Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like (17833 Views)

Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like / Ize-Iyamu: Obaseki Paid PDP Tax Collectors ₦15 Billion For Governorship Ticket / Wike: Some Members Of The PDP NWC Are Tax Collectors (2) (3) (4)

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by YouAreNobody: 3:00pm On Jul 17, 2023
obedience4:

Everything in Nigeria is taxed, women selling pure water are taxed
but some people here say Nigerians don't pay tax

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Efewestern: 3:05pm On Jul 17, 2023
Wodu89:

I'm telling you. People who carry loads are not spared.

They are menace to the society. They are everywhere in Southern Nigeria, terrorising hard-workers.

They task everything and everybody. They task business men, property developers and even contractors.

These things are the commander in chief of the streets in Nigeria. SMH

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by slowice(m): 3:16pm On Jul 17, 2023
This is what happens in all Nigerian states.. Our docile government are too focused of sharing oil revenues to have time to fix our tax system. A big shame
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by marlow1962(m): 3:40pm On Jul 17, 2023
ajepako:
That's APC legacy especially in Lagos

I drove around obalende last week and l couldn't but shed tears for my dear state

It's like everybody and l mean everybody is now agbero or ticket collector

From grandfathers to fathers to grandsons including women

It's a far cry from the Lagos we were raised in , in the 80s

Shomolu, Fadeyi, Mushin, Onipanu, lyana Oworo, Bariga, Ketu and Ebute meta are even worse

Agberoism seems to have become the ambition of an average school drop out and it won't become a societal menace if government is not actively or subtly involved

Asking around, l was told these school drop outs and miscreants are allocated hoods, tarmacs and spots in strategic suburbs to collect levies and taxes as rewards for their political loyalty, thuggery and disruptive behavior during elections..

Politicians don't reward them with education to improve their lives or decent jobs to be useful in the society but as ticket collectors on the streets while their own progenies study abroad and fill top vacancies in Alausa

Olorun a saanu wa
Ma'am abeg no talk, cus if you talk, they will tag you ipob.

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by obedience4(m): 4:25pm On Jul 17, 2023
Lukuluku69:

No Jokes.

At Oyingbo Beggars hangout at Kano Street, the Seriki of the beggars at their hostels built by Marwa by Third Mainland Bridge have his boys taxing other beggars too. You must drop something for the Seriki of Beggars otherwise you can't come in to sleep nor would they allow you to leave for begging business during the day.

That's how they roll.

Nawao

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by 9jaRealist: 4:43pm On Jul 17, 2023
obedience4:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66152708

“Captain” of what?! grin

Yet more evidence of the “failed state” in Nigeria. SMH
>
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by omohayek: 4:46pm On Jul 17, 2023
Vboot1:

Almost all new enthroned kings in Lagos are Agbero chairmen, Traditional monarchial lineage has been altered for touts. Presently in Lagos you can't become anything without bowing to one man. The Feudalistic system that has been imposed in the south west should worry Yorubas.
It's interesting that this is what you have to say, when the BBC report is actually about a racket set up by private families in Port Harcourt, with the enforcer who is the focus having the name "Nwokuha", about as non-Yoruba a name as one can get. Talk about deflection!

Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by 9jaRealist: 4:47pm On Jul 17, 2023
koladebrainiac:
coming from Britain the tax collector who used iron hands to collect tax from our great grandfathers

63 years after independence, and you’re doing even WORSE than the British ever did…smh undecided
>
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by TemmyT002(m): 5:05pm On Jul 17, 2023
Ado Ekiti's local Government tax collectors will be smiling at you while locking up your shops..
The state tax collectors will bring along NSCDC officers with guns.
Mtcheeww
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by KingRoiz(m): 5:12pm On Jul 17, 2023
The day I saw these Tax Collectors molesting poor young women and ladies who hawk bananas at a junction , I was so bitter that I didnt know how angry I became... My anger was so Palpable that one of the tax collectors started charging at me. Of course they were more than me... I just had to walk away.
Worst part is these monies don't get to the government fully and even on getting to the said government, na to loot am use peanut for development
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Yankee101: 5:55pm On Jul 17, 2023
Oluomo and co

Tinubu’s boys
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by grandstar(m): 10:24pm On Jul 17, 2023
omohayek:

It's interesting that this is what you have to say, when the BBC report is actually about a racket set up by private families in Port Harcourt, with the enforcer who is the focus having the name "Nwokuha", about as non-Yoruba a name as one can get. Talk about deflection!

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by liboopera: 3:45am On Jul 18, 2023
At sushi restaurants in nyc, hospitality is an integral part of the experience. The dedicated staff takes pride in offering attentive service, ensuring that every moment of your culinary journey is both memorable and enjoyable. From personalized recommendations to genuine care, they are committed to making your dining experience exceptional.
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by ogmask: 4:22am On Jul 18, 2023
MrSinister:

They even tax wheelbarrow pushers! So sad.

Orange sellers and those poor who sell corn by the road side are not left out.
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by simmydare82(m): 7:05am On Jul 18, 2023
Of a truth these people don't fear God.
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by koladebrainiac(m): 10:37am On Jul 18, 2023
9jaRealist:

63 years after independence, and you’re doing even WORSE than the British ever did…smh undecided
>
wetin this one dey talk bayi? and u will be thinking you have made some sense like this o
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by Calitoscassius(m): 2:29pm On Jul 18, 2023
Tifnubu is the king of Agbero grin so how can he end Agberoism in PH?

Tifnunu is planning to tax poor Nigerians %18 Naigerians are in trouble. %18 taxes? Higher than other African countries. grin grin grin i pity Naigerians.
Re: BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like by 9jaRealist: 8:47am On Jul 19, 2023
koladebrainiac:
wetin this one dey talk bayi? and u will be thinking you have made some sense like this o

Sorry, I don’t understand Gibberish…
And not my fault if don’t understand basic English (after all, it’s the colonialists’ language grin ). SMH
>

Delta Guber Election: Ogboru Floors Okowa, Pdp In Court / Osinbajo Appoints 14 New Resident Electoral Commissioners [full List] / APC Reconciliation: Aggrieved Members Demand Tickets, Appointments, Refund