Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,445 members, 7,830,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address (7021 Views)

Final Written Address: Atiku, PDP Chieftains Arrive PEPC (photos) / Tinubu To Tribunal: Obi/LP's Petition, Final Written Address Is Fiction / Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu/shettima/apc Final Written Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Igwe9(m): 7:48am On Jul 15, 2023
DeLaRue:

No, it isn't and can't be 'gone' just because the petitioners 'push'.

A party to a case can push his line of argument, but it is for the court to interprete the Constitution.

Interpretation of the Constitution is not like proving a fact where the court is to a large extent relying on lawyers for the parties. The constitution reserves the power of Interpretation to the court. Lawyers can only seek to persuade the court.

I also don't believe the 25% issue is substantially challenging. In my view, there's less than a 5% chance that the court will adopt a literal interpretation as that is unlikely to reflect the intention of the makers of the Constitution.

I suspect that is why the President 's lawyers did not waste too much time on it. It's fairly simple.
It's clearly stated in the constitution and APC saying that the FCT minister can be hired and fired at will by the president means that the president must been elected by atleast 25% of those in FCT as stated in the constitution.
All their augments there pointed towards FCT not to be treated as a state, meaning that FCT is different and special.
If FCT is inferior to other States as alluded by them then a special consideration must be given to it as obtained in JAMB with respect to the educational less developed states.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:05am On Jul 15, 2023
tuborme:

That was on a different electoral law

That is in 2022 electoral law
Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Penguin2: 9:08am On Jul 15, 2023
seunmsg:

I’ve wasted a lot of time explaining the part in bold to penguin2 and the other noisy obedients but they have all deliberately chosen to be blind and deaf to reality. The law clearly preempted the possible failure of IREV and made a lot of other alternatives to ensure results are collated and declared.
In other words, you are saying that the law gives INEC the liberty to pick and choose which of the Electoral Laws to obey and which to disobey?

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:10am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

The drug issue was a mere distraction from the petitioners. A way to discredit the respondent. It was never going to be a factor.

Obi's entire petition was just to discredit tinubu,nothing more

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:12am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

You are right. The easiest part for the defense is the drug forfeiture. The defense failed to address the critical issue regarding results manipulation which would have given credence to IREV report. They tried to ignore the fact that results of Rivers and Benue were manipulated. That will be a weak point.

Also the 25% in FCT was a weak defense. If the petitioners push for a literal interpretation, it's gone.

Obi team failed to show how results were manipulated.obi team brought nothing on FCT since they know they won't benefit

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:17am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

If that's the case then there's an issue. But I expect that it shouldn't.

I told you from the start that what you read from social media is different from what is canvassed by obi lawyers.obi lawyers operated on a narrow angle

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:18am On Jul 15, 2023
seunlayi:

Wole did an inconclusive job ..... Forgetting that Tinubu winning margin is narrow and below the vote from those states.....re-run very likely

Wole did a fantastic job except you didn't read it
Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 9:18am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

Obi team failed to show how results were manipulated.obi team brought nothing on FCT since they know they won't benefit
We have been through this before. Obi said he was challenging the results in Rivers, Benue and other states. He only used IREV to show that it cannot be used to settle the dispute due to INEC's non compliance.

As for the issue of FCT, it's a constitutional matter that requires no witness.

I told you there would be a reply after the final address but you argued.

11 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 9:18am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

Obi's entire petition was just to discredit tinubu,nothing more
It was Tinubu that was announced na, what else? It was also to discredit INEC.

6 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:19am On Jul 15, 2023
seunlayi:

There is problem for Tinubu camp... The distraction from other petitions will cost them something huge from the core points they ought to have defended.....oh! They indirectly accepted that truly, election was manipulated in those states.

Low winning margin about to hunt Tinubu down

Funny.obi failed to prove how he won rivers and benue

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:19am On Jul 15, 2023
seunlayi:

He missed the road grin

You missed the road rather son

1 Like

seanfer:

If you follow the proceedings the LP/Obi didn’t do much on those states results.

Gbam.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:20am On Jul 15, 2023
telleyway:

Sounds more like you are not a professional in your field. Else, you should have known that every professional field has its own template that must be followed.
Wale is known for leaving the main substance in the case arming himself with technicalities. Let's see how it all plays out.

Oga,read the post very well

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:22am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

It was Tinubu that was announced na, what else? It was also to discredit INEC.

I thought he came to win his mandate back

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 9:22am On Jul 15, 2023
DeLaRue:

No, it isn't and can't be 'gone' just because the petitioners 'push'.

A party to a case can push his line of argument, but it is for the court to interprete the Constitution.

Interpretation of the Constitution is not like proving a fact where the court is to a large extent relying on lawyers for the parties. The constitution reserves the power of Interpretation to the court. Lawyers can only seek to persuade the court.

I also don't believe the 25% issue is substantially challenging. In my view, there's less than a 5% chance that the court will adopt a literal interpretation as that is unlikely to reflect the intention of the makers of the Constitution.

I suspect that is why the President 's lawyers did not waste too much time on it. It's fairly simple.
I agree with all you posted except your view in the bolded.

I'd say it's 50-50
Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:24am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

We have been through this before. Obi said he was challenging the results in Rivers, Benue and other states. He only used IREV to show that it cannot be used to settle the dispute due to INEC's non compliance.

As for the issue of FCT, it's a constitutional matter that requires no witness.

I told you there would be a reply after the final address but you argued.

You have started with your lies and misinterpretation.i never argued about written address,you are the one arguing.you claimed new facts and new issues would be brought during the address and I told you it is not true that it will be baeed on what happened at the proceedings

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 9:24am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

I thought he came to win his mandate back
That's the goal. And majority of Nigerians are with him on that mandate. We just want a better country. Everything is not japa.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:25am On Jul 15, 2023
Penguin2:

In other words, you are saying that the law gives INEC the liberty to pick and choose which of the Electoral Laws to obey and which to disobey?

Yes esp transmission

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:26am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

I agree with all you posted except your view in the bolded.

I'd say it's 50-50

It is not 50 50.if you look closely at the history of the courts, various rulings and body language there's no way they would rule in favour of the status quo

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:27am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

That's the goal. And majority of Nigerians are with him on that mandate. We just want a better country. Everything is not japa.

So winning his mandate is by discrediting tinubu in the media instead of showing how he won

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by ggood: 9:32am On Jul 15, 2023
Inec is a criminal institution
Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 9:35am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

You have started with your lies and misinterpretation.i never argued about written address,you are the one arguing.you claimed new facts and new issues would be brought during the address and I told you it is not true that it will be baeed on what happened at the proceedings
No you are now lying. You said the issue of FCT was not brought up and so would not be part of the judgement.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 9:37am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

So winning his mandate is by discrediting tinubu in the media instead of showing how he won
It's part of it. Tinubu too used negative propaganda to discredit Obi. The difference is that Tinubu has a lot of skeletons in his cupboard and so is a very easy target for discredit.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 9:39am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

It is not 50 50.if you look closely at the history of the courts, various rulings and body language there's no way they would rule in favour of the status quo
You are on your own on this.

The constitution is written in simple English and so a literal interpretation comes first before application of any other methodology.

I only said it's 50-50 because of my lack of confidence in the judiciary.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:44am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

You are on your own on this.

The constitution is written in simple English and so a literal interpretation comes first before application of any other methodology.

I only said it's 50-50 because of my lack of confidence in the judiciary.

The intendment of the framers is what will matter not what is written

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:44am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

It's part of it. Tinubu too used negative propaganda to discredit Obi. The difference is that Tinubu has a lot of skeletons in his cupboard and so is a very easy target for discredit.

Good.after they case,he will come for obi surely

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by garfield1: 9:46am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

No you are now lying. You said the issue of FCT was not brought up and so would not be part of the judgement.

No,I never said so.theres no need to even bring any evidence as the judges have made their minds already

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 9:54am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

No,I never said so.theres no need to even bring any evidence as the judges have made their minds already
Cool. cool
Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by MrSinister(m): 9:55am On Jul 15, 2023
00FFT00:
END.
That's all she wrote folks!

Hmmm...

So there are igbos on Tinubu's legal team. Very interesting...
Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 9:55am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

Good.after they case,he will come for obi surely
That's if and if he wins. Which I doubt. 😂

Baba na bad man. Drug kingpin. Obi will find his way. 😂

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 9:56am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

The intendment of the framers is what will matter not what is written
How's that determined beyond a literal interpretation?

How do you know another person's mind?

6 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 10:14am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

Funny.obi failed to prove how he won rivers and benue
According to urchinns,fortunately you are not the Judges

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? / 2023: One Year Jail Term, ₦‎500,000 Fine Awaits Vote Buyers – INEC / Nigeria Classified Amongst 14 Terrorist Nations - CNN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.