Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,258 members, 7,829,512 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address (7016 Views)

Final Written Address: Atiku, PDP Chieftains Arrive PEPC (photos) / Tinubu To Tribunal: Obi/LP's Petition, Final Written Address Is Fiction / Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu/shettima/apc Final Written Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by AK481(m): 1:38am On Jul 15, 2023
seunmsg:
Brilliant submission in all by Tinubu’s legal team. The petitioners watery case will be thrown out with heavy fine handed down for wasting the court’s time.

What did he say about tinubu drug forfeiture ?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by DoTheNeedful: 2:04am On Jul 15, 2023
AK481:

He addressed the drug issue from every angle possible, and contested even if it were true, it happened 30 years ago. He quoted the constitution where it says criminal conviction could only prevent you for 10 years. I think he gave the best argument against the drug forfeiture. The weakest argument was against 25% in FCT in my opinion.

In all, Wole Olanipekun and co did a great job. I am waiting for Obi's lawyers.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by seunmsg(m): 2:10am On Jul 15, 2023
AK481:

Read the submission.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by seunmsg(m): 2:13am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

Wole took time to tear each witness apart

Took me about 2 hours to finish reading the submission and I’m glad I did. All the allegations were thoroughly trashed from all angles. Wole Olanipekun is a bad ass lawyer.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Unperturbedpota: 2:26am On Jul 15, 2023
seunmsg:

Read the submission.

News flash, Nigerians don't read .

On another note I don't think the rebuttal was convincing enough
. Anyways let's wait for the judges

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Yorubafather: 2:36am On Jul 15, 2023
Unperturbedpota:

News flash, Nigerians don't read .

On another note I don't think the rebuttal was convincing enough
. Anyways let's wait for the judges

Olanipekun is not that good as I expected, not good enough

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Asswipemod: 3:41am On Jul 15, 2023
seunmsg:

Took me about 2 hours to finish reading the submission and I’m glad I did. All the allegations were thoroughly trashed from all angles. Wole Olanipekun is a bad ass lawyer.

Finally, Kadoso Mutairu aka seunmsg has snapped out of the previous depression that made him grumpy much earlier. He wanted to fight me. Hallelujah!😎😆😝😝😝🤪🤪

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Asswipemod: 3:42am On Jul 15, 2023
seunmsg:

Haha! La ise danwo!
Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by WildChild00(m): 4:06am On Jul 15, 2023
DoTheNeedful:
This final address is mentally stimulating. There is a reason why Wole Olanipekun is the best lawyer in Nigeria when it comes to election matters.

That man is brilliant! The address tackled the petition from every angle possible: etymologically, logically and legally. The address, even for the case of argument, assumed some of the petitioners' arguments and still contests the legally and the logicality of those arguments.

Mehn , people are good in this country. I hope LP's lawyers will impress me too.

Is it same Wole that said when someone's international passport expires, such a person is no longer a citizen of that country?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 5:42am On Jul 15, 2023
seunmsg:
Brilliant submission in all by Tinubu’s legal team. The petitioners watery case will be thrown out with heavy fine handed down for wasting the court’s time.
The defense is poor because it misinterpretes the issues raised by the petitioners. If Olanipekun does not know what he is defending he should ask Livy

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 5:45am On Jul 15, 2023
DoTheNeedful:

He addressed the drug issue from every angle possible, and contested even if it were true, it happened 30 years ago. He quoted the constitution where it says criminal conviction could only prevent you for 10 years. I think he gave the best argument against the drug forfeiture. The weakest was argument was against 25% in FCT in my opinion.

The drug issue was a mere distraction from the petitioners. A way to discredit the respondent. It was never going to be a factor.

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 5:49am On Jul 15, 2023
DoTheNeedful:

He addressed the drug issue from every angle possible, and contested even if it were true, it happened 30 years ago. He quoted the constitution where it says criminal conviction could only prevent you for 10 years. I think he gave the best argument against the drug forfeiture. The weakest was argument was against 25% in FCT in my opinion.

You are right. The easiest part for the defense is the drug forfeiture. The defense failed to address the critical issue regarding results manipulation which would have given credence to IREV report. They tried to ignore the fact that results of Rivers and Benue were manipulated. That will be a weak point.

Also the 25% in FCT was a weak defense. If the petitioners push for a literal interpretation, it's gone.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by DoTheNeedful: 5:50am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

The defense is poor because it misinterpretes the issues raised by the petitioners. If Olanipekun does not know what he is defending he should ask Livy

Can you state the issues the defense misinterprets? I spent over two hours carefully reading it and I can't see the misinterpretation. It carefully handles all the points raised by the petitioner. The only area in the defense that doesn't impress me was that of 25% FCT. Every other area was spot on.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 5:54am On Jul 15, 2023
DoTheNeedful:

Can you state the issues the defense misinterprets? I spent over two hours carefully reading it and I can't see the misinterpretation. It carefully handles all the points raised by the petitioner. The only area in the defense that doesn't impress me was that of 25% FCT. Every other area was spot on.

The defense did not tackle the issue of results manipulation in Rivers, Benue, Imo, Lagos etc. and how the court should resolve it. If the petitioners profer their own solution, the hands of the court would be tied. They focused on the use of electronic transmission/transfer Vs manual transmission/transfer. That's not the issue of the petition but rather whether IREV should be used in case of disputes of election results. They did not even mention BVAS report.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by seanfer(m): 6:08am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

The defense did not tackle the issue of results manipulation in Rivers, Benue, Imo, Lagos etc. and how the court should resolve it. If the petitioners profer their own solution, the hands of the court would be tied. They focused on the use of electronic transmission/transfer Vs manual transmission/transfer. That's not the issue of the petition but rather whether IREV should be used in case of disputes of election results. They did not even mention BVAS report.

Don’t forget that the petitioners didn’t make efforts to convince the court about the result manipulations in Rivers, Benue, Imo and Lagos. All they do is dump results sheets on the floor of the court.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Gossiphub: 6:20am On Jul 15, 2023
DoTheNeedful:

BAT’s lawyers address sounds like reading the same lines his supporters have been writing on social media. No detailed or granular analysis of specifics. On forfeiture they are talking 10yrs conviction rule, a matter covered by s137(1)(e); whereas petition dwells on s137(1)d).

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Spy360(m): 6:23am On Jul 15, 2023
seanfer:

Don’t forget that the petitioners didn’t make efforts to convince the court about the result manipulations in Rivers, Benue, Imo and Lagos. All they do is dump results sheets on the floor of the court.
If that's the case then there's an issue. But I expect that it shouldn't.
Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by seunlayi(m): 6:29am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

Wole did an inconclusive job ..... Forgetting that Tinubu winning margin is narrow and below the vote from those states.....re-run very likely

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by tuborme: 6:31am On Jul 15, 2023
garfield1:

Exactly.wole further expanded it by bringing another dimension on diff between transfer and transmit.again,ucha vs elechi 2012 is key

That was on a different electoral law
Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by seunlayi(m): 6:32am On Jul 15, 2023
seanfer:

There is problem for Tinubu camp... The distraction from other petitions will cost them something huge from the core points they ought to have defended.....oh! They indirectly accepted that truly, election was manipulated in those states.

Low winning margin about to hunt Tinubu down

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Gossiphub: 6:33am On Jul 15, 2023
tuborme:

No mind Garfield1.

That's how their SAN took us to 3rd republic in their defense. Forgetting we now have 1999 Constitution as amended.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by seunlayi(m): 6:33am On Jul 15, 2023
tuborme:

He missed the road grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by SpatialKing(m): 6:34am On Jul 15, 2023
I ran a plagiarism test on the writeup
The written response failed the test woefully
This is a work of copy, edit and paste

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by DesChyko: 6:43am On Jul 15, 2023
famology:
After going through this brief, I can say authoritatively that it's over for Peter obi and his obidiotssssss gang. It's a no case!

You also said this before the respondents had the effrontery to present a witness and it was back to reset. All of that big claim and not one person could back their case without dissolving like poorly made salt in the rain. 🥲

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by seanfer(m): 6:51am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

If that's the case then there's an issue. But I expect that it shouldn't.

If you follow the proceedings the LP/Obi didn’t do much on those states results.

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by telleyway: 6:58am On Jul 15, 2023
DoTheNeedful:
This final address is mentally stimulating. There is a reason why Wole Olanipekun is the best lawyer in Nigeria when it comes to election matters.

That man is brilliant! The address tackled the petition from every angle possible: etymologically, logically and legally. The address, even for the case of argument, assumed some of the petitioners' arguments and still contests the legally and the logicality of those arguments.

Mehn , people are good in this country. I hope LP's lawyers will impress me too.

Sounds more like you are not a professional in your field. Else, you should have known that every professional field has its own template that must be followed.
Wale is known for leaving the main substance in the case arming himself with technicalities. Let's see how it all plays out.

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by DeLaRue: 7:09am On Jul 15, 2023
Spy360:

Also the 25% in FCT was a weak defense. If the petitioners push for a literal interpretation, it's gone.

No, it isn't and can't be 'gone' just because the petitioners 'push'.

A party to a case can push his line of argument, but it is for the court to interprete the Constitution.

Interpretation of the Constitution is not like proving a fact where the court is to a large extent relying on lawyers for the parties. The constitution reserves the power of Interpretation to the court. Lawyers can only seek to persuade the court.

I also don't believe the 25% issue is substantially challenging. In my view, there's less than a 5% chance that the court will adopt a literal interpretation as that is unlikely to reflect the intention of the makers of the Constitution.

I suspect that is why the President 's lawyers did not waste too much time on it. It's fairly simple.

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Jostoman: 7:28am On Jul 15, 2023
seunmsg:
Say by nairaland supreme court judge

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Jostoman: 7:28am On Jul 15, 2023
Quack response

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Jostoman: 7:31am On Jul 15, 2023
DoTheNeedful:

quack response from olanipekun anyway he try because its not easy to defend that daylight rubbery

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by Igwe9(m): 7:33am On Jul 15, 2023
Surprisingly, APC in their defense show that FCT is not to be treated as a state of the federation and on the same hand not superior to any state of the federation but failed to oppose where it was mentioned in the constitution that a candidate must get 25% in 2/3 of the 36 states AND FCT.
They also said that FCT has no Governor and other things that the states have, the President and the Law makers oversee the affairs in the FCT and this means that the only way FCT dwellers can contribute on who governs them is through their ballot of which 1/4th must be in support of whoever that's going to emerge.
Re: Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address by id4sho(m): 7:35am On Jul 15, 2023
Balablu bhlu bhlu bulaba tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Afenifere Falae Is Taken By Fulani Kidnappers And Yoruba Do Nothng? Cowards! / Biafra: We Are Igbos – Says Asari Dokubo (see Video) / FIRS To Embark On Nationwide VAT, WHT Compliance Monitoring Exercise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.