Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:34 PM

25% In FCT Is A Must - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25% In FCT Is A Must (3178 Views)

#AllEyesOnTheJudiciary: Another Billboard Sighted With "25% In FCT Is A Must” / Wole Olanipekun: FCT Is Compulsory, But It's 25% Of Votes Of All Parties / 'FCT Is Mere 37th' - SDP Presidential Candidate, Adebayo Adewole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by pquaver(m): 8:26am On Jul 18, 2023
OredoPikin:

Oga put ur logic and common sense aside
It is a law written with plain English and u must follow it

No body makes a foolish law.. The constitution has a spirit.. It has an intentional.. What was the intention of that 25% in 2/3 of 36 states and fct? The framers told u in national spread.. How can FcT being a joker state na equte to national spread? As against 25% in several states of federation.. Obidients zuru nu ike

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by OredoPikin: 8:28am On Jul 18, 2023
tesppidd:
Why are you confusing yourself? The salient factor in this case is the #100.

How you spend the #100 is the Koko here.

Just like the main case, the Koko is the 25 percent; not the 36 states, not the FCT.

Stop confusing yourself.

I maintain that nobody knows it all.

That clause in question has created unnecessary Ambiguity.

If the contemplation is that one must get 25 percent in the FCT, then it should be re-written to something like this;

25 percent in 2/3 of the 36 states including the FCT.
Lolz
U are the one creating unnecessary ambiguity in ur head my guy

This thing is very clear like crystal😁
25% in 36states and the FCT

Maybe after this case, it can be amended in Yoruba, igbo and hausa😎 but as it stands now, it is what it is my guy

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by joseph032: 8:28am On Jul 18, 2023
APC will do same. So you know, LP won in Rivers and Benue State, and so many reduction Vote in LP(Which is visible to the Blind because they have no party Structure/Governor to rig any State).

If Only Inec is neural and does the Right Things. And if Truly APC won 2/3 of the State and lost FCT (leaving other Court Case Issues)
Then there Should be a rerun between APC and (LP or PDP) according to the Constitution.

So you know INCE always account for a rerun in their budget
femicyrus:

Rerun!
If obi had 29/37 without FCT and tinubu got 16/37 with FCT, will you be here to advocate a rerun?
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by colestephan86: 8:28am On Jul 18, 2023
OredoPikin:

U are the one deceiving urself my man
Suddenly Ordinary AND is now so ambiquous for u guys to interpret 🤣🤣🤣
The construction didn't say AND 25% in FCT, it said AND FCT.
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by OredoPikin: 8:30am On Jul 18, 2023
colestephan86:

The construction didn't say AND 25% in FCT, it said AND FCT.

2/3 in 36states and the FCT

Na wetin constitution talk o
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by HitlerWasRight: 8:30am On Jul 18, 2023
OredoPikin:
I usually laugh when I read and listen to APC supporters trying to twist the constitution to suit their agenda.
I have even see some people saying if FCT is that mandatory, then candidates should focus in FCT and forget other states😅 very laughable and dumb argument.
The constitution is written in plain English and not Latin or Chinese.
You must have 25% in 2/3 of the states and FCT
Again, you must have 25% in 24states and the FCT before you can be declared a president

The abracadabra hurriedly carried out by INEC must be annulled

There is no tribe called Edo Ibo.

Stop disgracing your tribe
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by OredoPikin: 8:33am On Jul 18, 2023
HitlerWasRight:

There is no tribe called Edo Ibo.

Stop disgracing your tribe
🙄🙄🙄
Disgrace my tribe as How?

So that's ur contribution to the topic😁

So because i be Edo, i must aligned with ur guys in ur foolishness 🤣

The last time i checked time,
Edo nor be Lagos

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by pquaver(m): 8:34am On Jul 18, 2023
Newton2024:

The correct expression should be:

Fg says we will pay the sum of 50 billion to the 36 states of federation including FCT as palliative...

Or

Fg says we will pay the sum of 50 billion to the 36 states of federation plus FCT as palliative...

In Logical Reasoning, and has a different meaning.

If I tell you: Mr Femi, buy us 24 loaves of bread and butter. Would you go and buy only bread without buying butter?

Stop writing what u dont know... Simple primary school question for u.. How many fedrating units make up Nigeria and please name them please...

Please name the states and capital of Nigeria...
Since abuja is different i dey wait ur answer. We will know those thst even skip classes in primary school..
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by colestephan86: 8:36am On Jul 18, 2023
tesppidd:
1. 25 percent in 2/3 of the States and The FCT.
2. 25 percent in 2/3 of the States and In the FCT.
3. 25 percent in 2/3 of the States and 25 percent in The FCT.

Bearing in mind that Abuja is not called a State, It is called The FCT.

So to be honest I think that 2 and 3 above mean the same thing while 1 is different.

Number 1 means that The FCT is not mandatory while both 2 and 3 mean that The FCT is mandatory.

How is it written in the constitution? I have not read it...
The three have different meanings, in mathematics,, anyone who have studied mathematics up to final year in the university will know these.
As it is written in the construction is number 1
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by tesppidd: 8:36am On Jul 18, 2023
OredoPikin:

Lolz
U are the one creating unnecessary ambiguity in ur head my guy

This thing is very clear like crystal😁
25% in 36states and the FCT

Maybe after this case, it can be amended in Yoruba, igbo and hausa😎 but as it stands now, it is what it is my guy
"25 percent in 36 States and The FCT."

If you are not being political and mischievous, how can you call this statement clear as crystal?

A clause that has caused so many disagreements between erudite SANs for many years?

Even till today lawyers are still battling about it, and you say clear as crystal!

Guy you are being mischievous.

God knows I want the election annulled, but the truth it that that clause is highly highly highly ambiguous and controversial.

The way it is written in the constitution, it could mean both ways.

Only the Supreme Court will decide which way they want it to be.
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by HitlerWasRight: 8:36am On Jul 18, 2023
OredoPikin:

🙄🙄🙄
Disgrace my tribe as How?

So that's ur contribution to the topic😁

So because i be Edo, i must aligned with ur guys in ur foolishness 🤣

The last time i checked time,
Edo nor be Lagos

Okoro
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Newton2024: 8:37am On Jul 18, 2023
pquaver:

Stop writing what u dont know... Simple primary school question for u.. How many fedrating units make up Nigeria and please name them please...

Please name the states and capital of Nigeria...
Since abuja is different i dey wait ur answer. We will know those thst even skip classes in primary school..
This your questions are more confusing than confusion itself. What do you want me to understand self?
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Opolopoopolonio: 8:37am On Jul 18, 2023
All hail piiiggs cheesy

Enjoy your delusion while it lasts cheesy
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by tesppidd: 8:40am On Jul 18, 2023
colestephan86:

The three have different meanings, in mathematics,, anyone who have studied mathematics up to final year in the university will know these.
As it is written in the construction is number 1
Written as Number 1, Okay.

That's what brings the ambiguity.
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by femicyrus(m): 8:40am On Jul 18, 2023
joseph032:
APC will do same. So you know, LP won in Rivers and Benue State, and so many reduction Vote in LP(Which is visible to the Blind because they have no party Structure/Governor to rig any State).

If Only Inec is neural and does the Right Things. And if Truly APC won 2/3 of the State and lost FCT (leaving other Court Case Issues)
Then there Should be a rerun between APC and (LP or PDP) according to the Constitution.

So you know INCE always account for a rerun in their budget
What is the purpose of this constitutional provisions?
Is it not for national spread?
29/37 and 16/37, which one carried a better spread of votes?
So if a candidate got 25% in 36 states without FCT yet got the highest number of total votes, he should be subjected to a rerun with a candidate with 25% in FCT alone?
What exactly is FCT then?
A federating unit not big enough to have a governor but a Minister
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by colestephan86: 8:56am On Jul 18, 2023
Newton2024:

TemplarLandry, if you are asked to buy 24 loaves of bread and butter.

Would you buy only 24 loaves of bread without buying butter as well?

Your short short meaningless comment shows you are short of words and exhausted. Maybe you should take a rest.
How many butter should I buy.
Your analogy explains it all
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by pquaver(m): 9:10am On Jul 18, 2023
Newton2024:
This your questions are more confusing than confusion itself. What do you want me to understand self?

What i want u to understand is the and.. To clear ambuiguity the framers make distinction.. Since fct is a federating unit but not a state, it is assumed to be by virtual of section 299.. So that is why u are taught in school state and capital... U have 36 states and the FCT abuja.. So the 25% of 2/3 of the fedeating units of Nigeria... That is what that part refers to and it is clear..
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by OredoPikin: 9:26am On Jul 18, 2023
HitlerWasRight:

Okoro

lolz
if that makes u sleep well grin
ozwor
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:50am On Jul 18, 2023
cc: OredoPikin

All this you are writing is a long story. The Supreme Court already interpreted this in a previous case.

TheGoodJoe:

Buhari vs Obasanjo : Supreme Court decision over 25% in FCT

The latest evidence arose from another scrutiny of the Supreme Court ruling in the case between Muhammadu Buhari, the then candidate of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), and Olusegun Obasanjo, the then Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) candidate, on Friday, July 15, 2005, by Mr. Dokun Ojomo.

According to Mr. Ojomo, in the ruling, the apex court had upheld that presidential candidates must win 25 per cent of all votes cast in 24 states, as well as the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Commenting on the outcome of the 2003 Presidential Election Petition Tribunal (PEPT) and the 25% in FCT saga, Ojomo wrote:

“After the 2003 elections, Buhari called for the cancellation of the election since Obasanjo failed to win in FCT but it was resolved that winning the FCT is not mandatory but having 25% in FCT is very mandatory.

https://jkcyno.com/buhari-vs-obasanjo-supreme-court-decision-over-25-in-fct/

Finito.
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:51am On Jul 18, 2023
“After the 2003 elections, Buhari called for the cancellation of the election since Obasanjo failed to win in FCT but it was resolved that winning the FCT is not mandatory but having 25% in FCT is very mandatory.

https://jkcyno.com/buhari-vs-obasanjo-supreme-court-decision-over-25-in-fct/

Supreme Court ruling. Nothing else to argue.
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Chidibe212(f): 10:10am On Jul 18, 2023
If you go to "Mama put" and you tell the woman to put *Rice AND beans* for you. she passes the plate to you and you saw only rice please what will be your response? With your answer to the question above also tell me why your number 1 with "AND FCT" isn't mandatory?
tesppidd:

So to be honest I think that 2 and 3 above mean the same thing while 1 is different.

Number 1 means that The FCT is not mandatory while both 2 and 3 mean that The FCT is mandatory.

There's a school my childhood friend attended "Command Day Secondary school Enugu"

I was in their house when she came home with her first term result/report sheet.

Eight (cool subjects was in her report sheet including English and Maths. She Aced 7 of the subjects including English but had D in Maths.

Guess what? "FAILED" with a red pen was written on her Result sheet because the rules of the school is that you will pass 5 of the subjects (either get A, B, or C grade) including English AND Maths.

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Sharpsharp00123: 10:20am On Jul 18, 2023
OredoPikin:

1. Tesppidd please help me to buy salt and Maggie when coming back from the market

Tesppidd went and bought only salt and said he has done what they ask him to do
so if u can fail to meet required election constitution n u win only Abuja that means u can b declared president?

That means a candidate can lose 35 states n win just Abuja n b declared president?

That means a candidate can win all 35 states n lose only Abuja n still lose d election?

Meaning only Abuja votes decides d president

Then y did voting occur in other states?
Y not just vote in Abuja n d winner becomes d president?
Then what is d essence of having 25% in 24 states n having majority votes when one person will lose all n win only Abuja n b declared d president
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Chidibe212(f): 10:25am On Jul 18, 2023
Sharpsharp00123:
so if u can fail to meet required election constitution n u win only Abuja that means u can b declared president?

That means a candidate can lose 35 states n win just Abuja n b declared president?

That means a candidate can win all 35 states n lose only Abuja n still lose d election?

Then what is d essence of having 25% in 24 states n having majority votes when one person will lose all n win only Abuja n b declared d president

If ONLY Abuja like you said was won by a candidate then the candidate failed very well and therefore lost the election.

However the constitution said "For a candidate to be declared a winner, he or she MUST win 25% in 24 states out of 36 states "AND" FCT

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Guestlander: 10:34am On Jul 18, 2023
tesppidd:
24 States and The FCT.

In Nigeria, FCT is never written or spoken of, as a State.

If it were, then the law would have been stated simply as "in 24 States".

Am not a Tinubu supporter but honestly my own interpretation is 24 States are required, with or without The FCT.

I hope I am wrong anyway.

Your interpretation is the most logical since all votes carry equal weight everywhere in Nigeria.
Any other interpretation is absurd.

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by OredoPikin: 10:34am On Jul 18, 2023
Sharpsharp00123:

hello sir

read the write up again?

if u buy maggi without buying salt, you have not delivered the message you were sent, vis-a-vis

if u like have 100% in FCT without getting the highest votes cast and meeting 25% in 24 other states, you have not meet the requirement.
if u also like, win all the 36states without getting 25% in FCT (which is not even possible), you will have to go for another election in FCT

that is what the law says
it doesnt have to make sense to u

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by kollinz1234(m): 10:36am On Jul 18, 2023
helinues:
Make una go and ask for refunds from una teachers starting from primary school teachers

Office Boss: Give #10m to 5 people and helinues

Agbado messenger: Yes sir.

(Agbado messenger went to call five people and gave them #10m without including helinues and came back to office boss)

Office boss: welcome Agbado messenger

Agbado messenger: Thank you sir

Office boss: have you delivered my message?

Agbado messenger: Yes sir

(Office boss takes his phone and calls helinues to confirm whether he got the message, helinues said nobody gave him anything o. With annoyance, office boss turned to Agbado messenger)

Office boss: helinues said you didn't give him anything.

Agbado messenger: sir but you said 5 people. I gave it to 5 people, must helinues be part of them?

Office boss: i knew there were more than 5 people but i mentioned helinues for a reason. This shows you lack common sense and for that reason, you cannot continue to work here. You are fired!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Guestlander: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2023
OredoPikin:

hello sir

read the write up again?

if u buy maggi without buying salt, you have not delivered the message you were sent, vis-a-vis

if u like have 100% in FCT without getting the highest votes cast and meeting 25% in 24 other states, you have not meet the requirement.
if u also like, win all the 36states without getting 25% in FCT (which is not even possible), you will have to go for another election in FCT

that is what the law says
it doesnt have to make sense to u

Why not have the election in the FCT alone then? What is the purpose of having the election in the 36 states?
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Aquila99: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2023
Newton2024:
You must have 25% in 2/3 of the states and FCT
Again, you must have 25% in 24states and the FCT before you can be declared a president

If you are a student of mathematics, english or philosophy, you would have understand this. The AND there is a disjunction. The two substatements are independent events.

Please answer dis question. If this election is Annulled and a rerun is declared becos of 25% of FCT. What then happens if anoda one is held and the 1st candidate don't get 25% in FCT. Wat next will happen?
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Aquila99: 10:45am On Jul 18, 2023
Newton2024:

TemplarLandry, if you are asked to buy 24 loaves of bread and butter.

Would you buy only 24 loaves of bread without buying butter as well?

Your short short meaningless comment shows you are short of words and exhausted. Maybe you should take a rest.

Ur analogy does not fit into d discussion. Instead ur r asked to buy 24 packs of sugar needed for baking. I went n bought 24 dangote own, didn't see honeywell. Just because u didn't see honeywell sugar. Will it stop dey baking?
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by OredoPikin: 10:45am On Jul 18, 2023
Guestlander:

Why not have the election in the FCT alone then? What is the purpose of having the election in the 36 states?
you are still not getting it.

you must have 25% in FCT and 24 other states.
having it in FCT without 24 other states is not enough
having it in 36 states without FCT is also not enough

Why not just go and write English and Mathematics and forget about other subjects before seeking admission in University?
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Guestlander: 10:51am On Jul 18, 2023
OredoPikin:

you are still not getting it.

you must have 25% in FCT and 24 other states.
having it in FCT with 24 other states is not enough
having it in 36 states without FCT is also not enough

Why not just go and write English and Mathematics and forget about other subjects before seeking admission in University?

You are not explaining why it is not enough to win in all the 36 states in Nigeria and still not win because you couldn't get 25% in the FCT. Are there more Nigerians living in the FCT? Are the votes in the FCT more special than the rest of the country?
Re: 25% In FCT Is A Must by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 18, 2023
tesppidd:

I agree with this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obama Faces Potential Damage From His Pastor's Comments / Investors Flee Anambra As Armed Robbers, Kidnappers Take Over / How Did Ghana Survive Her Economic Woes ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.