Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,094 members, 7,835,693 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Onana Makes History As He Becomes First African Goalkeeper To Be Man Utd No.1 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Onana Makes History As He Becomes First African Goalkeeper To Be Man Utd No.1 (231 Views)

Vincent Enyeama Named Greatest African Goalkeeper Of All Time By IFFHS / Ronaldo Thanks Cavani For Giving Him His Man Utd No 7 Shirt / Arsenal’s Best Line-up To Face Man Utd: No Xhaka Or Ozil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Onana Makes History As He Becomes First African Goalkeeper To Be Man Utd No.1 by DaveHarry(m): 7:33pm On Jul 20, 2023
Manchester United have officially announced the signing of goalkeeper Andre Onana on a permanent deal from Inter.

The 27-year-old has signed a five-year deal at Old Trafford, committing his future to United until the summer of 2028.

Onana joined on a free transfer last July following the expiry of his contract with Ajax, where he had played since 2016. Five of those years were spent playing under current United coach Erik ten Hag.

It is believed by multiple outlets that United will have paid Inter around €55m for Onana’s services, made up of €51m up front and €4m in achievable bonuses.

Over the course of the 2022-23 season, Onana made 41 appearances across all competitions for the Nerazzurri, including 24 in Serie A. He also made three appearances on Inter’s way to lifting the Coppa Italia.

Onana also made 13 appearances in a memorable Champions League campaign for Inter, which culminated in an appearance in the final for the first time since 2010, eventually losing out to Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City.

In a statement released on United’s club website, Onana said: “To join Manchester United is an incredible honour and I have worked hard all my life to get to this moment, overcoming many obstacles along the way.

“Walking out at Old Trafford to defend our goal and contribute to the team will be another amazing experience. This is the start of a new journey for me, with new teammates, and new ambitions to fight for.

“Manchester United has a long history of incredible goalkeepers, and I will now give everything to create my own legacy in the coming years.

“I am excited by the opportunity to work again with Erik ten Hag, and I can’t wait to play my part in the success I know he is determined to deliver at this great football club.”

Onana, ten Hag and the United squad will fly out for a pre-season tour of the United States before getting their 2023-24 Premier League campaign underway with a visit from Wolves on August 14.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/Transfer-news-Man-Utd-complete-signing-of-Andre-Onana-from-Inter?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter

Re: Onana Makes History As He Becomes First African Goalkeeper To Be Man Utd No.1 by rickpat(m): 7:37pm On Jul 20, 2023
unfortunately Manchester United's latest playmaker is a GOALKEEPER
Re: Onana Makes History As He Becomes First African Goalkeeper To Be Man Utd No.1 by DaveHarry(m): 7:40pm On Jul 20, 2023
rickpat:
unfortunately Manchester United's latest playmaker is a GOALKEEPER
It is to their advantage just like it was for Inter Milan last season.

(1) (Reply)

Leo Messi: "Last Minute Winning-goal For Inter Miami / Leicester Put Big-money Price Tag On Wilfred Ndidi / FG Targets Domiciliary Accounts, Diaspora Nigerians’ Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.