Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... (458 Views)

Coronavirus: Nigeria Shuts All International Airports To Foreign Flights / Warning To Women Coming To Turkey For Prostitution(photos) / Lies Of Nigerians Living In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... by Papilagreen: 1:20pm On Jul 25, 2023
So today am a little bit free and lazy I have much time at hand so I just feel I should sher this tips and if you are able to benefit from any of this. Send me a thumbs up and I might be motivated to shear more.

Okay so before I dive in, this topic is not just for people mostly students who are already in the United States but those who plan to come over in the future then I hope this helps..

Before I start I wan drop one small quote or advice for una wain get plans to study in America in future.. see stop procrastinate if u wan do am start am now or na u go still waste time and effort. This is my reason..
2019 December I left 9ja, when I was paying for my visa application fee for the embassy then it was 85,980 naira. As of today it is 150. Thousand naira plus I was shocked it skyrocket like forex I wan mad so the more time u waste the more money u pay in dollars so take ur future by ur hands and act now.

So this all exclude the process of applying and securing your visa, this process is after.
So here it goes..

1, No amount of money u carry come will get u financially prepared for what you will face financially when u get here.
Today's amount rate of dollar to naira, if u come here to come buy anything, fear go catch u when u convert am to naira equivalent. U no need seel ur papa last land to come here carry the small change u get come just make sure say e go last u 3 months minimum just Incase u no know anybody here as per JJC.

2. Before u leave 9ja try as much as possible to read about everything u can about the state and area ur school is located, try and know the major busy spots in that locations i.e, restaurants, bars, bakery, recreational parks, hospitals etc. All this you can do via Google just try and know some major things about the town B4 u land trust me it will help I will tell u later on.

3. Even after u secure ur admission ND visa, try as much as possible to keep in constant communication with the school via email, make sure they know you departure and arrival date at the us. Infact breakdown ur travel intent for them to know it will help you on this two major grounds I sublist below:

a, Incase u are having issues at the port of entry with the border protection officer, I have seen this happen before they will stop you just for no reason and ask you questions like where are you going to, who are you going to meet and the reason you come here. If you can not answer those questions correctly and as well provide contact information of the school they might send you back home. So in summary, if that happens to you and the BP officer reaches out to the school, they will be able to confirm you as one of their student and tell them exactly where and when u will arrive so you have a solid case..
My own village people no follow me reach that side I use central market distract them so I cross am easily.

b, the school might even provide you free transportation ride from the airport to the school if they have your schedule with them it is considered a vip treat for you all international students 😁.

4, no go waste all ur money buy cloths save every dime u can just carry ur natives them and few old clothes come just buy one nice shoe wear come.

Reasons are:

a, clothes we wear here are different

b, I give u 7 months tops u go fat big pass those cloths and the clothes no go fit u again lol so it's useless now because long troat go make u wan eat everything u no go know when u go tell urself to find gym to go exercise..

5, as soon as you land school, take note this will help u alot.. trust me on this..

First thing to do is go for your international student orientation then go and register for classes.
Then immediately after that, go to the student employment office center and apply for a job. It doesn't matter what type of job u get first on campus. I.e, some campus jobs are great less stressed while some go stress u die just get one. By law, international student are able to work 20hrs a week to my best knowledge unless dem don change am because I no know again I now work full time because I am pass that stage.
So we continue... So as a soon as u secure job, by law if u get any job for America u must get social security number which is a must. But here is the trick because u are only allowed to to work 20hrs a week, u will be given a social security card which is only for work with some certain restrictions. But here is the catch.
It comes with a lot of benefits so I will try and break them down real quick.

If you able to secure a job ( you have to act quick because sometimes job positions are taken quick so no go dull) you will be given a letter to take to the social security office for you social security card/number application. Go there do ur paper work pay the fee not that expensive depending on the state u are prices varies.
Apply and get ur card although it takes about a week or two to get. it when it arrives your mailbox, rush to the nearest Drivers licensing registration office in your county, go with you international passport ur new social security card and proof of address and apply for a driver's license. ( You need to take a short exam and a driving test to pass and get ur drivers license). With ur license now in ur possession, u can no drop ur passport at home u no go dey carry am Waka again Incase police stop u for road.
Finally I know say all the money u carry come go don finish on bills no money for food etc. Use ur SSN and driver's license apply for discovery credit card. U get $1500 minimum use am dey survive no go over do just use for food and pay back every month amount due it will help u build ur credit score for the future.

I think I will stop here for now make I no get una bored but if una need more scope e plenty.. I go sher with una how una go dey fit work and pay ur school fees wella in no time if I get good comments as motivation

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... by Sisib15: 9:39pm On Jul 25, 2023
Please continue. Your tips are helpful
Papilagreen:
So today am a little bit free and lazy I have much time at hand so I just feel I should sher this tips and if you are able to benefit from any of this. Send me a thumbs up and I might be motivated to shear more.

Okay so before I dive in, this topic is not just for people mostly students who are already in the United States but those who plan to come over in the future then I hope this helps..

Before I start I wan drop one small quote or advice for una wain get plans to study in America in future.. see stop procrastinate if u wan do am start am now or na u go still waste time and effort. This is my reason..
2019 December I left 9ja, when I was paying for my visa application fee for the embassy then it was 85,980 naira. As of today it is 150. Thousand naira plus I was shocked it skyrocket like forex I wan mad so the more time u waste the more money u pay in dollars so take ur future by ur hands and act now.

So this all exclude the process of applying and securing your visa, this process is after.
So here it goes..

1, No amount of money u carry come will get u financially prepared for what you will face financially when u get here.
Today's amount rate of dollar to naira, if u come here to come buy anything, fear go catch u when u convert am to naira equivalent. U no need seel ur papa last land to come here carry the small change u get come just make sure say e go last u 3 months minimum just Incase u no know anybody here as per JJC.

2. Before u leave 9ja try as much as possible to read about everything u can about the state and area ur school is located, try and know the major busy spots in that locations i.e, restaurants, bars, bakery, recreational parks, hospitals etc. All this you can do via Google just try and know some major things about the town B4 u land trust me it will help I will tell u later on.

3. Even after u secure ur admission ND visa, try as much as possible to keep in constant communication with the school via email, make sure they know you departure and arrival date at the us. Infact breakdown ur travel intent for them to know it will help you on this two major grounds I sublist below:

a, Incase u are having issues at the port of entry with the border protection officer, I have seen this happen before they will stop you just for no reason and ask you questions like where are you going to, who are you going to meet and the reason you come here. If you can not answer those questions correctly and as well provide contact information of the school they might send you back home. So in summary, if that happens to you and the BP officer reaches out to the school, they will be able to confirm you as one of their student and tell them exactly where and when u will arrive so you have a solid case..
My own village people no follow me reach that side I use central market distract them so I cross am easily.

b, the school might even provide you free transportation ride from the airport to the school if they have your schedule with them it is considered a vip treat for you all international students 😁.

4, no go waste all ur money buy cloths save every dime u can just carry ur natives them and few old clothes come just buy one nice shoe wear come.

Reasons are:

b, I give u 7 months tops u go fat big pass those cloths and the clothes no go fit u again lol so it's useless now because long troat go make u wan eat everything u no go know when u go tell urself to find gym to go exercise..

5, as soon as you land school, take note this will help u alot.. trust me on this..

First thing to do is go for your international student orientation then go and register for classes.
Then immediately after that, go to the student employment office center and apply for a job. It doesn't matter what type of job u get first on campus. I.e, some campus jobs are great less stressed while some go stress u die just get one. By law, international student are able to work 20hrs a week to my best knowledge unless dem don change am because I no know again I now work full time because I am pass that stage.
So we continue... So as a soon as u secure job, by law if u get any job for America u must get social security number which is a must. But here is the trick because u are only allowed to to work 20hrs a week, u will be given a social security card which is only for work with some certain restrictions. But here is the catch.

If you able to secure a job ( you have to act quick because sometimes job positions are taken quick so no go dull) you will be given a letter to take to the social security office for you social security card/number application. Go there do ur paper work pay the fee not that expensive depending on the state u are prices varies.
Apply and get ur card although it takes about a week or two to get. it when it arrives your mailbox, rush to the nearest Drivers licensing registration office in your county, go with you international passport ur new social security card and proof of address and apply for a driver's license. ( You need to take a short exam and a driving test to pass and get ur drivers license). With ur license now in ur possession, u can no drop ur passport at home u no go dey carry am Waka again Incase police stop u for road.
Finally I know say all the money u carry come go don finish on bills no money for food etc. Use ur SSN and driver's license apply for discovery credit card. U get $1500 minimum use am dey survive no go over do just use for food and pay back every month amount due it will help u build ur credit score for the future.

I think I will stop here for now make I no get una bored but if una need more scope e plenty.. I go sher with una how una go dey fit work and pay ur school fees wella in no time if I get good comments as motivation

1 Like

Re: Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... by Sisib15: 11:02am On Jul 26, 2023
Please where can i get cheap phone in new york or a website that i can use to search
Papilagreen:

So here it goes..

Reasons are:

Re: Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... by Itimkpataka: 1:00pm On Jul 26, 2023
Abeg. Fire on.
Re: Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... by Anonime1105(m): 1:34pm On Jul 26, 2023
Ride on bro
Re: Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... by Papilagreen: 2:34pm On Jul 26, 2023
Sure thing I go ride on today I go tell una why u need to make sure u take all your vaccinations before you leave 9ja for USA.

I learned the hard way so I decide to shear this with you because experience they say is the best teacher.

Okay so before you leave Nigeria for America, make sure I repeat make sure you take all your vaccinations ooo i.e yellow fever, chicken purse, titanus etc.

Most people only know about the yellow fever vaccine where you get the yellowbook to aid you board the plane for your flight. No it doesn't stop there. Before you leave Nigeria and come here, try and get ur updated medical vaccine and record.
When u come here u must do medical check up either to do medical exams for school sports or physical or for your medical exams for your permanent residency,
They must request for your medical result and if you don't show your update medical result, you will have to go do medical test and take new vaccination shots for all of them and it will cost you more than you will every imagine.

To sum it up in Nigeria to do that vaccinations will not cost you more than 20 thousand naira from a registered hospital and get your updated medical records OR, if you decide to come here before you decide on getting your vaccinations, it will cost you a minimum of $700 to $1200 depending on the state you live so please get yourself updated before you leave...

Make I drop more?😁

1 Like

Re: Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... by krcboy(m): 9:19pm On Jul 26, 2023
Papilagreen:
Sure thing I go ride on today I go tell una why u need to make sure u take all your vaccinations before you leave 9ja for USA.

I learned the hard way so I decide to shear this with you because experience they say is the best teacher.

Okay so before you leave Nigeria for America, make sure I repeat make sure you take all your vaccinations ooo i.e yellow fever, chicken purse, titanus etc.

Most people only know about the yellow fever vaccine where you get the yellowbook to aid you board the plane for your flight. No it doesn't stop there. Before you leave Nigeria and come here, try and get ur updated medical vaccine and record.
When u come here u must do medical check up either to do medical exams for school sports or physical or for your medical exams for your permanent residency,
They must request for your medical result and if you don't show your update medical result, you will have to go do medical test and take new vaccination shots for all of them and it will cost you more than you will every imagine.

To sum it up in Nigeria to do that vaccinations will not cost you more than 20 thousand naira from a registered hospital and get your updated medical records OR, if you decide to come here before you decide on getting your vaccinations, it will cost you a minimum of $700 to $1200 depending on the state you live so please get yourself updated before you leave...

Make I drop more?😁

please tips for us undergrad, I have my visa and resuming this fall. Im going to Michigan . I have family there
Re: Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... by horlahsunbo225(m): 5:21am On Jul 27, 2023
Sisib15:
Please where can i get cheap phone in new york or a website that i can use to search
You can get cheap phone on backmarket.
Mint mobile is also a cheap sim

1 Like

Re: Helpful Tips For All International Students Coming To Study In America... by Sisib15: 1:09pm On Jul 27, 2023
Thank you but the reviewshave been somethingelse
horlahsunbo225:

You can get cheap phone on backmarket.
Mint mobile is also a cheap sim

(1) (Reply)

Can I Apply For The University Of Calabar Transcript Online? / Traveling To New Place / In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.