Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT (25292 Views)

60-Year-Old Fake Doctor Treating COVID-19 Patients Arrested In FCT / Policemen Without Face-Masks Try To Arrest Man For Not Wearing Face Mask In FCT / Somuvie Sonia Cleans Up Jabi Lake To Safeguard Water Bodies, Reduce Dumps In FCT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by FRANKOSKI(m): 10:52am On Jul 14, 2023
I WAS HOSPITALIZED ONCE WHEN I WAS 13. THANK YOU LORD JESUS CHRIST .
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Angelfrost(m): 10:56am On Jul 14, 2023
Op.... It's going to get WORSE!

Many more health workers are currently on the stream to depart to Canada, Australia, Saudi Arabia, UK, and other nations as we type here!

The ones still remaining are here due to lack of funds to join their colleagues... Once their money is complete, they are fleeing too!

4 Likes

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by batistutajulio: 10:58am On Jul 14, 2023
Mindlog:

The reality is that condition of service is very poor, I know my skill sets in Clinical Child Psychology is needed direly in Nigeria but I can't imagine myself working in Nigeria......pay is poor, facilities below standards until I decide to open my own facility and the truth is, it is going to be high end which majority can not afford because it is very expensive to set up, setting up a world class sensory room for autistic children will cost nothing less than N25m, so you can imagine how much a child would be charged per hour in it.

How do you effectively run a business like this when people are poor and cannot afford healthcare services in Nigeria?
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Benwems(m): 10:58am On Jul 14, 2023
Deeprooted:

More workers should be employed

Lol… some of those hospitals have ghost doctors as employees. The issue is corruption should be tackled. On the staff list there would be 10 doctors but higher or senior doctors will leave the job for most junior doctors (1 or 2 doctors) to do. Then ignorant Nigerians will be blaming government.
Even the money give by government to run and fund the hospital is stolen by the CMD.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by ColdHunter(f): 10:58am On Jul 14, 2023
zeemahn:

UATH?

His 4th and 5th paragraph can never be UATH. Other points raised applies to all government hospitals.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by odenkirk: 11:00am On Jul 14, 2023
thats why i use google for my treatments

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by ITbomb(m): 11:04am On Jul 14, 2023
Even if dem sick, Nigerians no dey go hospital, na carry dem dey carry dem enter hospital
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Angelfrost(m): 11:05am On Jul 14, 2023
Rayban25:

youre not making any sense at all. so they should stay in a country that pays them peanuts and still take them for granted? this your comment no follow at all.

Don't mind him... To speak truth to power is so difficult for most Nigerians! Cowards!

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Mindlog: 11:06am On Jul 14, 2023
batistutajulio:

How do you effectively run a business like this when people are poor and cannot afford healthcare services in Nigeria?

The sad truth is that only the rich can afford it for their children and that is where government at all levels needs to be involved in, so it can be highly subsidized.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by froxydydx: 11:08am On Jul 14, 2023
If you need a fairly good health care at an affordable rate, jejely locate any military hospital around you and register your family. Military medical facilities (army, navy & air force) got no time for your money. Their doctors doesn't japa because they are military men and women.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Zezco(m): 11:08am On Jul 14, 2023
Haba, that means millions of mosquitoes have bitten the person you went to visit.
Obakoolex:
Sincerely speaking the kind of mosquitoes you encounter in government hospitals compared to those at home can be likened to CIA vs amotekun grin

I went to check someone at a government hospital and I was bitten by at least 500 mosquitoes within 45 minutes grin grin
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by batistutajulio: 11:08am On Jul 14, 2023
Mindlog:

The sad truth is that only the rich can afford it for their children and that is where government at all levels needs to be involved in, so it can be highly subsidized.

I'm working on building my health startup, in application development phase. Subsidy is part of what I consider will make it easy for people to access the service.

What could be challenge or reason why the government has not involve itself in helping to subsidize health care services for the populace?
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by descarado: 11:11am On Jul 14, 2023
Confiture:
I've experienced such before in a popular teaching hospital in Nigeria. Most nurses are rude, and brain drain is really affecting our hospitals. Government needs to do something about it.
Nurses are rude for a reason though its unethical.
They are over stretched and poorly paid.
It happens everywhere.
The problem is the govt don't care.
Nurses need therapy but they don't get it.
Nurses and doctors in Nigeria are the most underpaid and over worked in this world. And their welfare is zero. They pass aggression to patients.
In a sane environment when you are burned out, you take a break. Who does that in Nigeria?

Go to good private hospital where they are treated like human and see the hospitality of these people.
Give them a break. No wonder they are migrating in thousands.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Kaptainkoko: 11:12am On Jul 14, 2023
Deeprooted:
After the declaration of state of emergency in the agricultural sector, our health sector needs such immediate attention.

I was in a public health center in the federal capital territory and my experience was not good.

First is the attitude of the health workers. These people need to be given orientation on how to relate with people. They insult patients, very rude and lack empathy.

Secondly, my perspective changed when I see the level of work these guys were handling. A single doctor on call attending to 83 patients! The doctors and nurses are obviously worn out, hence their attitude ( not a justification though)

I sheded tears for 3 children brought in but could not get the attention of the doctor because she was clearly tired and completely worn out. She was the only one in the entire Emergency Paediatric Unit (EPU).

I then saw why most of my doctor friends left the country.

If you're healthy, you don't know what God is doing for you.

More health workers are urgently needed but I was informed that no new doctors were employed in the last few years back despite the departure of most consultants from the country.

Pray you don't fall sick!

Big prayer 🙏 🙌
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Angelfrost(m): 11:14am On Jul 14, 2023
kingthreat:

I have left my father's roof while you were still sucking breasts.
The brain drain should not be encouraged. Or should all Nigerians be condemned to bad health? Seems you have some kind of evil in you that gets you excited when Nigerians die because of bad healthcare in the country.
I also said government is the biggest culprit. They should act fast and Tinubu should stop traveling abroad. The equipment and doctors treating him in France should be imported to Nigeria.

When you say "the brain drain should not be encouraged", who is encouraging the brain drain?!! Citizens or Corrupt leaders?!!

Truth be told, most Nigerian professionals leaving the nation would rather not do so if the system were not half as bad as this!

A functional system that caters to welfare and security would never see people leaving and fleeing in such shocking numbers!

This was why the conduct of the last elections as well as the attitude of most voting Nigerians really disappointed many of us!

Go to Lebanon, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc, a lot of their top brains have long departed the nation! What would they be staying back for?!! To suffer in service while politicians loot the nation dry! Nah!!!

This Brain drain has been loading for over a decade now...! The fact that none of us, from leaders to citizens, raised this alarm since shows that we deserve this current ugly situation!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Jman06(m): 11:14am On Jul 14, 2023
Falling sick is inevitable for everyone, if not now it could be at old age. If not you personally your loved ones could be involved.

That is why it is important that we all hold our leaders to account as to getting our healthcare system functional.

Health sector is one area a sensible government should never allow political games interfere with progress.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by descarado: 11:15am On Jul 14, 2023
Mindlog:

The reality is that condition of service is very poor, I know my skill sets in Clinical Child Psychology is needed direly in Nigeria but I can't imagine myself working in Nigeria......pay is poor, facilities below standards until I decide to open my own facility and the truth is, it is going to be high end which majority can not afford because it is very expensive to set up, setting up a world class sensory room for autistic children will cost nothing less than N25m, so you can imagine how much a child would be charged per hour in it.
If you go to good private hospital where they are paid well with facilities top notch, you will respect these people cos they will hive you their best service. When we keep on recycling the same people and some think it's an ethnic supremacy war or they have the money to travel out, why will they care.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by ibinaboonline: 11:17am On Jul 14, 2023
There's always a Nigerian to lighten the mood. I laughed inspite of my sadness over this news.
Obakoolex:
Sincerely speaking the kind of mosquitoes you encounter in government hospitals compared to those at home can be likened to CIA vs amotekun grin

I went to check someone at a government hospital and I was bitten by at least 500 mosquitoes within 45 minutes grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by LUAN(m): 11:19am On Jul 14, 2023
I had a similar experience when I took my mom to A/E ward last two years, only one doctor and few nurses attending to all the patients in the ward, the rest of the doctors only come for visit. Like 8 people go dey die everyday
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by occfx: 11:21am On Jul 14, 2023
Deeprooted:
After the declaration of state of emergency in the agricultural sector, our health sector needs such immediate attention.

I was in a public health center in the federal capital territory and my experience was not good.

First is the attitude of the health workers. These people need to be given orientation on how to relate with people. They insult patients, very rude and lack empathy.

Secondly, my perspective changed when I see the level of work these guys were handling. A single doctor on call attending to 83 patients! The doctors and nurses are obviously worn out, hence their attitude ( not a justification though)

I sheded tears for 3 children brought in but could not get the attention of the doctor because she was clearly tired and completely worn out. She was the only one in the entire Emergency Paediatric Unit (EPU).

More health workers are urgently needed but I was informed that no new doctors were employed in the last few years back despite the departure of most consultants from the country.

Bro did you just enter Nigeria? Nurses attitude is not new thing na because, most of them were forced to be there.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by solid3(m): 11:23am On Jul 14, 2023
Hold the people at the hospital management board responsible. They pay nurse 50k in Abuja hostiptals and pay doctors 80k. They deceive them that they will regularise their employment and they are left on that salary for up to 8 years, no benefit no salary increment. Go and verify.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 14, 2023
Rich4god:
Sometimes the issue with our public hospitals doesn't entirely lie on the ground workers, but on top officers of the hospital. When you have a hospital where patients troop in numbers, it doesn't take rocket science to know that more hands are needed to ensure that patients are attended to as soon as they arrive. The top people in the hospital know but they won't employ. Some times they will employ ghost workers and embezzle salary.

In most of our public hospitals, you will see a patient who is almost dying waiting on a very long cue just to see a doctor and sometimes at the end of the day the patient in that state might likely not see the doctor again.

The top management knows and sees this, but no one's cares because people who get the top jobs got there through connection and are sure no one will sack them or query them.

Your comment is laced with a very glaring and disturbing measure of ignorance.

Any sensible human should notice that you just gave a vague opinion on the issue so you can at least be counted amongst the contributors.

Where did you get the information that health and medical practitioners are employed by "top hospital officials", especially in public health facilities?
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by iHateFraudsters: 11:28am On Jul 14, 2023
Ogbeni, all the doctors don japa

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by ItisWell22(f): 11:29am On Jul 14, 2023
hspda:

It would baffle you when you check payroll for that hospital and you see lots of doctors collecting salaries,but they only work in their private hospitals

How much are these salaries compared to the risks these doctors and health workers are exposed to, the family responsibilities they have, as well as expectations and sacrifices put into their training? 😏🤔🧐

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by 18wheeler: 11:29am On Jul 14, 2023
You scaring me bro. I’m presently in a hospital for treatment.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by drololaaof: 11:32am On Jul 14, 2023
Deeprooted:

You have stated clearly the problem of man power which is very important, how do you expect one person to attend to more than 50 patients on emergency, the stress is much.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by JohnBullMySon: 11:33am On Jul 14, 2023
nairalanda1:

It is not a racket.

In developed countries, a common phenonenom with hospital operations are long waiting lists at government run hospitals FOR non-emergency operations. Because health care is cheaper, the waiting list is longer. They too have the option of going private, but that is very very expensive (especially in the USA).

As an insider, I am surprised it is happening in Nigeria, but at the same time, it is to be expected.

It is because of the cheaper cost of care in government hospitals, that the waiting list is longer. People go to where it is cheaper (With the removal of subsides on petrol, queus at NNPC stations which sell fuel cheaper slightly are longer than private stations).

UK maybe but not US. Although there might be subsidies but the health sector is run by the private sector.

The government runs very few hospitals mostly military and veteran hospitals. Like the hospital the US president and his immediate family uses, Bethesda/Walter Reed is a military hospital.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Jman06(m): 11:42am On Jul 14, 2023
idtiwo:
The best prayer we all need to be praying in this country is for God to bless us to be able to afford good private hospitals when in need of medical attention. Our government hospitals are nothing but places where human beings are left to die when sick. Years back, I lost my mum and a son due to bad medical services being provided in nigerian public hospitals. Thereafter, i vowed never to allow any body i know to go to government hospital when they fall sick because if they go,you can never guarantee that they will come back alive.

That is why i dont get bothered when those useless government doctors go on strike becuase even when they are not on strike, all they do is to kill patients in their hospitals.
Most private hospitals in Nigeria are even worse! I recently lost an in-law in one of such private hospitals. The man was wrongly diagnosed and treated until his condition got worse before he was referred to a government teaching hospital where the right diagnosis was done but before then things had gotten out of hands.

As it is today, public hospitals especially teaching hospitals remain the best because there can be more scrutiny there if our leaders would do the right thing. Most private hospitals in Nigeria are slaughter houses where all manner of malpractices take place without checks!
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Deeprooted: 11:44am On Jul 14, 2023
zeemahn:

UATH?

FCT Abuja. Name of the facility was intentionally withheld
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Jman06(m): 11:54am On Jul 14, 2023
When a doctor is working in an environment where he knows that there are alot of independent observers and that regulatory bodies are beaming their searchlights, such doctor would have no choice than do the right thing. That is one advantage the government hospitals have over private ones most of which operate with little or no regulation.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by tommy589(m): 11:55am On Jul 14, 2023
nairalanda1:

It is not a racket.

In developed countries, a common phenonenom with hospital operations are long waiting lists at government run hospitals FOR non-emergency operations. Because health care is cheaper, the waiting list is longer. They too have the option of going private, but that is very very expensive (especially in the USA).

As an insider, I am surprised it is happening in Nigeria, but at the same time, it is to be expected.

It is because of the cheaper cost of care in government hospitals, that the waiting list is longer. People go to where it is cheaper (With the removal of subsides on petrol, queus at NNPC stations which sell fuel cheaper slightly are longer than private stations).

I have no dispute with the waiting list. But my concern here is the cost of tests and surgery which I found out to be cheaper in the private hospital where the patient was later operated. Meanwhile the tests were previously paid for and collected at the government hospitals,but had to start all over again

As an insider,you should know that oftentimes government approved prices is abandoned, and inflated prices of drugs and tests most times is at the discretion of counter clerk.

Are you still saying their is no racket,why is it that health ministries do send people out as undercover to pay for services and get receipts as evidence?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dr Quick Herbal Capsules And Freeflow Herbal Are For Male And Female Infertility / What We Need To Know About Ebola Virus / FG Bars Corpses Of Nigerians From Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.