post-1800 periods?

Without any form of bias, search for these answers and understand the true history of these various ethnic groups. (Not lazy searches from sources such as Wikipedia where anyone can type nonsense and keep there).

3 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 4:26am On Jul 07, 2023
BitterTruth01:

But even you Yoruba don’t know your real history or have twisted it and told another story and passed it down from generation to generation until you all believe it.

You claim that Oduduwa descended from heaven as an Orisha and is a divine king. Meanwhile the guy was actually iIzoduwa who was an exiled prince from the ancient Benin Kingdom. Before his time , Benin already had about 36 Kings . That’s thousands of years before Izoduwa. So Benin already had history even before Iziduwa (Oduduwa) travelled west to ile-Ife to go and start yoruba history.

Yoruba history started thousands of years after Benin history , yet you people claim Ooni and Alaafin are superior to Oba of Benin.

Garbage and senseless post

1 Like

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by cazchi: 4:29am On Jul 07, 2023
The world is an interesting place. It's Lunchtime in Australia and I was just in the office reading a book from the National Library archives that talked about this.
I'll get the title later, but it was about the expedition and findings of a Brit. He goes in depth of the Qua people and the Kalabari who are one with the Ibibio and "Egbo" as he called it.

He talked about the hierarchy in the villages, the justice system etc.

I'm truly stunned to see this here

As usual, I don't expect intellectuals to be the majority to comment here on Nairaland, but rather, tribal, uneducated, dishonest "Nigerians"!

3 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 4:29am On Jul 07, 2023
Penguin2:

Where is it written that only the member of a tribe can write the history of the tribe?

And did the OP tell you those are his words? That he is posting it on Nairaland, does it mean he wrote it?

You Igbos should start writing the story of Nsukka, Abakaliki, Umuahia, Enugu, Nnewi and leave the history of Ijaw alone

Ijaws are not busy night and day on Nairaland talking about Igbos history.

Make una face una history and leave Ijaw history alone, we do not need una help abeg.

Make una stop attaching Igbos with Ijaws, we were never one, we are just neighbors, that's all.

Nah One Nigeria dey cause this Madness una don engage unaself in though

3 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 4:39am On Jul 07, 2023
Simon Ekpa locked your fathers and mothers indoor for a week, the ones wey come out are being flogged with their wares destroyed

All this issue no concern Penguin2

No part of Ijaw Land dey follow una do all this una madness sit at home or Biafla bullshit

Ijaws have being living in the Niger Delta before the 7th Century

3 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by BitterTruth01: 5:46am On Jul 07, 2023
Parachoco:
Do yourself a favour and get off the internet .

Nuisance .

1 Like

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 5:49am On Jul 07, 2023
BitterTruth01:

Nuisance .
You're mistaking me for your dad Igbo boy, I'm not your daddy

Nah una go cause trouble, yet dey cry when dem retaliate against una

P!g

2 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 5:55am On Jul 07, 2023
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2023/06/kalabari-kingdom-announces-transition-of-monarch/amp/

Just like almost every other Ijaw Land, Kalabari is ruled by an Amanyanabo.

The Amanyanabo of Kalabari passed away few weeks ago, may his soul keep on RIP.

Kalabaris didn't migrate from Calabar(Efik Land) neither do they migrate from Aro(Igbo land), Kalabari is 100% Ijaw Land.

3 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 6:10am On Jul 07, 2023
I have no issue with the Igbos

And I fully agree with Asari when he said the 5 South Eastern State should become an Independent Country. I have no issue with Igbos who claim dey want Biafra

The only issue I have is when Igbos from Abia, Anambra, Imo, Enugu and Ebonyi start claiming Ijaw Land on Social Media.

Igbos and Ijaws were never united before the arrival of the White men

Ijaws have being Trading with the Europeans(Dutch and Portuguese) since the 15 century.

Person go sit for the comfort of his house in Aba and start claiming Lands that he has never being to.

2 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Christistruth03: 6:19am On Jul 07, 2023
Parachoco:

They are still fighting over Yoruba History in Lagos

And if you ask them their own History and their Community leaders of 5 Centuries ago they don't have a Clue

Is that not just ridiculous

2 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 6:22am On Jul 07, 2023
Christistruth03:

They are still fighting over Yoruba History in Lagos

Is that not just ridiculous
They know the history of other people but do not know their own history

3 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Christistruth03: 6:24am On Jul 07, 2023
Parachoco:
They know the history of other people but do not know their own history

Just ask them who their communities leaders were in the 17th Century or the major events that took place there, they don't have the slightest idea

2 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by GreatBoss: 6:33am On Jul 07, 2023
Wether they like it or not, Ijaws are of Ijaw Republic

The Ijaw Republic is bigger than the 53 smallest countries in the world including Isreal and Rwanda Ethnicity Ijaw 100 percent.

2 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 7:27am On Jul 07, 2023
Unperturbedpota:

This notorious multi account using member is back derailing threads and spreading hate
Are you drunk? sad

2 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by BitterTruth01: 8:08am On Jul 07, 2023
Parachoco:
You're mistaking me for your dad Igbo boy, I'm not your daddy

Nah una go cause trouble, yet dey cry when dem retaliate against una

P!g

Nope I know your type very well . You most likely didn’t have a father growing , from a broken home.
And the only validation you have is when you constitute yourself into a pest .

But keep talking .

1 Like

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Parachoco: 8:19am On Jul 07, 2023
BitterTruth01:

Nope I know your type very well . You most likely didn’t have a father growing , from a broken home.

But keep talking .

You wrote a Garbage comment I do not understand

See your Garbage Comment below

BitterTruth01:

You falsely accuse me of things I do not know about nor understand.

I gave your garbage comment the reply it deserve below

Parachoco:

You got angry and started acting like a boy whose parents fail to train well

Look at your abusive comment below

BitterTruth01:

Nuisance .

So why do you have to start crying below because I gave your comment the reply it deserve? sad

BitterTruth01:

But keep talking .

2 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Tukpa8: 8:28am On Jul 07, 2023
Penguin2:

how is it possible for a stranger to write about another people's history?
It is madness....just like me writing history about your life..is it no madness?

2 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by BitterTruth01: 8:52am On Jul 07, 2023
Parachoco:

You wrote a Garbage comment I do not understand

See your Garbage Comment below

You falsely accuse me of things I do not know about nor understand.

I gave your garbage comment the reply it deserve below

You got angry and started acting like a boy whose parents fail to train well

Look at your abusive comment below

So why do you have to start crying below because I gave your comment the reply it deserve? sad

Your penchant for mischief is your undoing .
Nowhere in the OP’s post (or in any of his previous related topics ) did he insinuate that Igbo is trying to take Ijaw land.

(Which land btw ? The one being constantly polluted and pillaged by oil companies in connivance with the northerners in power ? )

The OP simply shared information explaining that there’s a shared history between the Ijaw tribes and Igbo tribes. And this is a FACT . Even Asari Dokubo has come out publicly to say that he has Igbo ancestry but he’s fully Ijaw today . Whether or not he does is even irrelevant . The fact is that the OP shared a post and you cared not to engage in civil discourse but parroted a futile narrative about how Igbo are trying to claim Ijaw land.

Again which land , I ask you ? The one whose resources has been and is still being plundered by the northerners? What land does Igbo people occupy in this country that was not duly bought and paid for ? If you want to know those stealing land , you know where to look.

Yea you’ve turned yourself into a spokesman or spokeswoman for Yoruba affairs here on nairaland . So calling you out to defend the appropriation of Benin history by the Yoruba is a valid position . Whether you’re half Ijaw/half Yoruba or fully Ijaw does not matter. You put yourself in that position.

Reason properly before engaging. Online anonymity is not an excuse for mischief .

2 Likes

Re: Links Between Kalabari And Igbo 4 - Brief History Of Kalabari by Penguin2: 9:25am On Jul 07, 2023
Parachoco:
You Igbos should start writing the story of Nsukka, Abakaliki, Umuahia, Enugu, Nnewi and leave the history of Ijaw alone

Ijaws are not busy night and day on Nairaland talking about Igbos history.

Make una face una history and leave Ijaw history alone, we do not need una help abeg.

Make una stop attaching Igbos with Ijaws, we were never one, we are just neighbors, that's all.

Nah One Nigeria dey cause this Madness una don engage unaself in though

You and who is “we”?

Hope you know it’s Kalabari that is being talked about, not Ogbomoso?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

FG Issues Fresh Flood Alert To Nigerians, Says 48 Towns In 13 States(full List) / Economic Hardship: We Can’t Be Trusted With Protest –kanayo O Kanayo / Mustapha Gajibo Is At It Again:Turning The Desert Into A Green Field

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.