Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,646 members, 7,813,165 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

Ogbe Ika - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ogbe Ika (593 Views)

History Of Agbor And Ika People / Aniocha, Ndokwa, Ika And Oshimilli Are All Igbo's. Please Know Your Origin / Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ogbe Ika by lawani: 9:30pm On Jul 10, 2023
Ogbe ika

II I
I I
II I
II I

Ogbe (Support) on the right and Ika (Limit or boundary) on the left. It is limit acting on support. Support is ruling. It implies the limit or farthest extent of support or alignment. When you give your all for somebody, you are doing Ogbe ika for that person.

An example is how Barbara Bush junior staked her life for myself.

I will stake my life and all my being on him.
This was the Ifa cast for Barbara Bush junior
On the day she agreed to be betrothed anonymously to Akin Lawanson so that her family can dig in to save him from Enoch Adeboye a human ritualist trusted by people as a Pastor and leader of tens of millions of Christians of the RCCG that included Akin Lawanson and his family as at then.

She was asked to sacrifice
She listened to the ritual items and complied.

People of the world!
It was the sacrifice of Barbara Bush junior that saved Akin Lawanson from being killed by the very people he trusted led by the evil clergy man!.

No woman has ever been more wife to any man like Barbara Bush is wife to Akin Lawanson

If Ogbe Ika appears to a query of what should I do?. It means give total support, do your best and etc.

I want to craft a Yoruba proverb into Ogbe Ika as follows

EMI ni ngo je ki obe Yi dun
A difa fun Akere
Ti nse elegbe lehin eni to nse obe
Won ni ko rubo
O gbebo o rubo
Akere ni 'Kaka ki ohun ma dun be yi, ti apa ti itan oun lo ma run si!'.

I will make this stew palatable
This was the Ifa cast for Akere (The Crab).
The helper of the stew chef
It was asked to sacrifice
It listened to the ritual items and complied.
Akere said 'Rather than not succeed in making this stew palatable my arms and legs will crumble in it!'

The formulated story is about a common proverb talking about how the crab goes into the stew whole and by the end of making the stew, it's arms and legs are always crumbled into the stew. Observers over time inferred that the crab lost those limbs during it's efforts to make the stew palatable!

Ogbe ika was cast for Colonel Adekunle Fajuyi late former governor of the Western state of Nigeria as what to do for the visiting head of state of Nigeria General Ironsi who Army mutineers came to arrest during the coup detat of 1966. Northern coup plotters wanted to arrest and execute the head of state while he was the guest of the governor of the Western state of Nigeria, Governor Fajuyi said No that it will not happen in Ibadan. It was said that people like late General Muritala prostrated to beg him to let them have their way but he bluntly refused. He was killed execution style along with General Ironsi by the Northern mutineers. He gave his life trying to save his boss, General Aguiyi Ironsi. Ogbe Ika was what he did for General Ironsi. The Ifa was cast for him as what to do for his boss and he sacrificed.

Ogbe Ika was cast for the Olu Ibini as a destiny because the Olu Ibini was born a King as the first son of the reigning Benin King. Someone born as a King was dealt a special card from heaven and that is the farthest extent of support one can get.

Ogbe ka rele Omo osin
Ogbe ka rele Omo ora
Ogbe ka rele Omo Ogun le le le ale de!.
A difa fun Olu Ibini
Omo Aroko kan rogodo Tayo
Eniyan ki la la la
Ko la ko rekoja Olu Ibini
Ibi ti won ni a o fi ola mo

Ogbe let's go to the house of Omo osin (Reared children)
Ogbe let's go to the house of Omo ora (bought children)
Ogbe let's go to the house of children of Ogun (innovators), let us hurry and get there before dusk (Before he dies).
This was the Ifa cast for the Olu Ibini
The one who was dealt a special card to play with
No one can be so successful/aligned
As to be more successful than the Olu Ibini
Theirs shall be the limit of success.

The story also apply to all princes born to be a monarch, for example the next in line to the British throne/Head of the British common wealth etc.

If you are born under this ODU as your destiny, then you are a person that will achieve things as if you were the one that put it there. People will do their best for you. An obvious taboo is don't pick fights because people's general disposition is to help you. Avoid thinking anyone does not like you. You will get things easily that people struggle for and etc etc

Ela boru Ela bo ye Ela bo sise
Re: Ogbe Ika by TemplarLandry: 9:34pm On Jul 10, 2023
Nibo le ti ri awon oro ishembaye wonyi?

1 Like

Re: Ogbe Ika by illicit(m): 9:48pm On Jul 10, 2023
Akere is frog tho

And that line that begins with "Adifa fun..."

Doesn't translate to " This was the ifa cast..."

It's the name of the Babalawo that divinated the odu.... e.g
EMI ni ngo je ki obe yi dun
A difa fun Akere...

Means

I will sweeten this soup is the name of the Babalawo that divined for Akere...

Oodua a gbe wa o

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

What Are Your Views About This? / From Women To Womyn/womin / Rep Your Generation And Share Stuffs Dat Made It Interstin And Memorable...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.