Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,910 members, 7,828,189 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

UNICAL Publishes Names Of 638 Students Withdrawn From The Institution - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNICAL Publishes Names Of 638 Students Withdrawn From The Institution (40721 Views)

Ibukunoluwa Are Withdrawn From OAU For Bad Performance, Grabs 1st Class At Bowen / I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents / How Do I Check The Institution I Chosen I Jamb Registration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNICAL Publishes Names Of 638 Students Withdrawn From The Institution by wharlz(m): 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2023
Bro O level(NECO WAEC) is a scam, 85% of secondary schools in Nigeria engage in exam malpractices in one form or the other (both public and private schools) students actually pay for what is termed logistics (expo). The only Exam that is fairly a true test of knowledge is (JAMB) and these so called students failed woefully. It tells a lot about the sorry state of our failing education system. You can't admit students scoring 140/400 (35%) and you expect them to do well. Forget WAEC and NECO. I believe what the government can do is to establish highly robust technical colleges for this students to acquire skills or learn trade. University education should be for the serious minded.
Vifx:
Why will the university withdraw the students for poor performance? These students studied and passed the secondary school certificate exams and passed JAMB exams and possibly passed the Unical post UTME before they were admitted to the university. It means they were qualified for university education.

During their stay in the university of Calabar, they were in various departments and faculties and were taking lectures on various courses by different lecturers in addition to other extra curricular activities of the university. What exactly did they fail to justify being withdrawn from the university? Did they fail in their attitude, knowledge or skills related to their chosen course of study?

There is the need to look into their failures beyond marks scored on cognitive tests and exams? Were they really taught well based on their learning abilities by their lecturers? Did the university provide them with the needed environment to truly learn?

If students are being punished for not passing exams, what should be done to lecturers for failing to help students to learn? Is teaching not about making someone to learn? If VCs, registrars, bursars, etc and lecturers were employed to make students learn and become useful to the society but the students were not made to learn, what should happen to them too?

Is learning and passing exams just the responsibility of students alone? Where is the place of teaching and non teaching staff in the process of learning by students? If no one else is held responsible for poor performance by students, then we should imagine a new future where the university will likely withdraw all students for poor performance but promoting their teachers for outstanding performance in their course of study.

There is the need for a system that other stakeholders in the education process will feel the pains of their students not passing their courses as well as the joy of their students passing well in their courses.

The primary mission of the university is the education of their students and the process of education involves teaching, learning and practicing of attitude, knowledge and skills. Where exactly did the students fail? In attitude, knowledge or skills or any of the combination?

What is the new future of these students who have been withdrawn from the university? What guidance is the university giving to them based on their identified capability? Are they all completely at zero in all the domains of learning or there are some ability areas in their announced disability?

The world has entered a new era with a new expression of education. We need to review our conventional product oriented education and seek a process oriented education. The final outcome examination is not enough to determine whether a student should remain or not. With the announced number of students withdrawn from the university for poor performance as the reason, the whole university should seek deep reflection on what is being done there. It is not good enough and the university is no longer adding to the growth of the society but to our down fall. Where are these students withdrawn to go to? Back to the secondary schools or to be thrown into the wider society where they will transfer their frustration to innocent citizens and institutions? What happens to the fees and charges that they paid? Will the university issue any form of certification to show what they passed in and what they failed to enable them seek admission elsewhere with more caring teachers and helpful environment or everything will be gone in one moment like this?

This is why the federal ministry of education and national universities commission under the federal executive council and the national assembly needs to look into the need for a National Universities Graduation Examination Council that should function like WAEC/NECO and empower universities to become students preparation institutions.

If the present announced withdrawal was in a secondary school, the students will have an option to take private lessons in their deficiency areas and register to take WAEC/NECO exams but in this case, the withdrawn students are surely frustrated and helpless. The worst situation is that they were not privately informed but have their names published on social media. How will they cope with the attendant discrimination in their families, communities and even other institutions as well as among their peers.

It seems our so called learner centered institutions of education are not learner friendly at all. The university needs to be re-examined again and seriously renewed if our children's future will depend on university education.

Dr. Raphael Ogar Oko is an academic Doctor
Former lecturer University of Port Harcourt
Doctor of Philosophy and Mathematics
Re: UNICAL Publishes Names Of 638 Students Withdrawn From The Institution by Vifx: 3:23pm On Jul 31, 2023
wharlz:
Bro O level(NECO WAEC) is a scam, 85% of secondary schools in Nigeria engage in exam malpractices in one form or the other (both public and private schools) students actually pay for what is termed logistics (expo). The only Exam that is fairly a true test of knowledge is (JAMB) and these so called students failed woefully. It tells a lot about the sorry state of our failing education system. You can't admit students scoring 140/400 (35%) and you expect them to do well. Forget WAEC and NECO. I believe what the government can do is to establish highly robust technical colleges for this students to acquire skills or learn trade. University education should be for the serious minded.
I get your point but that doesn't adsorb the univerties of culpability, those students went through the Universities "aptitude test" post utme exams which is supposed to filter out the "unserious minded students" or is it just an excuse to collect money from prospective students?
At the end of the day the University is supposed to be an institution of teaching and learning and most public Universities rarely "teach"
Re: UNICAL Publishes Names Of 638 Students Withdrawn From The Institution by Lingudy(m): 4:17pm On Jul 31, 2023
E be things ooo. This is the same institution that published names of students who massively failed a course!
Re: UNICAL Publishes Names Of 638 Students Withdrawn From The Institution by AmotekunSW: 8:00pm On Aug 14, 2023
emmy512:

Logically it doesn't make sense.
Emotionally maybe it does.

We're talking about the whole school, not just law.
Results are changed when money exchange hands normally.

This occurs in all the federal universities I believe as far as they're humans.

But if doesn't mean because a dean is a rapist, results will always be changed.

Wether he's a rapist or not it can always be changed because it's in human nature to be greedy.

I can lie doesn't not mean I can kill.
They're both vices

Hope you can see the worthless randy animal UNICAL made a Dean.
The useless school you are defending.
Re: UNICAL Publishes Names Of 638 Students Withdrawn From The Institution by emmy512: 7:58am On Aug 15, 2023
AmotekunSW:

Hope you can see the worthless randy animal UNICAL made a Dean.
The useless school you are defending.

When you say unical made a dean it's as if unical could stop it.
There's career progression and within the law your not guilty untill found so.

If he wasn't made dean who else would have been made a dean? He's one of the most senior lecturers so rightly he was made dean.

The dean talked about I know him personally, I know he's capable of what he's accused of and won't put it past him.

But without evidence and being found guilty the school can only suspend for sometime untill court case end, just like in 2015.

And untill found guilty and convicted, people like this who don't care or pretend to not care about their image won't even be bothered about a mere accusation.

Sometime ago HOD of computer science was suspended and after reading the reason from the memo from VC I laughed, flimsy excuses like he collected money for books and manuals which most lecturers do etc

But I knew a man of his caliber could only be suspended for one reason and the vc memo didn't state that particular reason.

The university is a cabal on its own and only evidence and guilty verdict would remove one from the university system not the university itself

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NUC Busts 58 Illegal Universities In Nigeria, Arrests Proprietors (names) / ASUU Suspends Nine-Month-Old Strike / 1st Class in Maths: Maniru Ibrahim Gets N9.2bn Scholarship For PhD In Ireland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.