Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,582 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License (640 Views)

How Do i Create An App Without Coding / Mobile Technology: Lets Build A Mobile App With Javascript / How Can I Build An Android App Without Being A Software Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License by wavefly(m): 11:49am On Jul 17, 2023
Hello everyone, I'm currently working on a mobile wallet app in which we integrate almost all the Flutterwave API, and we also planning to launch, please is it required to get a cbn license before we launch or we can get that later, how important is the license?
Re: Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License by NapoleonHill: 2:53pm On Jul 17, 2023
Re: Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License by YoungCabal: 7:28pm On Jul 17, 2023
Two things are involved:
1. You launch and wait for CBN to come for you
2. You don't launch until you get a licence

Whether CBN will come for you or not will depend on what major services you are providing and when they notice your activities.

NOTE:
1. you can't hold people's funds for saving on their behalf without a licence.
2. if you are planning to collect money on people's behalf without them directly selling any service on your platform, you'll also need a licence

ADVICE:
Money can be very tempting to keep, you might get tempted to divert people's money for personal use or investments purposes and regret it. Even banks and fintechs are audited occassionally to make sure nobody is diverting anyone's money for personal use. Stay away from anything that will involve EFCC for your own good, find something else to do

5 Likes

Re: Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License by wavefly(m): 9:48pm On Jul 17, 2023
Thanks for this, i really appreciate
YoungCabal:
Two things are involved:

Whether CBN will come for you or not will depend on what major services you are providing and when they notice your activities.

NOTE:
2. if you are planning to collect money on people's behalf without them directly selling any service on your platform, you'll also need a licence

ADVICE:
Money can be very tempting to keep, you might get tempted to divert people's money for personal use or investments purposes and regret it. Even banks and fintechs are audited occassionally to make sure nobody is diverting anyone's money for personal use. Stay away from anything that will involve EFCC for your own good, find something else to do

1 Like

Re: Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License by Paystack: 11:32pm On Jul 17, 2023
Yes as long as you're in Nigeria and not running a Ponzi scheme

1 Like

Re: Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License by airsaylongcome: 9:37am On Jul 18, 2023
YoungCabal:
Two things are involved:

NOTE:

ADVICE:

Looool....I personally think finance business is very good lucrative business. You never make a loss because you always charge for your services rendered. You just need a critical mass of users so that the total.charge exceeds your infrastructure and wages cost. And with good Treasury/Money management it can be super profitable. But the temptation is there to steal people's monies in your custody. Well steal.is not the word. Misappropriate more like. But from misappropriation without being caught, it ultimately ends in stealing. I've personally toyed with the idea of a Fintech startup but I've never understand the space and my liver dey fail me sometimes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License by YoungCabal: 2:32pm On Jul 18, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Looool....I personally think finance business is very good lucrative business. You never make a loss because you always charge for your services rendered. You just need a critical mass of users so that the total.charge exceeds your infrastructure and wages cost. And with good Treasury/Money management it can be super profitable. But the temptation is there to steal people's monies in your custody. Well steal.is not the word. Misappropriate more like. But from misappropriation without being caught, it ultimately ends in stealing. I've personally toyed with the idea of a Fintech startup but I've never understand the space and my liver dey fail me sometimes.
I'm not saying finance business is not good, you are not allowed to run financial services without a licence same way you can't just wake up one morning and rent a shop in your neighbourhood and turn it into a bank.

On the issue of profit, it depends on the transaction volume not really the number of users. You can have 10,000 users and still may not make any reasonable profit at the end of the month if they don't perform enough transactions, some of these fintech companies are just running on vibes, they don't make a reasonable profit yet.

To be honest, I don't advice any young talented person to be solely responsible for anything monetary in this age filled with peer pressure to outdo one's self, you can easily get tempted to borrow from it even if you didn't have any bad intention initially.

3 Likes

Re: Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License by wavefly(m): 8:11pm On Jul 18, 2023
Thank you, maybe I will have to wait till I can afford the license
YoungCabal:

I'm not saying finance business is not good, you are not allowed to run financial services without a licence same way you can't just wake up one morning and rent a shop in your neighbourhood and turn it into a bank.

On the issue of profit, it depends on the transaction volume not really the number of users. You can have 10,000 users and still may not make any reasonable profit at the end of the month if they don't perform enough transactions, some of these fintech companies are just running on vibes, they don't make a reasonable profit yet.

To be honest, I don't advice any young talented person to be solely responsible for anything monetary in this age filled with peer pressure to outdo one's self, you can easily get tempted to borrow from it even if you didn't have any bad intention initially.

1 Like

Re: Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License by truthCoder: 6:09am On Jul 20, 2023
wavefly:
Thank you, maybe I will have to wait till I can afford the license

Nope. Why wait till then?

Do your development, get out your MVP. Test, iterate and iterate.

Get your domain and brand names etc.

If your product is unique, you might get funding for the licensing.

Just don’t launch without the license

2 Likes

Re: Can I Launch A Mobile Wallet App Without CBN License by wavefly(m): 6:45pm On Jul 21, 2023
Thanks, i really apprecuate your comment
truthCoder:

Nope. Why wait till then?

Do your development, get out your MVP. Test, iterate and iterate.

Get your domain and brand names etc.

If your product is unique, you might get funding for the licensing.

Just don’t launch without the license

(1) (Reply)

Programmers Needed In A Start Up Firm / Java Programming For Beginners / Introducing Microsoft's Usable Live Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.