Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them (18871 Views)

House Of Reps Blasts Bello El-Rufai For Denying Receiving SUV / Akume: I’ve Donated My N20m For Nomination Form To APC / Aisha Yesufu Blasts Rotimi Amaechi For Denying Kidnappers' Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by brainhgeek(m): 4:27pm On Jul 27, 2023
Sweet news!
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Jalaw: 4:28pm On Jul 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Some years ago, I was shocked when one very lovely lady from Akwa Ibom lamented how their culture compels the female children to contribute more for their father's burial yet forbidden from inheritance. She was close to tears that day because she was away from work here in Lagos for 2 weeks, travelled to her village in Akwa Ibom and had to empty her savings for her father's burial. Till date, I still remember her pain on such unfair practice in her culture. She was very close to cursing her brothers and her culture that day.

All these kind of injustice need to stop. These female children do not deserve to be cheated like this and I am happy that a court has come to their rescue. Iniebe Effiong forming human rights lawyer in Lagos is from this state o but I have never read of where he championed campaign against such injustice. The current Senate President is from there too yet no law is against such obnoxious cultural practices.

This Judge is taking the lead to redress this injustice but the state assembly needs to still make law to punish people like this uncle who was about to take the property away from his nieces because they are females.

In the absence of real laws to stop this kind of unfair cultural prejudices against the female child, my advice to ladies not from places like Akwa Ibom is that you should shine your eyes before love carries you to Akwa Ibom and you receive the shock of your life that your female children are inferior and forbidden from inheriting what you and your husband slaved for to pass on as inheritance.

Love is sweet but in marriage,love is not all that marriage entails o. Understand the culture of the place where who you want to tie up your lifetime with hails from o. Abo oro la nso fun Omoluabi........

Guy you sat down to type all this gibberish.
You nor get work.
Always on this forum 24/7
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by julaion: 4:31pm On Jul 27, 2023
Zico5:
How can u deny ur blood sister good things of life that both of u are entitled to cos she is a female. This is so common in south east and south south. I think the state governments need to look into this issue. Many have died due to issue like this. It's very bad and crude at the same time. Now uncles are also claiming the same things. Wonders shall never end.
why didn't you mention north
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by alobright17(m): 4:33pm On Jul 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/female-inheritance-court-orders-a-ibom-man-to-pay-nieces-n20m/

He's the one that sent the matter to court and still lose wotowoto. So female born are not children again or what? This uncle too dey watch nollywood movie alot that's why he believe he can deny them their own late fathers property.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by lolu2019: 4:41pm On Jul 27, 2023
Bluntguy:
Akwa Ibom and wickedness to women and young girls be like 5&6
nor be lie.their men are very wicked.same with Igbo men.that is why a lot of their girls are into prostitution.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by lexyclasy: 4:49pm On Jul 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Some years ago, I was shocked when one very lovely lady from Akwa Ibom lamented how their culture compels the female children to contribute more for their father's burial yet forbidden from inheritance. She was close to tears that day because she was away from work here in Lagos for 2 weeks, travelled to her village in Akwa Ibom and had to empty her savings for her father's burial. Till date, I still remember her pain on such unfair practice in her culture. She was very close to cursing her brothers and her culture that day.

All these kind of injustice need to stop. These female children do not deserve to be cheated like this and I am happy that a court has come to their rescue. Iniebe Effiong forming human rights lawyer in Lagos is from this state o but I have never read of where he championed campaign against such injustice. The current Senate President is from there too yet no law is against such obnoxious cultural practices.

This Judge is taking the lead to redress this injustice but the state assembly needs to still make law to punish people like this uncle who was about to take the property away from his nieces because they are females.

In the absence of real laws to stop this kind of unfair cultural prejudices against the female child, my advice to yet-to-be married ladies not from places like Akwa Ibom is that you should shine your eyes before love carries you to Akwa Ibom and you receive the shock of your life that your female children are considered inferior and culturally forbidden from inheriting what you and your husband slaved for to pass on as inheritance.

Love is sweet but in marriage,love is not all that marriage entails o. Understand the culture of the place where who you want to tie up your lifetime with hails from o. Abo oro la nso fun Omoluabi........
The state assembly has pass it into law before the end of the 7th assembly
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by ABIODUNOLAOPA1(m): 4:53pm On Jul 27, 2023
Lazy goldigger of an uncle. Serves him right.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by kokoA(m): 4:54pm On Jul 27, 2023
This is why Africa isn't progressing.. A man's wealth belongs to his wife and children in the absence of a will.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by drololaaof: 5:00pm On Jul 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/female-inheritance-court-orders-a-ibom-man-to-pay-nieces-n20m/

The judge should have quoted Numbers 27 v 7 the case of the daughters of Zelophehad against their kinsmen when they reported them to Moses, and God ordered Moses to share to them their fathers inheritance

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Vifx: 5:08pm On Jul 27, 2023
Good good
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by KennethEnyi(m): 5:09pm On Jul 27, 2023
Macphenson:
Honestly female children should have equal stakes with male children in a family.

Why?!!
A female child can never be as important as a male child
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by KennethEnyi(m): 5:11pm On Jul 27, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
Most of these traditions against women are becoming outdated & should be discarded.

Go Saudi Arabia Na
Where u are nothing without a husband
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by KennethEnyi(m): 5:13pm On Jul 27, 2023
Dotherightthing:
How can an uncle deny children of their father's inheritance

Sharrap
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by olayinka63: 5:14pm On Jul 27, 2023
Coming from acclaimed civilised Southern region. They marginalised their woomen while pointing to Muslim women that wee given equitable share in Islamic sharia. So barbaric!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Macphenson: 5:15pm On Jul 27, 2023
KennethEnyi:

Why?!!
A female child can never be as important as a male child

Thats archaic thinking. Times have changed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by KennethEnyi(m): 5:19pm On Jul 27, 2023
Macphenson:

Thats archaic thinking. Times have changed

Is a lie times can never change from the days of yore

Even God said it when he placed all value on men over women
Women just follow man come this world to serve am bear him children and relive his stress Shikina
Thy ate to bow their heads low and keep low-key If they make noise we slap the hell outta them
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by SmartPolician: 5:24pm On Jul 27, 2023
Bluntguy:

It's not just about Akwa Ibom. All over the world, women are often considered inferior to men and are denied certain rights. However, Western education is changing the narratives now. It will take a while for some African countries to totally drop those obnoxious traditions.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by wiseone28: 5:39pm On Jul 27, 2023
Bluntguy:
Face the topic and leave tribe alone idiot..

Where you are from is not better.
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by 2mch(m): 5:40pm On Jul 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
The court said: “The maltreatment is opprobrium, offensive and unconstitutional.”
The court held that it was high time paramount rulers, clan heads, village heads and community leaders in Akwa Ibom State came to terms with the facts that female children have equal stake with their male counterparts to inherit their parents property

It serves him right. He even had the effontery to take his nieces to court so the court can restrain his nieces and allow him exercise his right over the property that should naturally be inherited by his nieces. Their 'offence'; they are females shocked Smh.

If this kind of injustice is not stopped anywhere such obnoxious practices is still being done in Akwa Ibom and other states then brothers may start killing their wealthy brothers and their sons who should inherit the wealth so they can inherit the property that belongs to the wealthy siblings' children niyen o. Check my signature for free stuffs!
A lot of couples use love to deceive themselves. The background and culture of the person you marry matter even more. Some cultures are an automatic disqualification because it is very barbaric and primitive. Ask very important questions about family background and culture before marriage. It is very important. Never bestow on your children such wicked practices.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by wiseone28: 5:46pm On Jul 27, 2023
lolu2019:
nor be lie.their men are very wicked.same with Igbo men.that is why a lot of their girls are into prostitution.
Yoruba are not wicked but they use their people for skull mining..

Dey cap nonsense

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by samwillyco1(m): 5:48pm On Jul 27, 2023
This one don use his hands and legs go buy market of 20million naira

grin grin grin grin
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Welrez(m): 5:54pm On Jul 27, 2023
Zico5:
How can u deny ur blood sister good things of life that both of u are entitled to cos she is a female. This is so common in south east and south south. I think the state governments need to look into this issue. Many have died due to issue like this. It's very bad and crude at the same time. Now uncles are also claiming the same things. Wonders shall never end.
Not in all South-South cultures. You cannot try this nonsense in Ijaw land!
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Justiceleague1: 6:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
The court said: “The maltreatment is opprobrium, offensive and unconstitutional.”
The court held that it was high time paramount rulers, clan heads, village heads and community leaders in Akwa Ibom State came to terms with the facts that female children have equal stake with their male counterparts to inherit their parents property

It serves him right. He even had the effontery to take his nieces to court so the court can restrain his nieces and allow him exercise his right over the property that should naturally be inherited by his nieces. Their 'offence'; they are females shocked Smh.

If this kind of injustice is not stopped anywhere such obnoxious practices is still being done in Akwa Ibom and other states then brothers may start killing their wealthy brothers and their sons who should inherit the wealth so they can inherit the property that belongs to the wealthy siblings' children niyen o. Check my signature for free stuffs!
As if you understand what those words mean grin
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by worksmart(m): 6:07pm On Jul 27, 2023
Let us put sentiments aside, In these parts of the country females when married move to their husbands family hence why the do not inherit their father's property. If a man has no sons, his brother would inherit his property.

I think this case is a delicate one that should be handled with maturity by all parties.

The young ladies should respect that in traditional law that the uncle owns the property and not be seen to be dragging ownership with him.

The uncle on his own part recognise that his nieces have right to live free in the property and give them all the grace he can manage until such time as they marry and move to their husbands home or die. Basically uncle must ensure the neices have all the freedom to continue to enjoy their father's property as they were when the father was alive.

The court order is of no consequence because if uncle does not have N20m he does not have it. Federal is largely ignored in villages where traditional law exists.
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Benekkk: 6:14pm On Jul 27, 2023
I have a mixed set of twins. I can’t imagine why my daughter will seem inferior to her twin brother for any reason whatsoever. Quite repugnant reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by lolu2019: 6:16pm On Jul 27, 2023
wiseone28:
Yoruba are not wicked but they use their people for skull mining..

Dey cap nonsense
how is what u just said related to dis discuss.we are talking about the inheritance of a girl child here.be it wife or the girls in the house.that is y your girls easily fall for Yoruba guys.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by wiseone28: 6:17pm On Jul 27, 2023
lolu2019:
how is what u just said related to dis discuss.we are talking about the inheritance of a girl child here.be it wife or the girls in the house.that is y your girls easily fall for Yoruba guys.
You are still typing nonsense
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by powerhouse3(m): 6:24pm On Jul 27, 2023
Bluntguy:
I know you'll be here casting aspersions on Akwa ibomite for a crime of few people...

It's not that your people are better oo
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by lolu2019: 6:27pm On Jul 27, 2023
wiseone28:
You are still typing nonsense
yeah,I know.that is y the Yoruba's are at the top.and the the Igbo's are no where.if u see any area or family developing,it is the women there that are doing a great job.u can treat ur women like a social leper and expect great things to happen to u.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by powerhouse3(m): 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

In the absence of real laws and strong political will to stop this kind of unfair cultural prejudices against the female child, my advice to yet-to-be married ladies not from places like Akwa Ibom is that you should shine your eyes before love carries you to Akwa Ibom and you receive the shock of your life that your female children are considered inferior and culturally forbidden from inheriting what you and your husband slaved for to pass on as inheritance.

...this is madness...it's does not happen
Now do you know the tale people say about Nigerian all because they want a stay in foreign land ...it's same pattern the use all because they're expecting sympathy which can make you part with your money...

There's no law in Akwa ibom that expect a female child to contribute more to thier father burials than the male child..

All my sister share equally in the inheritance my p-man left behind....
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Menclothing: 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2023
Children should have equal right to our inheritance

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Operation Crocodile Smile Has Halted Pipelines Bombings / Fayose Distributes Agege Bread In Ekiti Through His Aides / Ekiti Murder: Fayemi Commiserates With Ojo’s Family, Urges Police To Find Killer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.