Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,510 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road (19345 Views)

This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / Neatly Used Audi A4 Car Up For Sale First Body At Good Price In Lagos / This Is What Bad Fuel Will Do To Your Car: 7 Effects Of Bad Fuel In Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by incogni2o: 6:11pm On Jul 07, 2023
Harmonize234:
Please don’t, I did it to my es330 and the steering pump show me shege, it affected the steering pump and I changed pump more than 5 times. Because of the added higher it kept stretching the pump pipe and damaging it.
My advice is to maneuver slowly and professionally when driving

How are you coping with fuel consumption of your Car.

Do you travel or city drive.
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Emeka71(m): 6:46pm On Jul 07, 2023
Alex80s:
You need it because manufacturers of these vehicles didn't put the deplorable state of our roads into consideration... If you stay in the city with good roads, what about traveling to your village??

Besides, it's safer to drive an SUV that has huge ground clearance. If you can't afford it ,you can lift your sedan,at least it will reduce the number of times you will visit a panel beater.
Or better still ride in a jeep instead of a salon-car.
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by OpulentP: 6:48pm On Jul 07, 2023
Yes, u can raise your car, if u can be very careful wen speeding; either by changing the tyres to a higher one, or rising the spring.

In my personal opinion buying higher tyres is better, there costly.

Wen u raise your car it violate the technicality behind the weight of the car and amount of air permissible to enter under the car during high speed.

The size of the tyre that comes with the car is perfect for the weight of the car by not allowing plenty air to enter under the car in high speed. Therefore, making it easy to maneuver wen driving

so, wen u raise it the car will become very light in higher speed, therefore, swinging anyhow except wen u are load

With time u will get used to it and take a very good caution wen driving.

Raising it is a better option in our own country, if not for anything, those people wey dey target bumps and stay there, so as to collect money from u.

Ur car will clamp the bumps with ease and u will be able to zoomoff, and that will save u some stress and money

Wish u a goodluck

2 Likes

Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by phemmyfour: 6:54pm On Jul 07, 2023
fineboynl:
The bad road in the state is nothing to write home about. Not to talk of other bad road that load to my house. washing your car this rain season is a waste of time and effort.

The worst part is my bumper and exhaust.

Was considering lifting the car up it it will affect the balance.
It worth it ....else you LL be spending more on fixing exhaust and other body works. Otherwise, switch to SUV
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by flexyrule(m): 6:55pm On Jul 07, 2023
You don't need to lift your car if it is the Lexus GX460 that I'm selling here...

https://www.nairaland.com/7739232/registered-2011-lexus-gx460-14m#124278269

With this Lexus, Na potholes and bad roads go dey dodge you.
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by donwily(m): 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2023
Ogun state is the worst of all the states in Africa
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by erico2k2(m): 7:10pm On Jul 07, 2023
fineboynl:
The bad road in the state is nothing to write home about. Not to talk of other bad road that load to my house. washing your car this rain season is a waste of time and effort.

This is why I recomend SUV in all Nigerian roads, as it stands our roads are OFF roads
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by ford101: 7:17pm On Jul 07, 2023
Manuella4ace:

I drove carefully with my corolla with factory height, I was just scrapping every speed bump on the road, even covet to my house, I just vex buy bigger tire and lifted it slightly, since then no more scrapping
and no issues so far.
do u mean 16inch rim and tire? For corolla 2003 to 2007
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by PeaceNation: 7:18pm On Jul 07, 2023
OpulentP:
Yes, u can raise your car, if u can be very careful wen speeding; either by changing the tyres to a higher one, or rising the spring.

In my personal opinion buying higher tyres is better, there costly.

Wen u raise your car it violate the technicality behind the weight of the car and amount of air permissible to enter under the car during high speed.

The size of the tyre that comes with the car is perfect for the weight of the car by not allowing plenty air to enter under the car in high speed. Therefore, making it easy to maneuver wen driving

so, wen u raise it the car will become very light in higher speed, therefore, swinging anyhow except wen u are load

With time u will get used to it and take a very good caution wen driving.

Raising it is a better option in our own country, if not for anything, those people wey dey target bumps and stay there, so as to collect money from u.

Ur car will clamp the bumps with ease and u will be able to zoomoff, and that will save u some stress and money

Wish u a goodluck

Pls which one is s better to do now,? Bigger size tyre or lifting?

like my own corolla

Pls what size of tyre can I buy, also is it ideal to change the Rim size too, follow come rim size is 15

1 Like

Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Charisma01: 7:50pm On Jul 07, 2023
fineboynl:

I did it on my sister's 04 Camry and the car is stable, no more hitting speed bumps. They just cut the shock absorbers and welded a little pipe to alit to increase the height.
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by OpulentP: 8:23pm On Jul 07, 2023
PeaceNation:

Pls which one is s better to do now,? Bigger size tyre or lifting?

like my own corolla

Pls what size of tyre can I buy, also is it ideal to change the Rim size too, follow come rim size is 14

[color=#006600][/color]

U dnt have to change the rim, changing the rim and tyre will be costly, just get a bigger tyre, u don't have to disturb urself, go with the car to tyre dealer tell him u need a bigger tyre. U will just place the one u want to buy beside the one in ur car, u will notice a little height increase in the tyre.

So, by the time u replace all the 4, u will realize the car is higher than it was.

My car is Matrix and the rim is that follow come Toyota rim, and I used Tokunbo tyre that time, about 2 years now, no issue.

2 Likes

Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by DukeNija(m): 8:31pm On Jul 07, 2023
Gr8mind07:
Those speed bumps are learning compared to the speed bumps on the Obajana kogi state axis.

I swear. That road to Dangote Cement Factory has crazy massive speed bumps without warning o.
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Manuella4ace: 8:33pm On Jul 07, 2023
ford101:
do u mean 16inch rim and tire? For corolla 2003 to 2007

Yea, the tire I bought was 205/60r16
It still scrapped my covet, I just vex raise the car by 1inch.

I wanted to buy 205/65r16 but I was scared the from tire would scrap the splash guard when turning, I just ended the idea and went for 205/60r16
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by femmoy(m): 8:59pm On Jul 07, 2023
fineboynl:

You mean to say raising the car? Not a good idea as it'll affect everything about the car,speed, stability and balance......
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by jgbemson1: 8:59pm On Jul 07, 2023
Raising height is good if it been done by a good mechanic .

But me will prefer a bigger tire with height .

I need a good car stereo to buy ,I need to change the car radio in my Corolla .

If u have please DM 07012873988
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Harmonize234: 9:53pm On Jul 07, 2023
bonnyhope:

What about putting bigger size tyres

The es330 has 17inch rim so I’m not changing it
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Harmonize234: 9:56pm On Jul 07, 2023
incogni2o:

How are you coping with fuel consumption of your Car.

Do you travel or city drive.

Boss na city driving oo, but in all things make baba God provide for us to enjoy life as everything na vanity
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by seniorgozman(m): 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2023
Don't try it
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by XGhost: 10:11pm On Jul 07, 2023
After cracking my sump and subsequently transmission lines, nobody told me before I lifted mine. Also switched to 205/60/16.
Fuel consumption increased slightly because of the bigger tyres but, it's a compromise I can live with
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Manuella4ace: 10:13pm On Jul 07, 2023
seniorgozman:
Don't try it

So you prefer patching your exhaust frequently abi?
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by mabea: 10:25pm On Jul 07, 2023
Lifted mine reluctantly with big tyres. No issues as a result
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by PeaceNation: 11:28pm On Jul 07, 2023
OpulentP:

[color=#006600][/color]

U dnt have to change the rim, changing the rim and tyre will be costly, just get a bigger tyre, u don't have to disturb urself, go with the car to tyre dealer tell him u need a bigger tyre. U will just place the one u want to buy beside the one in ur car, u will notice a little height increase in the tyre.

So, by the time u replace all the 4, u will realize the car is higher than it was.

My car is Matrix and the rim is that follow come Toyota rim, and I used Tokunbo tyre that time, about 2 years now, no issue.

Noted thank you
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by chukel(m): 3:10am On Jul 08, 2023
shiwex:
bad roads and you still went out and voted for APC.
change how you reason. Was APC the government in power in his state?
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Caseless: 7:31am On Jul 08, 2023
fineboynl:
south east has the worst speed bumps especially Enugu. Speed bumps without a sign post. Speed bumps on express road. Spend bumps on hill so many I can't mention.

I'm sure this is why it's advisable buying a Nigerian used car, buy in the north. Roads are mostly bad in the south - maybe due to excessive rainfall.
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by seniorgozman(m): 8:14am On Jul 08, 2023
Manuella4ace:

So you prefer patching your exhaust frequently abi?
If you are buying a very low car, you must develop the technicality of how pass bad road

1 Like

Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by esthel(f): 8:19am On Jul 08, 2023
baconline:
Lifting a car reduces the stability especially on high speed
no wonder those mazda buses are quick to catch fire at any slight mistake.
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by udeh3(m): 8:48am On Jul 08, 2023
Lifting your car will reduce the efficiency in terms of balancing and stability, especially on highways where you might likely speed up.

It's tempting to life your car as a Nigerian, but, don't fall into such temptation

The stress and risk that comes after isn't worth it

Don't forget, safety first, safety always

2 Likes

Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Whois(m): 12:03pm On Jul 08, 2023
Read your (toyota) car Manuel it is there. it's not a bad idea if you lift your shock absorbers 1 inches higher.
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Jazzman01: 12:05pm On Jul 08, 2023
Alex80s:
You need it because manufacturers of these vehicles didn't put the deplorable state of our roads into consideration... If you stay in the city with good roads, what about traveling to your village??

Besides, it's safer to drive an SUV that has huge ground clearance. If you can't afford it ,you can lift your sedan,at least it will reduce the number of times you will visit a panel beater.

Some people dont know why Engineers make these cars close to the ground. They put centre of gravity into consideration when designing in order to aid balance. I dont support raising any car because the ground clearance has been calculated based on the car's width and height.
Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Kobicove(m): 3:22pm On Jul 08, 2023
Get bigger tyres first, if it continues scrapping the ground then lift it

2 Likes

Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by Manuella4ace: 5:21pm On Jul 08, 2023
seniorgozman:

If you are buying a very low car, you must develop the technicality of how pass bad road

My oga, Ive developed 100% technicality on passing bad road, but road bump is too must in the south east and my covet is quite high, so I tried everything possible even bought brand new tire bigger size and still yet it still Scape the bump and covet, my dear I have no option than to lift up.

My neighbours don patch their exhaust tire, I don't think I can endure the patch patch of exhaust oo.

1 Like

Re: Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road by MZEE01: 5:21pm On Jul 08, 2023
I don't compromise my safety.

I drive my car the way they manufactured it.

I checked into my owner's manual, it was never recommended that I should lift it no matter the situation.

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Is Better: Rav4, Crv, Highlander Or Pathfinder / Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) / Driver Rams Into Bus Stop In Lagos. See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.