Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,526 members, 7,816,285 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US (3156 Views)

Electricity In KWH & Minimum Wage In Nigeria, South Africa & Calgary, Canada / Kwankwaso Directs ‘incoming PDP Governor’ Not To Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage In Kan / Workers To Know New Minimum Wage In August, Says TUC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by socialmediaman: 10:02am On Jul 25, 2023
These are averages:

Petrol price
US: N900/liter
Nigeria: N600/liter

Minimum wage (monthly)
US: N928,000 ($7.25/hr x 40 hrs/week x4 wks)
Nigeria: N30,000

The political elites are suffocating the citizens to cater for their corruption, and sadly some of these citizens are cheering them on

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by TemplarLandry: 10:03am On Jul 25, 2023
Funny.
Nairaland statisticians make me grin
Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Dotherightthing: 10:05am On Jul 25, 2023
Average yearly house rent in Nigeria is monthly house rent in the US.

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Creamypie(m): 10:05am On Jul 25, 2023
socialmediaman:
These are averages:

Petrol price

Minimum wage (monthly)
US: N232,000 (based on $7.25/hour x 40 hours/month)

The political elites are suffocating the citizens to cater for their corruption, and sadly some of these citizens are cheering them on
their reliance on fuel is less than 30% of Nigeria's reliance. They have 2/4/7 electricity. Minimum wage can't buy up to 72 liters of fuel

6 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Nice2023(m): 10:10am On Jul 25, 2023
In other reasonable countries,their people revolts through public protests and fight to make their country work...but here,tribalism will not allow them to do what is right.

Any how...na the poor go suffer.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Zupay: 10:13am On Jul 25, 2023
Dotherightthing:

In the UK, someone is paying £450 per month for a room in a shared house, which is about N495k per month

In Nigeria someone is paying an average of N15K for a room

But the person in the UK can earn £600 per week after tax and easily pay his rent

For the Nigerian on minum wage can he easily pay the rent with the skyrocketing cost of living?

19 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by socialmediaman: 10:15am On Jul 25, 2023
Zupay:

In the UK, someone is paying £450 per month for a room in a shared house, which is about N495k per month

But the person in the UK can earn £600 per week after tax and easily pay his rent

For the Nigerian on minum wage can he easily pay the rent with the skyrocketing cost of living?

Don’t mind the common man defending the corrupt politician who is stealing his livelihood

19 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Johans2023: 10:24am On Jul 25, 2023
We have fools in this country but the most useless fools are those that are defending this surfering cause by tinubu government just because he is a Yoruba man.

16 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Dotherightthing: 10:47am On Jul 25, 2023
Zupay:

For the Nigerian on minimum wage can he easily pay the rent with the skyrocketing cost of living?

Come on, tax will take at least 40% of the guy in in UK's wages embarassed

In Nigeria, those at the lowest ebb of the minimum wage scale(drivers and gatemen) live in their own houses. embarassed They pay next to nothing as tax.
Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Seefinish: 10:56am On Jul 25, 2023
Oh, Bulaba.
Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by DeOTR: 11:07am On Jul 25, 2023
Zupay:

How many people earn £600 weekly on the average in the UK? People still struggle to pay rent there too, you know?
The only advantage they have is that they enjoy the basics of life - access to constant power, quality food, decent environment, health, decent earnings (you may not be super rich, but you'll be OK).
In Nigeria for example, the cost of buying a land is way cheaper than over there. A square meter cost of land in Oslo for instance, will buy a plot of land in most places in Nigeria. You'll likely still have enough to start DPC.
The things is, it was a mistake starting the subsidy regime in the first place. Past leaders, especially between 70's to 80's, destroyed the destiny of this nation.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Zupay: 11:09am On Jul 25, 2023
Dotherightthing:

Come on, tax will take at least 40% of the guy in in UK's wages embarassed

In Nigeria, those at the lowest ebb of the minimum wage scale(drivers and gatemen) live in their own houses. embarassed They pay next to nothing as tax.

Those in the lowest ebb live in their own houses, you mean they own the face me I face they live in?

Who told you everyone working in the UK pays 40% tax, guy you get to pay 40% when you earn £50, 271 and above annually. So it 20% for those earning below that and do note that £12,570 out of what you earn is not taxed .

That guy in the UK is way better off than the guy in Nigeria earning N200k (£185) a month

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by a4cube: 11:13am On Jul 25, 2023
Dotherightthing:

Come on, tax will take at least 40% of the guy in in UK's wages
Stop talking rubbish. This how you agbadorian misinform your Agbado crowd to vote rubbish during election.

The person paying £450 per room will still pay school fees of you guys children in Nigeria after paying your acclaimed 40% tax.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Tifnubudrugs: 11:13am On Jul 25, 2023
socialmediaman:
These are averages:

Petrol price

Minimum wage (monthly)
US: N928,000 ($7.25/hr x 40 hrs/week x4 wks)

Tifnubu is crushing Nigerians to untimely deaths while using his pathetic supporters to push very idiotic propaganda. Unfortunately, some Nigerians have allowed themselves to be brainwashed to the extent they're dying slowly while still supporting Tifnubu.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Lanretoye(m): 11:14am On Jul 25, 2023
socialmediaman:

Don’t mind the common man defending the corrupt politician who is stealing his livelihood
you can't think more than your faculty.only an idiot knows the difference between those stats you posted up there and still choose to remain in nigeria.people like you don't even need visas to relocate to the US.
Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Tifnubudrugs: 11:14am On Jul 25, 2023
Dotherightthing:

What does this have to do with fuel price and minimum wage comparisons?

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Dotherightthing: 11:16am On Jul 25, 2023
Zupay:

Those in the lowest ebb live in their own houses, you mean they own the face me I face they live in?

Who told you everyone working in the UK pays 40% tax, guy you get to pay 40% when you earn £50, 271 and above annually. So it 20% for those earning below that and do note that £12,570 out of what you earn is not taxed .

That guy in the UK is way better off than the guy in Nigeria earning N200k (£185) a month

Yeah, those at the lowest ebb usually own the face me face you they live in. smiley

In the UK, other taxes will still come in that take it to 40%. It's no secret that you guys live on credit cards and mortgages and almost NEVER have savings.

NGN200K is NOT 185 pounds in actual fact. angry

200k will do FAR MORE in Nigeria than 185 pounds will do in UK and you know it. That is why our people are running there so that they can earn pounds and send it home to achieve FAR MORE than they can do in the UK cool

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Dotherightthing: 11:17am On Jul 25, 2023
Tifnubudrugs:

What does this have to do with fuel price and minimum wage comparisons?

It's NOT only fuel that is the eating up the income of Americans. That is my point.

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Dotherightthing: 11:19am On Jul 25, 2023
a4cube:
Stop talking rubbish. This how you agbadorian misinform your Agbado crowd to vote rubbish during election.

The person paying £450 per room will still pay school fees of you guys children in Nigeria after paying your acclaimed 40% tax.

That's because the pound is highly valuable in Nigeria than it is in UK. And it's the reason the family sent him there to go and slave for them. cheesy
Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by nedu666: 11:29am On Jul 25, 2023
Dotherightthing:

Yeah, those at the lowest ebb usually own the face me face you they live in. smiley

In the UK, other taxes will still come in that take it to 40%. It's no secret that you guys live on credit cards and mortgages and almost NEVER have savings.

200k will do FAR MORE in Nigeria than 185 pounds will do in UK and you know it. That is why our people are running there so that they can earn pounds and send it home to achieve FAR MORE than they can do in the UK cool

Who told you that everyone lives on credit and has zero savings. I don't and most Nigerians i know in uk don't have credit cards and still save. It's all about discipline

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by socialmediaman: 11:29am On Jul 25, 2023
Dotherightthing:

It's NOT only fuel that is the eating up the income of Americans. That is my point.

The point here is that transportation cost alone will eat up a minimum wage earner’s salary in Nigeria. That’s the point you should take note of

3 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Tifnubudrugs: 11:33am On Jul 25, 2023
Dotherightthing:

One must really be very heartless to support Tinubu. If they mention other oil producing countries in Africa where fuel is still dirtcheap due to subsidy, you will start making another blind argument. Check Libya, Egypt, Angola, Equitorial Guinea etc and compare fuel price with Nigeria.

An American on minimum wage earns close to a million naira per month and spends only 900 per litre of fuel. But Nigerian on minimum wage earns a measly 30,000 & spends 600 per litre on fuel. The American has no need to buy fuel for generator use at home or business but Nigerian has to do so everyday!

At the end of the day, the American spends less than 2% of his earnings on fuel while the Nigerian spends half of his earnings on fuel, just for car and generator!

It doesn't stop the Nigerian minimum wage earner from paying high phcn bills despite using generator for most of the time or staying in darkness.

Nigeria is hell, and anyone still supporting these evil politicians are worse than the devil.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by DoTheNeedful: 11:37am On Jul 25, 2023
In USA, a poor man's room cost $400 per month which is 320,000 naira per month. I agree that people are suffering in Nigeria at the moment, but it doesn't make any sense to compare cost of living in Nigeria with that of US or any advance country.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Dotherightthing: 11:44am On Jul 25, 2023
nedu666:

Who told you that everyone lives on credit and has zero savings. I don't and most Nigerians i know in uk don't have credit cards and still save. It's all about discipline

People like you are VERY few.

But you are one mortgage scheme or the other right?

1 Like

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Zupay: 11:48am On Jul 25, 2023
Dotherightthing:

50kg bag of is about N45K. which is 22.5% of the guy's salary and about N900 per kilo.

I presently buy that same quality of our Nigerian foreign rice at £1.25 per kilo though they are cheaper option one can buy a kilo of rice for 52pence at Tesco.

Now to afford to buy that same 50kg quantity here in the UK, I need only to work about 5hrs to earn it but it is almost a week's income for the Nigerian guy.

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Dotherightthing: 11:49am On Jul 25, 2023
Tifnubudrugs:

One must really be very heartless to support Tinubu. If they mention other oil producing countries in Africa where fuel is still dirtcheap due to subsidy, you will start making another blind argument. Check Libya, Egypt, Angola, Equitorial Guinea etc and compare fuel price with Nigeria.

An American on minimum wage earns close to a million naira per month and spends only 900 per litre of fuel. But Nigerian on minimum wage earns a measly 30,000 & spends 600 per litre on fuel. The American has no need to buy fuel for generator use at home or business but Nigerian has to do so everyday!

At the end of the day, the American spends less than 2% of his earnings on fuel while the Nigerian spends half of his earnings on fuel, just for car and generator!

It doesn't stop the Nigerian minimum wage earner from paying high phcn bills despite using generator for most of the time or staying in darkness.

Nigeria is hell, and anyone still supporting these evil politicians are worse than the devil.

Power issues depend on where you stay in Nigeria

I don't have a generator because I don't need one.

My power bill in a month is 7k at most when the children are on holiday. It is less during school period.

Minimum wage of 30 does not mean the gateman/driver is earning 30k. 30k is the basic salary. These people usually live close to work or at work etc They have a way of mitigating transportation costs.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by socialmediaman: 11:53am On Jul 25, 2023
DoTheNeedful:
In USA, a poor man's room cost $400 per month which is 320,000 naira per month. I agree that people are suffering in Nigeria at the moment, but it doesn't make any sense to compare cost of living in Nigeria with that of US or any advance country.

It makes absolute sense. The point here is that transportation cost will swallow the minimum wage earner’s whole salary in Nigeria. He won’t have any money for food or even rent.

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by gaby(m): 11:56am On Jul 25, 2023
I think the minimum wage in the U.S. should be in the region of $15+ per hour.

I no even understand.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by socialmediaman: 11:57am On Jul 25, 2023
Dotherightthing:

Power issues depend on where you stay in Nigeria

I don't have a generator because I don't need one.

My power bill in a month is 7k at most when the children are on holiday. It is less during school period.

Minimum wage of 30 does not mean the gateman/driver is earning 30k. 30k is the basic salary. These people usually live close to work or at work etc They have a way of mitigating transportation costs.

A person on minimum wage in the US earns $1,160 a month and pays $50 for electricity, less than 5% of his income. Can a person on minimum wage of 30k in Nigeria afford to pay 7k just for electricity?

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Dotherightthing: 11:58am On Jul 25, 2023
Zupay:

50kg bag of is about N45K. which is 22.5% of the guy's salary and about N900 per kilo.

I presently buy that same quality of our Nigerian foreign rice at £1.25 per kilo though they are cheaper option one can buy a kilo of rice for 52pence at Tesco.

Now to afford to buy that same 50kg quantity here in the UK, I need only to work about 5hrs to earn it but it is almost a week's income for the Nigerian guy.

Are you earning like a driver/gateman in the UK

Why are you comparing yourself with drivers and gatemen in Nigeria

Nevertheless, these people get tips and have farms and other business concerns which helps them get by. You don't have that luxury in the UK

1 Like

Re: Petrol Price Vs Minimum Wage In Nigeria Vs US by Dotherightthing: 12:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
socialmediaman:

A person on minimum wage in the US earns $1,160 a month and pays $50 for electricity, less than 5% of his income. Can a person on minimum wage of 30k in Nigeria afford to pay 7k just for electricity?

The guy in the US will pay tax of at least USD500

He will pay monthly house rent of about USD500

Then what is he left with

That is why he has to live on credit cards

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Struggle With Corruption / Beware Islamic Republic Uncovered In Ibadan / Ex-governors Mobilise Against Ribadu’s Return

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.