Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun (23892 Views)

PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 / Bayo Ononuga Shares 'Tinubu’s Guinean Connection' By Amb. Ousmane Yara / Meet Wole Olanipekun; Tinubu's Lead Counsel At The Presidential Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by Angelfrost(m): 10:14am On Jul 18, 2023
ORIENTATION101:
i don't think there is honorary passport categories of canada passport. It depends on the color you re issued, the color specify the kind of password you get and honorary is not in any of those categories.

So what is the color of Canadian passport you re carrying?

It's Blue sir!
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by Clobisman(m): 10:16am On Jul 18, 2023
pquaver:

Show us tinubu TC.. If u dont understand that citizenship is proved by documents.. I have no arguments with u.. An expired passport is no prove anywhere.. Show us his TC then..
Tinubu might not need a TC to come to Nigeria because he has dual citizenship/passport. Don't be emotional but critical.
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by pquaver(m): 10:18am On Jul 18, 2023
sexyking1:

Presenting your expired passport is enough to send you to your country. Even an ID card is enough. I don't know if you have travelled, but I'm telling you this out of experience.

I am telling out of my own experience.. I had to get letter from 9ja botschaft in Berlin..

Again my point a passport has expiration for several reasons.. Of which one of it is the control falsification, impersonation etc.. If a citizenship is withdrawn and i keep the passport after claiming lost.. Expiration and Renewal is the control mechanism to weed me out of the system.. So again an expired passport is mo form of identification.. Ithat it is obtainable on Nigeria doesn't make in the way it worls woth sane people.. If u claim u have travelled u should know what i am talking about. Can u present an expired id card or passport abroad.. Mr traveller?
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by pafra(m): 10:18am On Jul 18, 2023
DoTheNeedful:

The problem with some of you is that you don't read widely and you don't digest information properly before jumping up and down social media displaying your ignorance.

You think a jobless or underemployed person like you know better than a man that has been a Senior Advocate of Nigeria for 32 years? Olanipekun is arguing technically about the admissibility of the so-called evidence. The expiry date of the passport matters here because based on our law and the Evidence Act, no expired document is admissible in the court of law. There was never a place, both during cross examination or in the final address, where Olanipekun said that the expiration of a passport implied nullification of citizenship.

You are so funny but ignorant.
What does San for 32 yrs mean?
I can commit a crime and call a 32 years old San to defend me.
The 32 years old San will try to defend my crime.

Note, passport is not tied to the validity of your citizen.

He is only trying to defend a crime which he paid to do. It doesn't mean he is correct
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by chatinent: 10:19am On Jul 18, 2023
Passports are renewable and doesn’t make you less of a citizen when expired.

Citizenship is not acquired by having a passport. It’s just for identification.

Their are processes of acquiring and losing citizenship and nothing on it talks about expiration of passports.

So you saying that as soon as your passport expires, you cease being a citizen of a country is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by pquaver(m): 10:19am On Jul 18, 2023
Clobisman:

Tinubu might not need a TC to come to Nigeria because he has dual citizenship/passport. Don't be emotional but critical.
. How then do u want to convince me he is Guinea na.. Expired guinea passport?
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by shinealight(m): 10:19am On Jul 18, 2023
Hyperchi:

So when America give u green card as a citizen, they also put expiring date on it, or u just want to sound stupid. Don't u think be4 an outsider is given citizen there is a court swearing, which is on paper be4 the document is given,
So travel passport is the certificate of a citizen

We seem to forget that this was Honorary Citizenship conferred on Tinubu ….and not Citizenship by Naturalisation which required swearing an Oath of Allegiance to acquire!

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by casualobserver: 10:21am On Jul 18, 2023
Ezeama400:
People can defend rubbish

Educate yourself
There are different types of citizenship
They are not the same not all have equal rights. Same with passports.

Citizenship
1. Citizenship by Birth
2. Naturalized citizenship
3. Diplomatic citizenship
4. Honorary citizenship

They are not equal nos 2-4 can be revoked. No 4 has no rights at all and cannot get a passport.

Passports

1 diplomatic passport: normally for diplomats and the most high ranking of govt officials. political passport with diplomatic immunity that can also be issued to non- citizens for political reasons with full diplomatic immunity.
2. Official passport. Issued to govt officials with no diplomatic immunity ( that is why Ekweremadu could be arrested)
3. Ordinary passport. Issued to everybody else who are citizens.

Examples of diplomatic passports that do not confer full citizenship.

1. At least 2 Nigerians have acted as the chief judge of Gambia. For the duration of their assignment, they held Gambian diplomatic passports. They are not Gambian citizens.
2. During the struggle against Abacha, many Nadeco members who fled to Benin Republic were issued diplomatic passports of the US and the Uk to enable them travel to the US and Uk respectively as political refugees Including Tinubu himself who was issued a UK passport for the purposes of travel.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by abikason(m): 10:25am On Jul 18, 2023
1.I stop knowing how to drive when my Driver's License expires..
2 I stop being a Nigerian once my passport expires
3.my ATM card expires, I stop being a customer of the bank
4.my pay TV subscription expires, I stop being a customer
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by SpatialKing(m): 10:26am On Jul 18, 2023
VenExchangee:

Have you traveled before?
Because I remember last year when I want to come back from Netherland, I couldn't book flight because of my passport, so I have to renew it first.

Maybe you let Nigeria illegally...

I reside in the US

We can connect if you want
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by Dchair2: 10:27am On Jul 18, 2023
psychalade:
Fact! grin
Lies unlimited
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by ORIENTATION101: 10:27am On Jul 18, 2023
Angelfrost:

It's Blue sir!
OK means you carry passport for refugee travel document, issued to protected persons status. You can travel all over the world except your country of citizenship.
You cant compare your passport with Tinubu Guinean passport that takes you no where serious or offers a form of protection.
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by maxzzo1(m): 10:28am On Jul 18, 2023
maupe:
Lead counsel to Tinubu in his written address to the court in his case against PDP/Atiku once again said that Tinubu's Guinean citizenship expired the moment his Guinean passport expired in 2020

Below is the address.

Previous thread https://www.nairaland.com/7739618/tinubu-no-more-citizen-guinea

Foolish talk.....so as ma passport will expire December am no more a Nigerian?
ma kno oo?
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by vugaman(m): 10:29am On Jul 18, 2023
pquaver:

Think.. the date on it is important.. Validity has a lot to do with time If ur green card has
no date and says infinite so it has expressly said it is valid.. Your passport say valid till a given time for a reasonn.. So far it is expired it loses validity.. You have to renew it.. An expired document is no proof anywhere in the world.. I dont know how obidients reasons sef.. Is it with this useless reasoning u guys wan to build a great nation in Biafra and Nigeria ? A simple thing like validity u dont understand una want to build Nigeria.. Abeg no make me laff... Illiterates are attracted to the obidients movement to be honest..
listen to your self, you sound so stupid and foolish in a bid to defend what can not be defended, are you okay? google citizenship, maybe you will realize how you sound
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by Dchair2: 10:30am On Jul 18, 2023
pquaver:

Stop hyerventilating. Expired passport means passport is no longer valid.. Every citizenship has documentary proof.. Oya go to ur state liason office in abuja and tell them u r from tge state just by word of mouth if they will not throw u away like dustbin... Bring proof of the citizenship shikena

Imagine your reasoning, it's your citizenship that qualifies you to own a passport, and not the passport qualifying you for citizenship! Don't you get it?
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by drlateef: 10:32am On Jul 18, 2023
Hyperchi:
U are a citizen of a country, so na by passport for travel them go use they renew am. This ppl think 9ja na zombies

Obi also has had UK citizenship and honorary citizenship of US. Rules of citizenship defer for various countries. And there are different categories of citizenship and how they are voided for each country. If Obi wants to prove them wrong he should have obtained the criteria for voiding citizenship of that category in Guinea, and demonstrate where Tinubu is wrong.
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by Angelfrost(m): 10:32am On Jul 18, 2023
ORIENTATION101:
OK means you carry passport for refugee travel document, issued to protected persons status. You can travel all over the world except your country of citizenship.
You cant compare your passport with Tinubu Guinean passport that takes you no where serious or offers a form of protection.

Okay... Thanks for the clarification!
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by Originalsly: 10:32am On Jul 18, 2023
I don't understand why a lawyer will present as evidence.... a copy from an expired passport ... taken from the internet ... as proof of Tinubu's citizenship of another country. This is dead on arrival. How can a lawyer be this shallow? ... and he's been paid? It must be he's going senile and running on reputation.

Present valid evidence that Tinubu is also a citizen of another country ... or that he has a criminal record and I'm sure he will be kicked out of office. If so be the case ... I don't understand why people believe Obi will then become President. At the Olympics ... Gold Medal for the winner ... Silver for second place ... Bronze for third place. What happens when the Gold medalist is stripped of the title ?.... does the Bronze medalist then get the Gold? Obi is the Bronze medalist in this election... if Tinubu the Gold medalist is stripped ... why would one expect Obi to be declared the new Gold medalist? I just don't understand how some people reason ... or cannot reason.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by Chiefpriestt: 10:35am On Jul 18, 2023
pquaver:

Exactly if obidients say otherwise they should present their proof. Afterall as Nigeria if my passport expires i wont be allowed into the country unless i have proof from Nigerian embassy, LGA or any relevant authorities..

Let obidients show us the proof..
You Tinubu supporters are the most despicable humans on planet earth. Just look at what an educated fellow is typing ? Tribalism has damaged you lots from the west so badly
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by ORIENTATION101: 10:35am On Jul 18, 2023
chatinent:
Passports are renewable and doesn’t make you less of a citizen when expired.

Citizenship is not acquired by having a passport. It’s just for identification.

Their are processes of acquiring and losing citizenship and nothing on it talks about expiration of passports.

So you saying that as soon as your passport expires, you cease being a citizen of a country is wrong.
you still don't get it.
There are categories of passport issued.a nigerian by birth doesnt need a international passport to be recognized as Bonifade citizen.
But an immigrant in Nigeria that was only given honorary citizen in Nigeria without swearing oat of allegiance to The country, cease to be a Nigerian when the passport expires.
Tinubu is not a Guinean by birth, he never took oat of allegiance before receiving the Guinean passport. So when his honorary passport expires he ceases to be the citizen of Guinean .
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by Chiefpriestt: 10:37am On Jul 18, 2023
Hyperchi:

So when America give u green card as a citizen, they also put expiring date on it, or u just want to sound stupid. Don't u think be4 an outsider is given citizen there is a court swearing, which is on paper be4 the document is given,
Waste not your time with that fool. He knows the truth but choose to be stupid as a result of tribalism
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by slowice(m): 10:38am On Jul 18, 2023
Citizenship doesn't expire can only be renounced.

Your passport is for travels.

Urchiins are madt
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by VenExchangee: 10:38am On Jul 18, 2023
a4cube:
You are lieing. Since 2020 you can travel to Nigeria from any where in the world to Nigeria with expired Nigeria passport. Go to page 3 of this thread and see what is pasted on arrival hall of MMA.

When last you travel international?
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by Badgers14: 10:38am On Jul 18, 2023
pquaver:

Stop hyerventilating. Expired passport means passport is no longer valid.. Every citizenship has documentary proof.. Oya go to ur state liason office in abuja and tell them u r from tge state just by word of mouth if they will not throw u away like dustbin... Bring proof of the citizenship shikena

That's not the way it works.

So if someone's Nigeria passport expires, does that mean they are no longer a Nigerian citizens??

Their is a different process to give up citizenship, it is through renunciation.. somewhat lengthy process depending on the country.

Mr. Wole Olanipekun SAN is just ridiculing himself by that statement..

People let's not be blinded by our political support, the statement by Tinubu's lawyer if admitted by the court can cause chaos in the Nigeria.

Renunciation of citizenship costs money and its lengthy process... so if the court accepts Mr. Olanipekun's submission.. then once anyone's Nigerian passport expired, they can just declare they are no longer a Nigerian citizen..
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by VenExchangee: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2023
SpatialKing:

Maybe you let Nigeria illegally...

I reside in the US

We can connect if you want

So when last did you use your expired passport to book flight and came back?
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by adioolayi(m): 10:40am On Jul 18, 2023
If you read the submission of APC counsel with an open heart..

You will realise it's an open ended logical submission, he neither denied or admit that Tinubu has held a Guinean passport....his submission rather, was to discredit the passport data page submitted by the petitioner, saying, it was downloaded from God knows where and that the date on it shows it was an expired passport , logically trying to say the document is FAKE and the petitioner were doing a guess work.

This is pure logic.

What I have read didn't say an expired passport means an expired Citizenship.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by NickD(m): 10:41am On Jul 18, 2023
pquaver:

Are you deliberately being daft or you are trying to be funny?
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by President2001(m): 10:41am On Jul 18, 2023
If a whole elderly Olanipekun can go to this extent which legacy is laying down for his children
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by Regie2bless: 10:55am On Jul 18, 2023
maupe:
Lead counsel to Tinubu in his written address to the court in his case against PDP/Atiku once again said that Tinubu's Guinean citizenship expired the moment his Guinean passport expired in 2020

Below is the address.

Previous thread https://www.nairaland.com/7739618/tinubu-no-more-citizen-guinea
so if my Nigerian passport expires as a Nigerian, that means I'm not longer a Nigerian? So I can deny been a Nigerian because My passport Don expire?, are u guys OK. Where is it in international law dat says, one siezes to be a citizen when his / her passport expires. Odeh people.
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by MikeBetty(m): 10:56am On Jul 18, 2023
psychalade:
Fact! grin
so you cease to be a Nigerian at the expiration date of your Nigerian passport? Sense far oooooo
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by chatinent: 10:57am On Jul 18, 2023
ORIENTATION101:
you still don't get it.
There are categories of passport issued.a nigerian by birth doesnt need a international passport to be recognized as Bonifade citizen.
But an immigrant in Nigeria that was only given honorary citizen in Nigeria without swearing oat of allegiance to The country, cease to be a Nigerian when the passport expires.
Tinubu is not a Guinean by birth, he never took oat of allegiance before receiving the Guinean passport. So when his honorary passport expires he ceases to be the citizen of Guinean .

That’s not how citizenship works, chief, regardless of the type. You are first asked before being given honorary citizenship, and it is on your acceptance it is given you. When it expires, it doesn’t stop you from being a citizen. The passport is simply for identification…esp during travels.

Many people’s passport have expired and they didn’t renew because there was no need to but they remained citizens.

The lawyer didn’t argue that the expiration meant nullification. He is arguing that Tinubu personally didn’t renew cos he didn’t want to be a citizen anymore…which is pure law tactics.

There are specifics to losing citizenship not merely due to an expired passport. The process of acquiring the citizenship doesn’t make you less a citizen to others by birth. You share the same privileges thereinafter. And before you are given a passport, you accepted the citizenship.

I have dual citizenship and I know what I tell you.
Re: Tinubu's Guinean Citizenship Expired Once His Passport Expired- Wole Olanipekun by omoadeleye(m): 10:57am On Jul 18, 2023
Hyperchi:

So is that one q green card?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Detained DCP Abba Kyari Drags FG To Court, Seeks Release From NDLEA Custody / Wale Edun: With Fuel Subsidy Removal, FG Has Ended Borrowing / Kogi Election: El-Rufai, 6 Governors, Others To Relocate To Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.