Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This (4187 Views)

Will Igbos Take The Bait? / Can Igbos Or Hausas Produce Deputy Governor Of Lagos By 2027 / Can Igbos Get This- Apc Will Only Lose Election In SE Or SS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by XerXers: 1:49pm On Jul 14, 2023
Styluss:
I dont understand!
Who has such mentality
Lol. The people wailing na
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by XerXers: 1:49pm On Jul 14, 2023
Jagungidi:

Because you people are refugees all over Nigeria
Unadventurous cowards
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by XerXers: 1:50pm On Jul 14, 2023
DaddyCoool:

Sooo, why did they do coup (according to you!)
Awolowo did the coup as northerners frustrated him using akintola
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by XerXers: 1:52pm On Jul 14, 2023
Maize247:
You are not getting it. Yoruba language is compustry in secondary school own by state government but they do not force it on Federal government University like Igbo did
Igbo has a department in both UI and UNILAG. oya cry about that one too
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by Styluss: 1:56pm On Jul 14, 2023
First to do no dey pain na

XerXers:

Lol. The people wailing na

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by BrutusOj(m): 1:58pm On Jul 14, 2023
2022Frustrated:
This is all shades of wrong. Not the University imposing a local language on the students in a Federal University.

I hope all Federal universities in Nigeria take a cue and implement a compulsory GST course on the prevalent language in their area. ABU Zaria should implement mandatory Hausa GST, Unilag shoul implement mandatory Yoruba GST, Unical should implement mandatory Efik etc
We will end up having only Igbos in federal universities in the east, Yorubas in federal universities in the west, Hausas in the federal universities in the core north and the trend spread to other regionns. I am just imagining an Idoma man studying tiv language cos he is in Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi.

They should stop this nonsense as the aims of this will be defeated at the end cos lecturers will still be sorted to pass the GST. Implementing something like this at the primary and secondary levels is a welcome development as most parents are failing in this regards. Use of English in a family discussion is becoming greatly depriving the younger generation of their mother tongue. This must be looked into by various states educational boards.

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by Styluss: 1:59pm On Jul 14, 2023
While I was in school Yoruba was optional.
But since majority are Yoruba, we all do it even our igbo friends in secondary school all enrolled. Funny enough They scored higher than us even in yoruba
Maize247:
You are not getting it. Yoruba language is compustry in secondary school own by state government but they do not force it on Federal government University like Igbo did

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 14, 2023
XerXers:

Unadventurous cowards

Very accurate way of describing yourself and other igbo people, una sabi run die 🏃🏾‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by DaddyCoool: 2:04pm On Jul 14, 2023
XerXers:

Awolowo did the coup as northerners frustrated him using akintola

🤔 Hmmm, this is a brand new theory. But Awo was in jail at the time...
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by XerXers: 2:04pm On Jul 14, 2023
Styluss:
First to do no dey pain na

Shebi the one you de do us you de call am victim mentality if we complain? Even Peter Obi wey no be president congratulated one Igbo award winner una cry but Tinubu wey be president appointment yorubas and you call it victim mentality when we complain
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by XerXers: 2:06pm On Jul 14, 2023
DaddyCoool:

🤔 Hmmm, this is a brand new theory. But Awo was in jail at the time...
He plotted from jail. Ifeajuna is his boy.
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by XerXers: 2:07pm On Jul 14, 2023
Jagungidi:

Very accurate way of describing yourself and other igbo people, una sabi run die 🏃🏾‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️
grin

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by XerXers: 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2023
BrutusOj:
We will end up having only Igbos in federal universities in the east, Yorubas in federal universities in the west, Hausas in the federal universities in the core north and the trend spread to other regionns. I am just imagining an Idoma man studying tiv language cos he is in Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi.

They should stop this nonsense as the aims of this will be defeated at the end cos lecturers will still be sorted to pass the GST. Implementing something like this at the primary and secondary levels is a welcome development as most parents are failing in this regards. Use of English in a family discussion is becoming greatly depriving the younger generation of their mother tongue. This must be looked into by various states educational boards.
Lol, no be we tell una to restrict unaselves. Igbos will happily offer native languages outside Igboland and score A. We have already learned almost all languages in Nigeria through trade
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2023
XerXers:

grin

Born and bred in Lagos , yea I will kill you on top Lagos gba beh!

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by DaddyCoool: 2:10pm On Jul 14, 2023
XerXers:

He plotted from jail. Ifeajuna is his boy.

Hmmm. It is possible. Is there a log of communication between them?
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by Styluss: 2:15pm On Jul 14, 2023
You can check my previous comments, I am not in support of any of the aforementioned. My point is you dont use a wrong to judge a wrong. What you have done in your region is wrong but as usual, we have to find a reason for it
The victim mentality will always come to play
XerXers:

Shebi the one you de do us you de call am victim mentality if we complain? Even Peter Obi wey no be president congratulated one Igbo award winner una cry but Tinubu wey be president appointment yorubas and you call it victim mentality when we complain

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by babydioku(f): 2:46pm On Jul 14, 2023
Yorubas and hypocrisy. As if they don't do the same in their universities
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by Maize247(f): 3:58pm On Jul 14, 2023
Henceforth, 6 credit including Yoruba will be the requirement for getting admission into any university in the SW

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:15pm On Jul 14, 2023
Maize247:
And Igbos like Universities outside their region

Igbos are much more populous and more knowledge seeking than you think.

Igbos populate their universities, the remaining spill over elsewhere in Nigeria and beyond.

It's not a case of liking universities away from home. Don't be ridiculous
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by Validated: 4:32pm On Jul 14, 2023
Christistruth03:

They don't have to go to Court

They can just do the same in Lagos

It has been on in Lagos, even private schools. My children took Yoruba in both Methodist High Schools, no issues.

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by LikeAking: 4:35pm On Jul 14, 2023
Very bad.
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by DaddyJapan(m): 4:45pm On Jul 14, 2023
Maize247:
Every Nigerians studying in this Federal University, Alex Ekweme University, Emboyi must write Igbo Language as a GNS course, this is compustry and not elective whether you like it or not regardless of your tribe.

Can Igbos keep silent on this if any Federal University in the SW makes Yoruba language a GNS in Unilag, UI or any other University Yoruba land.

I don't see what the hullabaloo is.

Learning the Igbo language can only help foster a better understanding of culture and history.
In fact, I would encourage at least one or two higher institutions across all six geographical zones to institute the same requirement.
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by Maize247(f): 7:08pm On Jul 14, 2023
DaddyJapan:

I don't see what the hullabaloo is.

Learning the Igbo language can only help foster a better understanding of culture and history.
In fact, I would encourage at least one or two higher institutions across all six geographical zones to institute the same requirement.

Learning Igbo and making it compustry in federal University is the highest level of callousness
Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by Perfectbeing(m): 11:58am On Sep 14, 2023
Today LASU has made Yoruba language a mandatory course.
I hope those that supported what Alex Ekwueme Uni did won't wait.

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekweme Federal University: Can Igbos Take This by ValarDoharis: 1:51pm On Sep 14, 2023
Learning the local language makes you as a non indigene bilingual which has tremendous advantages
Maize247:
Every Nigerians studying in this Federal University, Alex Ekweme University, Emboyi must write Igbo Language as a GNS course, this is compustry and not elective whether you like it or not regardless of your tribe.

Can Igbos keep silent on this if any Federal University in the SW makes Yoruba language a GNS in Unilag, UI or any other University Yoruba land.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Onuigbo Decries Impact Of Climate Change On Food Security / Hurray Finally Price Of Food Stuff Now Stepping Down / IPOB , Biafra , Amaka Ekwo(hardcorebiafran) Trending In The USA.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.