Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,908 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

Childless Marriage By Choice? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Childless Marriage By Choice? (1064 Views)

I’m Fed Up With My Childless Marriage - Wife Tells Court / Lady Mocks Her Friend Who Is Childless After 2 Years Of Marriage / Nigerian Couple Welcome Twins After 27 Years Of Childless Marriage (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Childless Marriage By Choice? by finallybusy: 11:02am On Jul 13, 2023
This is the worst platform online to ask this, however curiosity got the better of me.

With the proliferation of western life in the Nigerian society, are there people choosing to live marriages without children? It seems to be a thing outside our shores. I don’t mean couples unable to bear offspring. I’m referring to those who agree beforehand not to birth.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by mariovito(m): 11:04am On Jul 13, 2023
With the spread of new age ideas, don't be surprised it's already happening within our shores, albeit maybe in those high brow elitist communities.

finallybusy:
This is the worst platform online to ask this, however curiosity got the better of me.

With the proliferation of western life in the Nigerian society, are there people choosing to live marriages without children? It seems to be a thing outside our shores. I don’t mean couples unable to bear offspring. I’m referring to those who agree beforehand not to birth.

4 Likes

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by MS247: 11:07am On Jul 13, 2023
Do you think bobrisky is planning to have a child
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by finallybusy: 11:17am On Jul 13, 2023
mariovito:
With the spread of new age ideas, don't be surprised it's already happening within our shores, albeit maybe in those high brow elitist communities.

I find it hard to understand why someone will lock him/herself into the ball and chain of marriage if children are out of the question. That is unnecessary stress. I understand partnerships. I need more research into the mindset of these folks.

2 Likes

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by finallybusy: 11:18am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:
Do you think bobrisky is planning to have a child
If he doesn’t have already. That guy has slept with many Nollywood females who Nairalanders fantasize about.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by Purvan(m): 11:21am On Jul 13, 2023
Anyone that choose not to have kids has already been brain washed totally by western co'it and feminist values .

I see senseless men now going for vasectomy and young women removing their wombs and adopting stray puppies and kittens.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by finallybusy: 11:24am On Jul 13, 2023
Purvan:
Anyone that choose not to have kids has already been brain washed totally by western co'it and feminist values .

I see senseless men now going for vasectomy and young women removing their wombs and adopting stray puppies and kittens.

Better this than reading stories of women throwing newborns down drains. Not everyone was supposed to have children. Some people find out they hate responsibility a month or two after birthing offspring. The worst part is, the most irresponsible of humans are often the most fertile.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by MS247: 11:28am On Jul 13, 2023
finallybusy:
If he doesn’t have already. That guy has slept with many Nollywood females who Nairalanders fantasize about.

Tonto Dikey grin
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by Kingosytex(m): 11:30am On Jul 13, 2023
As I be the only child wey my mama get, I go come marry and then agree with my wife not to have kids.
Na my mama go lose pass and my ancestors will never forgive me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by mariovito(m): 11:31am On Jul 13, 2023
I had a friend, though out of the country, once was talking about having a vasectomy to spare his from taking pills.

I asked him, what if for any reasons, he decides to have another kid later in life?

There are some stupid ideas that will NEVER cross my mind.

Purvan:

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by finallybusy: 11:33am On Jul 13, 2023
In addition, many newlyweds are forced to marry and have children out of the selfishness of relatives. If given time, I strongly believe some will stay childless — not necessarily married — for a significant period.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by mariovito(m): 11:33am On Jul 13, 2023
Exactly, if we're not procreating and coraising kids, then why are we getting married? Kwana gidan is enough.

Like what's the point of me keeping AA fellow man in my house and feed him and also take care of his responsibility?

finallybusy:
I find it hard to understand why someone will lock him/herself into the ball and chain of marriage if children are out of the question. That is unnecessary stress. I understand partnerships. I need more research into the mindset of these folks.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by finallybusy: 11:35am On Jul 13, 2023
mariovito:
I had a friend, though out of the country, once was talking about having a vasectomy to spare his from taking pills.

I asked him, what if for any reasons, he decides to have another kid later in life?

There are some stupid ideas that will NEVER cross my mind.

It’s a reversible process. The tubes are tied. If he changes his mind, the doctors will untie them. Some people who performed the procedure manage to mistakenly impregnate women. No form of birth control is a hundred percent other than sterilization.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by mariovito(m): 11:36am On Jul 13, 2023
Whether them force you o, or dem nor force you, once you're married , it's expected children will come.

It's okay to defer it for a couple years maybe to achieve certain targets, but it definitely will happen.

The OPs concern is about those who before getting into that marriage have agreed between themselves to not bear kids which is a new age woke doctrine like feminism, LGHDTV, etc
finallybusy:
In addition, many newlyweds are forced to marry and have children out of the selfishness of relatives. If given time, I strongly believe some will stay childless — not necessarily married — for a significant period.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by finallybusy: 11:38am On Jul 13, 2023
mariovito:
Exactly, if we're not procreating and coraising kids, then why are we getting married? Kwana gidan is enough.

Like what's the point of me keeping AA fellow man in my house and feed him and also take care of his responsibility?

Thus was why I opined that this forum was the worst place to ask. I’ll try Reddit later. It’s obvious Nigerians have not reached the point of experimenting with the idea.

3 Likes

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by mariovito(m): 11:38am On Jul 13, 2023
While vasectomies are reversible, the longer it has lasted, the less the likelihood that a child will be conceived.

And also, vasectomies are about 90% effective contraceptive.

finallybusy:
It’s a reversible process. The tubes are tied. If he changes his mind, the doctors will untie them. Some people who performed the procedure manage to mistakenly impregnate women. No form of birth control is a hundred percent other than sterilization.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by mariovito(m): 11:44am On Jul 13, 2023
Lol.

So you be dey find I concur comments.

We are Africans bro, our realities are different from those of the west.

Have you thought to yourself why a remedy like divorce took so long to catch on among our folks?

Have you sampled the opinion of Africans not just Nigerians on their opinion on these new age ideas?

They're not popular in Africa. We're ethnic, cultural and conservative unlike the west that has none of that so they can choose as they please.

And do you think anyone subscribing to new age ideas like LGHDTV or no offspring in marriage is mentally alright?

Those are perversions my dear, going against the natural order.

So you can go to reddit where you'll meet like minds.

finallybusy:
Thus was why I opined that this forum was the worst place to ask. I’ll try Reddit later. It’s obvious Nigerians have not reached the point of experimenting with the idea.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by mariovito(m): 11:47am On Jul 13, 2023
Guy, which married couple throw offspring in the drain?

Is your back not aching? you're reaching.

finallybusy:
Better this than reading stories of women throwing newborns down drains. Not everyone was supposed to have children. Some people find out they hate responsibility a month or two after birthing offspring. The worst part is, the most irresponsible of humans are often the most fertile.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by Klass99(f): 12:26pm On Jul 13, 2023

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by Klass99(f): 12:56pm On Jul 13, 2023

5 Likes

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by jmoore(m): 1:32pm On Jul 13, 2023
Not in Nigeria. Anyone that says he/she have seen is a liar.

What you will see are old widowers married to old widows, both already have grown up children from their previous marriages.

1 Like

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by Proserpina: 2:16pm On Jul 13, 2023

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by shege45: 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2023
Purvan:

but isn’t it their choice?

1 Like

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by shege45: 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kingosytex:
As I be the only child wey my mama get, I go come marry and the agree with my wife not to have kids.
My ancestors will never forgive me.
but it’s your choice. Others might have a different view

2 Likes

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by Childfree: 3:09pm On Jul 13, 2023
finallybusy:

Personally I have not come across a married either online or offline. However there are people (singles) whom are Nigerians, living in Nigeria with this mindset. I've seen and even made contact with many.

Search on nairaland.
Search for childfree groups on Facebook you would see Africans/Nigerians within the groups.

Yeah even in the west it is not that common let alone in Nigeria.

PS: i am one.
I don't know for others but I wasn't influenced by anyone or any western shit. I had the decision and mindset even before I came and realize there are people like me out there.

The term use to refer this set of people is CHILDFREE

2 Likes

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by Childfree: 3:27pm On Jul 13, 2023
finallybusy:

Companionship and partnership just like you said. Moreover to marry or not to marry is also a choice. It depends on the individual.

1 Like

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by Childfree: 5:25pm On Jul 13, 2023
finallybusy:

How is it an "experimenting of idea"
It is choice on whether they want to have kids or not.

Having e.g 3 kids, it is an experimentation?

1 Like

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by JeffreyJunior: 5:34pm On Jul 13, 2023
I'm an advocate of one child, Tinubu economy or no Tinubu economy.

Have one child and raise him or her to achieve full potentials in life.

As for me, just one daughter is okay.

1 Like

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by finallybusy: 3:45am On Jul 14, 2023
Benefits of childfree marriage.

Childfree marriage refers to a marital relationship in which the couple consciously decides not to have children. While the decision to have or not have children is deeply personal and subjective, there are several potential benefits that some couples may find in choosing a childfree lifestyle. Here are some of the common benefits associated with childfree marriages:

1. Freedom and flexibility: Couples without children often have more freedom and flexibility in their daily lives. They can make spontaneous decisions, pursue personal interests, travel extensively, and focus on their careers without the responsibilities and constraints that come with raising children.

2. Financial stability: Raising children can be expensive, and choosing not to have children can provide financial stability for the couple. Without the costs associated with childcare, education, healthcare, and other child-related expenses, couples may have more disposable income to invest in their own goals and aspirations.

3. Stronger marital bond: Childfree couples may have more time and energy to invest in their relationship. They can prioritize their emotional connection, spend quality time together, and nurture their partnership. This can lead to a stronger marital bond and increased satisfaction in the relationship.

4. Personal fulfillment: Some individuals find personal fulfillment and happiness in pursuing their own passions, hobbies, and interests. Without the demands of parenting, childfree couples have the opportunity to focus on self-development, personal growth, and achieving their individual goals.

5. Reduced stress and pressure: Raising children can be demanding and stressful, both physically and emotionally. Childfree couples may experience lower levels of stress and pressure, as they do not have to juggle the responsibilities of parenting alongside other commitments. This can contribute to overall well-being and a more relaxed lifestyle.

6. Environmental impact: Choosing not to have children can have a positive environmental impact. By reducing the population growth rate, childfree couples can help alleviate strain on natural resources, reduce carbon emissions, and contribute to a more sustainable future.

It's important to note that these benefits are subjective and may not apply to everyone. The decision to have or not have children is deeply personal, and couples should consider their own values, desires, and circumstances when making this choice.

Source: ChatGPT.

At the end of the day, the concept makes a lot of sense. A few users said it is done by choice. I agree with them. If many couples chose to stay childfree for say five years, men mostly would know if they made the right pick for a partner.

This was not aimed at spreading any “woke, western, LGBTQ” propaganda. I created the topic out of curiosity. I am wiser for it.
Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by Childfree: 9:43am On Jul 14, 2023
finallybusy:

Source: ChatGPT.

At the end of the day, the concept makes a lot of sense. A few users said it is done by choice. I agree with them. If many couples chose to stay childfree for say five years, men mostly would know if they made the right pick for a partner.

This was not aimed at spreading any “woke, western, LGBTQ” propaganda. I created the topic out of curiosity. I am wiser for it.

I think you are mixing things up.

When you say couples should stay for 5years before having kids. The 5 years period even though they didn't birth a child if am correct you are implying since the couples don't have or own a child within the period it means they are childfree?

That context is not what the childfree connotes.

When you say childfree, it means never to have children. It is made by individuals or couples.

Additionally, Childlessness refers to a situation where couples who are interested or would like to have children however they couldn't due to some reasons e.g medical reasons

Down is what childfree is.

Re: Childless Marriage By Choice? by finallybusy: 11:29am On Jul 14, 2023
Childfree:

I think you are mixing things up.

When you say couples should stay for 5years before having kids. The 5 years period even though they didn't birth a child if am correct you are implying since the couples don't have or own a child within the period it means they are childfree?

That context is not what the childfree connotes.

When you say childfree, it means never to have children. It is made by individuals or couples.

Additionally, Childlessness refers to a situation where couples who are interested or would like to have children however they couldn't due to some reasons e.g medical reasons

Down is what childfree is.
The truth is, how many people actually want to stay childfree? It is a small number. Some couples decide to stay childfree because one partner can’t envision having children for the other. In the case of divorce, that same childfree person jumps to making children.

There is no other word to define a five year waiting experience. It is childfree until the woman gets pregnant. If the male partner dies before the agreement expends, a true childfree marriage occurred.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sex And Marriage / He Found Out Dat All His Children Isnt His Except: / Does She Still Love Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.