Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,028 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? (41575 Views)

Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? Part 2 / How Many Of These Fruits Have You Eaten? (photos) / Have You Seen Or Eaten Albino Cucumbers Before? (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by DyshApp: 5:42pm On Jul 07, 2023
Jollof Rice! Very popular Nigerian food; almost every Nigerian can testify. Akara, made from black-eyed beans, is called a lot of names according to different tribes. A typical Nigerian should know it too. You may or may have not heard of foods like Onunu, Ojojo, and Epiti (I will stop here for now lest I spoil the fun). Here are some Nigerian foods you may just be learning about.

Onunu
This is a very interesting food from Rivers State. Its striking yellow color is enough to make you salivate. Onunu could be compared to our conventional eba, sem,o, or other swallows. The difference is that it is made by diligently mashing cooked, ripe plantain and boiled yam, then finished up with palm oil (adding pepper is optional). Onunu is often eaten with spicy fish pepper soup and would leave you licking your fingers for days.

Kwanya (cow brain stew)
Hold up! Don't get irked out yet! This is a wonder not for the faint of heart. Just as regular Nigerian stews are made from fish, meat, turkey, chicken, snails... Kwanya is a delicacy made from cow brains.

Esunsun
Mmm, I can taste the aroma just by writing about it. Called Aku by the Igbos, Esunsun by the Yorubas, Chinge by the Hausas, and Huu by the Tivs. The Winged Termite is always very available during the rainy season. A special trap of a single light source, broom, and a bucket of water would fetch you dinner. Seasoned with salt and fried in a dry pan, Esunsun will leave your kitchen bursting with flavor and your mouth wanting more. What is the Winged Termite called in your language?

Ojojo
A non-Yoruba person would most definitely mention Amala when asked to list Yoruba foods, but do you know Ojojo? Made by grating water yam, mixing up spices, then forming yam balls with your fingers and throwing them into hot oil, creating an oil splash and (with time) floating hot Ojojo!

Ridi
Popular amongst the Hausas, Ridi is a biscuit-like bar made from sesame seed with honey and sugar as a binder. Delicious right? Ridi could be served with Kunu or Zobo.

Ukwa (Breadfruit)
Tagged the most expensive food in the Igbo land, Ukwa depending on how prepared, could be eaten as a snack with coconut or as a main food garnished with vegetables, pepper, and lots of fish.

Ove
This is the food of the Ebira people. Just like moi-moi, Ove is a pudding, but it is made from a mixture of water, yam, and various spices, wrapped in banana leaves, and then steamed.

Well then... Have you ever eaten any of these meals, how does it taste?

Join our Food Lounge on Dysh for more Nigerian Foods and recipes😉

Check out some other Strange Nigerian Food on the Dyshus webpage, follow the link below👇

16 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by MS247: 5:58pm On Jul 07, 2023
kiss

Esunsun

Growing up was fun

Milky fried flying insects

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by vastolord4(m): 5:58pm On Jul 07, 2023
Ukwa is really delicious if prepared by a good cook.. that cow brain stew is a very awkward Chow

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Zee0007: 6:18pm On Jul 07, 2023
None.
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Absuchat(m): 6:31pm On Jul 07, 2023
Ukwa and fresh oka is the only meal I can reject fried rice for.

Modified
Op... You should include Bayelsa suya( giant maggots) there... Bayelsans love it pass Good luck Johnathan.

Akara Jiakpu... My eastern brothers know how far

55 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Dreal1247: 6:32pm On Jul 07, 2023
Ukwa is very nice as it is good for diabetic patients. So much love the delicacy.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Ofemmanu1: 6:42pm On Jul 07, 2023
Ojojo is cool. esp if the wateryam is made to a spicy pudding called "Ikokore"
My Ijebu peeps can relate.

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by carl90(m): 8:16pm On Jul 07, 2023
Ukwa is not a strange food.
It is highly valued among the Igbo people.
It is so precious that it should have its own festival like the Iri Ji festival in Igbo land (New Yam Festival)

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by poshestmina(f): 5:20am On Jul 08, 2023
They are not strange foods ,they are just peculiar to certain tribes.

Onunu and fresh fish stew is my native food.,
Ojojo and dodo ikire were my 'holdup' snacks.
Aku hunting and eating made childhood Xmas visit to the village fun.
Ukwa is delicious but it's expensive .

I don't know the rest ,but I'm always open to trying new things

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by ahnie: 4:07pm On Jul 08, 2023
Maybe because m not from the eastern part of the country you see this ukwa I don't go near it or eat it at all,but my husband likes preparing it anytime he's chanced and I go just seat one side dey watch how him and the kids dey chopam happily.

That esusu thingy...may God not make me eat it....I can eat a tank full of edible maggots ,but esusu is a No-no.

6 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Probz(m): 9:22am On Jul 09, 2023
carl90:
Ukwa is not a strange food.
It is highly valued among the Igbo people.
It is so precious that it should have its own festival like the Iri Ji festival in Igbo land (New Yam Festival)

Thank you. Moreover, breadfruit (ukwa) is a commonly regarded and sought-for food in the tropical world. Why anyone would senseless themselves to the level of calling it weird or strange just because it doesn’t feature that much in their own sub-cultures is really not the one. It’s like being singled out for audibly KMTing in a space full of people who ain’t going to vibe with your Maggi-d-up mannerisms.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by shantti(m): 10:42am On Jul 09, 2023
Sorry, but ewedu is strange too, expecially putting Amala in the same plate with it, and pouring that yellowish liquid around it. People dey chop sha

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by DyshApp: 10:08pm On Jul 10, 2023
MS247:
kiss

Esunsun

Growing up was fun

Milky fried flying insects

Then have you also tried edible worms

1 Like

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by DyshApp: 10:09pm On Jul 10, 2023
Probz:

Thank you.

What food do you think deserve to be on the list?

1 Like

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by MS247: 10:09pm On Jul 10, 2023
DyshApp:

No
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by MS247: 10:10pm On Jul 10, 2023
DyshApp:

What is it like?! There is won Yoruba call Muni Muni used for egusi soup but found on palm trees

4 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by DyshApp: 10:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
MS247:

What is it like?! There is won Yoruba call Muni Muni used for egusi soup but found on palm trees

It's normally roasted on stick, it's soft and quite delicious, it's a very popular snack in Delta,basically it's roasted worm but I don't know if it's used in egusi soup and they normally sell by the roadside when traveling

4 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by tolexy007(m): 3:51pm On Jul 11, 2023
grin Esunsun the best of dem all. protein like no other

15 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Calabar1stSon: 3:52pm On Jul 11, 2023
Na who the picky go die of hunger.

May all the foods you listed favour me and my family.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by NairaLux(f): 3:52pm On Jul 11, 2023
Esusun and ojojo only once
Growing up was so fun 😊

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by TinubuGoQuench(f): 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2023
MS247:

Shut up!!! Saying trash!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Mikelarteta(m): 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2023
We Dey run Octopus 🐙 sef.

1 Like

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by sisisioge: 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2023
Only eaten Ridi....the rest look really strange grin

1 Like

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by WEALTHYLADYTIME(f): 3:54pm On Jul 11, 2023
SERIOUSLY NO I HAVEN'T,
BUT WOULD LOVE TO TASTE SOME OF IT.

HOW CHEFS DON'T PREPARE SUCH MEALS.

JESUS IS LORD

WEALTH IS GOOD.
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by SmallDick99(m): 3:54pm On Jul 11, 2023
Onunu is our local dish where I am from cheesy

Very delicious 😋

2 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Nemesis0147(m): 3:55pm On Jul 11, 2023
Esunsun And ukwa….
I tasted ukwa because of the hype….and it is very costly too…i regretted it sha.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by ajebuter(f): 3:55pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ojojo!!!

Either ofooro ( light fry) or gbigbe ( dry fry) grin grin

It used to be a common evening snack on the streets of Lagos island in the 80s especially in ldunmota, isale eko, Ereko, Balogun, Ebute ero, Agarawu, Okesuna , Elegbaata , Anikantamo , ldoluwo and Jankara when we were growing up ...it was even more popular than akara then

I especially love it with fresh bread or eko elewe grin grin

Geez! Good old Lagos of 80s when Lagos was clean before the emergence of Agbero , cultists and evil politicians

I miss that Lagos !

30 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by proxillin(m): 3:55pm On Jul 11, 2023
Esunsun and ojojo. Will still make Ojojo one day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Sandralight(f): 3:56pm On Jul 11, 2023
I would like to eat that Ridi
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by LOVEGINO(m): 3:56pm On Jul 11, 2023
For this hard time, see wetin u dey post

1 Like

Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by BABYBULLETIN: 3:57pm On Jul 11, 2023
We dont eat sacrificial foods made for the "god must be crazy"
Re: Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? by Angelfrost(m): 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2023
Cow brains stew??! My stomach is too delicate for such a culinary adventure (or Misadventure)! embarassed

Let me not go and start reasoning like a cow! lipsrsealed embarassed

16 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The Evolution Coca-Cola Bottles Went Through Over The Years! (PIC) / Does Mixing Alcoholic Drinks With Non-Alcoholic Drinks Reduce Effect? / 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.