Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,393 members, 7,815,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Where SHOULD Morality Come From? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where SHOULD Morality Come From? (474 Views)

Are Morality And Ethics Holding Back Science? / Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? / 2019: Nigeria’s Messiah Will Come From North - Pastor Tunde Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Wilgrea7(m): 7:51am On Jul 10, 2023
Hello everyone. Been a while.

So the subject of morality is one that gets brought up here quite often. The whole point of this religion thing, is to do the right thing so hopefully you can get into some sort of sky mansion after you die. you know the drift.

People usually like to argue that morality, or definitions of right and wrong, come from a god. One that's still yet to be proven tho, but that's besides the point.

I'd like to ask a different question this time. Not where morality comes from, but where it SHOULD come from.

When it comes to the definition of right and wrong, where should we ultimately be looking to define it? What things do we need to consider in making such decisions, and why?

The floor is open. I'd like to hear your thoughts and views, and hopefully share a bit of mine in the process.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Wilgrea7(m): 7:52am On Jul 10, 2023
A follow up question. For people who believe morality comes from a god.. why? Assuming gods exist, what makes them qualified to be able to dictate our moral laws? And if they do, what makes these laws themselves right?

If the government of a country passes a law that's incredibly harmful to the citizens, like the chopping off of fingers, does that make the law itself good? Or in other words, why is the law good, or bad?

For people who claim their god is qualified because it is all-knowing, how exactly do you know? How can anyone who doesn't know something, be sure that someone else knows everything?
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Cassandraloius: 7:56am On Jul 10, 2023
A man/woman can decide to be a morally good person. It comes from the individual.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Wilgrea7(m): 8:00am On Jul 10, 2023
Cassandraloius:
A man/woman can decide to be a morally good person. It comes from the individual.

But what does it mean to be a morally good person? What qualities or actions do you consider morally good? and why? Where does a person's sense of "good" come from. Where should it come from?
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 10, 2023
It should come from home (parents) but unfortunately most modern parents do not have that moral values to instill on their offspring. The immorality of today's world started from our homes, some parents do not even know where their kids sleep at night and when kids are exposed to the world too early it'll only take the grace of God to get them back on track and this brings us to where we are today. At my age Dem no born me well to be outside past six, even my movements is still being monitored though it can be frustrating sometimes sha but I've come to understand that they mean well for me.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:29am On Jul 10, 2023
Morality comes to mind when you're dealing with neighbours, when you're alone inside your room nobody can say whatever you do is immoral so it's when you have to mingle with fellow humans within the community that you must think of morality.
So it's a being who is SUPREME that should tell us how morality should be applied because if you're asking people you'll get more than billions of contradicting opinions which leads to conflicts which in turn leads to wars!

To answer your second question we need to figure out what vital role will morality play in a community.

Well morality will help people from different backgrounds to come to terms on the right standard so that we can all have the same line of thought to condemn what is harmful.

So why must it come from a God or Gods?

Experience they say is the best teacher because someone who has lived longer than you do should be able to tell you where there are pitfalls, so if God/Gods who are eternal truly exist they should know better as in wiser than humans whose lifespan is lesser than 100 years! smiley
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Wilgrea7(m): 8:36am On Jul 10, 2023
IconicR:
It should come from home (parents) but unfortunately most modern parents do not have that moral values to instill on their offspring. The immorality of today's world started from our homes, some parents do not even know where their kids sleep at night and when kids are exposed to the world too early it'll only take the grace of God to get them back on track and this brings us to where we are today. At my age Dem no born me well to be outside past six, even my movements is still being monitored though it can be frustrating sometimes sha but I've come to understand that they mean well for me.

Where do parents then get their morality from? Is it from their parents as well?

If a person's parent tells them stealing from the poor lady in the store across the street is a good thing, does that make it so?

What makes a thing truly good? Where does our sense of what is good come from? Where should it come from?
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Wilgrea7(m): 8:43am On Jul 10, 2023
Been a while Maximus. How are you

MaxInDHouse:
Morality comes to mind when you're dealing with neighbours, when you're alone inside your room nobody can say whatever you do is immoral so it's when you have to mingle with fellow humans within the community that you must think of morality.
So it's a being who is SUPREME that should tell us how morality should be applied because if you're asking people you'll get more than billions of contradicting opinions which leads to conflicts which in turn leads to wars!

Can a supreme being be wrong in it's moral judgements?

By definition, I consider supreme to be something with the highest level of power. But power doesn't necessarily translate to knowledge or wisdom. So again, can a supreme being be wrong?

If a supreme being says it's right to steal from anyone you see, would that be right? Why or why not? And how did you arrive at the conclusion?

To answer your second question we need to figure out what vital role will morality play in a community.

Well morality will help people from different backgrounds to come to terms on the right standard so that we can all have the same line of thought to condemn what is harmful.

So why must it come from a God or Gods?

Experience they say is the best teacher because someone who has lived longer than you do should be able to tell you where there are pitfalls, so if God/Gods who are eternal truly exist they should know better as in wiser than humans whose lifespan is lesser than 100 years! smiley

What makes a god wiser simply because it lived longer? There are lots of people well into old age today that are still not as wise.

If you're talking about experience, what experience exactly has a god had, that makes it qualified to determine moral laws?
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by LordReed(m): 8:58am On Jul 10, 2023
Wilgrea7:
Hello everyone. Been a while.

So the subject of morality is one that gets brought up here quite often. The whole point of this religion thing, is to do the right thing so hopefully you can get into some sort of sky mansion after you die. you know the drift.

People usually like to argue that morality, or definitions of right and wrong, come from a god. One that's still yet to be proven tho, but that's besides the point.

I'd like to ask a different question this time. Not where morality comes from, but where it SHOULD come from.

When it comes to the definition of right and wrong, where should we ultimately be looking to define it? What things do we need to consider in making such decisions, and why?

The floor is open. I'd like to hear your thoughts and views, and hopefully share a bit of mine in the process.

It should come from well-reasoned out thought processes.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:49am On Jul 10, 2023
Wilgrea7:

Been a while Maximus. How are you
Good morning my friend, i'm fine and you?

Wilgrea7:

Can a supreme being be wrong in it's moral judgements?
By definition, I consider supreme to be something with the highest level of power. But power doesn't necessarily translate to knowledge or wisdom. So again, can a supreme being be wrong?
If a supreme being says it's right to steal from anyone you see, would that be right? Why or why not? And how did you arrive at the conclusion?
Supreme means most powerful, logically the most powerful person can't support stealing because He has all the power to give whatever you have to the person of His choice in multiple folds without that one coming to steal from you.
Solomon became the richest in his time because the Almighty wanted it so but did the man steal from anyone?
NO!
The Almighty knows how to manipulate things in favour of the person of His choice without such one coming to steal from you!

Wilgrea7:

What makes a god wiser simply because it lived longer? There are lots of people well into old age today that are still not as wise.

If you're talking about experience, what experience exactly has a god had, that makes it qualified to determine moral laws?

After sometimes people's brains grow weaker and weaker until they die but eternal beings are not prone to such so their brains are sharp always the only problem is there are many Gods and one Almighty God {1Corinthians 8:5} so while other Gods can be partial the Almighty can never be partial because He has all the powers and nobody can stop Him! smiley
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by vdestro: 9:51am On Jul 10, 2023
Wilgrea7:
People usually like to argue that morality, or definitions of right and wrong, come from a god. One that's still yet to be proven tho, but that's besides the point. ...

Stop disgracing yourself. Your threads prove and shows that you still could not offer any counter to the evidences presented.

Wilgrea7:

In your own house or room like the one you have or had when in the university, where did morality or imnorality come from? Is it from your neighbour or from your visitor or from your street people?
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by vdestro: 9:53am On Jul 10, 2023
Wilgrea7:
A follow up question. For people who believe morality comes from a god.. why? Assuming gods exist, what makes them qualified to be able to dictate our moral laws? And if they do, what makes these laws themselves right?..

Hence this question.

In your own house or room like the one you have when in the university, where did morality or imnorality come from? Is it from your neighbour or from your visitor or from your street people?

Government is a pack of the strongest and the most dangerous men in an area who work together to subject and rule over their follow men, hence it is their ability and willingness to do violence and destruction that makes them different from you and i.

So, if they can make laws, i too can make laws, And if i dont have a right to make laws, then they too have no rights ti make it also, hence they are no different as we are all humans, having the same rights and liabilities and culpabilities.

Therefore, morality/immorality (Law) does not come from us most especiallly as the idea of government only came up around 4th BC by the first groups of criminal bandits (Summer Kings who broke The Morals (The Law) on ground already by violently attacking and invading unsuspecting lands that were not even theirs to surbordinate them to rule, just like what boko haram is doing in the north.

And everyone including you, called it wrong and immoral.

So, if boko haram is morally guilty, so therefore are the Summer rulers also guilty, so also are the governments who are like them, also guilty and unlawful.

Thus, the question standing again is where did the Morality, which was on ground before governments came, come from?

And this is where The Only standing Answer is God, again and again!
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by vdestro: 10:48am On Jul 10, 2023
Cassandraloius:

This is where the area of Morality is confined to the person.

But he would move post to the Morality like say, in Okoko or Sweden, where would it come from?
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by vdestro: 10:56am On Jul 10, 2023
Wilgrea7:

But what does it mean to be a morally good person? What qualities or actions do you consider morally good? and why?

Where does a person's sense of "good" come from. Where should it come from?

Isnt it clear that you are the who decides, FOR AND TO YOURSELF the Morality or Immorality. Eg whether stealing is good or giving the hungry is bad? So you can begin stealing since its good to and for you and ofcourse, workch can buy your idea, so he can steal from you as you can steal from him as way of living.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by vdestro: 11:01am On Jul 10, 2023
LordReed:

You definitely well reasoned it out to become the immoral lying, wicked and evil, twisted soul you are, which is obviously, YOUR Morality.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Maynman: 11:10am On Jul 10, 2023
Nothing is either good or bad, our thinking makes it so.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by LordReed(m): 11:37am On Jul 10, 2023
vdestro:

You definitely well reasoned it out to become the immoral lying, wicked and evil, twisted soul you are, which is obviously, YOUR Morality.

What an amazing self portrait of yourself. Well done!

LMAO!

1 Like

Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Steep: 12:32pm On Jul 10, 2023
LordReed:

What do you mean by a well reasoned out thought?
Atheism has no basis for morality
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by LordReed(m): 4:24pm On Jul 10, 2023
Steep:

What do you mean by a well reasoned out thought?
Atheism has no basis for morality

LoLz. You can repeat that till you are blue in the face. Bwahahahahaha!

Thought processes that are based on proper reasoning, taking the facts into consideration.

1 Like

Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Steep: 4:50pm On Jul 10, 2023
LordReed:

LoLz. You can repeat that till you are blue in the face. Bwahahahahaha!

Thought processes that are based on proper reasoning, taking the facts into consideration.
When you say proper reasoning, on what standard do you base this "proper reasoning"?
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by MightySparrow: 4:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
Everywhere: home, schoold, church, mosque, market.....
Righteousness exalts a nation.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by LordReed(m): 5:02pm On Jul 10, 2023
Steep:

When you say proper reasoning, on what standard do you base this "proper reasoning"?

Reasoning that doesn't stray into illogical territory.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 10, 2023
I believe your conscience and society to a larger extent.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Kobojunkie: 6:16pm On Jul 10, 2023
Skyview01:
■ I believe your conscience and society to a larger extent.
Nigerian society for instance? undecided
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by vdestro: 6:19pm On Jul 10, 2023
LordReed:

What an amazing self portrait of yourself. Well done!

LMAO!

Even here and now you prove you are indeed a wicked, lying, evil, twisted person who should be killed.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Nigerian society for instance? undecided

Yes, in a negative way for Nigeria in particular.
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by LordReed(m): 7:42pm On Jul 10, 2023
vdestro:

Even here and now you prove you are indeed a wicked, lying, evil, twisted person who should be killed.

Bwahahahahaha! Keep showing how you are describing yourself. Don't stop, go on! LMFAO!

1 Like

Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Steep: 3:03am On Jul 11, 2023
LordReed:

Reasoning that doesn't stray into illogical territory.
you are going round in circles.
If there is an illogical territory, it means morality is not subject, right?
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by LordReed(m): 5:39am On Jul 11, 2023
Steep:
you are going round in circles.
If there is an illogical territory, it means morality is not subject, right?

Your question is unclear. Morality is not subject to what?
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Steep: 7:23am On Jul 11, 2023
LordReed:

Your question is unclear. Morality is not subject to what?
How do you determine logic? What are the parameters?
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by LordReed(m): 7:49am On Jul 11, 2023
Steep:

How do you determine logic? What are the parameters?

You have the internet at your disposal, you look up the laws of logic yourself.

Start here: https://www.britannica.com/topic/laws-of-thought
Re: Where SHOULD Morality Come From? by Steep: 8:35am On Jul 11, 2023
LordReed:

You have the internet at your disposal, you look up the laws of logic yourself.

Start here: https://www.britannica.com/topic/laws-of-thought
This doesn't answer the question.
Logic deals with what is true or not, what constitute contradiction or not, it does not determine what is moral.

For example,
Mr A has an old rich grandfather who is sick,
Is it logical for Mr A to kill his grandfather and take his wealth, after all his grandfather is old and sick, doing so would.
1. End the misery of grandfather
2. Stop further medical expenses
3. Allow hi focus on his life.

Is logical?
Is it morally right?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Really Is Qualify For Heaven / The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold / Pastor Sign Fireman Calls Enebeli Enebuwa A Liar!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.