Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,339 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold (476 Views)

The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold / Prophetess Wields Gun While Praying In Tongues In Church (Video) / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by joewychampion(m): 2:46pm On Sep 10, 2023
The question of speaking in tongues is a hotly-debated issue within the church, one that often elicits strong emotions from both sides of the debate. Therefore, in settling this question, we have endeavored to provide a comprehensive and detailed answer, based on scripture, and addressing the most common points and counterarguments.
First, it's critical to recognize that when the Bible uses the term "tongue," it refers to normal, spoken language (e.g., English, Spanish, French, etc.). The word tongue does not mean a strange, non-human sound or utterance. A "tongue" is a real, understandable human language, and therefore the spiritual gift of speaking in tongues always involves speaking a real, human language, complete with syntax, vocabulary, and sentence structure.
The gift of tongues never involves making gibberish sounds or chanting repetitive phrases or nonsense words. A person with the gift to speak in tongues will suddenly begin speaking in a recognizable, human language that the person did not previously know and cannot understand. If that foreign tongue is spoken in the presence of a person who knows that language naturally, then he or she will immediately understand the speech because it is a natural language. If an English-speaking Christian with the gift of tongues is prompted by the Spirit to speak in Spanish, then this person will not understand his or her own speech, which is the essence of the miracle. Nevertheless, anyone who knows the Spanish language could understand the speech perfectly.
You can read more on our blog about this topic by clicking on the link https://edentvseries..com/202...
We can see this important principle evidenced in Acts 2, when thousands of new Jewish Christians began to speak in unknown tongues at Pentecost. In Acts 2:4-8 we see plainly that these "tongues" were normal, human languages that many foreigners in the crowd could understand naturally:

Acts 2:6 And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language.
Acts 2:7 They were amazed and astonished, saying, “Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans?
Acts 2:8 “And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born?
Acts 2:9 “Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
Acts 2:10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
Acts 2:11 Cretans and Arabs — we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God.”

The miracle of that moment was Galileans speaking foreign languages they did not know or even understand. Importantly, notice that visitors from those foreign regions could understand the speech, because it was a true language. The Galileans were NOT speaking in gibberish or made up babbling. They were speaking in a true human language as evidenced by the fact that some in the crowd could understand them naturally. The Galileans spoke in foreign languages they didn't previously know, which is the miracle of tongues.

Since the Bible testifies that authentic speaking in tongues involves speaking a real, knowable language, then the fact that the modern-day practice of "speaking in tongues" involves uttering gibberish or chanting repetitive sounds is clear evidence it is a manmade attempt to imitate a work of God and not a genuine movement of the Spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOY73FChaPE
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by DoWhatThouWilt: 4:45pm On Sep 10, 2023
Interesting. That means anyone today who claims to speak in tongues and is not actually speaking a well known understood language but rather uttering disgusting meaningless gibberish should have their brains checked.

2 Likes

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Emusan(m): 7:32pm On Sep 10, 2023
The most misconceptions about this your post is that you couldn't distinguish between speaking in tongues to pass message to the church and speaking in tongues to communicate personally with God.

The day you will be able to distinguish between these two is the day you'll understand.

joewychampion:
The word tongue does not mean a strange, non-human sound or utterance.

This negate what Apostle Paul says about Tongues.

Since the Bible testifies that authentic speaking in tongues involves speaking a real, knowable language

It's evident you don't understand that scene at Pentecost.

You people will concentrate on just what the languages the people spoke but not what Holy Spirit did.

The Acts 2:4 says "The Holy Spirit took control of everyone, and they began speaking whatever languages the Spirit let them speak."

Notice @underlined, the Holy Spirit chooses to let them SPEAK IN THAT ARRANGEMENT. Which is what the Holy Spirit wants to achieve at that time.

then the fact that the modern-day practice of "speaking in tongues" involves uttering gibberish or chanting repetitive sounds is clear evidence it is a manmade attempt to imitate a work of God and not a genuine movement of the Spirit.

Are you the Holy Spirit who enable people to speak THESE UNKNOWN LANGUAGES before you can conclude to call it gibberish?

Apostle Paul says "If you speak languages that others don't know, God will understand what you are saying, though no one else will know what you mean. You will be talking about mysteries that only the Spirit understands."

So going by your twisted statement, how come someone will speak and still NO ONE ELSE will UNDERSTAND but ONLY THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL UNDERSTAND?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by DoWhatThouWilt: 7:39pm On Sep 10, 2023
Emusan:
The most misconceptions about this your post is that you couldn't distinguish between speaking in tongues to pass message to the church and speaking in tongues to communicate personally with God.

The day you will be able to distinguish between these two is the day you'll understand.

This negate what Apostle Paul says about Tongues.

It's evident you don't understand that scene at Pentecost.

You people will concentrate on just what the languages the people spoke but not what Holy Spirit did.

The Acts 2:4 says "The Holy Spirit took control of everyone, and they began speaking whatever languages the Spirit let them speak."

Notice @underlined, the Holy Spirit chooses to let them SPEAK IN THAT ARRANGEMENT. Which is what the Holy Spirit wants to achieve at that time.

Are you the Holy Spirit who enable people to speak THESE UNKNOWN LANGUAGES before you can conclude to call it gibberish?

Apostle Paul says "If you speak languages that others don't know, God will understand what you are saying, though no one else will know what you mean. You will be talking about mysteries that only the Spirit understands."

So going by your twisted statement, how come someone will speak and still NO ONE ELSE will UNDERSTAND but ONLY THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL UNDERSTAND?

So from what you typed above, the

praprarararararararshashshshshkakjkajajakajajajjablobalalalalalalalal....

that we hear today in over 40,000 different denominations under Christianity with different doctrines and believes is from God's holy spirit, right?

Bruh! I'll have whatever it is you're smoking
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Emusan(m): 8:10pm On Sep 10, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:
So from what you typed above, the

praprarararararararshashshshshkakjkajajakajajajjablobalalalalalalalal....

that we hear today in over 40,000 different denominations under Christianity with different doctrines and believes is from God's holy spirit, right?

Bruh! I'll have whatever it is you're smoking

Are you the Holy Spirit?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by DoWhatThouWilt: 8:14pm On Sep 10, 2023
Emusan:

Are you the Holy Spirit?

So the holy spirit is responsible for causing people in different churches that teach different doctrines to speak in a similar gibberish way like this:

prapra
prashakablamaliboshakakaka

undecided
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Emusan(m): 8:15pm On Sep 10, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:
So the holy spirit is responsible for causing people in different churches that teach different doctrines to speak in a similar gibberish way like this:

prapra
prashakablamaliboshakakaka

undecided

How do you know it's gibberish?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by DoWhatThouWilt: 8:21pm On Sep 10, 2023
Emusan:

How do you know it's gibberish?

Prakashakazakama, loboshazakaprapra.

Does that make sense to you? Is that how God spoke to people in the Bible whenever he wanted to convey a message to them?

Why do you religious fanatics like thinking like someone under the influence of a drug? God gave you people brain to think yet you people lack discernment and keep twisting scripture in favour of your false thinking.

prashalogomamamashakabazakakakaka...that was how God spoke to his prophets right? okay o.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:12pm On Sep 10, 2023
We are now speaking in over 1800 tongues in different countries around the world! smiley
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by DoWhatThouWilt: 9:14pm On Sep 10, 2023
MaxInDHouse:
We are now speaking in over 1800 tongues in different countries around the world! smiley

1800 lies you mean.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:23pm On Sep 10, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:

1800 lies you mean.

Go and settle with your fellow religionists first nah.

I am Maximus one of Jehovah's Witnesses i'm talking about my own religion so speak about yours.

If you're condemning your own religion leave my own out of your troubles we are preaching zealously and industriously teaching throughout the earth in more than 1800 tongues today! smiley
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Maynman: 9:27pm On Sep 10, 2023
Emusan:

?
You said same thing, the coherent languages that these people will speak will be selected by these spirits. The "language" there was talking about known languages not gibberish.
https://www.nairaland.com/7794656/ecstatic-utterances
These books were written in greek, to better understand it, you can try go back there.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by DoWhatThouWilt: 9:27pm On Sep 10, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Go and settle with your fellow religionists first nah.

I am Maximus one of Jehovah's Witnesses i'm talking about my own religion so speak about yours.

If you're condemning your own religion leave my own out of your troubles we are preaching zealously and industriously teaching throughout the earth in more than 1800 tongues today! smiley

grin I have warned you don't you dare stop selling books for those men in Warwick. the day you try that, you see what they will do to you.

Mumu.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:31pm On Sep 10, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:

grin I have warned you don't you dare stop selling books for those men in Warwick. the day you try that, you see what they will do to you.Mumu.

You go cry tire for here! grin

The one and only organization practicing real speaking in tongues you hate with passion {Matthew 24:9} you failed to reconcile with your own people over the matter.

Ọmọ what else do you expect God to do before you know that you're not a Christian in anyway? smiley
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by DoWhatThouWilt: 9:33pm On Sep 10, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

You go cry tire for here! grin

The one and only organization practicing real speaking in tongues you hate with passion {Matthew 24:9} you failed to reconcile with your own people over the matter.

Ọmọ what else do you expect God to do before you know that you're not a Christian in anyway? smiley

grin I just read what you said in a thred that your lords in warwick are not perfect men. why u dey fall their hand naaa!

mumu! are u having second thoughts on your faithful slaves?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:35pm On Sep 10, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:

grin I just read what you said in a thred that your lords in warwick are not perfect men. why u dey fall their hand naaa!
mumu! are u having second thoughts on your faithful slaves?

We are the one and only organization that's practicing speaking in tongues correctly so it's you that's having problems with your fellow religionists over the matter now, we are OK! wink
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by DoWhatThouWilt: 9:37pm On Sep 10, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

We are the one and only organization that's practicing speaking in tongues correctly so it's you that's having problems with your fellow religionists over the matter now, we are OK! wink

One and only but you're having second thoughts on the men who own the organisation?

Who released you fron the the psychiatric hospital you came from? You're not normal at all
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:40pm On Sep 10, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:

One and only but you're having second thoughts on the men who own the organisation? Who released you fron the the psychiatric hospital you came from? You're not normal at all

We are the one and only organization that's practicing speaking in tongues CORRECTLY!

So talk about speaking in tongues and see how we are practically applying it unlike your own churches that you're now condemning! wink
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by DoWhatThouWilt: 9:41pm On Sep 10, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

We are the one and only organization that's practicing speaking in tongues CORRECTLY!

So talk about speaking in tongues and see how we are practically applying it unlike your own churches that you're now condemning! wink

Then never ever speak ill of the men that own your organisation and taught you all you know about God. ediot.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:47pm On Sep 10, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:

Then never ever speak ill of the men that own your organisation and taught you all you know about God. ediot.

I never knew you're FAITHLESS:

DoWhatThouWilt:

Nothing like rapture, Nothing like christ second coming, Nothing like God ending the world will ever happen. Not today, tomorrow, NEVER!

Sorry for disturbing you! cheesy
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by DoWhatThouWilt: 10:06pm On Sep 10, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

I never knew you're FAITHLESS:

Sorry for disturbing you! cheesy

So you are an apostate? I never knew you left your organisation, sorry for bashing you.

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Emusan(m): 8:50pm On Sep 11, 2023
Maynman:

You said same thing, the coherent languages that these people will speak will be selected by these spirits. The "language" there was talking about known languages not gibberish.
https://www.nairaland.com/7794656/ecstatic-utterances
These books were written in greek, to better understand it, you can try go back there.

I never said SPIRITS stop lying against me.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Emusan(m): 8:56pm On Sep 11, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:
Prakashakazakama, loboshazakaprapra.

This is not what they speak, stop lying!

Does that make sense to you?

Whatever they say doesn't make sense to me just as more than 7,000 language speakers all over the world will speak and never make sense to me.

Is that how God spoke to people in the Bible whenever he wanted to convey a message to them?

Yet you'll be claiming you know what speaking in tongues is.

Why do you religious fanatics like thinking like someone under the influence of a drug?

If you've never been under that influence, you won't know how it fills like.
Well I don't do that.

God gave you people brain to think yet you people lack discernment and keep twisting scripture in favour of your false thinking.

You can even say you're the only one with brain.

There are over 7,000 languages in the World.

How many do you understand and can speak?

prashalogomamamashakabazakakakaka...

This is your own writing not what they actually say.

that was how God spoke to his prophets right? okay o.

Go and understand the meaning of speaking in tongues.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Kobojunkie: 9:01pm On Sep 11, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:
Interesting. That means anyone today who claims to speak in tongues and is not actually speaking a well known understood language but rather uttering disgusting meaningless gibberish should have their brains checked.
That is not entirely true at all. Rather that only applies as far as those connected to religious entities. This since the power of Jesus Christ still exists to this day and is forever, even if churchianism is set out to make a farce of it. undecided
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Kobojunkie: 9:02pm On Sep 11, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:
prapra prashakablamaliboshakakaka
undecided
Same gibberish has been emitted by voodoo priests while in trances. Unless this same holy ghost is also responsible for that, religion is indeed nothin but a scam like many continue to insist. undecided

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Maynman: 9:10pm On Sep 11, 2023
Emusan:

I never said SPIRITS stop lying against me.
Spirit*
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Emusan(m): 9:12pm On Sep 11, 2023
Maynman:

Spirit*

Good!
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Maynman: 9:23pm On Sep 11, 2023
Emusan:

Good!
Another name for speaking in tongues is Esctatic Utterances.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Emusan(m): 9:27pm On Sep 11, 2023
Maynman:

Another name for speaking in tongues is Esctatic Utterances.

So how does this invalidate my post?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Maynman: 9:32pm On Sep 11, 2023
Emusan:

So how does this invalidate my post?
Speaking in Tongues as stated in new testament is a known human language
And for the church in corinth.
https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1974/03/ecstatic-utterance-or-foreign-languages
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Emusan(m): 9:37pm On Sep 11, 2023
Maynman:

Speaking in Tongues as stated in new testament is a known human language
And for the church in corinth.
https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1974/03/ecstatic-utterance-or-foreign-languages

AS STATED IN Acts on Pentecost day you mean.

(1) (2) (Reply)

SA Pastor Suffocate Nigerian Lady To Death After He Placed Speaker, Sat On Her S / Christian Films For Sale / The Family Of A Disciple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.