Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,837 members, 7,828,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

How Often Should One Change Car Oil - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Often Should One Change Car Oil (878 Views)

I Change My Car Oil And The Sound Change / I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound / 9 Warning Signs Your Car's Oil & Lubricant Might Be Leaking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Should One Change Car Oil by Dada4me: 1:18pm On Jul 15, 2023
I was at the mechanic workshop last week to fix my power steering belt that cut off when I just decided to Guage the car's oil level only to see that the rod did not touch any oil.

I eventually got 4liter oil asked the mechanic to change it. What was left of the previous one was less than a litre. The engine would have gone for good.

So, how often should a car meant for private use be changed?

Note that I was thinking my oil was changed recently though no longer sure of the time.
Re: How Often Should One Change Car Oil by David50: 2:58pm On Jul 15, 2023
You may or may not have a dodged a bullet there.
Good practice dictates you should check your oil at least once a week. Some even check it every morning which is better.

What's your car model and year?
How long have you owned it and what type of oil have you been using?

4 Likes

Re: How Often Should One Change Car Oil by Day169: 3:05pm On Jul 15, 2023
It would depend on the mileage covered.
Many car manufacturers specify which oil to use and interval of change, and generally recommend an oil change every 8 to 12 thousand kilometres covered but it my be a hard task to follow.
Newer cars have software that notify owners when an oil change is due.
Here in 9ja, if you drive a pre '06 car and use the traditional 20W50 oil, I'll advice an oil change every 2 to 3 months depending on the use of the car.

1 Like

Re: How Often Should One Change Car Oil by Dada4me: 3:22pm On Jul 15, 2023
David50:
You may or may not have a dodged a bullet there.
Good practice dictates you should check your oil at least once a week. Some even check it every morning which is better.

What's your car model and year?
How long have you owned it and what type of oil have you been using?

I use quartz total oil, Mazda 626, five years now
Re: How Often Should One Change Car Oil by David50: 3:33pm On Jul 15, 2023
Dada4me:

I use quartz total oil, Mazda 626, five years now

I would recommend changing every 3000km (not miles).

Also, looks like u either have a serious leak or a serious oil burn problem. Both may require serious attention.
Re: How Often Should One Change Car Oil by Angrygoat: 12:20am On Jul 16, 2023
I changed my oil 4th week of Jan.i drive almost 2 to 3hrs daily.i had some oil leaks which I fixed...lo and behold.byladt month. My oil na black charcoal. I racedwith mobil 1 straight to my mechanic.no time
Re: How Often Should One Change Car Oil by Musty4ahmed1: 5:32pm On Jul 16, 2023
Day169:
It would depend on the mileage covered.
Many car manufacturers specify which oil to use and interval of change, and generally recommend an oil change every 8 to 12 thousand kilometres covered but it my be a hard task to follow.
Newer cars have software that notify owners when an oil change is due.
Here in 9ja, if you drive a pre '06 car and use the traditional 20W50 oil, I'll advice an oil change every 2 to 3 months depending on the use of the car.
Can Engine oil be allowed to get to 4 Months before change since I barely cover 2500km for four months. I use Total Quartz 5000 (20W50) to service my Toyota camry 2001. I don't have oil leak
Re: How Often Should One Change Car Oil by Dada4me: 9:24pm On Jul 16, 2023
David50:

I would recommend changing every 3000km (not miles).

Also, looks like u either have a serious leak or a serious oil burn problem. Both may require serious attention.

You're right, there's oil leak, though just discovering it and it's minor.

Thank you for your insightful engagement
Re: How Often Should One Change Car Oil by Day169: 10:26pm On Jul 16, 2023
Musty4ahmed1:
Can Engine oil be allowed to get to 4 Months before change since I barely cover 2500km for four months. I use Total Quartz 5000 (20W50) to service my Toyota camry 2001. I don't have oil leak
Yes it can..
The time limit is usually 6 months, but more importantly you should check the oil level periodically with the dipstick.
Re: How Often Should One Change Car Oil by Musty4ahmed1: 11:29am On Jul 17, 2023
Day169:

Yes it can..
The time limit is usually 6 months, but more importantly you should check the oil level periodically with the dipstick.
OK Thank you!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Can Anyone Help Out Pls? / Anti Theft Radio Code / Will It Be A Good Idea 2 Use An OBD Device 2 Scan A USED CAR When Buying One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.