Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,682 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages (15670 Views)

11 Brand New Courses To Be Taught In South African Universities / What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? / Why Sex Education Should Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools – SFH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Lukgaf(m): 5:22am On Jan 01, 2022
Without doubts, you'd agree with me that many students preparing for STEM subjects at O'level and undergrad really found it challenging. One of the reasons is the way mathematics some of this topics are being taught. Another challenge is the use of complex terms to explain the concept. I still recall my experiences at High School smiley

I think I agree with this FUTA Professor, I think all science subjects we ran away from should be taught and explained in our mother's tongue.

What do you think guys?

A Professor of Mathematics, Sunday Kayode, has made a case for the use of Nigerian languages in the teaching of mathematics as one of the strategies for demystifying the subject and enhancing its study among students at all levels of the country’s education system.

Professor Kayode gave the advice while delivering the 141st Inaugural Lecture of the Federal University of Technology Akure, on Tuesday, December 21, 2021.

He said efforts must be made by handlers of mathematics from primary to tertiary levels of education to remove the induced phobia towards mathematics by making the subject friendly to learners.

He added that teachers must bring the contents of the subject to the level of the learners by majorly using local materials, relating examples to the day-to-day life experiences of teachers and learners.

Professor Kayode said the teaching of mathematics in local languages and dialects should be introduced in the curriculum for the teaching of the subject to pupils at the primary level.

Adipolo
This he said should be supported by the production of textbooks in local languages at the developmental stage of the learners.

He said teaching the subject in the local languages and exemplifying its concepts with local materials and everyday examples that learners can relate with would make early learners easily internalize the subject and have little or no phobia for it.

Kayode said to discourage the importation of foreign teaching and laboratory materials, the government should also provide opportunities for local manufacturing of teaching materials and establishment of mathematics laboratories in schools.

He urged governments at the federal, state and local levels, as well as private individuals to make concerted and focused efforts at improving the funding of mathematical projects and research at all levels of mathematics education in Nigeria.

A Professor of Mathematics, Sunday Kayode, has made a case for the use of Nigerian languages in the teaching of mathematics as one of the strategies for demystifying the subject and enhancing its study among students at all levels of the country’s education system.

Professor Kayode gave the advice while delivering the 141st Inaugural Lecture of the Federal University of Technology Akure, on Tuesday, December 21, 2021.

He said efforts must be made by handlers of mathematics from primary to tertiary levels of education to remove the induced phobia towards mathematics by making the subject friendly to learners.

He added that teachers must bring the contents of the subject to the level of the learners by majorly using local materials, relating examples to the day-to-day life experiences of teachers and learners.

Professor Kayode said the teaching of mathematics in local languages and dialects should be introduced in the curriculum for the teaching of the subject to pupils at the primary level.

This he said should be supported by the production of textbooks in local languages at the developmental stage of the learners.

He said teaching the subject in the local languages and exemplifying its concepts with local materials and everyday examples that learners can relate with would make early learners easily internalize the subject and have little or no phobia for it.

Kayode said to discourage the importation of foreign teaching and laboratory materials, the government should also provide opportunities for local manufacturing of teaching materials and establishment of mathematics laboratories in schools.

He urged governments at the federal, state and local levels, as well as private individuals to make concerted and focused efforts at improving the funding of mathematical projects and research at all levels of mathematics education in Nigeria.

Professor Kayode said the popularization of mathematical sciences in Nigeria should be a national project, which he said is an attempt to reach out to wider audiences from all strata of society to provide a mathematical experience rather than a pedantic transfer of knowledge.

According to him, in doing this, a variety of media and strategies need to be adopted, such as films, television programmes, mathematics festivals, creation of a network of discussion groups clubs and societies.

Kayode, a one-time deputy vice-chancellor, Clifford University, Owerrinta, Abia State, said operators of educational institutions in the country should employ only qualified and competent mathematics teachers to teach the subject at all levels of education.

He also made a strong case for the regular training, retraining and remedial programmes for mathematics teachers to enhance their competence and relevance in modern pedagogy and handling of state-of-the-art teaching facilities

However, he noted that to be able to attract and retain qualified, competent and experienced mathematics teachers, there is the need to provide robust and attractive remuneration packages in form of allowances and incentives.

In his capacity as the chairman of the event, the vice-chancellor, Professor Joseph Fuwape, said the lecture was cerebral and lauded its adept delivery.

He described Kayode as an erudite scholar who had demonstrated academic leadership in the university community and had contributed immensely to the development of the body of knowledge in the area of his specialization.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/futa-don-recommends-use-of-nigerian-languages-in-teaching-of-mathematics/

21 Likes

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Lukgaf(m): 5:25am On Jan 01, 2022
My quick research also shows that this effort is even ongoing on Nairaland. There is a thread on Education section called

"Learn O'level And Undergrad Mathematics In Yoruba" where various STEM topics taught in some of these Nigeria languages such as Yoruba are being uploaded.

You might want to check here:

https://www.nairaland.com/6831137/learn-olevel-undergrad-mathematics-yoruba#108978658

Statistical analyses made easy (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW6_B-w9-04&list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXcnD3IyJQRGrzsJ3xhPDTgN

SSCE mathematics: from zero to Guru (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjoA-IuQdhI&list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXf8SEkUXGCtOtcIcnReMa48

Calculus in 5 minutes (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgYXCZBH3aw&list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXcU3RgYcRykGj0XdJrmHaDS

Complex numbers the easy way (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXd4iE240ciW3KihZd509pXE

Others:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSXNWNp1nEM4o2AbOgONZlQ/videos

In think we have to encourage more of this. To excel technically in Africa, we have to go this way!

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 6:11am On Jan 01, 2022
i dont agree,we have so many tribes to even start that. alot of confusion will happen. There are states with morethan 59 ethnic groups..English Language moderates alot of things in Nigeria.. National assemblies for instance,which tribe will be spoken there? no one will agree to speak others tribe, even if he agrees,he cant understand. the same thing will happen if we are taught in our tribes. There are some groups will less popularity and can hardly understand the majority tribes

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Lukgaf(m): 6:15am On Jan 01, 2022
Hisbah21:
i dont agree,we have so many tribes to even start that. alot of confusion will happen. There are states with morethan 59 ethnic groups..

Well I think each region can choose their major languages e.g Northern can choose Hausa, South West Yoruba and South East, Igbo. Those concepts can just be explained in these languages without changing the English terms. You see what I mean Sir?

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 6:17am On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:

Well I think each region can choose their major languages e.g Northern can choose Hausa, South West Yoruba and South East, Igbo. Those concepts can just be explained in these languages without changing the English terms. You see what I mean Sir?

do you know there are alot of people from North for instance that can hardly speak hausa. i once met a girl in kaduna,she was born and raised there.

7 Likes

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Lukgaf(m): 6:41am On Jan 01, 2022
Hisbah21:

do you know there are alot of people from North for instance that can hardly speak hausa. i once met a girl in kaduna,she was born and raised there.

Ehn ehn..my thought is every northerners can speak basic Hausa. If that should be the case, then those who can't speak Hausa should use the language they understand to explain. Thanks

5 Likes

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by kumulus(m): 9:13am On Jan 01, 2022
I totally agree, each region should teach subjects in their own language and also have classes that teaches other languages (even foreign ones).

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by kumulus(m): 9:16am On Jan 01, 2022
Hisbah21:
i dont agree,we have so many tribes to even start that. alot of confusion will happen. There are states with morethan 59 ethnic groups..English Language moderates alot of things in Nigeria.. National assemblies for instance,which tribe will be spoken there? no one will agree to speak others tribe, even if he agrees,he cant understand. the same thing will happen if we are taught in our tribes. There are some groups will less popularity and can hardly understand the majority tribes

They'll employ translators, that's the proper thing to do. Atleast funds that are easily looted through silly projects can be channeled towards creating employment for language and communication professionals.

9 Likes

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by talk2hb1(m): 9:51am On Jan 01, 2022
Computer Programming should be included too, I can't wait to see computer programming included in school curriculum!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Skyfornia(m): 11:37am On Jan 01, 2022
Misplaced priority

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by gbaskiboy: 11:37am On Jan 01, 2022
I agreed with this, China �� India �� and some other countries used local language in their school curriculum

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Gkay1(m): 11:37am On Jan 01, 2022
Each of the subject in Nigeria should have a local language teacher and inclusion of computer science from primary 3 onward.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by money121(m): 11:38am On Jan 01, 2022
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by chloride6: 11:38am On Jan 01, 2022
When will the switch from the native language to English happen?

Better don't start what you can't finish...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by tradepunter: 11:38am On Jan 01, 2022
True
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by jaxxy(m): 11:39am On Jan 01, 2022
Shut up. Dont people understand English?

3 Likes

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by DenreleDave(m): 11:39am On Jan 01, 2022
I regret not loving maths

I regret hating mathematics

I wish I embraced it earlier....

Maths is sweet if u embrace it but lazy folks like me run away from it...

10 Likes

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Born2Breed(f): 11:39am On Jan 01, 2022
So true
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by WhizdomXX(m): 11:39am On Jan 01, 2022
Q
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by BigDawsNet: 11:40am On Jan 01, 2022
grin. Math is very simple, we are only lazy..

I'm still learning math til today

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by beautyfunke(m): 11:40am On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:
My quick research also shows that this effort is even ongoing on Nairaland. There is a thread on Education section called

"Learn O'level And Undergrad Mathematics In Yoruba" where various STEM topics taught in some of these Nigeria languages such as Yoruba are being uploaded.

You might want to check here:

https://www.nairaland.com/6831137/learn-olevel-undergrad-mathematics-yoruba#108978658

In think we have to encourage more of this. To excel technically in Africa, we have to go this way! What do you lalasticlala?
sometime excess research makes someone mad and irrelevant In the society

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by FLYFIRE(m): 11:40am On Jan 01, 2022
What about history that they have removed to hide things from children

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by iamyemiakins(m): 11:40am On Jan 01, 2022
Maths kwa
Una wan start wetin una no fit finish o
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 11:40am On Jan 01, 2022
In English, we no understand am,, is it when it is now taught in Nigerian language we'll now understand it angry

6 Likes

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Freelane33(m): 11:40am On Jan 01, 2022
Lol
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by iCauseTrouble: 11:41am On Jan 01, 2022
sad
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by stalwart123(m): 11:41am On Jan 01, 2022
grin

Go and learn Ifa, it's thought in Nigerian language.

Ifa is mathematics and computing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by ejimatic: 11:41am On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:
Without doubts, you'd agree with me that many students preparing for STEM subjects at O'level and undergrad really found it challenging. One of the reasons is the way mathematics some of this topics are being taught. Another challenge is the use of complex terms to explain the concept. I still recall my experiences at High School smiley

I think I agree with this FUTA Professor, I think all science subjects we ran away from should be taught and explained in our mother's tongue.

What do you think guys?

https://tribuneonlineng.com/futa-don-recommends-use-of-nigerian-languages-in-teaching-of-mathematics/
Prof Afolayan in 1978 recommended that mother tonques should be used to teach Maths and many subjects in primary and secondary schools. How many schools accepted the. recommendations? The prof in this report will not let his children speak English at home.as it applies to many other educated Nigerians. Until we change our attitude to our mother
tonques Nigeriann indigenous languages will soon go into extinction.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by danietohbadt(m): 11:42am On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:

So, what happens when a Yoruba man who learnt Mathematics in Yoruba gets a job in Anambra?
Then aside that, what happens when it comes to writing unified examinations like JAMB?
What happens when a Yoruba boy leaves his home to write post utme in a federal university in the North?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Exkandayee(m): 11:42am On Jan 01, 2022
He's very right,but that's not gonna be possible, Igbo language is not recognize,and root accent will make it to be harder than English,but anyways, maths was my best sub in sec and uni,i tried though, at least I'm proud of myself, even if nairaland no see me
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Agricmoney(m): 11:42am On Jan 01, 2022
yeah it should.

Anyway, Agriculture is life.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Martinez39s(m): 11:42am On Jan 01, 2022
First overhaul and reform the curricula and syllabi of junior and secondary schools, even the of some university courses. That's more important.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

JAMB Holds Mock UTME Exams Tomorrow / Largest Universities In Nigeria By Land Mass- Check Unilag, Oou,unilorin E.t.c / Lagos Public And Private Schools To Resume On Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.