Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like (17832 Views)

Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like / Ize-Iyamu: Obaseki Paid PDP Tax Collectors ₦15 Billion For Governorship Ticket / Wike: Some Members Of The PDP NWC Are Tax Collectors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Alpharey: 1:51pm On Jul 17, 2023
Oluomo and his boys. Please come over, we have a meeting. Very important. πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸƒπŸΏπŸƒπŸΏπŸƒπŸΏ
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by delzbaba(m): 1:52pm On Jul 17, 2023
abgero na him una dey glorify laidis?
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by AmazingELixir: 1:52pm On Jul 17, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;

Who can guess the state where the BBC report based their reportage..
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Mayeldah(m): 1:53pm On Jul 17, 2023
MC Oluomo will be laughing at this story.

Tinubu is the originator of 'Agberoo', so he cannot stop it.
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Adalhurv(f): 1:55pm On Jul 17, 2023
obedience4:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66152708

Even beggers pay taxes too. I saw this one at onyingbo market

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by odaniel1(m): 1:55pm On Jul 17, 2023
MrSinister:

They even tax wheelbarrow pushers! So sad.
Now that you mentioned it, i just figured!
Some of these touts really do the most. I used to think that the money belonged to a union (NURTW for instance) but now that i think of it, there isn't any legal direction to this. Free money everywhere with no institution to document or record these funds.
No wonder some of these touts have gone ahead to bear names like yahoo boys because they too have been cashing out!!! grin
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Raskimonojendor: 1:55pm On Jul 17, 2023
Led by new President Bola Tinubu, Nigeria's federal government has vowed to crack down on what it calls "touts, miscreants and self-imposed tax collectors.

But if the plan works, Mr Tinubu's government could then hope to persuade state and local governments to drop their archaic system - something that many Nigerians would welcome as it would free them from the clutches of menacing tax collectors like Mr Nwokuha.
"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66152708
This article actually portrays Tinubu in a good light and manner. Kudos to BBC.

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Matooosa222: 1:57pm On Jul 17, 2023
I read comments for a living
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 17, 2023
N
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by sevo(m): 1:59pm On Jul 17, 2023
I encountered this fvxctards when I was traveling home last year for a burial with my sienna...they said I don't have waste bucket and charged me 35k with impunity as if was their right ..
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by samsard(m): 2:01pm On Jul 17, 2023
ajepako:
That's APC legacy especially in Lagos

I drove around obalende last week and l couldn't but shed tears for my dear state

It's like everybody and l mean everybody is now agbero or ticket collector

From grandfather to fathers to grandsons including women

It's a far cry from the Lagos we were raised in , in the 80s

Shomolu, Fadeyi, Mushin, Onipanu, lyana Oworo, Bariga, Ketu and Ebute meta are even worse

Agberoism seems to have become the ambition of an average drop out and it won't become a societal menace if government is not actively or subtly involved

Asking around, l was told these drop outs and miscreants are allocated hoods, tarmac and spots in strategic suburbs to collect levies and taxes as rewards for their political loyalty during election..

Politicians don't reward them with education to improve their lives or decent jobs to be useful but as ticket collectors while their own progenies study abroad and fill top vacancies in Alausa

Olorun a saanu wa
If only every Nairaland comment was as thoughtful and well thoughtout as yours. The rest of the comments seem to be from people who were raised in anger and hatred & either lack an education or fail to deploy it. Even things which can be analysed outside of key political figures become a Tinubu, Obi issue or even worse a ground for ethnic mudslinging.

2 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by fredoooooo: 2:05pm On Jul 17, 2023
As stopeed as obituarists are without brain I would rather accept their critism than from BBC .
What gave they done about colonisation till date aside invoking more hardship with their colonial masters and collaborators.
How many times did they truly call out Belgium of all the atrocities committed in Congo . They defend them rather ..
BBC should sharap
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Wodu89: 2:10pm On Jul 17, 2023
ajepako:

I drove around obalende last week and l couldn't but shed tears for my dear state

From grandfathers to fathers to grandsons including women

Shomolu, Fadeyi, Mushin, Onipanu, lyana Oworo, Bariga, Ketu and Ebute meta are even worse

Agberoism seems to have become the ambition of an average school drop out and it won't become a societal menace if government is not actively or subtly involved

Asking around, l was told these school drop outs and miscreants are allocated hoods, tarmacs and spots in strategic suburbs to collect levies and taxes as rewards for their political loyalty during election..

Politicians don't reward them with education to improve their lives or decent jobs to be useful in the society but as ticket collectors on the streets while their own progenies study abroad and fill top vacancies in Alausa

Olorun a saanu wa

Excellent comment. For those without hoods ma guess what happens. I can give you a location. Sunday to Sunday, 8am till 10pm, you'll always see between 100-400 boys within a stret and it's intersects smoking weed from dawn till dusk. Elections is over, thuggery is what's left. The future aborted

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Djbme: 2:15pm On Jul 17, 2023
Someone should please help me with work that can earn me 3k or above daily. @ Lagos preferably I can do any type of work please please I am totally depressed
whardy080@gmail.com
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Oakenshield: 2:18pm On Jul 17, 2023
They go soon accuse Obidients and Atikulated
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by saintrow1: 2:19pm On Jul 17, 2023
CSTRR:
Tinubu's is just a glorified ticket tearing agbero at the bus-stop.

He is not more sophisticated than that.

Just an average Yoruba tout.

anti yoruba tribalist c*nt

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Vboot1: 2:25pm On Jul 17, 2023
ajepako:

From grandfathers to fathers to grandsons including women

Agberoism seems to have become the ambition of an average school drop out and it won't become a societal menace if government is not actively or subtly involved

Asking around, l was told these school drop outs and miscreants are allocated hoods, tarmacs and spots in strategic suburbs to collect levies and taxes as rewards for their political loyalty, thuggery and disruptive behavior during elections..

Politicians don't reward them with education to improve their lives or decent jobs to be useful in the society but as ticket collectors on the streets while their own progenies study abroad and fill top vacancies in Alausa

Olorun a saanu wa

Almost all new enthroned kings in Lagos are Agbero chairmen, Traditional monarchial lineage has been altered for touts. Presently in Lagos you can't become anything without bowing to one man. The Feudalistic system that has been imposed in the south west should worry Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by CJStarz: 2:25pm On Jul 17, 2023
This halogen abi fluorescent vest don legitimize agberoism for Nigeria.
Shaa, una see wetin illiteracy dey cause,dat guy no know say na investigative journalist,BBC own for dat matter, dey take style dey obtain information from am, I sure say after d guy don buy one Kai Kai satchet for am. Mumu Captain 🀣🀣
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Onewazobia(m): 2:32pm On Jul 17, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

For some market, dem go tax you for putting your load down while waiting for a bus or taxi to carry you.

Koka market, lagos
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Hanndye: 2:38pm On Jul 17, 2023
What the BBC don't know or don't want to say is that the real Lord of Taxes (or Chief Commander of Taxes) is in office. V. I. P.
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by obedience4(m): 2:42pm On Jul 17, 2023
Adalhurv:

Even beggers pay taxes too. I saw this one at onyingbo market

You are joking
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Lukuluku69(m): 2:48pm On Jul 17, 2023
obedience4:

Everything in Nigeria is taxed, women selling pure water are taxed

The sad reality is that almost 90%-95% of these money ends in Private Pockets.

It is the same in almost the Southern part of Nigeria and the Bandits are in charge in the Northern parts.

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by obedience4(m): 2:49pm On Jul 17, 2023
Lukuluku69:

The sad reality is that almost 90%-95% of these money ends in Private Pocket.

It is the same in almost the Southern part of Nigeria and the Bandits are in charge in the Northern parts.

True
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Lukuluku69(m): 2:50pm On Jul 17, 2023
Onewazobia:

Koka market, lagos

Coker Market. The Ceramics/Tiles and Sanitary Markets.

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Brushstrokes20: 2:54pm On Jul 17, 2023
Dammmmmmmmnnnn pathetic!
The shyyythole from top to bottom
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Lukuluku69(m): 2:54pm On Jul 17, 2023
obedience4:

You are joking

No Jokes.

At Oyingbo Beggars hangout at Kano Street, the Seriki of the beggars at their hostels built by Marwa by Third Mainland Bridge have his boys taxing other beggars too. You must drop something for the Seriki of Beggars otherwise you can't come in to sleep nor would they allow you to leave for begging business during the day.

That's how they roll.

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by ajepako(f): 2:55pm On Jul 17, 2023
Vboot1:

Almost all new enthroned kings in Lagos are Agbero chairmen, Traditional monarchial lineage has been altered for touts. Presently in Lagos you can't become anything without bowing to one man. The Feudalistic system that has been imposed in the south west should worry Yorubas.

Sad fact...

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Lukuluku69(m): 2:56pm On Jul 17, 2023
Vboot1:

Very true.
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Lukuluku69(m): 2:58pm On Jul 17, 2023
Oakenshield:
They go soon accuse Obidients and Atikulated

Bros, the menace is every where. In the West, the East and the North.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mayday! Mayday!! "EFCC Is Broke"-Cant Pay Salaries / "Resume Or Resign Protesters Jobless, They Should Go & Find Work" - Garba Shehu / Delta Guber Election: Ogboru Floors Okowa, Pdp In Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.