Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car (24009 Views)

Let's Discuss Catalyst Or Car Catalytic Converters! / Car Guzzling Fuel? You Might Need Replacing Your Car Catalytic Converter / Why Do Mechanics And Panel Beaters Always Steal Catalyst In SUV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by wonder233: 12:31pm On Jul 10, 2023
K
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 10, 2023
They are criminals all
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by philipobiz: 12:35pm On Jul 10, 2023
nurey:

I have 20feet container worth of it. May this catalyst stealing favour me and my family grin
Guy. This positive reasoning alone will not help you. I see you post it in almost every thread
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by JOREVA: 12:40pm On Jul 10, 2023
In my own case see what the mechanic did to me

4 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by hardayemmie(m): 12:41pm On Jul 10, 2023
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Edipet(m): 12:50pm On Jul 10, 2023
Government should not allowed any car without catalytic converter to operate. It very harmful to our environment because of some kind air pollution
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Guyman01: 12:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
Whois:
Help with picture of the Catalytic Converter

See how the catalytic converter popularly called INDOMIE by mechanics looks inside your exhaust pipe.
They remove the content and replace it with wire net gauze that looks like mosquito net and you won't know it has been removed because that net gauze muffles the noise

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by ClearFlair: 12:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
Corruption. APC o
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by nurey(m): 12:53pm On Jul 10, 2023
philipobiz:

Guy. This positive reasoning alone will not help you. I see you post it in almost every thread

What to do bro, what to do.
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by momodub: 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2023
Catalytic converters are devices fitted to vehicle exhausts to reduce the amount of dangerous gases emitted. They are often targeted by thieves as they contain valuable metals and can be removed in less than a minute.CC

1 Like

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Mekanus(m): 1:09pm On Jul 10, 2023
The issue is an international problem. Even in America, catalytic converters are stolen on daily basis. Vehicle manufacturers should figure out a way to make it less easy to remove.
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Tbasicme: 1:12pm On Jul 10, 2023
Ruke1989:
The country is a warehouse of millions of degenerate minds and thieves

In addition to this, in Europe they also steal catalyst for it's precious elements inside it
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by philipobiz: 1:12pm On Jul 10, 2023
nurey:

What to do bro, what to do.
Think outside the box. Most things that people do is inside the box. That's why they struggle. It's only a few that are outside the box that are way ahead of the economic problem the world and Nigeria is facing
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by OmoFiditi: 1:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
Kingdemu:
Stop calling buygala and nurey here. One is just a roadside charge and bail lawyer while the other one is a sit-at-home husband. cheesy

LWKMD... grin
Especially buygala..Frustrated tribalistic mugu. grin
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Mayeldah(m): 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2023
Na who no come be thief for this country like this?

Nigeria is a crime scene!
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by tomoregie: 1:21pm On Jul 10, 2023
easy ways for you to lose your catalyst

1: Parking near a Mechanic Workshop - especially when Council/LASTMA are on the prowl looking for cars to tow - some Lagosians often feel it is safe to pay mechanics a small token to look after their car while they go a few streets down to work or have a meeting. All it takes is 30 minutes or less to weld off your catalyst and replace it with wire mesh and other materials to kill the sound change

2: Leaving your car with a mechanic for days or overnight - Same as above, it does not take much to weld it off and replace it with rubbish

3: Leaving your car in public parking owned by Lagos State Government - Same as above

4: Parking at Ijora, Idumota, Agege, Egbeda to go to the market - Same as above

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by nurey(m): 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2023
philipobiz:

Think outside the box. Most things that people do is inside the box. That's why they struggle. It's only a few that are outside the box that are way ahead of the economic problem the world and Nigeria is facing

Thank you for the advice and word of encouragement I am truly grateful 🙏🙏🙏🙏
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by SLOVFO(m): 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2023
bestman09:
Many of us are ignorant of what they use the catalyst for. The reason they steal it is not even to sell to motorist's.

I learnt that people go to Libya and other places to source for these catalysts, which they sell in the black market, to terrorists who use it to produce local bomb.

That's why it's in hot demand. 90% motorists do not know or care if their cars have catalyst

I was wondering about this too. I was wondering why the high demand from r catalyst in the market. There's always a market for it. And I don't believe that car owners are the major buyers of this equipment.

2 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by pacespot(m): 1:29pm On Jul 10, 2023
Give a Nigerian any opportunity to rob you, then you will regret it for the rest of your life.
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by OpulentP: 1:37pm On Jul 10, 2023
Those guys are evil; my personal experience was a bad one, after they removed the catalytic, they now weld the pipe, so, I first notice the gear doesn't change ontime and any long drive I usually return with a leaking/burst exhaust, imaging Lagos Tokunbo car o.

For about six months, I was fixing exhaust, until I met a professional panel beater, who now explain the cause and he get it fix.

Imagine what I have to go through because some people wants to make additional money.

3 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Charly68: 1:38pm On Jul 10, 2023
i have been a victim of the bloody thieves,one of them removed the catalyst of my bmw only to inform me that the car did not come with it ,the issue has affected the car seriously as every attempt to work the car silencer has caused the beautiful ride brain box to pack up twice because of its sensitivity ..to replace it would cost 450k as i was told
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Morbeta11(m): 1:44pm On Jul 10, 2023
I was once a victim, a penal beater at Sangotedu removed mine from my Prado...my car sound changed overnight....mennnnnn, I took it to some Togolese at General paint opposite Abraham Adesanya and it was discovered. That guy saw his late father for my matter. All of them know me know @general paint even when I bring accident cars from Canada or US, my cars parts are always intact. Anybody around Ajah axis that wants to be free from these thieves should take their cars to Koffi. He is an elderly Togolese, superb and honest Penalbeater, he is at General paint.

10 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 10, 2023
I have said it many times and i will keep saying it.

What do you expect of a nation where the government has Zero Humanitarian Plans for her Citizens.

One will be marveled at the Thousands Of Ungodly and Unscrupulous Ways Most Nigerians Makes Money And SURVIVES.

For every Business being done in Nigeria, There is one form or two deceptions manipulations going on underground and behind the Scene. It's extremely HARD to make Big Money ordinarily in Nigeria.

But as for me i'm not marveled anymore because i have dicovered most of the Deceptions and Manipulations in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 10, 2023
JOREVA:
In my own case see what the mechanic did to me

grin grin grin
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2023
There are Godly and Good people in Nigeria.

But unfortunately they aren't up to 5% of the entire Population.

2 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Adewalecr7: 2:04pm On Jul 10, 2023
It does not worth that amount been mentioned
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by BigDawsNet: 2:11pm On Jul 10, 2023
Shey Telsa get catalyst?
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by buygala(m): 2:25pm On Jul 10, 2023
HeartlessMan:
Gazzuzz nurey buygala kingreign and co go get like 3 sacks for house.

angry
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by ChronicGp(m): 2:26pm On Jul 10, 2023
Old news
Next
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by confusedlady: 2:28pm On Jul 10, 2023
Trust nobody when it comes to catalyst
I learnt the hard way from a mechanic named Musa. I left my car overnight with him for minor services and he stole my catalyst and stuffed the silencer with foam and netting from a burnt tyre.
He then sealed it up with the help of a panel beater in his shop. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for him the Car now locked into limp mode and was stuck on gear three.
When he came to my house with sob story of the fact that he did not know what happened, I just got him arrested with the panel beater before the story came out that he stole my catalyst.
In the end the had to produce the spare part dealer they sold the catalyst to.
To cut a long story short they returned the catalyst and fixed the car before it came out of limp mode.
Trust nobody with your car.

10 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by bigiyaro(m): 2:42pm On Jul 10, 2023
GWR should just give the Nigeria the record for THE HIGHEST CONCENTRATION OF CRIMINALS PER SQUARE INCH IN THE WORLD.

4 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by starstaz(m): 2:46pm On Jul 10, 2023
Mine was removed not too long. I saw it and even thanked or overthanked the brilliant Panel beater (in my eyes , he is doing well). Now all I see is smoke coming from my exhaust every seconds.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Most Common Problems With Mercedes-benz Cars / Pictures Of A Lady Riding Okada / Train And Truck Collide In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.