Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? (41590 Views)

Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? Part 2 / How Many Of These Fruits Have You Eaten? (photos) / Have You Seen Or Eaten Albino Cucumbers Before? (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by MykellOni(m): 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2023
Attendance: Present ✔️
Only ojojo I know....
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Josephkabila12: 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2023
DyshApp:
Jollof Rice! Very popular Nigerian food; almost every Nigerian can testify. Akara, made from black-eyed beans, is called a lot of names according to different tribes. A typical Nigerian should know it too. You may or may have not heard of foods like Onunu, Ojojo, and Epiti (I will stop here for now lest I spoil the fun). Here are some Nigerian foods you may just be learning about.

Onunu I have taken onunu and ojojo before
This is a very interesting food from Rivers State. Its striking yellow color is enough to make you salivate. Onunu could be compared to our conventional eba, sem,o, or other swallows. The difference is that it is made by diligently mashing cooked, ripe plantain and boiled yam, then finished up with palm oil (adding pepper is optional). Onunu is often eaten with spicy fish pepper soup and would leave you licking your fingers for days.

Kwanya (cow brain stew)
Hold up! Don't get irked out yet! This is a wonder not for the faint of heart. Just as regular Nigerian stews are made from fish, meat, turkey, chicken, snails... Kwanya is a delicacy made from cow brains.

Esunsun
Mmm, I can taste the aroma just by writing about it. Called Aku by the Igbos, Esunsun by the Yorubas, Chinge by the Hausas, and Huu by the Tivs. The Winged Termite is always very available during the rainy season. A special trap of a single light source, broom, and a bucket of water would fetch you dinner. Seasoned with salt and fried in a dry pan, Esunsun will leave your kitchen bursting with flavor and your mouth wanting more. What is the Winged Termite called in your language?

Ojojo
A non-Yoruba person would most definitely mention Amala when asked to list Yoruba foods, but do you know Ojojo? Made by grating water yam, mixing up spices, then forming yam balls with your fingers and throwing them into hot oil, creating an oil splash and (with time) floating hot Ojojo!

Ridi
Popular amongst the Hausas, Ridi is a biscuit-like bar made from sesame seed with honey and sugar as a binder. Delicious right? Ridi could be served with Kunu or Zobo.

Ukwa (Breadfruit)
Tagged the most expensive food in the Igbo land, Ukwa depending on how prepared, could be eaten as a snack with coconut or as a main food garnished with vegetables, pepper, and lots of fish.

Ove
This is the food of the Ebira people. Just like moi-moi, Ove is a pudding, but it is made from a mixture of water, yam, and various spices, wrapped in banana leaves, and then steamed.

Well then... Have you ever eaten any of these meals, how does it taste?

Join our Food Lounge on Dysh for more Nigerian Foods and recipes😉

Check out some other Strange Nigerian Food on the Dyshus webpage, follow the link below👇
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Josephkabila12: 3:59pm On Jul 11, 2023
DyshApp:
Jollof Rice! Very popular Nigerian food; almost every Nigerian can testify. Akara, made from black-eyed beans, is called a lot of names according to different tribes. A typical Nigerian should know it too. You may or may have not heard of foods like Onunu, Ojojo, and Epiti (I will stop here for now lest I spoil the fun). Here are some Nigerian foods you may just be learning about.

Onunu
This is a very interesting food from Rivers State. Its striking yellow color is enough to make you salivate. Onunu could be compared to our conventional eba, sem,o, or other swallows. The difference is that it is made by diligently mashing cooked, ripe plantain and boiled yam, then finished up with palm oil (adding pepper is optional). Onunu is often eaten with spicy fish pepper soup and would leave you licking your fingers for days.

Kwanya (cow brain stew)
Hold up! Don't get irked out yet! This is a wonder not for the faint of heart. Just as regular Nigerian stews are made from fish, meat, turkey, chicken, snails... Kwanya is a delicacy made from cow brains.

Esunsun
Mmm, I can taste the aroma just by writing about it. Called Aku by the Igbos, Esunsun by the Yorubas, Chinge by the Hausas, and Huu by the Tivs. The Winged Termite is always very available during the rainy season. A special trap of a single light source, broom, and a bucket of water would fetch you dinner. Seasoned with salt and fried in a dry pan, Esunsun will leave your kitchen bursting with flavor and your mouth wanting more. What is the Winged Termite called in your language?

Ojojo
A non-Yoruba person would most definitely mention Amala when asked to list Yoruba foods, but do you know Ojojo? Made by grating water yam, mixing up spices, then forming yam balls with your fingers and throwing them into hot oil, creating an oil splash and (with time) floating hot Ojojo!

Ridi
Popular amongst the Hausas, Ridi is a biscuit-like bar made from sesame seed with honey and sugar as a binder. Delicious right? Ridi could be served with Kunu or Zobo.

Ukwa (Breadfruit)
Tagged the most expensive food in the Igbo land, Ukwa depending on how prepared, could be eaten as a snack with coconut or as a main food garnished with vegetables, pepper, and lots of fish.

Ove
This is the food of the Ebira people. Just like moi-moi, Ove is a pudding, but it is made from a mixture of water, yam, and various spices, wrapped in banana leaves, and then steamed.

Check out some other Strange Nigerian Food on the Dyshus webpage, follow the link below👇
onunu and ojojo
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by slowice(m): 4:00pm On Jul 11, 2023
ụkwa is goated though but that kwanya is not for me at all.

1 Like

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by chocboi78(m): 4:01pm On Jul 11, 2023
ajebuter:
Ojojo!!!

Either ofooro ( light fry) or gbigbe ( dry fry) grin grin

It used to be a common evening snack on the streets of Lagos in the 80s especially in ldunmota, isale eko, Balogun, Ebute ero, Agarawu, Okesuna , Elegbaata and Jankara when we were growing up ...

I especially love it with fresh bread or eko elewe grin grin

Geez! Good old Lagos of 80s when Lagos was clean before the emergence of Agbero , cultists and evil politicians

I miss that Lagos !

wow , i can’t help but imagine the scenario then. I wish to live long and tell stories like this too

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Juanmike(m): 4:02pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ukwa can never be strange in Jesus name.
I eat it twice on a Monday...
Amen?

1 Like

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by RosyIsBlessed: 4:05pm On Jul 11, 2023
None of them
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 4:05pm On Jul 11, 2023
Long pork not on the list
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Bar1941(m): 4:06pm On Jul 11, 2023
Esunsun and òjòjò
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Holluwhakemmy(f): 4:07pm On Jul 11, 2023
shantti:
Sorry, but ewedu is strange too, expecially putting Amala in the same plate with it, and pouring that yellowish liquid around it. People dey chop sha
what is wrong with amala and Ewedu? I know it is your best food you are just forming

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Burgerlomo: 4:07pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ojojo 😂 👍
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by ajebuter(f): 4:08pm On Jul 11, 2023
chocboi78:
wow , i can’t help but imagine the scenario then. I wish to live long and tell stories like this too

Warm hug

You can't imagine how good and peaceful Lagos was then

The agberos were not born then and their enablers were in classroom with us ,.lol ( those who managed to go to school then )

4 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by SweetDipBenny(m): 4:16pm On Jul 11, 2023
MS247:
kiss

Esunsun

Growing up was fun

Milky fried flying insects

Wat I'm about to tell u, i know u not gonna believe me, dat "milky fried flyin insects" na Cackroach...
Ask me how
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by bikefab(m): 4:20pm On Jul 11, 2023
None of these foods is strange, this is part of our heritage. Our pride...

1 Like

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Stanweezy(m): 4:20pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ukwa

I have missed that for long time... Wish I can see that in FCT
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by BLoomfrancs(m): 4:21pm On Jul 11, 2023
DyshApp:

Onunu

Kwanya (cow brain stew)

Esunsun

Ojojo

Ridi

Ukwa (Breadfruit)

Ove

Mumu, how is Ukwa a strange food.
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by OROSUNBOLB(m): 4:22pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ojojo and Esunsun,those I know and love to eat very well. I will like to try that Onunu;it looks good and I think it will taste good too. You see that Ukwa and Kwanya,I can't deal ! They both look horrible,uninviting and like sacrifices for the gods !
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Pootle: 4:22pm On Jul 11, 2023
fura di nunu...made from lion milk cool
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Emeka71(m): 4:23pm On Jul 11, 2023
MS247:
kiss

Esunsun

Growing up was fun

Milky fried flying insects

So right.
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Gagare1(m): 4:23pm On Jul 11, 2023
The correct name for ridi is kantu.
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by TheSuperX(m): 4:28pm On Jul 11, 2023
Disgusting
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Duchessree(f): 4:31pm On Jul 11, 2023
My roommate taught me how to prepare onunu then, i ate it with catfish pepper soup.

Growing up my mom made ojojo for us, i loved it 😍 😍 😍

I think i'll prepare onions one of these days 😎😎😎😎
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by gentleguy1975: 4:31pm On Jul 11, 2023
Esunsun is also called ogan by Ijebu people of ogun state very tasty,as for ojojo, it's also made with cocoyam
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by mariahAngel(f): 4:31pm On Jul 11, 2023
chocboi78:

You see why it's good to be respectful with comments here?

2 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by gentleguy1975: 4:34pm On Jul 11, 2023
Also from ogun state there are 2 other delicacies called Ebiripo and ikokore both made with water yam and cocoyam
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by PeachtreeReside(f): 4:34pm On Jul 11, 2023
That you do not know it is why it is strange to you...

Maybe using not so known will be most preferable and less offensive to the ones who it is indigenous to.
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Xxca6bj: 4:41pm On Jul 11, 2023
Earn $60 to $100 daily as a newbie using Instagram and your phone.

$60 × #700 = 42,000..💰

Proofs are available and it's left for you Learn and earn.....

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by chocboi78(m): 4:42pm On Jul 11, 2023
mariahAngel:

You see why it's good to be respectful with comments here?
the reasons to be respectful to people is even beyond this. It’s generally noble and sane to respect others.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by shantti(m): 4:49pm On Jul 11, 2023
Holluwhakemmy:
what is wrong with amala and Ewedu? I know it is your best food you are just forming

Are u joking?
I saw ewedu for the first time in my life during NYSC. I screamed.
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Justfacts: 4:50pm On Jul 11, 2023
I can't believe I have eaten raw Esunsun those days. Oga o
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by livitexguy(m): 5:00pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ukwa for sure.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With / See The Evolution Coca-Cola Bottles Went Through Over The Years! (PIC) / 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.