Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

What Would You Advise Concerning This - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Would You Advise Concerning This (269 Views)

Can You Advise Someone To Marry In This Room / Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? / What Happens After Marriage? How Would You Advise The Unmarried? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would You Advise Concerning This by Purvan(m): 2:23am On Jul 15, 2023
My mother has a PhD in chemical engineering, yet she has been teaching high school since 2004.
Her skills and expertise are being wasted. I just want to help my mother find fulfillment in her career that align better with her skill set and education level.
When I see my mother working at such a terrible job despite how brillant she is, it hurts me. I'm in great pain.
Re: What Would You Advise Concerning This by Kobojunkie: 2:35am On Jul 15, 2023
Purvan:
My mother has a PhD in chemical engineering, yet she has been teaching high school since 2004.
Her skills and expertise are being wasted. I just want to help my mother find fulfillment in her career that align better with her skill set and education level.
When I see my mother working at such a terrible job despite how brillant she is, it hurts me. I'm in great pain
She has a PhD, yet she does not know what she can do with it, even beginning right there in her own home? undecided

1 Like

Re: What Would You Advise Concerning This by Purvan(m): 3:06am On Jul 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
She has a PhD, yet she does not know what she can do with it, even beginning right there in her own home? undecided

She has applied to numerous firms in the past
But due to racial discrimination, she wasn't accepted.
Re: What Would You Advise Concerning This by Kobojunkie: 3:13am On Jul 15, 2023
Purvan:
■ She has applied to numerous firms in the past
But due to racial discrimination, she wasn't accepted.
She is not in Nigeria? How did you come to conclude that it has to be racial discrimination with all the many companies out there. Are you saying that other black PHD holding chemical engineers are also not being hired by same companies?,undecided
Re: What Would You Advise Concerning This by Purvan(m): 4:02am On Jul 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
She is not in Nigeria? How did you come to conclude that it has to be racial discrimination with all the many companies out there. Are you saying that other black PHD holding chemical engineers are also not being hired by same companies?,undecided

Yea, she's not in nigeria

Some of the companies she applied didn't get back to her , the ones that got back to her told her they've taken another person , my mom found out that people the companies accepted are all white peeps.

1 Like

Re: What Would You Advise Concerning This by Kobojunkie: 4:15am On Jul 15, 2023
Purvan:
■ Yea, she's not in nigeria

Some of the companies she applied didn't get back to her , the ones that got back to her told her they've taken another person , my mom found out that people the companies accepted are all white peeps.
Ask your mom to keep applying abeg. There are lots of black chemical engineers hired each year abeg! undecided
Re: What Would You Advise Concerning This by sisisioge: 6:03am On Jul 15, 2023
2004 to now is like 19yrs ago, right? Your mom is probably not being sidelined because of race but because she doesn't have relevant experience in her field of professional qualification. Even you would be reluctant to hire a PhD without updated experience when your other applicants are only first degree holders with relevant experience. Things change everyday hence the reason professionals are required to recertify their papers/knowledge every 3yrs. Besides, age isn't friendly to her at the moment.

Solution, tell her to:
1. Apply for roles in that field that will expose her to hands-on experience on the lowest level, gather experience then move up according to her qualification.

2. Volunteers to shadow colleagues on the same level for the experience before applying for same roles in the future.

It is well.... Salute to her.

1 Like

Re: What Would You Advise Concerning This by Acidosis(m): 7:58am On Jul 15, 2023
Purvan:
When I see my mother working at such a terrible job despite how brillant she is, it hurts me. I'm in great pain.

What do you mean "her skills and expertise are being wasted"?

How is she wasting her skills if she has been actively teaching since 2004? Ph.D. is not a skill. The racial discrimination thing seems like an excuse you made up in your mind. Not many companies need a Ph.D. holder.

(1) (Reply)

Good Working Washing Machine Needed. / Man Appears After Missing For 20yrs / Have You Tasted Mango This Year?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.