Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Support making Nigerian Languages Compulsory In Seconday Schools/WAEC/NECO - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Support making Nigerian Languages Compulsory In Seconday Schools/WAEC/NECO (269 Views)

Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages / Free Exam Portal Answer For WAEC,NECO, NABTEB &JAMB / Download Sweet Sixteen by Bolaji Abdullahi JAMB 2020 [Compulsory English Novel] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Support making Nigerian Languages Compulsory In Seconday Schools/WAEC/NECO by Flakky26(f): 9:48am On Jul 27, 2023
I am concerned and I believe many other Nigerian too that our local Languages will go into extinction in a matter of a few decades to come if the Government doesn't take proactive steps. Countries like UK,Canada,Australia etc take English very seriously to the extent that they make a pass in IELTS compulsory for those interested to travel to their country for work and study, even when they know that such a person comes from a country like Nigeria that has English has her lingua franca.

I can understand that English can be made compulsory because it is our Official language but at the expense of our Local language, why can't we add Our local Languages too at least the main ones i.e Yoruba,Hausa and Igbo in addition to the compulsory subjects at secondary schools level. 

Many of our children can't speak Nigerian Languages, even some University students are also guilty of this too. To preserve our local languages, rich tradition, and culture, I want to call upon the FG through the Federal Ministry of Education and the NASS to urgently pass a law to make students at the secondary level choose one Nigerian language that must be passed at both Junior and senior WAEC ,NECO. In addition to other compulsory subjects,at least a credit must be obtained in any of the Languages as a requirement for admission into any Nigerian tertiary institution. If this is achieved, it will have many benefits such as more trained teachers who studied Nigerian Languages will be motivated and employed. 

In addition to the preservation of our local languages, ultimately our rich culture will also be preserved and promoted, knowing full well that culture has a connection with Language.
A stitch in time saves Nine.
Re: Support making Nigerian Languages Compulsory In Seconday Schools/WAEC/NECO by Flakky26(f): 5:34pm On Jul 28, 2023
Flakky26:
I am concerned and I believe many other Nigerian too that our local Languages will go into extinction in a matter of a few decades to come if the Government doesn't take proactive steps. Countries like UK,Canada,Australia etc take English very seriously to the extent that they make a pass in IELTS compulsory for those interested to travel to their country for work and study, even when they know that such a person comes from a country like Nigeria that has English has her lingua franca.

I can understand that English can be made compulsory because it is our Official language but at the expense of our Local language, why can't we add Our local Languages too at least the main ones i.e Yoruba,Hausa and Igbo in addition to the compulsory subjects at secondary schools level. 

Many of our children can't speak Nigerian Languages, even some University students are also guilty of this too. To preserve our local languages, rich tradition, and culture, I want to call upon the FG through the Federal Ministry of Education and the NASS to urgently pass a law to make students at the secondary level choose one Nigerian language that must be passed at both Junior and senior WAEC ,NECO. In addition to other compulsory subjects,at least a credit must be obtained in any of the Languages as a requirement for admission into any Nigerian tertiary institution. If this is achieved, it will have many benefits such as more trained teachers who studied Nigerian Languages will be motivated and employed. 

In addition to the preservation of our local languages, ultimately our rich culture will also be preserved and promoted, knowing full well that culture has a connection with Language.

If this is achieved, it will have many benefits such as more trained teachers who studied Nigerian Languages will be motivated and employed.
Re: Support making Nigerian Languages Compulsory In Seconday Schools/WAEC/NECO by Digitalwitch: 8:55pm On Jul 28, 2023
At expense of other languages?☹️☹️☹️
Re: Support making Nigerian Languages Compulsory In Seconday Schools/WAEC/NECO by Flakky26(f): 7:43am On Jul 31, 2023
I am concerned and I believe many other Nigerian too that our local Languages will go into extinction in a matter of a few decades to come if the Government doesn't take proactive steps. Countries like UK,Canada,Australia etc take English very seriously to the extent that they make a pass in IELTS compulsory for those interested to travel to their country for work and study, even when they know that such a person comes from a country like Nigeria that has English has her lingua franca.

In addition to the preservation of our local languages, ultimately our rich culture will also be preserved and promoted, knowing full well that culture has a connection with Language.

(1) (Reply)

UNIBEN Releases 2023/2024 Post-utme/de Admission Form / Blue Lotus Flower For Smoke Or Drink Tea / Yabatech Part Time Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.